The Radiohead Thread.

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

What's the new Radiohead album going to sound like?

All new experimental phase a'la KID A?
12%
A hark back to more melodic sounds a'la OK Computer?
28%
Something so new and amazing, we cannot yet concieve it in our minds?
36%
A controversial 3 hour recording of Kong's footsteps?
24%

Total votes : 25

The Radiohead Thread.

Postby doglips on Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:37 am

O.K. people it's time to get wanky over Radiohead.......

All this from Pitchfork.....

Verifying a rumor that has been floating around the interweb for months, Entertainment Weekly revealed last week that Radiohead will contribute music to Before Sunrise / School of Rock director Richard Linklater's adaptation of Philip K. Dick's cult science fiction book A Scanner Darkly. The film, which stars Keanu Reeves, is due in theaters July 7.

Although the band won't be responsible for the flick's entire score, Warner Independent Pictures told EW that A Scanner Darkly will "feature music by Radiohead, including a brand-new track from lead singer Thom Yorke's upcoming solo release."

Of course, Radiohead keeps its official news guarded like the Pentagon, so we'll have to wait until some huge corporate magazine finds out what's going on before we can give you more information on Thom's solo jawn.

As for the new Radiohead album, we can only assume that's what Yorke was referring to last week when he posted on Radiohead's blog a week ago about "furiously writing, working out parts. cracking up. not much time left. unshure about everything."

So we knew about the Scanner darkly soundtrack, but it's good to have official conformation.

A Thom Yorke solo album??? WTF! Anyone else know about this? I have not been keeping up to date with what Radiohead are up to, so this was a big surprise. I hope he asks Polly Jean to return the favours he did her on 'Stories From The City' - those tracks he guested on were fantastic.......

What do we think the new Radiohead is album is going to sound like? A step back to OK Computer?, a more melody/guitar based album? or a mash up of all the styles and genres they have crossed over the years?

I figure they will cut back on the experimentalism, giving a more melodically accessible set of songs than the past three albums have presented.

Thoughts??
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby wonkabar on Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:45 am

Dude, they NEED to hark-back IMO.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Proinsias on Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:59 am

Judging by the little tidbits that have flittered out before the release of radiohead albums over the years, it's hard to tell, you always hear about songs and song titles which sound great and which never show up except on the odd live bootleg. But, if i have to choose one option, i would say it is a mix, they may have tuned their melodics and abstracts into something very special. I'll always get new radiohead albums though, everyone has a few albums engrained in their minds from adolescence. The Bends and OK Computer are in there.

As for Thoms solo album - no friggin idea.

Jonnys Bodysong soundtrack was excellent, anyone else like it?
Proinsias
REAL DRAGON

Postby doglips on Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:11 am

I'd be very happy with another 'Hail to the Thief' which I love, but I yearn for some tracks that emote like 'Black Star' or 'Lucky'.

Have you heard ' I Want None Of This' which they gave to the new Warchild album? - Very good piano based tune, like 'Pyramid Song' but not as abstract. If they are going in this direction we are in for a treat.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:19 am

I'm in the experimental camp.

KID A and INSOMNIAC were two of the best albums
of the past 10 years. I've since grown weary of them,
but for awhile there it was all I would listen to; way out
in some eternal outside; a pleasent, comtemplative,
post-human melancholic on the redemption tip (with beauty)...

Their more conventional stuff is okay, but these two
albums were revelations; transcendent gems in an otherwise
bland landscape...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby wonkabar on Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:29 am

I frankly like "The Bends" the best myself
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Proinsias on Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:33 am

thedoglippedone wrote:I'd be very happy with another 'Hail to the Thief' which I love, but I yearn for some tracks that emote like 'Black Star' or 'Lucky'.

Have you heard ' I Want None Of This' which they gave to the new Warchild album? - Very good piano based tune, like 'Pyramid Song' but not as abstract. If they are going in this direction we are in for a treat.

Hadn't, but just did...hmmm..heavenly multiple thom harmonies. Thanks, i'd forgotten about that. I expect his solo stuff to be in this vien, all low key acoustics..haunting. If it is, it'll be a soulful injection into Scanner..
Proinsias
REAL DRAGON

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:43 am

I'm banking on the new and amazing. After three albums trying to find a style, I want them to go all heavy on Radioheads fans asses. Blow them away with their angriest recordings to date, then go all schizo for the final hidden track which will be pure beach boy harmonic pop.

