Recommendations for your fellow zoners.

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu May 25, 2006 6:06 pm

i got a recommendation , GG ALLIN , any of this dudes albums , or the HATED dvd
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:56 pm

I recommend the following LPs

Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twin - "Rabbit Fur Coat"
Rilo Kiley - "The Execution of All Things"
+44 - "When Your Heart Stops Beating"
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:13 pm

Menomena - Friend and Foe
Menomena crafts the sort of album that requires your full attention. Juggling a wild sense of experimental pop, psychedelia and indie.

Incredible Moses Leroy - become the Soft.Lightes
Wonderful pop music. You cant be sad after listening to this album.

Busdriver - roadkillovercoat
Best rap album of 2007 so far.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby doglips on Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:50 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Menomena - Friend and Foe
Menomena crafts the sort of album that requires your full attention. Juggling a wild sense of experimental pop, psychedelia and indie.

I was reading about this, so now you have recc'd it, I'll give it a go.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:09 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:
stereosforgeek s wrote:Menomena - Friend and Foe

I was reading about this, so now you have recc'd it, I'll give it a go.

Ohh I love them. They sort of do a jazz based post-rocky indie pop type thing.

There first album I am the fun blame monster was great.
Then they changed it up and did a 3 song instrumental album.
Now Friend and Foe seems to marry the two styles perfectly.

They have some crazy vids on youtube, as well.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:22 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I recommend the following LPs

Not a fan of More Adventurous, eh?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:24 pm

Ribbons wrote:

Not as much as Execution.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:25 pm

Ribbons wrote:

Thats probably my favorite rilo kiley.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:55 pm

i recommend any hip-hop fans head over to Stones Throw for a free, that's right...FREE album of various Stones Throw (natch) artists throwin' down some interesting Cali stoner hip-hop, Four Tet produced miasma's of sound, and some rare 70's funk.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:02 pm

Cheers, KC. Much obliged.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Brocktune on Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:07 pm

king_of_nowhere wrote:i got a recommendation , GG ALLIN , any of this dudes albums , or the HATED dvd

HATED is an instant classic.

and in a world of poseurs and wannabe's, G.G. Allin was about as punk rock as it got. seriously. at first, a lot of the stuff he says in "HATED" sounds ridiculous, and moronically pompous. but when you think about it, and i mean really think about it, he was right about a lot of that shit.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

GBV

Postby yaz67 on Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:52 pm

Three words-Guided by Voices

Honorable mention-Dream Syndicate
yaz67
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby vicious_bastard on Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:45 pm

Discovered Tommy Keene a few weeks before I left the UK and have been listening to his inexplicably unsuccessful album Songs From The Film a shitload on my travels. Power-pop genius. You might have heard Places That Are Gone before, my favourite track. Way ahead of it's time.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby Eunuch Provocateur on Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:22 am

The Black Keys' Rubber Factory

MewithoutYou's Catch for us the Foxes as well as Brother, Sister.

Joanna Newsom's albums (The Milk-Eyed Mender is so much different from Ys)

At the [motherfucking] Drive-in's albums

The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldier

The White Stripes - Get Behind me Satan
There's no Devil, just God when he's drunk. -Tom Waits.
Eunuch Provocateur
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:10 pm

Dalek, Abandoned Language.

Recommended for Tony Wilson, Brocktune (found the 8th CD to send ya'!), sterosforgeeks (he's like Mikey, he'll try anything), stans of the Def Jux wall of sound, the Anticon aesthetic...

Tallest blogger in the game (seriously, he's like 6'8'') Tom Breihan gave it a 7.7 today at P-Fuck, and while I've noticed a disconcerting trend of the P-Fucks to score albums a bit too highly of late, from what I've heard so far a 7.7 seems a bit too low.

Here's track 3, courtesy of the Triton, Paragraphs Relentless
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:42 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Dalek, Abandoned Language.

ah yes.
the darlings of Ipecac Records.

i understand patton actually sucked their dicks to get them to sign. :wink:

and i thank you good sir, for sparing my internet connection yet another download!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Thu May 17, 2007 7:57 am

TonyWilson wrote: I'm on a one man mission to bring The Knife to people's attention.

