Shoegazer music anyone?

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Shoegazer music anyone?

Postby Neo Zeed on Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:16 pm

Great form of rock music known for cinematic soundscapes, fuzzy guitars, and dreamlike vocals...Examples include Slowdive, My Bloody Valentine, Ride, Curve, Lush and many more. Any fans?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoegazing
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby doglips on Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:20 pm

I worshipped all these bands during my teens.

I was listening to Ride the other day , 'Nowhere' still holds up pretty well.

Loveless is one of the best albums ever recorded.

Also seemed to attract lots of very fit female band members, Toni Halliday and Emma from Lush spring to mind.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Brocktune on Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:33 pm

lush was pretty cool. they were like the only main stage band on lollapalooza 92 that i actually really wanted to see. what a bummer that i didnt start attending those shows until 93.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Neo Zeed on Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:40 pm

Curve recently brokeup which is sad...I know some of their tracks were used in some movie trailers and I really enjoyed their last album Gift. It had some good tracks and my favorite was Perish. I still love and listen to their debut Doppelganger...Horror Head still rocks (in fact the whole thing rocks!)

Check out a vid..should bring back some good memories

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltW7AFghfdw&search=curve
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:07 am

you forgot Low, who upped the volume (production by Dave Friedman(?) tends to do that with bands) on their last album, "The Great Destroyer", which had one of my fave tracks from last year, "When I Go Deaf".

good genre, 'specially for stoners. Helps laggin' a couple of seconds behind the fuzz...

EDIT: Ah, and my fave "shoegazin'" act EVAR, the criminally underappreciated Slint (tho' some may not put 'em in this category, I do, and I MAKE THE RULES 'ROUND HERE!). You might've heard a track from them on the "Kids" soundtrack, but if "Spiderland" isn't in your collection...HA, SUCKA! Your missin' out...
Last edited by Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:17 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote: Helps laggin' a couple of seconds behind the fuzz...

Wow, you must truly be a ladies man kc.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:19 am

magicmonkey wrote:

you damn right!

wait, what?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:22 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:

you damn right!

wait, what?

Oh yes, I forget you are a non-fuzz kinda guy. Shaven havens and all.

End of threadjack. I was navel fuzz gazing...
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:47 am

Mmm, fuzz. I like fuzz, I even put it in my own stuff.

Fuzzzzz.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:51 am

Low had a track with tomandandy on the Mothman Prophecies soundtrack, which was pretty trippy in its own way with music by King Black Acid.

I've banged on about them enough, but The Open and Engineers are pretty damn good.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:17 am

My Bloody Valentine is the alpha and omega of shoegaze.
The rest of it all blurs into one indistinguishable mopey dirge.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby unikrunk on Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:26 am

Anyone remember Ride...I do, vaguely, and think it fits the genre criteria. Also, maybe some of Unrest's later stuff.

And MBV rules. Only band Tee I still own.

/old man
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Carolian on Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:26 am

I loooove My Bloody Valentine. A friend of mine's forced me to listen to Slint lately as well... goot, good shit. There are a few bands here I'm going to have to check out.
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Neo Zeed on Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:56 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:My Bloody Valentine is the alpha and omega of shoegaze.
The rest of it all blurs into one indistinguishable mopey dirge.

That ain't true...MBV certainly gets more press and is like the "Nirvana" of shoegaze with press....But albums like Ride's Nowhere (with tracks like Dreams Burn Down, Vapor Trail, Taste.. it's probably illegal to have 3 monster tracks like that on one album..awesome shit) and Slowdive's Souvlaki, and many others listed here are awesome bands/albums. Just because Rolling Stone only has room for one shoegazer album on their 100 best album list doesn't mean that we should write of the rest...

PS..Any Catherine Wheel fans?......Chrome was fantastic
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:39 pm

You might like the latest Boards of Canada. Loadsa fuzz on that. In fact, I prefer it to their old stuff by a ton.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:54 pm

I forgot to mention the heavier end of Shoegazing inhabited by Swervedriver.

Son of Mustang Ford and Rave Down were both great E.P.s and still sound pretty fresh today.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Seppuku on Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:12 pm

MBV's Loveless and Isn't Anything are brilliant albums, especially seeing as how you take something new from them every time you give them a whirl (a bit like Miles Davis in that way).