Thom's solo album will be lo-fi, mainly percussion instrument based consisting of him gently tapping bin lids and blowing on bottles.

Heh, maybe, just maybe.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:52 pm

I'd be quite content with a return to a mix of option 1 & 2, but I reckon it'll be something else new and unlistenable.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:03 pm

I'm expecting a jazz-dub odyssey. every bit as fantastic and apprently unlistenable as the newer stuff.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby tapehead on Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:12 pm

I want to hear Johnny Greenwood play the kind of guitar he did on OK Computer again - I love the more elctronic stuff, but it's time for them to rock it -of course the two are not mutually exclusive, as a couple of tracks on 'thief' demonstrate

I honestly expect Thom's album to sound like him singing through a quadbox and a megaphone with Squarepusher providing the music, along with some beautiful fragile acoustic in the vein of the solo live shows he has played
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:19 pm

I like the fact they experiment.

But something that doesn't give me a migraine will be nice to hear.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:21 pm

tapehead wrote:I honestly expect Thom's album to sound like him singing through a quadbox and a megaphone with Squarepusher providing the music, along with some beautiful fragile acoustic in the vein of the solo live shows he has played

I'll buy it if Autechre provide the music instead and the fragile acoustic is mixed over the top........
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby tapehead on Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:25 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:
tapehead wrote:I honestly expect Thom's album to sound like him singing through a quadbox and a megaphone with Squarepusher providing the music, along with some beautiful fragile acoustic in the vein of the solo live shows he has played

I'll buy it if Autechre provide the music instead and the fragile acoustic is mixed over the top........

I want it to be BIG, like Sigur Ros, but with Pixies style lead guitar. Haven't been reading any Radiohead sites - is Nigel Godrich producing again?
Last edited by tapehead on Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby wonkabar on Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:25 pm

magicmonkey wrote: After three albums trying to find a style...

They HAD a style.

Fried Gold wrote:but I reckon it'll be something else new and unlistenable.

I reckon you're right
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:33 pm

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it will sound like a Radiohead album. Heh, that said, I will definitely be picking it up on release day. Another album I anxiously await this year. I'm not positive but I think they are producing this one on their own.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:43 pm

That's cool - Godrich helmed some of the best albums of the 90's and 00's with Radiohead, beck and others, but I feel like I can hear 'his' sound on tracks now - it would be cool to hear them do stuff with other producers or on their own

edit: Godrich, not goodrich
Last edited by tapehead on Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:44 pm

i like radiohead, i have all of their albums. and i like them all, but i sure would like to hear another "bends." i just don't think it will happen. if they do produce anything again that's as brilliant as that album, it will sound totally different from it.

to me, the bends is one of those perfect albums where every song is great from beginning to end. i don't think radiohead will make another album that perfect again, simply because they're experimental streak will always get the better of them and some experiments are bound to fail.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:25 am

I *know* it's gonna be a more rocky album, at least in part - well, I guess it's mainly because there's this song called "Up On the Ladder" which they've played live and is supposedly going to be on the album, which is kinda reminiscent of Electioneering. "Reckoner" is another song like that too... so yah. Can't fucking wait, and if they do some experimentation that's fine with me, because Kid A and Amnesiac were class albums.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Proinsias on Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:47 am

UK ZONERS - For anyone who deosent know-Tickets for two shows at Hammersmith Apollo in May go on sale tommorrow (sat) at 9am on the website.
Proinsias
REAL DRAGON

Postby wonkabar on Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:56 am

TheBaxter wrote:i like radiohead, i have all of their albums. and i like them all, but i sure would like to hear another "bends." i just don't think it will happen. if they do produce anything again that's as brilliant as that album, it will sound totally different from it.

to me, the bends is one of those perfect albums where every song is great from beginning to end. i don't think radiohead will make another album that perfect again, simply because they're experimental streak will always get the better of them and some experiments are bound to fail.

True.
It's like U2...they kinda peaked with The Joshua-Tree. I still like all their later shit, but I feel they will never quite hit that same level of perfection again. At least they hit it though. The Beatles never quite hit it with a single album...it's more like it was spread out over their entire career.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:31 am

magicmonkey wrote:Thom's solo album will be lo-fi, mainly percussion instrument based consisting of him gently tapping bin lids and blowing on bottles.

