LIARS

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

LIARS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:57 pm

Drum's Not Dead is the greatest album of 2006.

Buy it, Own it, Love it, MAKE Love to it.

If you were a big fan of We Were Wrong So We Drowned,
Drum's Not Dead continues in this tradition, but from a more
focused approach. Still wildly experimental and challenging, but
more coherent. Sort of a mix of Neu!, Silver Apples, Einsturzende
Neubauten, early PiL, but mostly a creature all its own.

Essential listening for those who prefer outre', challenging music
which isn't afraid to soothe the mindhole when it needs to.

It also comes with a neato DVD chockfull of animations and such.

Beautiful, scary, perfect.

If you are a fan of the LIARS, share your thoughts here...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Flumm on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:02 pm

Mmm, I remember reading some strong reviews of this a little while ago, but with so much out there, it honestly it can be difficult for artists to stand out among the crowd without hearing them.

It's really that good, eh Zombie? Best record of 06 so far is strong praise indeed. I just may well have to listen me some Liars before the week is through!

:o
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:06 pm

Flumm wrote:Mmm, I remember reading some strong reviews of this a little while ago, but with so much out there, it honestly it can be difficult for artists to stand out among the crowd without hearing them.

It's really that good, eh Zombie? Best record of 06 so far is strong praise indeed. I just may well have to listen me some Liars before the week is through!

:o

YES! You must listen! It may not be your cup o' tea, but at least give
it a try and see...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Flumm on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:20 pm

Mmm, well you realise if I don't love the record completely and utterly, that I will infact have divine right to eat your brains, Zombie?

... I mean, not that I would or anything, I would probably donate them to medical science, and claim my 50 dollar cash prize, or coupons or whatever it is they give for handing in a fully fledged zombie mindhole in it's prime, but you know, I'm just saying...

Hey I wonder if I would be the first person to donate someone else's brain to medical science? Can you even do that? Would they even ask questions? Are they just hungry for human flesh, like Zombies? Where infact IS medical science to be located? Do they have a HQ? Are they in the book? If I have something to donate, do they just know, through some advanced piece of scientific gadgetry that someone has donated to them? Mmm, so many questions...

Oh and to steer this post on topic, this is pretty encouraging...

Pitchfork.com wrote:Of course, the music remains the greatest draw. Those who previously yearned for a career trajectory the band wisely ditched ought to listen to Drum and keep track of the epiphanies. In the coming weeks, its strengths will win converts, even among those who'd previously jumped ship. But my favorite detail of this feel-good story-- popular Brooklyn post-punk band falls out of favor by changing directions and ultimately produces an album that eclipses its debut-- is that Liars are still waltzing along on their own terms. This, their third LP, shows zero concessions to the criticisms they received from publications like Spin and Rolling Stone, who awarded They Were Wrong their lowest possible marks. Succeeding rather than regressing or retreating, Liars have had the last laugh: Drum's Not Dead is a majestic victory lap, and on all levels, a total fucking triumph.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:34 pm

Flumm wrote:Mmm, well you realise if I don't love the record completely and utterly, that I will infact have divine right to eat your brains, Zombie?

... I mean, not that I would or anything, I would probably donate them to medical science, and claim my 50 dollar cash prize, or coupons or whatever it is they give for handing in a fully fledged zombie mindhole in it's prime, but you know, I'm just saying...

Hey I wonder if I would be the first person to donate someone else's brain to medical science? Can you even do that? Would they even ask questions? Are they just hungry for human flesh, like Zombies? Where infact IS medical science to be located? Do they have a HQ? Are they in the book? If I have something to donate, do they just know, through some advanced piece of scientific gadgetry that someone has donated to them? Mmm, so many questions...

:lol: Flumm, you rule...

But don't donate my mindhole yet, I still need it...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:37 am

and this whole time, I've been listening to Drum's Not Dead.

good stuff so far, I miss the dance-punk groove of yore, but they bring some great noise on this, another "different" sounding album.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: LIARS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:12 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:Sort of a mix of Neu!, Silver Apples, Einsturzende

one band you didn't mention was This Heat.

Admittedly, I only heard of them when Murphy gave them the first shout out at the end of "Losing My Edge", but with my recent find of the joys of emusic, I was finally able to listen to their self titled debut yesterday...motherofyourGod, WOW!