But I also really love The Cranes, who are the dark heart of the shoegazing "genre". Alison Shaw sings like some porcelin doll come to life, and the music behind her sounds as if it were created by an African tribe let loose on a drum kit and a bunch of guitars.

Newer contenders? My Vitriol's first album, Finelines, is still listenable. I think it was remixed (badly) for U.S. audiences, so avoid that version. Oh yeah and my transexual auncle starred in the video to Always Your Way (pre-op).
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby doglips on Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:23 pm

Another new contender ( recommended to me by TonyWilson ) are Autolux.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby tapehead on Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:25 pm

I bet billy corgan has wet dreams
where he is Kevin Shields, playing
sometimes. with my bloody valentine
in 1991
and then he wakes up
and has to cry himself to sleep
realising he doesn'tquite exist in that
world of lazy genius
listening to timeless right now
not gazing at my shoes
but staring at the stars
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:46 pm

MBV and Swervedriver are personal faves. Lush and Curve too. I've always associated the term "shoegazer" with British bands but American band Medicine kinda sonically fits the bill too and they got a lot of comparisons to MBV. I thought Brad Laner and co. came up with some fantastic stuff.

How is it that Sofia Coppola is the only person that can get Kevin Shields to come up with new music? Maybe we should get her to sit behind the console and slap his hands away every time he tries to erase an MBV session. I heard a rumor that Shields spent so much money on aborted sessions for a new album that the label was on the verge of bankruptcy and was saved only by Oasis becoming as successful as they were.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Neo Zeed on Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:36 am

5 Slowdive music videos!! Click on the blue "downloads" button on the left...

http://www.alexmusic.net/indie/index.htm

How is it that Sofia Coppola is the only person that can get Kevin Shields to come up with new music? Maybe we should get her to sit behind the console and slap his hands away every time he tries to erase an MBV session. I heard a rumor that Shields spent so much money on aborted sessions for a new album that the label was on the verge of bankruptcy and was saved only by Oasis becoming as successful as they were.

It's all true! Shields drove McGee batshit crazy....
http://arts.guardian.co.uk/fridayreview/story/0,12102,1167043,00.html

About Sofia? I dunno......Maybe it's because she's hawt?
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby tapehead on Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:50 am

The first time I saw 'Lost in Translations' and heard 'city girl' - man, that's when I fell in love with Scarlett johannson - the squarepusher tracks on the soundtrack are pretty good too
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:29 pm

Spacemen 3.

After hearing Spiritualized do a cover of "Anyway That You Want Me" in Me and You and Everyone We Know I went on a Spacemen 3 downloading spree (figured I had 'em on tape when I was younger so it was kosher)...good stuff. The drone goes on and on and on and it's 'prolly even fuzzier than most can bare, but sometimes, SOMETIMES, Pierce and Kember just flat out brought the moody atmoshpherics and repetiton that characterizes the best of shoegazin'. If anything THEY were/are the originators of the sound/movement, so take THAT all blind MBV lovers (tho' you can't argue MBV).
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:35 pm

Kevin Shields should lay off the dope, and lay on the
songwriting instead.

Still, theres something great about the fact that he made
one great album (loveless), and then one great song
over ten years later ("city girl")...

This way, they'll be immortal and immaculate rather
than becoming embarrasments.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby unikrunk on Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:33 pm

Neo Zeed wrote:5 Slowdive music videos!! Click on the blue "downloads" button on the left...

http://www.alexmusic.net/indie/index.htm

It's all true! Shields drove McGee batshit crazy....
http://arts.guardian.co.uk/fridayreview/story/0,12102,1167043,00.html

About Sofia? I dunno......Maybe it's because she's hawt?

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/fridayreview/story/0,12 102,1167043,00.html = excellence. A tip of the hat to you, Neo Zeed.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby JAGUART on Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:12 pm

Wow, a thread that is near and dear to my heart. I'm obsessed with this stuff.

Neo Zeed, please send me a PM with an email. I'll send you some treats.

Try Scarling and Kidneythieves and Echobelly on for size, three bands that are quite good that you might not have heard of...

http://www.scarling.com/

Of course, we've all heard of Garbage, so that's a given... I'm also in love with The Jesus and Mary Chain.

I'm also guessing you guys have The Dandy Warhols, Veruca Salt and Kill Hannah. They rock more than they gaze though.