IPAMPILASH!!!

Shame on the rest of youse! No one gives credit, where credit is due anymore? That's a the comedy a the GOLD, no? A THE GOLD!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:14 am

Pacino86845 wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:Thom's solo album will be lo-fi, mainly percussion instrument based consisting of him gently tapping bin lids and blowing on bottles.

IPAMPILASH!!!

Shame on the rest of youse! No one gives credit, where credit is due anymore? That's a the comedy a the GOLD, no? A THE GOLD!

I know! 'Tis a crying shame. In fact, I'm off to record me a quiet introspective album about this very subject.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Proinsias on Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:14 am

http://media2.7digital.com/motion/Mark_Ronson_Just_High.mov
Nice little live action/animation vid with a funky little version of Just.
Proinsias
REAL DRAGON

Postby magicmonkey on Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:39 am

Wow, that was a nice video. I presume they used something like Monet for the effects.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Proinsias on Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:55 am

Don't know that one. Boujou 2d3 is good for tracking anime onto stuff, especially hand-held. Cute animations though...
Proinsias
REAL DRAGON

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:10 pm

Spare us Thom (plain old Tom to you and I) Yorke and his psuedo-angst ridden 'suffering as an artist' act. Radiohead are and will always be the most laughably overrated group of the past 15 years - bar Oasis.
I gather 'Thom' has been whingeing on the Radiohead website about how difficult and painful it's been for the band as they make their most recent MOR experimental offering.
Yawn.
They should count themselves lucky, very lucky, to enjoy the reputation they've got because beneath the angst-infested mutterings of this 'tortured' singer (or should that 'artist' or even 'artiste') there lies nothing more than a rather self-obsessed bore and a group that wants to be this generation's Joy Division only to end up sounding like a third-rate PIL or Can.
'Paranoid Android' indeed.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:36 pm

^ Oh, come on. I can understand if the emo-ness gets
on yer nerves, but KID A and INSOMNIAC were excellent
albums. They at least deserve props for the effort, I reckon.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby unikrunk on Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:43 pm

OK Computer has some of the best written ‘rock’ ever, IMHO.

Sweet jeebus, Paranoid Android is a masterpiece.

/still, I am more of a Sabbath man myself…
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:45 pm

HollywoodBabylon wrote:Spare us Thom (plain old Tom to you and I) Yorke and his psuedo-angst ridden 'suffering as an artist' act. Radiohead are and will always be the most laughably overrated group of the past 15 years - bar Oasis.
I gather 'Thom' has been whingeing on the Radiohead website about how difficult and painful it's been for the band as they make their most recent MOR experimental offering.
Yawn.
They should count themselves lucky, very lucky, to enjoy the reputation they've got because beneath the angst-infested mutterings of this 'tortured' singer (or should that 'artist' or even 'artiste') there lies nothing more than a rather self-obsessed bore and a group that wants to be this generation's Joy Division only to end up sounding like a third-rate PIL or Can.

didums, having a bad sunday come down? you troll-artist (or should that be artiste?)
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby sleepflower on Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:46 pm

I missed the damn chance to get tickets to the london gig. Hopefully manage to get to see em at V. Ebay detention for me :(

Anyone with spare tickets/ticket is all good?
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:32 am

tapehead wrote:
HollywoodBabylon wrote:Sp are us Thom (plain old Tom to you and I) Yorke and his psuedo-angst ridden 'suffering as an artist' act. Radiohead are and will always be the most laughably overrated group of the past 15 years - bar Oasis.
Yawn.

didums, having a bad sunday come down? you troll-artist (or should that be artiste?)

lol. Had a great Sunday infact.
Thanks for asking.
My, my, how touchy some of you Radiohead fans are.
Don't take things to heart so much.

You end up like Tom, you know (sorry 'Thom'). :wink:
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:41 am

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:^ Oh, come on. I can understand if the emo-ness gets
on yer nerves, but KID A and INSOMNIAC were excellent
albums. They at least deserve props for the effort, I reckon.

Those would be an excellent album if half the dross was skimmed and the two combined. To be utterly frank, in the eyes of the world Radiohead lost "it" a long time ago... which is why The Bends and OK Computer are still looked on by the quote/unquote "non-fans" as their finest moments.