Zombie, if you haven't heard of them before (I assume you have, but ya' never know), give 'em a listen, right up your alley. HUGE influence on the last two Liars records, especially the pounding double drum march of "Horizontal Hold". Sound a bit like Neu!, but even more atonal and freaky.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:34 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
ZombieZoneSolu tions wrote:Sort of a mix of Neu!, Silver Apples, Einsturzende

one band you didn't mention was This Heat.

Admittedly, I only heard of them when Murphy gave them the first shout out at the end of "Losing My Edge", but with my recent find of the joys of emusic, I was finally able to listen to their self titled debut yesterday...motherofyourGod, WOW!

Zombie, if you haven't heard of them before (I assume you have, but ya' never know), give 'em a listen, right up your alley. HUGE influence on the last two Liars records, especially the pounding double drum march of "Horizontal Hold". Sound a bit like Neu!, but even more atonal and freaky.

Hey, thanks for the heads up! I've heard their name dropped a few
times, but didn't know what their deal was; you're correct that it sounds
like something thats right up my alley! I love that whole experimental
krautrokk 70s drone prog noise thang...

Maybe I'll pick this one up along with RATHER RIPPED this week. Have
you heard that one yet? The new SONIC YOUTH? I heard 'Incinerate'
on the radio the other day and it nearly brought tears to my eyes; not
'cause its a sad song, just that its so damn good! A really pretty catchy
noisy little song song. Its almost pop! art-core noisepop, of course...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby mistertim on Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:58 am

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:Maybe I'll pick this one up along with RATHER RIPPED this week. Have
you heard that one yet? The new SONIC YOUTH? I heard 'Incinerate'
on the radio the other day and it nearly brought tears to my eyes; not
'cause its a sad song, just that its so damn good! A really pretty catchy
noisy little song song. Its almost pop! art-core noisepop, of course...

Not heard Rather Ripped yet.. but it's on my list for payday, for definate. Any UK Zoners going to see them at ATP in December? gutted I don't have a ticket.
"That's why they sent me I am an expert."
mistertim
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:03 am

You wanna hear the awesome sound of This Heat? I give unto you Health and Efficiency.

They sound arty and rockin' for our times, and this fucking thing was recorded about 30 years ago!

oh, and since this thread is about Liars, here's a track I hadn't heard from them before.
Last edited by Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:16 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:You wanna hear the awesome sound of This Heat? I give unto you Health and Efficiency.

They sound arty and rockin' for our times, and this fucking thing was recorded about 30 years ago!

Very cool, man! Thanks for the link! (Dunno how I missed these guys for
so long, but they are definately right up my alley!)
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby unikrunk on Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:53 pm

Zoners, stop dicking about and go pick up The Sword's debut album, Age of Winters.
Then, go home, but on Conan the Barbarian and play this album over it.

/put on your brown pants first.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:22 pm

all right, I'm gonna come right out and admit this is sketchy, 'cuz even tho' p4k has (had, apparently :x) posted it as a stream, every blog that I've seen it posted on has been asked to take it down...

well, every blog except this one!*

Liars, "Plaster Casts of Everything".

now, since they released my favorite album of the year last year with Drum's Not Dead and since they are one of my favorite bands of the 2000's, I'm probably biased here, but...

that fucking rocks. Hard. Blows the fucking roof off the singles I've heard from Era Vulgaris, Zeitgeist or pretty much any other band this year not named Boris, and that track gives "Starship Narrator" a run for most ROCK ULTIMATE track I've heard this year.

*and if that gets pulled and anyone wants to hear it lemme know, I'll put up a link-y.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Silent Shout on Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:29 pm

When is the album officially being released?

I didn't get Drum's Not Dead until early 2007, but I agree that it was one of the better records of 2006.

Who is this captain and where do his friends live?
I just want your music tonight
Silent Shout
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:49 pm

Silent Shout wrote:When is the album officially being released?

August 28th is the last date I heard.

but the, how shall I say, dam has broke, so to speak.

Silent Shout wrote:I didn't get Drum's Not Dead until early 2007, but I agree that it was one of the better records of 2006.

coolio, glad you enjoyed it.

this one was supposedly going to be a "chilled out" affair, but apparently they've gotten Angus to play guitar, and if "Plaster Casts" is any indication, they've decided to go balls out (and no, Angus, that doesn't mean I need you flash the crowd again!) rock on this one.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Music