What's the big deal? - Hype you just don't get.

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

What's the big deal? - Hype you just don't get.

Postby Pudie on Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:57 pm

For me, it's Alice In Chains. It's not that they suck, I just find them pretty average and never really got why people dig them so much. A lot of people say it's because of Layne. I, honestly, don't think he's all that great. I will give the band lyrics. They do write some good lyrics. But other then that it all, singing included, sounds pretty average to me.

So what band gets hyped that you just dont understand why? And lets try and stay away from TRL crap. That's all pretty obvious. Go for a band that is at least respectable.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:02 pm

Brocktune wrote:death cab for cutie

Thank you.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:03 pm

oh man,
for me, this is akin to opening pandora's box.
here are just a few off the top of my head...

KISS
death cab for cutie
modest mouse
matisyahu
panic at the disco
rancid
the arcade fire
tristan prettyman
test icicles
james blunt

if anyone takes umbridge with any of my selections, then by all means, i invite you to a friendly discourse concerning the reasoning behind my selections.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:06 pm

Pete Doherty.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: What's the big deal? - Hype you just don't get.

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:08 pm

Pudie wrote:For me, it's Alice In Chains. It's not that they suck, I just find them pretty average and never really got why people dig them so much. A lot of people say it's because of Layne. I, honestly, don't think he's all that great. I will give the band lyrics. They do write some good lyrics. But other then that it all, singing included, sounds pretty average to me.

So what band gets hyped that you just dont understand why? And lets try and stay away from TRL crap. That's all pretty obvious. Go for a band that is at least respectable.

Alice to me was always great vocals with good guitar and biting lyrics. Usually you don't get all three in one band. Also, it's tough for a lot of rockers to "yell" in tune, but the lead for AIC pulls it off nicely (Chris Cornell is another).

As for overhyped or overrated.

MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE.

Sorry, I have to go vomit at the mere thought of them.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby DennisMM on Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:12 pm

Brocktune wrote:KISS

Along with the Dead, perhaps the most overrated band of all time. Vaguely competent musically. Silly songs. Idiotic theater even when they didn't wear the makeup and costumes. . While I realize they had significant problems with Ace Frehley's drug use, cashiering their only better-than-competent player was not the greatest idea Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley ever had. Overdubbing Peter Criss's vocal on "Beth" for one of the greatest hits albums was simply inexcusable -- they cut him to the bone with the biggest insult I could imagine. Gene Simmons is a disgusting human being; I don't care if he's never had an illegal drug and doesn't drink or smoke. He fucked hundreds if not thousands of groupies over the years while married to Shannon Tweed.

I once worked in a record store with a guy whose two favorite bands (this was in the early '90s) were KISS and The Monkees. He would buy tickets for dinner theater appearances by David Jones. He also would travel 500 miles to see KISS even though he'd seen them locally and a couple of hundred miles away on the same tour. When I met him he had a not terribly bright but very nice, pretty, redhaired, slightly chubby, stacked girlfriend. She got into his hobbies as much as she reasonably could. One night after a KISS concert he offered her to a smirking, salacious Gene Simmons. . My opinion of this fellow, not terribly high at the best of times, bottomed out that day.
Last edited by DennisMM on Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Kilgore on Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:30 pm

Say what you will...but I never have understood the furious passion held by Metallica die-hards.

I mean, they're good and all, but you know what I'm talking about.

Also, I put Rush in this category...I like them, but not twenty-four plus purchased releases worth of dedication.

But mostly, I don't get Jimmy Buffet.

A guy who shouldv'e had one novelty hit and then directly to State Fairs for twenty years has an unbelievable following of die-hards.