I'm being honest here. I liked Kid A on release, couldn't understand why people didn't. I relistened to it years later and just thought "oh, it's David Bowie's Low only... no way near as good and over 20 years too late". Even Low was derivative of Can. I'd say Radioheads earlier two efforts into art-rock-pop were actually more experimental, yet listenable, because I'd not heard much like either to compare them to and haven't since.

In fact, Peter Gabriel's Up! was more experimental and far more enjoyable than either. I'd rather Radiohead stopped making like Brian Eno and played to their strengths instead...

It's your opinion though, but that's mine. ;)
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:36 am

tapehead wrote:
HollywoodBabylon wrote:Sp are us Thom (plain old Tom to you and I) Yorke and his psuedo-angst ridden 'suffering as an artist' act. Radiohead are and will always be the most laughably overrated group of the past 15 years - barring Oasis.
Yawn.
They should count themselves lucky, very lucky, to enjoy the reputation they've got because beneath the angst-infested mutterings of this 'tortured' singer (or should that be 'artist' or even 'artiste') there lies nothing more than a rather self-obsessed bore and a group that wants to be this generation's Joy Division only to end up sounding like a third-rate PIL or Can.
'Paranoid Android' indeed. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

you troll-artist (or should that be artiste?)

In the words of Rorshach, "hurm."

This is not a flag I plan on picking up again anytime soon, but other people's favorite music can be 'dissed' mercilessly about a dozen times over and with about the same depth of critical insight, and nobody bats an eyelash. Somebody hates Radiohead and all of a sudden they're automatically a troll (regardless of whether or not they already have hundreds of posts as well, apparently)? Seems rather curious to me.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Walrus on Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:47 am

I did a mix of the most accessible songs from Kid A and Amnesiac and guess what? It sounded just like a Radiohead album. Those that didn't like Hail To The Thief were probably still tasting bitterness from the stranger moments of the previous two albums, because, to me at least, Hail is a direct line descendent of Bends and OK Computer. Punchup at a Wedding, Backdrifts, There There and Wolf At The Door are among the best Radiohead songs ever produced. Of course in along with the brilliance was more of that slow mopey directionless piano stuff that never quite reaches the heights Thom Yorke thinks it does. However I'm all for experimentation without regard for commercial success, so I hope the new one is almost completely inaccessible.

And please, "the Beatles never hit it?" A Hard Day's Night is the apex of early pop/rock. Revolver is the finest pure rock record of the late 60's, and Abbey Road is a masterpiece. No debate. It just seems like there's no difinitive representation of their music because in six years they changed their sound completely and grew by leaps and bounds with each successive record. Comparitively, Radiohead still sound basically the same as they did on Pablo Honey, just with more clicks and hums.
Walrus
GLIB

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:50 am

Ribbons, no-one else comes into a thread specifically about 1 particular band just to bitch about them. People who go into BSG threads JUST to dump on the show are trolls right? People who go into specific band threads just to dump on the specific and are also trolls.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby Ribbons on Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:53 am

Man, I don't get why people don't like Hail to the Thief. I listened to that and thought it was pretty decent. I guess it probably depends on when you started listening to Radiohead.

I enjoy listening to Kid A a lot, but the only song off Amnesiac I've heard is "Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box," so I don't know how the rest of that one is.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:54 am

TonyWilson wrote:Ribbons, no-one else comes into a thread specifically about 1 particular band just to bitch about them.

Not true, mein freund, not true.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Walrus on Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:34 am

Ribbons, other good songs from Amnesiac include You and Whose Army, I Might Be Wrong and Dollars And Cents. The problem with the album is that it's a little disjointed, and seems too obviously to be made of castoffs from Kid A, or at least songs that weren't properly finished when Kid A was released, and were sort of pieced together as an afterthought. They don't hold together as a whole. When integrated with the best of the Kid A songs, they seem more cohesive.

For the record, here's my "Memory Burns" mix list:

1. Everything In It's Right Place
2. I Might Be Wrong
3. Pyramid Song
4. The National Anthem
5. Knives Out
6. You And Whose Army?
7. Optimistic
8. In Limbo
9. Dollars And Cents
10. How To Disappear Completely
11. Idioteque
12. Life in a Glass House
Walrus
GLIB

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:49 am

I seem to remember that Radiohead wrote tons of songs post-Ok Computer that in turn ended up in both Kid A and Amnesiac and maybe... maybe carried on until Hail. I've not heard much of Hail though, but what I have recalls the previous two.