Some other bands to check out... that dog, Throwing Muses, The Stone Roses, The Charlatans, Placebo,Portishead, Morcheeba, Republica, LUXT ,Enigma, Assemblage 23, Combustible Edison, Ladytron

Hey and let's not forget Love and Rockets.

You guys also might dig Lamb

When researching this stuff, I use a combination of allmusic.com, amazon.com and this site...

http://www.liveplasma.com/

This is just a taste of the stuff I have, many times having the entire discographies of the stuff up above. I like to specialize in chick bands myself :wink: So you'll see a somewhat "female -ized" bent to my selections. I like the sensuality that females bring to the genre.
JAGUART
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Neo Zeed on Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:01 am

JAGUART wrote:So you'll see a somewhat "female -ized" bent to my selections. I like the sensuality that females bring to the genre.

like thedoglippedone said!

Also seemed to attract lots of very fit female band members, Toni Halliday and Emma from Lush spring to mind.

Anyone see the movie Mysterious Skin? Had a cool ass score by Robin Guthrie. (Cocteau Twins, Lush producer, Violet Indiana) Had a Curve track, Sigur Ros, Ride (Drive Blind), if I can recall...

Gregg Araki directed and has good taste in music...even if I wasn't a fan of his previous movies. (I'm not sure how he could listen to that music and come up with Doom Generation?) I did like Mysterious Skin though and I hope he continues in that mode of filmaking for a while.

I'll admit that I prayed that the flick would at least get 2 and a half stars because the Guthrie score alone got me pumped to see it alone. Saw it in theatres too...

PS. If anyone knows..... Why wasn't the song in trailer in the movie (The tune in the middle- to-end of the trailer when gets all epic and montage-y?) And where if it's available anywhere?

Here the trailer link
http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/mysterious_skin.html
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:43 am

Am I the only one who thought Spiritualised's Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space, aside from the opener, was total dross?
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby JAGUART on Fri May 19, 2006 3:24 pm

Because of this thread and everyone's suggestions, I decided to check out My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless"

I am totally blown away, and in the last month I've probably listened to it forty times. I'm addicted to it.

Thanks all, great suggestions.
The last time that I trusted a dame was in Paris in 1940. She said she was going out to get a bottle of wine. Two hours later, the Germans marched into France.
JAGUART
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Brocktune on Fri May 19, 2006 3:37 pm

JAGUART wrote:Some other bands to check out... that dog, Throwing Muses, The Stone Roses, The Charlatans, Placebo,Portishead, Morcheeba, Republica, LUXT ,Enigma, Assemblage 23, Combustible Edison, Ladytron

i dont know that i would consider that dog, the stone roses, portishead, republica, and especially combustible edison as shoegazer.

those are great bands however. well, most of em. heh heh.

if you love yourself some three part harmonies, you cant get enough of that dog.

but seriously, ive said it before, combustible edison is THE SHIT!!!!! i am eternally bummed that they dont play anymore. absolutely fantastic records. fuck you for splitting up, CE.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby JAGUART on Fri May 19, 2006 3:43 pm

Brocktune wrote:

i dont know that i would consider that dog, the stone roses, portishead, republica, and especially combustible edison as shoegazer.

I agree sir, but I thought they'd be fun to listen to..

Check out this cool site

http://www.liveplasma.com/
JAGUART
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby RoatFale on Fri May 19, 2006 5:30 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Am I the only one who thought Spiritualised's Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space, aside from the opener, was total dross?

Sorry, I think its a great album, some real heavy feedback stuff further in but a class album nonetheless.

You cant top Loveless though, although Giant Steps by The Boo Radleys comes closest for me. Other great albums of the era worth looking at:

Bandwagonesque - Teenage Fanclub
Beaster - Sugar
Star - Belly
RoatFale
GLIB

Postby Seppuku on Fri May 19, 2006 6:11 pm

I just bought a whole bunch of Cocteau Twins albums and they're gorgeous. I didn't know music like that existed. Elizabeth Fraizer sings in about fifty languages while the music does that swirly thing in the background. I hear that they're thought of as the inventors of the genre.