WHY? It's all the same fucking 'I'm forty, drunk and irresponsible, ain't it grand!' song. EVERY ONE OF 'EM.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:36 pm

DennisMM wrote:

Along with the Dead, perhaps the most overrated band of all time. Vaguely competent musically. Silly songs. Idiotic theater even when they didn't wear the makeup and costumes. . While I realize they had significant problems with Ace Frehley's drug use, cashiering their only better-than-competent player was not the greatest idea Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley ever had. Overdubbing Peter Criss's vocal on "Beth" for one of the greatest hits albums was simply inexcusable -- they cut him to the bone with the biggest insult I could imagine. Gene Simmons is a disgusting human being; I don't care if he's never had an illegal drug and doesn't drink or smoke. He fucked hundreds if not thousands of groupies over the years while in married to Shannon Tweed.

I once worked in a record store with a guy whose two favorite bands (this was in the early '90s) were KISS and The Monkees. He would buy tickets for dinner theater appearances by David Jones. He also would travel 500 miles to see KISS even though he'd seen them locally and a couple of hundred miles away on the same tour. When I met him he had a not terribly bright but very nice, pretty, redhaired, slightly chubby, stacked girlfriend. She got into his hobbies as much as she reasonably could. One night after a KISS concert he offered her to a smirking, salacious Gene Simmons. . My opinion of this fellow, not terribly high at the best of times, bottomed out that day.

i knew i couldnt be the only one!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pudie on Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:36 pm

Man I fucking hate KISS. AC/DC too. It's been like 30 years. Make someting new!
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:39 pm

Pudie wrote: AC/DC too. It's been like 30 years. Make someting new!

BAH!!!!

"Whole Lotta rosie" & "Guns For Hire" & "Ride On" are teh balm!!!!!!!

ac/dc rocks yo!!!!!
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Bean on Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:55 pm

I have to be honest, I never much enjoyed AC/DC to begin with, but I've definitely grown out of them. Every one of their songs sounds the same, and it's all not that great...

DennisMM wrote:

Along with the Dead, perhaps the most overrated band of all time. Vaguely competent musically. Silly songs. Idiotic theater even when they didn't wear the makeup and costumes. . While I realize they had significant problems with Ace Frehley's drug use, cashiering their only better-than-competent player was not the greatest idea Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley ever had. Overdubbing Peter Criss's vocal on "Beth" for one of the greatest hits albums was simply inexcusable -- they cut him to the bone with the biggest insult I could imagine. Gene Simmons is a disgusting human being; I don't care if he's never had an illegal drug and doesn't drink or smoke. He fucked hundreds if not thousands of groupies over the years while in married to Shannon Tweed.

I hope you don't mean the Grateful Dead!!! :shock:

But I'll definitely give you KISS, they suck. Except when they're on Family Guy: KISS saved Santa!!! :lol:
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:10 pm

Kilgore wrote:Say what you will...but I never have understood the furious passion held by Metallica die-hards.

i agree. except for the fact that the first 3 metallica records kind of set a new standard for metal that just about every metal band to come down the pike for the next ten years was held to. those first 3 full length eps were the shit. but (imo) metallica died with cliff burton. and have you seen "Some Kind of Monster"? my god, what a trainwreck.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:21 pm

Bean wrote:I have to be honest, I never much enjoyed AC/DC to begin with, but I've definitely grown out of them. Every one of their songs sounds the same, and it's all not that great...
I hope you don't mean the Grateful Dead!!! :shock:

But I'll definitely give you KISS, they suck. Except when they're on Family Guy: KISS saved Santa!!! :lol:

I wouldn't take them down peg by peg, Bean, but I do believe that. Overrated is not the same as bad. It's the slavish devotion (by any fan base) that confuses me, but KISS and The Grateful Dead are two of the most visible.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby DennisMM on Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:23 pm

Kilgore wrote:But mostly, I don't get Jimmy Buffet.

A guy who shouldv'e had one novelty hit and then directly to State Fairs for twenty years has an unbelievable following of die-hards.

WHY? It's all the same fucking 'I'm forty, drunk and irresponsible, ain't it grand!' song. EVERY ONE OF 'EM.