I'm still holding out hope that they'll find some magic. What happened with Radiohead I also thought was echoed in Blur... although I welcomed Blurs change in direction, the albums they put out were never as strong or as cohesive as the singles... so I lost interest.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:57 am

Ribbons wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Ribbons, no-one else comes into a thread specifically about 1 particular band just to bitch about them.

Not true, mein freund, not true.

ok cool, people do do that. I haven't seen it but fair enough. Those people are trolling as well.
TonyWilson

Postby vicious_bastard on Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:41 pm

http://www.ateaseweb.com/news/archive/2006/03/radiodread_near.php

Radiodread. So many cover versions around at the moment. Horace Andy and Toots Hibbert are involved so it might be OK.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:47 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Ribbons, no-one else comes into a thread specifically about 1 particular band just to bitch about them. People who go into BSG threads JUST to dump on the show are trolls right? People who go into specific band threads just to dump on the specific and are also trolls.

Wrong, Tony.
In my view, anyway.
The idea of any (decent) new post is to respond to the subject of that post expressing whatever opinion you have, either good or bad. The majority of posts on this website, for instance, contain threads and replies that vary tremendously. ie. some make like certain films, books, music, games etc whilst others will criticize them as they see fit.
It's called having a different opinion.
This Radiohead thread is no different. It's not sacrosanct from any form of criticism, why should it be?
You call it 'bitching'. Fair enough.
I'd call it just having a different view. I don't like Radiohead, others worship at their altar. Well, ok, that's our choice. To me, no big deal whatsover.

As for the trolling remark, well I grew out of short trousers a long time ago.

But, hey, that's just my opinion. :wink:
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:50 pm

Ribbons wrote:
tapehead wrote:
Ho llywoodBabylon wrote:Sp are us Thom (plain old Tom to you and I) Yorke and his psuedo-angst ridden 'suffering as an artist' act. Radiohead are and will always be the most laughably overrated group of the past 15 years - barring Oasis.
Yawn.
They should count themselves lucky, very lucky, to enjoy the reputation they've got because beneath the angst-infested mutterings of this 'tortured' singer (or should that be 'artist' or even 'artiste') there lies nothing more than a rather self-obsessed bore and a group that wants to be this generation's Joy Division only to end up sounding like a third-rate PIL or Can.

This is not a flag I plan on picking up again anytime soon, but other people's favorite music can be 'dissed' mercilessly about a dozen times over and with about the same depth of critical insight, and nobody bats an eyelash. Somebody hates Radiohead and all of a sudden they're automatically a troll (regardless of whether or not they already have hundreds of posts as well, apparently)? Seems rather curious to me.

Exactly Ribbons. SPOT ON.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:11 pm

HollywoodBabylon wrote:
Ribbons wrote:[qu ote="tapehead"]
Ho llywoodBabylon wrote:Sp are us Thom (plain old Tom to you and I) Yorke and his psuedo-angst ridden 'suffering as an artist' act. Radiohead are and will always be the most laughably overrated group of the past 15 years - barring Oasis.
Yawn.

Exactly Ribbons. SPOT ON.[/quote]

yep sure - maybe 'troll' was a little hard - as long as we all keep our sense of humour, we'll all be fine - a bit of dissent and debate is a good thing. If someone comes to a thread to voice their opinion, however positive or negative, they should alow that people might respond to it however they like, right? I only used the term 'troll' as the original post seemd to be a bit of trash talk in the hopes of some 'spirited debate' or even argument. It is a b it of a loaded term.

Still, don't really see the 'Can' connection, but: 'no fault, no foul'

johnny Greenwood is one of the foremost innovative guitarists in the last 20 years of popular music - no-one would disagree with that, right?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:21 pm

Pfft! As long as it's OT who cares?

Anyone wanna talk about Radiohead now? :P
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:23 pm

Yeah, although I mean... I do sort of agree with Tony that people would probably be better served staying out of threads that they have a dubious amount of interest in. Dissent is good and necessary, but a continued agenda against a certain band or TV show or what have you is bound to engender a little hostility amongst its fans here in the Zone. Then again sometimes it's not what you say, it's how you say it. I'm not sure I'm saying what I want to say with this post, I don't know.
Last edited by Ribbons on Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:25 pm

HollywoodBabylon wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Ribbons, no-one else comes into a thread specifically about 1 particular band just to bitch about them. People who go into BSG threads JUST to dump on the show are trolls right? People who go into specific band threads just to dump on the specific and are also trolls.