The first album, Deep Cuts, is very very good but sadly flawed as well, they go a little bit too trancy on a couple of tracks, but reign that in for most of the album. Best tracks are Hearteats, Pass This On, and the epic You Take My Breath Away.
The new album called Silent Shout is a very different prospect, the cheesy dance has been stripped away to concentrate on synth harmonics giving the album a ethereal but sometimes queasy (in a good way, honest) feel.

Yay! I've been listening to Deep Cuts for a while - I borrowed a cd from a friend with Postal Service and this on it. I've only just managed to find out that it's the Knife.

I love the cheesy steel pan keyboards in Pass it On... they make me feel like summer :D And Heartbeats is bittersweet - and I like the pace of Rock Classics a lot as well.

I've just listened to bits of Silent Shout - it's very different, but it grates my spine in a good way.

ilikeitilikeitilikeit!!!!
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu May 17, 2007 8:02 am

I heard a band last night from a band called Izabo... at least I think it was izabo... has anypne heard of them as I'd like to get hold of the album.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu May 17, 2007 8:04 am

This has probably been discussed to death elsewhere - but what did you all think of the new Arctic Monkeys album? I'm really not very au fait with bands, but that album seemed pretty decent from start to finish....
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Fri May 25, 2007 5:59 pm

ok, ive been holding off from doing this for a while now. i keep thinking to myself "im gonna post that shit, i just need to post pics with it". posting pics with it means that i gotta do it from home, because i cant do it from work. but then i never have time at home, so i never end up doing it, only thinking about doing it. so, you know what, fuck the fuckin pics. im just going to do this with links. so i have two recommendations for you, my fellow zoners.

1. GRINDERMAN. ok, now that i have your attention, let me start by saying that this is not a recommendation for grinderman. that record needs no more positive word of mouth. but, it is important that i grab the attention of the grinderman fans. I have been listening to said record for a week or two now, and i like it quite a bit. but every time i listen to it, i cant help but be reminded of one of my favorite albums of all times. Get Off the Cross, We Need the Wood for Fire by the group Firewater

not that they necessarily sound alike mind you, it's just... i don't know. i think it's something about the way cave sings on the record, coupled with that piano and saxophone that keep popping up. anyway, back in the day, i saw this band Firewater open up for the squirrel nut zippers. the only thing i knew about them was that Duane Denison (The Jesus Lizard, Tomahawk, Denison/Kimball Trio etc.) was in the band. good! i fucking love the silver fox (as those of us "in the know" call him). needless to say, firewater almost upstaged the zippers, and the next day i HAD to go out and get this album no matter what. i had to drive a million miles to get it, but boy was it worth it. i swear, i wore my copy the fuck out. and by the time i was finally starting to tire of it, my buddies had fallen in love with it. now, Firewater still exists, but The Silver Fox departed after one lonely record. I bought the follow up, entitled "The Ponzi Scheme". it was allright, but a mere husk of what the band once was. so after all of this long winded bullshit, i urge you, fans of grinderman to seek out, and aurally imbibe the sounds of GET OFF THE CROSS, WE NEED THE WOOD FOR FIRE by FIREWATER. it's like this booze fuelled ride to an insane asylum in hell in the rumble seat of Blackbeard the Pirate's car. every track will get stuck in your head, but in the good way. Tod A's lyrics are the perfect combination of sorrow, disgust, indifference, rejection and revenge. Denison's dissonances really make the intoxicated paranoia practically palpable. I dont fucking remember who plays keys, and/or sax (allmusic keeps crashing my system for some reason. i was lucky to get those links), but they add the perfecting touches to every song. throw in a guest appearance by the beautiful ms. Jennifer Charles (Elysian Fields, Loveage), and you have yourself one damn near perfect record. please, cave fans, wont you give this largely unheard of gem a try?