What's really sad is that some of his early material and a few albums here and there since the early '80s do have some good songwriting and singing. It's finding them amidst "Let's Get Drunk and Screw" and its cohorts that makes things all the sadder.
DennisMM

Postby Ribbons on Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:46 pm

You know, I isn't going to get into another shouting match about these "your favorite band sucks" threads that appear from time to time, but I am just gonna say that, in my opinion, a lot of the hype that people "don't get" here they actually do.

Are you really that confused as to why My Chemical Romance is popular? They're hugely successful with a very specific demographic because they're riding a wave of emo-ness that the disaffected youths of America have currently embraced as their badge du jour and they have a couple of good videos under their belt to make them stand out from the pack.

Now if everyone in the Zone, or your friends and co-workers, even, went on and on about how My Chemical Romance rocked their socks then I can see "not getting it." But it's like me saying I "don't get" the hype for 50 Cent. That's all I'm gonna say on that matter, and perhaps suggest that people "don't get" the hype for bands that actually have some sort of credibility that transcends focus groups. Death Cab, AC/DC, Madonna, Radiohead, Jimmy Buffett, Common(...?), etc.; those are pretty good examples, methinks. Anyway, just a suggestion. Feel free to ignore it to your heart's content.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Brocktune on Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:58 pm

Ribbons wrote:That's all I'm gonna say on that matter, and perhaps suggest that people "don't get" the hype for bands that actually have some sort of credibility that transcends focus groups. Death Cab, AC/DC, Madonna, Radiohead, Jimmy Buffett, Common(...?), etc.; those are pretty good examples, methinks.

im just a little confused by this statement, bro. perhaps you could dumb it down a shade for me. im keen to see your POV.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:02 pm

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:15 pm

Tubbs Tattsyrup wrote:Clap Your Hands Say Yeah.

the tubbsy, the!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:33 pm

Susan Cagle.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thomasgaffney on Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:35 pm

Adam Balm wrote:Susan Cagle.

Sacrilege!!!!!
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Kilgore on Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:55 pm

Adam Balm wrote:Susan Cagle.

Lawrence from Office Space wrote:No. No, man. Shit, no, man. I believe you'll get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:46 am

Brocktune wrote:
Ribbons wrote:That's all I'm gonna say on that matter, and perhaps suggest that people "don't get" the hype for bands that actually have some sort of credibility that transcends focus groups. Death Cab, AC/DC, Madonna, Radiohead, Jimmy Buffett, Common(...?), etc.; those are pretty good examples, methinks.

im just a little confused by this statement, bro. perhaps you could dumb it down a shade for me. im keen to see your POV.

What I'm trying to say is that a lot of people outside of one particular demographic think that those artists that I listed have some sort of merit. Obviously there are demographics and cultural forces at play with their popularity as well, but I can more conceivably run into someone on here, say, who likes Madonna or is a Parrothead than someone who likes Simple Plan. My Chemical Romance is very popular, but their appeal is fairly limited. Which isn't to say their fans are exclusive to that demo, but I guess I'm saying I think that My Chemical Romance doesn't really have "hype" just because they headline the Warped Tour. Like everyone who stands outside of that little world understands that the flurry of media surrounding them is largely due to the fact that most teenagers think they're cool. I don't know, does that make sense? Even if you do agree with me, I suppose it depends on how you define hype a little as well.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Pudie on Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:31 am

Brocktune wrote:
Kilgore wrote:Say what you will...but I never have understood the furious passion held by Metallica die-hards.

i agree. except for the fact that the first 3 metallica records kind of set a new standard for metal that just about every metal band to come down the pike for the next ten years was held to. those first 3 full length eps were the shit. but (imo) metallica died with cliff burton. and have you seen "Some Kind of Monster"? my god, what a trainwreck.

What I dont get about the band and their fans is the old fans that still worhip the guys.

Up untill Black Album, their albums were brilliant. Arguably some of the best metal records EVER released. Black Album was good, but horribly over rated. And since then the band has been on a steady decline. And this isn;'t just me saying this. This is pretty common. But there's still those guys out there who think they are still the greatest thing on the planet and it boggles my mind.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:39 am

I mean, they're good and all, but you know what I'm talking about.