Wrong, Tony.
In my view, anyway.
The idea of any (decent) new post is to respond to the subject of that post expressing whatever opinion you have, either good or bad. The majority of posts on this website, for instance, contain threads and replies that vary tremendously. ie. some make like certain films, books, music, games etc whilst others will criticize them as they see fit.
This Radiohead thread is no different. It's not sacrosanct from any form of criticism, why should it be?
I'd call it just having a different view. I don't like Radiohead, others worship at their altar. Well, ok, that's our choice. To me, no big deal whatsover.

Actually HB, I agree with you upto a point. However, lets take Wonderwoman as an example, I don't like the character or the comics and I'm not bothered by the film being made. Seeing as it's something that I have no interest in I don't go in the threads
only about Wonderwoman and bitch/troll that it's a overrated comic about a silly amazonian with an invisible plane.
If it's a thread about what you like or dislike, or whats overrated or underrated than there really isn't a problem with people ripping on Radiohead, however you purposefully posted a message that's ONLY full of unconstructive criticism and dislike for the band (and a personal shot too) in a place where you know there will be lots of Radiohead fans.
Posting a message full of "hate" in a thread full of people who obviously think Radiohead are pretty cool is trolling.
You may have grown out of short trousers, but the rest of you doesn't seem to have caught up.
TonyWilson

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:26 pm

The Radiohead
Thread
Ain't Dead
He Said
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:09 pm

TonyWilson wrote:
HollywoodBabylon wrote:

Wrong, Tony.
In my view, anyway.

Actually HB, I agree with you upto a point. However, lets take Wonderwoman as an example, I don't like the character or the comics and I'm not bothered by the film being made. Seeing as it's something that I have no interest in I don't go in the threads
only about Wonderwoman and bitch/troll that it's a overrated comic about a silly amazonian with an invisible plane.
If it's a thread about what you like or dislike, or whats overrated or underrated than there really isn't a problem with people ripping on Radiohead, however you purposefully posted a message that's ONLY full of unconstructive criticism and dislike for the band (and a personal shot too) in a place where you know there will be lots of Radiohead fans.
Posting a message full of "hate" in a thread full of people who obviously think Radiohead are pretty cool is trolling.
You may have grown out of short trousers, but the rest of you doesn't seem to have caught up.

I wouldn't regard my original post as "full of hate," Tony - I think that's rather a strong reaction to what essentially was a slightly tongue-in-cheek post in the first place. Perhaps some Radiohead fans need to be a little less sensitive, no? :wink:
"Unconstructive criticism"? Well, again, that's a matter of opinion. If you think that, that's OK. Perhaps I should have said that Radiohead are an extremely calculating, cold pretentious type of band whose much lauded experimentation is overrated in the extreme. They try just a little TOO hard, methinks. There is no true heart in their music. No soul. Just an continous exercise in musical pretention and intellectualism.
Again, just my thoughts.
As for Thom Yorke - sorry, but I stand by every comment. The man is pretentious incaranate -
forever going on about how difficult , how hard, how gut-wrenching it is every time Radiohead seem to make an album. Please, get real. This is self-indulgence to the point of absurdity, in my eyes. If he feels that way, easy option. Quit the band and stop whingeing.

I know I'm in the minority as regards Radiohead. Many of my friends are huge fans and get overly protective of them when they're criticised. Believe me, I've had many a heated discussion when I've stated my opinion on them (I know what that's like; being a huge Massive Attack fan I'd fight my corner too - and have done!). So, if any Radiohead fans here were geniunely offended or put out by my views, well I regret that. My opinions were certainly not posted just to deliberately 'provoke' or 'antagonize' fans. Rather, just to give a counter view on a subject that was on here in the first place. Nothing more, nothing less. If some think that's 'trolling' well so be it. They're entitled to that view, of course. No matter how wrong I think they are and how meaningless I think the term is anyhow.

Shall we agree to disagree and agree only on the fact that Massive Attack are much superior? :wink:
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Next

Return to Music