2. TINARIWEN - ok, this time, the recommendation IS for the aforementioned band. When i went to see "Glastonbury: The Film", i was running a few minutes late. when i walked into the theater, there was this band playing, and they looked like they were right out of Lawrence of Arabia, with the robes and headpieces they were wearing. only, they had electric guitars, and basses. i only caught like the last five seconds of their performance, and that was all they showed of them. I made a mental note to myself, to see what these guys were all about. well, now that i have checked them out, i cant safely say that i fucking love these guys. they just get such an irresistible groove going. i have read people describe the feel of Tinariwen as like John Lee Hooker if he lived in the sahara desert. which, is where these Tuareg rebels hail from (Mali to be more precise) or so I'm told. anyways, i sort of thought of these guys as almost a more bluesy cross between Fela, and Bob Marley. it is chill enough that you'll never want to blaze down without "Aman Iman" playing in the background ever again. It is revolutionary and philosophical in spirit, and verse. and it is waaaay catchy and danceable. whenever i am like super ripped, and listening to these guys at maximum volume, i totally go into a trance, and the rest of the world seems to disappear. i understand that not a lot of people go in for, or can stomach music from other countries. and depending on what country that music is from, it will often be met with much ignorance, racism and intolerance. These guys are a primo example of that. for instance the first time i brought the "Amassakoul" album into work, my boss gave me this look like i was crazy, and promptly asked "where's saddam?". my rage was nearly palpable. so, this band isn't for idiots. but i cant praise these guys enough. i really dig their sound, and i totally wanted to tell you guys about it.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Sat May 26, 2007 12:49 am

I picked up that Firewater album this evening... haven't finished it yet, but it's quite good.

I can see why you thought of it after hearing Grinderman, but as I'm listening to it I'm thinking: what if Shane MacGowan grew up in the American West, instead of Dublin?

Good stuff. Thanks for the suggestion!

EDIT: So who's the woman who sings "Mr. Cardiac"? Sounds like Fiona Apple.

EDIT X2: This band opened for Squirrel Nut Zippers? Jesus, that must have been a fun show. Did they do any mixing and matching? I can see the SNZs doing "Bourbon & Division"
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Brocktune on Tue May 29, 2007 3:20 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:I can see why you thought of it after hearing Grinderman, but as I'm listening to it I'm thinking: what if Shane MacGowan grew up in the American West, instead of Dublin?

excellent observation!

St. Alphonzo wrote:EDIT: So who's the woman who sings "Mr. Cardiac"? Sounds like Fiona Apple.

Jennifer Charles

i saw her perform with Lovage on the one tour they did. she was so hot, my shirt melted to my fucking chest.

St. Alphonzo wrote:EDIT X2: This band opened for Squirrel Nut Zippers? Jesus, that must have been a fun show. Did they do any mixing and matching? I can see the SNZs doing "Bourbon & Division"

sadly no.
i can only imagine how cool that would have been.
but the show was amazing! i only got to see the zippers twice, and despite the second time being a more intimate show, the first one was better. but it was before tom maxwell and ken mosher left the band, so of course it was. actually, that show made it into my top five of all times. if it isnt on that list anymore, its still real close to the top.
Last edited by Brocktune on Tue May 29, 2007 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wharto on Tue May 29, 2007 5:25 pm

Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank
Editors - An End Has A Start
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
Suck My Balls!
wharto
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby godzillasushi on Tue May 29, 2007 5:33 pm

Ah I was going to put this up earlier.

Trivium - The Crusade

Best way to describe them is a combination of Iron Maiden, and Metallica. And that's a great combo to sound like.

ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:32 pm

Dee E. Goppstober wrote:
TonyWilson wrote: I'm on a one man mission to bring The Knife to people's attention.

The first album, Deep Cuts, is very very good but sadly flawed as well, they go a little bit too trancy on a couple of tracks, but reign that in for most of the album. Best tracks are Hearteats, Pass This On, and the epic You Take My Breath Away.
The new album called Silent Shout is a very different prospect, the cheesy dance has been stripped away to concentrate on synth harmonics giving the album a ethereal but sometimes queasy (in a good way, honest) feel.

I've been listening to Deep Cuts for a while - I borrowed a cd from a friend with Postal Service and this on it. I've only just managed to find out that it's the Knife.

I love the cheesy steel pan keyboards in Pass it On... they make me feel like summer :D And Heartbeats is bittersweet - and I like the pace of Rock Classics a lot as well.

I've just listened to bits of Silent Shout - it's very different, but it grates my spine in a good way.

ilikeitilikeitilikeit!!!!