Also, I put Rush in this category...I like them, but not twenty-four plus purchased releases worth of dedication.

But mostly, I don't get Jimmy Buffet.

Question:

Were you listening to these bands in the early-mid 80s, or did you discover them later? If you heard them in their prime, you'd understand the devotion.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:11 am

Second for Susan Cagle.

Any new band with "the" as a prefix. Heheheh, actually, there are alot of new bands I like with "the" in the name, but jesus, can't someone quit with the trend?

Er... I wanna form a band called The Prefix now. :D
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:00 pm

The Strokes: Semi competent guitar band with a truly awful singer.

50cent: Yo! Bro! No! Don't fink so!

REM: Michael Stipe is surely the most preposterous man in rock with inane lyrics to match ("everybody hurts" indeed. Profound, huh?) MOR indie group for the hard of hearing.

Eminem: I don't question his impact or influence, but do we still have to listen to his laughable rants, all because his mumsy was a coke-head and didn't tuck him up in bed as a kiddie?

Velvet Revolver: Is a comment necessary?

Audioslave: Good idea on paper, but doesn't quite work for me.

Greenday: Punks, mascara, black clothes, giving it 'large'. Please. Be serious. This is purely revenge of the nerd stuff.

Janis Joplin: Sure, a great blues singer. But I have to confess listening to her for over 20 minutes and my ears start to bleed. Give me Aretha Franklin any time.

Madonna: Again, her impact and influence is undoubted. But surely outside a few good singles, her music amounts to nothing. The perfect example of a triumph of style over substance.

Dido: Jesus, has music ever reached such catastrophic depths. Seriously, her records should carry a mental heath warning.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:08 pm

I wouldn't even classify Green Day as punks....more like suburbanite faux punks.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:09 pm

But they do write catchy choons.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LeFlambeur on Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:28 pm

HollywoodBabylon wrote:The Strokes: Semi competent guitar band with a truly awful singer.

50cent: Yo! Bro! No! Don't fink so!

REM: Michael Stipe is surely the most preposterous man in rock with inane lyrics to match ("everybody hurts" indeed. Profound, huh?) MOR indie group for the hard of hearing.

Eminem: I don't question his impact or influence, but do we still have to listen to his laughable rants, all because his mumsy was a coke-head and didn't tuck him up in bed as a kiddie?

Velvet Revolver: Is a comment necessary?

Audioslave: Good idea on paper, but doesn't quite work for me.

Greenday: Punks, mascara, black clothes, giving it 'large'. Please. Be serious. This is purely revenge of the nerd stuff.

Janis Joplin: Sure, a great blues singer. But I have to confess listening to her for over 20 minutes and my ears start to bleed. Give me Aretha Franklin any time.

Madonna: Again, her impact and influence is undoubted. But surely outside a few good singles, her music amounts to nothing. The perfect example of a triumph of style over substance.

Dido: Jesus, has music ever reached such catastrophic depths. Seriously, her records should carry a mental heath warning.

AMEN.l
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby brendonconnelly on Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:09 pm

Scorsese. I don't get it.

That's not quality filmmaking, that's silly. Its shouting at the top of your lungs when a whisper would do.
brendonconnelly
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:13 pm

brendonconnelly wrote:Scorsese. I don't get it.

That's not quality filmmaking, that's silly. Its shouting at the top of your lungs when a whisper would do.

Dude...this is in the music forum. Read the first post.

Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:52 am

Somebody explain to me the appeal of Oasis.

It just sounds like all the other superficial fluff crowding the airwaves to me. When I hear people compare them to the Beatles it makes me wanna kill.

Besides, could the Gallagher brothers be bigger assholes?
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Ribbons on Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:07 am

HollywoodBabylon wrote:50cent: Yo! Bro! No! Don't fink so!

This is not a defense of 50 Cent's music per se, but "Yo! Bro!" doesn't strike you as a tad ignorant? Even if you hate him because his music panders to gangster tropes, it's still a little more complicated than a couple of slang words.