Also, for a real 80s overload of insanity, listen to the Associate's masterpiece Sulk; it sounds like two men losing their minds. Also those are some of the best tunes I've ever heard, especially Country Club: "We're old and sickening at the Country Club/A drive from nowhere leaves you in the cold/Refrigeration keeps you young I'm told". I can't tell you how much I love this album (and all their others, but this is the closest they get to being shoegazing...whatever that is). This is like The Cure overdosing on mephamphetamines and jumping into bed with Giorgio Moroder. Give it a listen.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Brocktune on Fri May 19, 2006 6:38 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:I just bought a whole bunch of Cocteau Twins albums and they're gorgeous. I didn't know music like that existed. Elizabeth Fraizer sings in about fifty languages while the music does that swirly thing in the background. I hear that they're thought of as the inventors of the genre.

i used to have this good friend that i played in an old band with. im not kidding you, he was a fucking android. it was the weirdest thing. my other friend is psychic, and so is his whole family. anyway, the android friend used to drop little hints, and do little weird things, to let us know that he was an android. then my psychic friend (who didnt know him yet) threw a party, to which my android friend attended. after meeting him and talking to him, my psychic friend came up to me, and was like "dude, there is something weird about this guy" and i was like "yup, he says he is an android". and my psychic friend's face went blank, and he was like "whoa. he isnt lying. he totally is an android. thats what it is!". and once my psychic friend told me that it was true, i have never disbelieved it. i dont really talk to him anymore, but im sure he is still out there androiding it up hardcore on the drums.

anyway, the point is, that all he would listen to was death metal, and the Cocteau Twins. He had all kinds of death metal and black metal records from the most obscure labels, and from all over the globe. shit that to this day ive never even heard of again. really hardcore stuff. and then the cocteau twins. he fucking loved the cocteau twins. they were like his favorite. i just didnt get it. not the love for the cocteau twins, or death metal, but the weird love of both. i just didnt fucking get it.
huh. fuckin androids.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Fri May 19, 2006 6:54 pm

So tell me, are the rumours about Flumm's...how should I put it, 75 Ohms (Typ.) +/- 17V; 450mW; 0C; +70C High Performance Analog Multiplexer all they're cracked up to be? From what I hear it's so advanced he makes Data look like an Apple computer.

Brock have I told you how much I love it when you go off on those tangents, they're genius dude! You know, I wouldn't be surprised if Mizz Fraizer put a whole bunch of subliminal messages in there that only work when you're tweaked to the right frequency. I know I've had music-listening experiences like that before, I put on the album, feeling perfectly happy, and at the end of it I just feel completely fucked up for no reason at all.

And goddamn, next time I go Stateside you've GOT to tell me where you meet these kats. The most fucked up person I know reads auras (apparently mine's dark blue with a hint of yellow that shows a bit of sickness).
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Brocktune on Fri May 19, 2006 7:08 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:And goddamn, next time I go Stateside you've GOT to tell me where you meet these kats. The most fucked up person I know reads auras (apparently mine's dark blue with a hint of yellow that shows a bit of sickness).

sounds kind of like my psychic friends mom. her insanity used to be entertaining. now its just fucked up. she sleeps with a tinfoil helmet on, because she thinks my drummer is secretly trying out an experimental new microwave gun for the military on her.

i swear, i have to travel to switzerland, specifically for the purpose of getting her a fucking cuckoo clock. hopefully hearing that "cuckoo BOING cuckoo BOING cuckoo BOING" every night at bedtime will make her realize just how insane her sleeping in the gazebo with a tinfoil helmet is.

dont worry dude, the next time you are stateside, i take you to them myself!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:24 am

Kevin Shields is remastering Loveless and Isn't Anything for re-release in advance of My Bloody Valentine's Reuniting and touring this Northern Summer...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:28 am

tapehead wrote:Kevin Shields is remastering Loveless and Isn't Anything for re-release in advance of My Bloody Valentine's Reuniting and touring this Northern Summer...

I hope he doesnt ruin it. =[

Most remasterings fail to keep the subtlety of small dynamic shifts.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:40 am

I hope he 'bankrupts the label' again (which, considering it's Sony BMG now, might be a tall order), but considering they were his babies to begin with, I'd rather see him oversee the process than anyone else.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:44 am

tapehead wrote:I hope he 'bankrupts the label' again (which, considering it's Sony BMG now, might be a tall order), but considering they were his babies to begin with, I'd rather see him oversee the process than anyone else.

Ohh absolutely! If theres anyone I trust it's him.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:58 pm

I forgot about this thread. I guess this is where I should have said this:

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:02 pm

Remastering LOVELESS? Fuck no. What's to remaster? It's all one big jumble of noise.

