Recommendations for your fellow zoners.

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:01 pm

Wolfpack wrote:I've been listening to Thom Yorke's solo album, "The Eraser." Decent stuff.

Man I used to get fd up and listen to that album a ton.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Brocktune on Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:41 pm

MonkeyM666 wrote:Hey Brock, I just want to thank you for you subliminal recommendation for April March... pretty sweet tunes. I'm really digging it.

dude, im so glad!!!

she is so awesome. if you like her solo stuff, you should try to track down some material by one of her older bands "The Shitbirds". they are way more punk than her solo stuff, but the record is infectious nonetheless.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Wolfpack on Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:02 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:I've been listening to Thom Yorke's solo album, "The Eraser." Decent stuff.

I'm currently digging "Cymbal Rush" and "Analyse." Speaking of "Analyse," there's this really good fan-made video for it on Youtube.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:14 pm

Wolfpack wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

I'm currently digging "Cymbal Rush" and "Analyse." Speaking of "Analyse," there's this really good fan-made video for it on Youtube.

That's a pretty sweet video.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:24 pm

doglips wrote:
Brocktune wrote:ok, this isnt a recommendation, but rather, a request for one, or several.

now this one is probably going to be primarily for the uk'ers. and please forgive me if i am displaying some serious lameness here but....

any of you blokes got any recs for garage records? any artists or comps that stick out to anyone, or that are noteworthy? since 2000, ive decided i really like the sound, and want more. but as there is no scene over here, at least not one that i am involved with anyways. so to dl stuff, i would essentially be throwing a dart at the phone book as it were.

and also, wtf is the difference between garage and 2 step?

and? am i correct in assuming that garage is the more popular of the two.

like i said, if my knowledge of the underground uk dance scene is a bit dated, please forgive me. its been a while since i had the opportunity to buy records in england.

Garage is pretty much a catch all term over here now for 'urban music' the scene is so wide and convoluted that it's difficult to pin anything down unless you really know your shit - i.e. you are involved in an underground garage scene.

2-step has been bastardised into chart friendly garage by Craig David, Artful Dodger etc. Grime was born out of 2-step as the scene went back underground but now grime is being bastardised as it becomes more chart friendly - see Dizzee's latest album ( pretty good but an ocean away from Boy in da Corner )

I imagine you would like this which is dubstep - the most accessible ( in locating it, not content ) scene, receiving a lot of press over here at the moment.

I'm no expert on garage and it's 150 offshoots - VB always seemed to know his stuff, maybe he will chime in if you PM him this thread link........

plus dey call it 'garige', no' 'Garage'
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Flumm on Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:22 pm

Brocktune wrote:
MonkeyM666 wrote:Hey Brock, I just want to thank you for you subliminal recommendation for April March... pretty sweet tunes. I'm really digging it.

dude, im so glad!!!

she is so awesome. if you like her solo stuff, you should try to track down some material by one of her older bands "The Shitbirds". they are way more punk than her solo stuff, but the record is infectious nonetheless.

You know, I meant to say when you first posted, Brocks, that I had heard "Chrominance Decoder" through Last.FM and ate it up.

Do you still have your codecs plugged in, 'cause thinking back it may well have you who had put it in the mix in the first place.

Either way, love that song, seems like I need to finish what's been started there.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:47 pm

I'm just reading HEAT, by George Monbiot and really enjoying it.

It's his book about climate change and how to prevent it. It's intelligently written and thoroughly researched. What I like most about it, is how he shows the amount of spin involved in the whole debate.

A slight point of irritation might be how he portrays all economists as cold and soulless bastards. But other than that- it's brilliant so far.

I can't really say anything about the viability of the solutions he proposes yet- but I'm very curious to find out.

Anyway- well worth a read! Do any of you read his columns in the Guardian?
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:55 pm

Dee E. Goppstober wrote:I'm just reading HEAT, by George Monbiot and really enjoying it.

It's his book about climate change and how to prevent it. It's intelligently written and thoroughly researched. What I like most about it, is how he shows the amount of spin involved in the whole debate.

A slight point of irritation might be how he portrays all economists as cold and soulless bastards. But other than that- it's brilliant so far.

I can't really say anything about the viability of the solutions he proposes yet- but I'm very curious to find out.

Anyway- well worth a read! Do any of you read his columns in the Guardian?

Dee, I think you may have wandered into the music thread by mistake, I'd repost this here or here.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:56 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: Ah- sorry 'bout that! I just saw 'recommendations' and got excited.

Thanks!
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:09 pm

but as to music - with a bovine touch as well-

this Hungarian band is quite nice.
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Brocktune on Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:41 pm

Flumm wrote:
Brocktune wrote:

dude, im so glad!!!

You know, I meant to say when you first posted, Brocks, that I had heard "Chrominance Decoder" through Last.FM and ate it up.

Do you still have your codecs plugged in, 'cause thinking back it may well have you who had put it in the mix in the first place.

Either way, love that song, seems like I need to finish what's been started there.

i <3 Flumm

that song is so good, i seriously recommend the rest of the record.

and if you need even more convincing, then HERE you go! please enjoy!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Candygram For Mongo

Postby PuppyDog on Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:07 pm

If you guys like Rock and Roll - fun, powerpop, rock - than check out Candygram For Mongo (www.candygramformongo.com). I saw them at The Cat Club on The Strip, and they killed!
PuppyDog
GLIB

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:47 pm

Anybody who is a McLusky fan you need to check out Future of the Left. It's McLusky with a new bassist I believe.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:35 pm

Man I am loving ths Future of the Left cd.

Some crunchy rock goodness for sure.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby darkjedijaina on Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:52 am

omgz, someone recommend me some good upbeat music to keep me awake / going at work. i'm getting tired of listening to what i have.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:59 am

The Go! team?
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:08 am

MonkeyM666 wrote:The Go! team?

Damn good band. The first cd was such a surprise and it blew me away.

The new one was more of the same when I expected more. It doesn't mean it was bad just not as good as it couldve been.

They are one fun act to see live too. I will be seeing them the end of the month for the fourth time.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:10 am

That sounds like they would be fun live. I only have the new album and I like it heaps., Just good solid fun.

Another one for you DJJ would be any newer Deefhoof album. me likey...
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby darkjedijaina on Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:28 am

thx. i'll check em out on iTunes when i get home.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:33 am

MonkeyM666 wrote:That sounds like they would be fun live. I only have the new album and I like it heaps., Just good solid fun.

Another one for you DJJ would be any newer Deefhoof album. me likey...

They actually get hipsters dancing. One of the few that can.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:36 am

:lol:

I so want to see them live. I missed them when they were in London when I was last there. I imagine that it would be a bit mad.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Previous

Return to Music