HollywoodBabylon wrote:Eminem: I don't question his impact or influence, but do we still have to listen to his laughable rants, all because his mumsy was a coke-head and didn't tuck him up in bed as a kiddie?

First of all, besides for starting Shady Records and allowing a andful of truly awful rap artists to make an album or two, what influence has this man had? Second of all, his genuine rants didn't develop until he'd entered the latter half of his career, and most of them have little, if anything, to do with his mother. Third of all, like him or not, but implying that the dude is a crybaby and is still sore because his "mumsy didn't tuck him up in bed as a kiddie" is crass. Even a cursory glance at his bio will tell you that he had a pretty shitty childhood. But at the end of the day, he could be rapping about essentially nothing and he'd still be fairly wealthy. Master P can afford to buy a car for his 12-year old son, for pete's sake.

HollywoodBabylon wrote:Green Day: Punks, mascara, black clothes, giving it 'large'. Please. Be serious. This is purely revenge of the nerd stuff.

I must confess your revenge of the nerd comment to be quite puzzling to me (I also have absolutely no clue what "giving it large" means, but I assume that it's a British colloquialism that we Americans -- or this American, in any case -- are not clued in on). But besides for that, I'd like to point out that their image of "mascara and black clothes"-clad punks only developed with their latest CD. For the bulk of their career they looked and dressed like regular shlubs. If I had to take a stab at why I think American Idiot is their most popular album since Dookie (at least, and possibly ever), I'd highlight two subcultural trends: 1) political activism/anti-Bushism. This CD makes no bones about its opinion of the current regime's foreign policy and of the people who support it, albeit in a neo-punk rock, everyone-is-a-sheep-except-for-me kind of way. Because of that, it immediately becomes accessible to both the politically frustrated crowd and the teenage/young adult everyone-is-a-sheep-except-for-me crowd. Oh, and then there's 2): emo. Say it with me now: "eee-moe." Almost every suburban adolescent is an emo kid at heart; they have unresolved issues with a girl, a boy, parents, family members, looming big decisions, etc. And so when songs about how someone else is totally misunderstood or sadder than everyone else around them come on, they click with those kids. The bonus of a song like "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" is that it's got a rockin' guitar riff during the chorus, so people don't have to be embarrassed when they're caught singing it in front of their friends. Oh, and I'm guessing (due to the content) that it's the first Green Day CD that most adults feel like they can listen to, which probably goes a ways towards helping sales as well. So, yeah. Plus, I got to give it to Green Day: musically, this is probably their most complex album. While a lot of the lyrics remain puerile (just how in the hell did "my shallow heart/ the only thing that's beating" become an anthem anyway?), the songs on American Idiot sound less like one another than songs usually do on Green Day CDs.

Anyway, sorry for that incredibly sloppy paragraph, but hopefully you got the gist of what I'm trying to say. Oh, and I agree with you about Madonna, btw. Has no one else noticed that this woman never sings about anything? It's actually a little amazing. Perhaps that's what makes her so malleable, I don't know.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Carolian on Wed May 03, 2006 12:23 pm

Bumpin' cuz I'm in the mood to rant.

Franz Ferdinand. "Ooh, we write songs that mimic Gang of Four with none of the intelligence or originality GoF posessed, while adding a few dancy touches to 'modernize' it, and injecting a healthy dose of 21st century androgyny!"

The White Stripes/The Strokes/The Killers/The Hives/The Vines. Christ, enough fucking throwbacks already.

I'll throw in votes for Kiss and the Grateful Dead, too. Same for Death Cab For Cutie, Panic! At The Disco and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. Oh, you have such CUTE NAMES! Too bad your music is so fucking heartless and self-consciously quirky.

I could keep on ranting for the rest of the day, but most of the names I'd rant about (new Green Day, Madonna, 50 Cent, Audioslave) have already been mentioned. Gah. Modern music!
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby JabberJaw on Wed May 03, 2006 12:45 pm

As a kid i loved KISS..now-a-days i find the annoying, but still will bounce my head to a few of their songs.