That's not an insult, I love LOVELESS. I still hold that it's one of the most influential 90s albums.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:19 pm

Nordling wrote:Remastering LOVELESS? Fuck no. What's to remaster? It's all one big jumble of noise.

That's not an insult, I love LOVELESS. I still hold that it's one of the most influential 90s albums.

I agree, most recently it's occured to me what a hard-on for Kevin Shields guitar sound the likes of Shocking Pinks have on their first album. While it's tempting to say 'why mess with perfection?' I have to admit I'm kind of curious about how the album's palette might expand given a mix for digital multi-channel set ups, as the expected multiple release formats will no doubt provide. My cd of the album is great, but I've heard it on vinyl on a great stereo too, and there's whole new layers of sound and frequencies revealed. It also seems kind of worthy of being made relevant again for a new generation of listeners. I suppose we'll always still have the original mixes, but if this new version gives any kind of insight to Shields' unique sound alchemy with guitars, I'm there.

Fuck I'd love to see them play live once in my life too - the sheer volume of their perfomances are legendary...

I've also just been lucky enough to pick up copies of several MBV eps -
'This Is Your Bloody Valentine', 'Glider', 'Feed Me With Your Kiss' (seriously heavy, distorted basslines) and 'Tremolo'(just beautiful) - I'm not aware if there's any cd release which compiles or these tracks, but there really should be.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:58 am

tapehead wrote:I have to admit I'm kind of curious about how the album's palette might expand given a mix for digital multi-channel set ups...

I won't be surprised if Sony releases multi-channel Blu-ray versions of the records.

tapehead wrote:Fuck I'd love to see them play live once in my life too - the sheer volume of their perfomances are legendary...

Yeah, I'm thinking hell or high water I'm going to be in Chicago on September 27.

tapehead wrote:I've also just been lucky enough to pick up copies of several MBV eps -
'This Is Your Bloody Valentine', 'Glider', 'Feed Me With Your Kiss' (seriously heavy, distorted basslines) and 'Tremolo'(just beautiful) - I'm not aware if there's any cd release which compiles or these tracks, but there really should be.

A few years ago I picked up Tremolo used for like three bucks. I was so happy. I think I downloaded the others. If not, definitely something for me to seek out.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re:

Postby Seppuku on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:29 am

tapehead wrote:I've also just been lucky enough to pick up copies of several MBV eps -

I recently borrowed about 6 or 7 MBV vinyls off a neighbour of mine who's one of those sociopathic music collectors who seems to have every album, single and ep ever released. A couple of them (Glider) played like typical single/ep material- album cut, instrumental and two or three nice b-sides- however, the quality of some of those b-sides is tremendous. Swallow from Tremelo would have augmented Loveless excellently with its wasted celticy feel; and a couple of songs on Feed Me With Your Kiss actually beat the songs that made it onto Isn't Anything. I especially love I Believe, which must have been a massive influence on Bobby Gilespie when Primal Scream released Screamadelica.

Even better than those, however, is You Made Me Realise- which, though it probably utilized a fifth of the tracks as most of the songs on Loveless, proves that underneath all that streaming, screaming noise, My Bloody Valentine were brilliant popsmiths. I also really dug the pre-Isn't Anything single, Strawberry Wine...it kind of reminded me of a less harsh sounding Jesus & Mary Chain.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Re: Shoegazer music anyone?

Postby tapehead on Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:31 pm

Pitchfork review of new My Bloody Valentine performance Live in London

I've been thinking lately it would be interesting to plot a musical narrative from drone-rock bands like Spacemen3 (like KC does above) to the UK Shoegazer bands, on into post rock groups like Moguai, M83 and the like...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:13 pm

Fuck. The Chicago show is sold out.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:37 pm

Perusing through the various James Bond themes I came across this on youtube; MBV's cover of 'We have all the time in the World' - this could just as easily go in that 'I gotta you covered' thread, as it's a great rendition of the old Louis Armstrong classic.

I've been meaning to post a few albums from this year which kinda fit into the 'shoegaze' genre, like Asobi Seksu's Citrus and Vivian Girl's debut album, but then again, the music forum ain't what it used to be - both good albums if you like the sound of bands like MBV and The Jesus and Mary Chain respectively.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Return to Music