Hm. In hindsight - I might have to revise my statement on Silent Shout. Somehow I find it really difficult to get into most songs - they seem kind of too placidly moody. But maybe it's just because it's so different from Deep Cuts. I'll give it another try... I still really want to like the album, because I liked Deep Cuts so much - so I'll be persistent.
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby minstrel on Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:54 pm

There's been some talk about guitars over in the Right Now thread, and it made me think of this.

Since I started trying to learn fingerstyle guitar a few weeks ago, I started looking for good fingerstylists.

And I found God.

God's real name is Tommy Emmanuel. He's an Aussie bloke who can play an acoustic guitar like nobody I've ever heard. I bought a couple of concert DVDs of his. His Live At Sheldon Concert Hall is amazing.

He's a friendly and humorous performer with awesome technical skill. And unlike most technically amazing guitarists, he's very, very musical - masterful control of dynamics, timbre, time, tone.

And his original compositions are tuneful and beautifully harmonized, unlike certain other fingerstylists I could name (Leo Kottke, I'm looking at you).

Tommy has been around forever, but I only became aware of him recently.

So if you're a guitarist, and you aren't into him yet, I suggest you check him out. There are several videos of him on Youtube, but it seems to me that most of them don't catch him at his best.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:41 am

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone could recomend some classical/soundtrack ablums too me. I'm running dry and even though I love what I've got I just want some more!!
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:45 am

You want a mix of the two or separate reccs?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:58 am

The Conversation score is a stone cold classic, Monkey. You probably know it already though.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:08 am

doglips wrote:You want a mix of the two or separate reccs?

Either or really dog. I'm not fissed. I listen to it when I'm at work, helps me think.

Tony, hell yeah I know it.... but I'd forgotten all about it! TO ITUNES!!!! Thanks dude :D
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:27 am

One soundtrack that I listen to frequently is Ravenous by Damon Albarn and Michael Nyman.

It's very orchestral in it's production and features a very odd mix of instrumentation. It's pretty dark in tone with some excellent juxtaposition of jaunty melody - each track has an uncomfortable combination of styles that give the whole album an extremely unified feel. Every time I listen to it I always expect it to have dated, but it always sounds suprisingly contemporary.

I cannot wait to hear what Albarn has written for the new Monkey Opera - I'm debating the purchase of tickets.

EDIT - Just looking through my ITunes, 'They Call Me MISTER Tibbs!' by Quincy Jones is a goody, equally floorfilling funk and subtle soul.

I really want the Sunshine score, but it's not out yet.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:45 am

Monkey Opera????? Cool....

WIKIING NOW! :D

Thanks for the heads up Dog, I'll have a look right now. I did find something VERY nerdy which I'm currently listening too. a Final Fantasy orchestral concert. hehehe... basically they've taken some of the favourite songs from the entire series of games and set up the full orchestra and live audience and had at it. It's called 'More Friends music from FINAL FANTASY' by the World festival symphony orchestra.

Swing de Chocoboo, what’s currently playing has people in the audience cheering and laughing with the bipatibop beat and jazzy drums. It’s actually pretty cool.

I also hear that the Sunshine soundtrack is very good, not that I've heard it as yet but I've read good things.

EDIT: I've actually just found something else in my search, errr I mean work :?... The Black Mages, a Japanese instrumental rock band. Anyone heard of them?
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:00 am

Info on 'Monkey - Journey to the West' is here

I've got a day off when it is on in Manchester but the tickets are pretty expensive. I think it is going to tour, just want to find out where it is going.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:14 am

Cool, thanks Dog... It looks a whole lot like every other monkey thing done in Asia, but an opera?! That would be very interesting...

mee...mee....mee...mee....

la...la....la.....

<ahem>

Born from an egg on a mountain top, the funkiest Monkey that ever popped,
He knew every magic trick under the sun, to tease the gods and everyone can have some fun.
Monkey magic, Monkey magic, Monkey magic, Monkey magic, Monkey magic, Monkey magic ooh...