Jimmy Buffet - I just have never got him, never really like his music.

The next 2 will be VERY contoversial....

Led Zepplin - I know, i know..how could i say it..i just dont like them, i dont like Plants voice, i have never thought Page was that great of a guitar player

Nirvana - angry, songs all sound the same. A suicide is why this band gets the hype. If they would have continued it would have grown tired.
ImageImage
JabberJaw
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed May 03, 2006 12:50 pm

Susan Fucking Cagle. Seriously.

Well, whaddya know, it worked.....I think I'll go outside now and everything.....
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Wed May 03, 2006 12:56 pm

Ribbons wrote:
HollywoodBabylon wrote:50cent: Yo! Bro! No! Don't fink so!

This is not a defense of 50 Cent's music per se, but "Yo! Bro!" doesn't strike you as a tad ignorant? Even if you hate him because his music panders to gangster tropes, it's still a little more complicated than a couple of slang words.

HollywoodBabylon wrote:Eminem: I don't question his impact or influence, but do we still have to listen to his laughable rants, all because his mumsy was a coke-head and didn't tuck him up in bed as a kiddie?

First of all, besides for starting Shady Records and allowing a andful of truly awful rap artists to make an album or two, what influence has this man had? Second of all, his genuine rants didn't develop until he'd entered the latter half of his career, and most of them have little, if anything, to do with his mother. Third of all, like him or not, but implying that the dude is a crybaby and is still sore because his "mumsy didn't tuck him up in bed as a kiddie" is crass. Even a cursory glance at his bio will tell you that he had a pretty shitty childhood. But at the end of the day, he could be rapping about essentially nothing and he'd still be fairly wealthy. Master P can afford to buy a car for his 12-year old son, for pete's sake.

HollywoodBabylon wrote:Green Day: Punks, mascara, black clothes, giving it 'large'. Please. Be serious. This is purely revenge of the nerd stuff.

I must confess your revenge of the nerd comment to be quite puzzling to me (I also have absolutely no clue what "giving it large" means, but I assume that it's a British colloquialism that we Americans -- or this American, in any case -- are not clued in on). But besides for that, I'd like to point out that their image of "mascara and black clothes"-clad punks only developed with their latest CD. For the bulk of their career they looked and dressed like regular shlubs. If I had to take a stab at why I think American Idiot is their most popular album since Dookie (at least, and possibly ever), I'd highlight two subcultural trends: 1) political activism/anti-Bushism. This CD makes no bones about its opinion of the current regime's foreign policy and of the people who support it, albeit in a neo-punk rock, everyone-is-a-sheep-except-for-me kind of way. Because of that, it immediately becomes accessible to both the politically frustrated crowd and the teenage/young adult everyone-is-a-sheep-except-for-me crowd. Oh, and then there's 2): emo. Say it with me now: "eee-moe." Almost every suburban adolescent is an emo kid at heart; they have unresolved issues with a girl, a boy, parents, family members, looming big decisions, etc. And so when songs about how someone else is totally misunderstood or sadder than everyone else around them come on, they click with those kids. The bonus of a song like "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" is that it's got a rockin' guitar riff during the chorus, so people don't have to be embarrassed when they're caught singing it in front of their friends. Oh, and I'm guessing (due to the content) that it's the first Green Day CD that most adults feel like they can listen to, which probably goes a ways towards helping sales as well. So, yeah. Plus, I got to give it to Green Day: musically, this is probably their most complex album. While a lot of the lyrics remain puerile (just how in the hell did "my shallow heart/ the only thing that's beating" become an anthem anyway?), the songs on American Idiot sound less like one another than songs usually do on Green Day CDs.

Anyway, sorry for that incredibly sloppy paragraph, but hopefully you got the gist of what I'm trying to say. Oh, and I agree with you about Madonna, btw. Has no one else noticed that this woman never sings about anything? It's actually a little amazing. Perhaps that's what makes her so malleable, I don't know.