I think I got the words wrong :?
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:11 pm

ok, this isnt a recommendation, but rather, a request for one, or several.

now this one is probably going to be primarily for the uk'ers. and please forgive me if i am displaying some serious lameness here but....

any of you blokes got any recs for garage records? any artists or comps that stick out to anyone, or that are noteworthy? since 2000, ive decided i really like the sound, and want more. but as there is no scene over here, at least not one that i am involved with anyways. so to dl stuff, i would essentially be throwing a dart at the phone book as it were.

and also, wtf is the difference between garage and 2 step?

and? am i correct in assuming that garage is the more popular of the two.

like i said, if my knowledge of the underground uk dance scene is a bit dated, please forgive me. its been a while since i had the opportunity to buy records in england.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:24 pm

The Moths are sort of a garage type band just burgeoning over there.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Brocktune on Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:33 pm

now are you talking about uk garage, like the techno-y stuff, or an actual u.s. style garage band?

once again, please forgive any ignorance or idiocy on my part.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:43 pm

here's a track from sideontrackone.com

The Moths - Valentine

Or are you looking for stuff like the exploding hearts (60s sounding US garage)?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:50 pm

Has anybody here heard the Moonbabies?

If not you should immediately get The Orange Billboard.

It was one of my favorite records of 2004.

There are very few songs that can match the brilliance of Sun AM and Fieldtrip USA. I used to listen to orange billboard smoked out to all hell and just bask in pure pop-ness.

They have a new one out this year that's good but cant quite match the orange billboard imho.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby doglips on Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:05 pm

Brocktune wrote:ok, this isnt a recommendation, but rather, a request for one, or several.

now this one is probably going to be primarily for the uk'ers. and please forgive me if i am displaying some serious lameness here but....

any of you blokes got any recs for garage records? any artists or comps that stick out to anyone, or that are noteworthy? since 2000, ive decided i really like the sound, and want more. but as there is no scene over here, at least not one that i am involved with anyways. so to dl stuff, i would essentially be throwing a dart at the phone book as it were.

and also, wtf is the difference between garage and 2 step?

and? am i correct in assuming that garage is the more popular of the two.

like i said, if my knowledge of the underground uk dance scene is a bit dated, please forgive me. its been a while since i had the opportunity to buy records in england.

Garage is pretty much a catch all term over here now for 'urban music' the scene is so wide and convoluted that it's difficult to pin anything down unless you really know your shit - i.e. you are involved in an underground garage scene.

2-step has been bastardised into chart friendly garage by Craig David, Artful Dodger etc. Grime was born out of 2-step as the scene went back underground but now grime is being bastardised as it becomes more chart friendly - see Dizzee's latest album ( pretty good but an ocean away from Boy in da Corner )

I imagine you would like this which is dubstep - the most accessible ( in locating it, not content ) scene, receiving a lot of press over here at the moment.

I'm no expert on garage and it's 150 offshoots - VB always seemed to know his stuff, maybe he will chime in if you PM him this thread link........
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:12 pm

Brock, quick research shows that this compilation is getting some decent respect as a very good showcase of the real 2-step and dub-step scenes over here. Link is Amazon.com, so you can purchase it or 'find' it elsewhere.....

EDIT - Don't know why i didn't just say this in the first place, a PM to TITG will enlighten you no end, he really knows his stuff when it comes to this area of Uk dance ( I think )

Edit 2 - Burial is well regarded too. ( also on e-music if you use that..... )
Last edited by doglips on Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:20 pm

Brock, 2 Step is a subgenre of Garage and it's called 2 step because every 2nd and 4th kick from the regular "four to the floor" dance sound is removed. But there's micro breaks all over the place, moments when the beats seem as though they are holding in a breath. Some of it's got a skankin feel to it as well. Check out the producers/remixers Dem 2 and Some Street. This is all fairly old though now as Garage has really been subsumed by Grime but I don't really know much about that.

The there's a big thing going on now in places like Birmingham and Leicester called Niche but basically it's speed garage. I've got a bootleg of set some guy at work gave to me and he tells me that the producers called DND/Insiderz are what the "kids" are listening too.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:31 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Brock, 2 Step is a subgenre of Garage and it's called 2 step because every 2nd and 4th kick from the regular "four to the floor" dance sound is removed. But there's micro breaks all over the place, moments when the beats seem as though they are holding in a breath. Some of it's got a skankin feel to it as well. Check out the producers/remixers Dem 2 and Some Street. This is all fairly old though now as Garage has really been subsumed by Grime but I don't really know much about that.

Isnt Grime rap? Like Dizzee and his crew?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:33 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Brock, 2 Step is a subgenre of Garage and it's called 2 step because every 2nd and 4th kick from the regular "four to the floor" dance sound is removed. But there's micro breaks all over the place, moments when the beats seem as though they are holding in a breath. Some of it's got a skankin feel to it as well. Check out the producers/remixers Dem 2 and Some Street. This is all fairly old though now as Garage has really been subsumed by Grime but I don't really know much about that.

Grime a mixture of UK Hip-Hop, drum'n'bass, Garage, techno it's a huge melting pot of styles.
TonyWilson

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:39 pm

TonyWilson wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Grime a mixture of UK Hip-Hop, drum'n'bass, Garage, techno it's a huge melting pot of styles.

The only familiarity I have with the style is a comp Dizzee put out. Ill have to learn more.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Brocktune on Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:04 pm

and this is why i love teh zone.

you gentlemen are a wealth of knowledge, and i thank you.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:25 pm

allright, time to toss out a couple recs for you guys, because i know you just cant wait to hear what is hot on old brocktune's hit list right now.

i haven't updated my music journal in a while. i have been meaning to, but there are quite a few records that have been listened to by me since i last updated it. i don't want to miss any, so i am trying to compile a complete and accurate list before i update. but these two records are so good to me, that i just couldn't wait to tell someone about them.

first is the album "Me" by Yukari Fresh. I have been trying to track down some of this chicks records for quite some time now. it is a real pain in the ass tho, because most of them are out of print. i have several different tracks from her on a few various compilation discs, but have been in desperate need of a full album fix for the longest time. well, i finally managed to acquire this one record, and i absolutely fucking love it. apparently, it is some sort of remix record, as all of the tracks are listed as "vs." somebody. well, whatever. if this is a remix record, then it is one of the best i have heard. it's a little off the wall, but that is probably what i loved about it in the first place. its really difficult to describe. it certainly eludes any potential pigeonholing, or categorization. i really don't even know what to call it. i guess it's like a dance record, but more tripped out. i don't know. all i know is that i cant stop listening to it. and it has been that way for everything i have been able to acquire. heh, look out Takako Minekawa, you are about to be upstaged by Yukari Fresh.

thats funny, because all of this shit is like way old to everyone in its country of origin.

and number two would be the record "99 Cents" by Chicks On Speed. it seems as if i have some sort of soft spot for feminist, lesbian, do it yourself, art rock or electroclash. i think it may be because lesbian acts (and this is not a generalization, but merely an observation based solely on my experiences) seem to have a better sense of humor, a sharper wit, greater sarcasm, and unlike 99% of the female "artists" out there, can actually manage to come up with lyrics that are about something other than boys, and/or love. at first this record just sounded ok. then, i got to the third song "wordy rapping hood". unbelievably catchy! that shit got stuck in my head so bad, i had to hear it more. then, as is so often the case, the more i listened, the better it got. really, there is only like one skipper on this album. there are just some fantastic fucking songs on this album. "Universal Pussy", "Coventry", "99 Cents", this record is fucking tops. chicks on speed are not unlike Le Tigre, only much better. don't get me wrong, i love Le Tigre, but they are definitely more hit and miss than Chicks On Speed and if this one album by COS is in anyway representative of the rest of their catalog, then i definitely like them better than Le Tigre. these chicks fuckin rule.

I just don't even want to listen to anything else right now except fot these two records. they are really so good. I'm sure, if anyone actually gives these a listen, my enthusiasm probably won't be reciprocated in full, but thats ok, i just had to say something, you know?

Yukari Fresh - "Me"
Chicks On Speed - "99 Cents"

check em out one time, wont you?

oh yeah, and Doglips... I'm still a waitin' to hear what you thought of Les Breastfeeders.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Wolfpack on Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:36 pm

I've been listening to Thom Yorke's solo album, "The Eraser." Decent stuff.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby doglips on Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:57 pm

Brocktune wrote:oh yeah, and Doglips... I'm still a waitin' to hear what you thought of Les Breastfeeders.

I know, I'll get to it. I feel like I owe you a man sized review.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby MonkeyM666 on Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:59 pm

Hey Brock, I just want to thank you for you subliminal recommendation for April March... pretty sweet tunes. I'm really digging it.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Music