Ribbons, I take on board your points about 50 Cent, Eminem and Green Day, even though I stand by my opinions of them. However, I was trying to be slightly tongue-in-cheek - which didn't perhaps come across clearly enough in my original post. So if any fans did feel genuinely put out by what I said, then I regret that, but hopefully they'll take my post in the spirit with which it was intended. :wink:
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Wed May 03, 2006 12:56 pm

Yes, indeed, JJ -- Zeppelin bugs me after a short while because of Plant's screeching voice. Damn you, damn you, Bobby Plant, for bringing the falsetto to "heavy" music.

Nirvana made a couple of wonderful albums but were a better singles band, as are many. I disagree that they would have faded completely into the background by now, but I do think they'd be at Pearl Jam levels, in the background with other "used-to-be but are still decent" acts.
DennisMM

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed May 03, 2006 12:58 pm

When did everyone fall in love with Tool and forget to tell me? I've heard one song by them, and suddenly everyone's anticipating their new album.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby JabberJaw on Wed May 03, 2006 1:15 pm

DennisMM wrote:Yes, indeed, JJ -- Zeppelin bugs me after a short while because of Plant's screeching voice. Damn you, damn you, Bobby Plant, for bringing the falsetto to "heavy" music.

Nirvana made a couple of wonderful albums but were a better singles band, as are many. I disagree that they would have faded completely into the background by now, but I do think they'd be at Pearl Jam levels, in the background with other "used-to-be but are still decent" acts.

Agreed, i can understand Nirvana's importance at the time they hit it big. They really struck a nerve with the angst ridden teens and such. I just havent agreed with there god like status the have received over the years.

I will throw this one at you.

The Doors to me are one of the most overrated bands of all time. Morrison was a great front man and very enigamtic figure. But as a singer not good, and the band itself just never has done anything for me
ImageImage
JabberJaw
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Vegeta on Wed May 03, 2006 1:16 pm

AC/DC and The Ramones both for the same reason:

Every fucking song is nearly identical. Literally you can exchange the chorus of any AC/DC song with another and it fit's 100%. And the Ramones :roll: can you say "1, 2, 3, 4... dah, dah-dah, dah-dah, dah, dah ,dah ,dah-dah, dah" (repeat)
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Wed May 03, 2006 1:29 pm

JabberJaw wrote:

I will throw this one at you.

The Doors to me are one of the most overrated bands of all time. Morrison was a great front man and very enigamtic figure. But as a singer not good, and the band itself just never has done anything for me

Not so sure about that. I certainly don't buy into the tedious cult surrounding Morrison but tracks like 'LA Women', 'Riders On The Storm', 'The End', 'Break On Through', 'Light My Fire', 'Tell All The People', 'The Unknown Soldier' and 'Yes, The River Knows', for instance, are surely some of the finest rock music ever recorded.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Vegeta on Wed May 03, 2006 1:42 pm

Also Green Day... blech, I hate them so. Billy "If I sing with a faux British punk accent, that makes me totally 'punk'" Armstrong is a terrible singer and their lyrics are pedestrian at best. And they're basically "let's get all political and stuff" last album is eye rollingly niave (in depth of thought anyways), and puke inducingly heralded as "pure genius", by the clueless music community. Argh, I hate them so, talentless hacks. (don't think their talentless, how long do you think it took them to write "Brainstew/Jaded"? Honestly, it couldn't be more than 30 seconds... what crap)

Sorry about the rant, Greenday just makes my blood curdle.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby The Ginger Man on Wed May 03, 2006 1:53 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Tubbs Tattsyrup wrote:Clap Your Hands Say Yeah.

the tubbsy, the!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby The Ginger Man on Wed May 03, 2006 2:00 pm

JabberJaw wrote:Nirvana - angry, songs all sound the same. A suicide is why this band gets the hype. If they would have continued it would have grown tired.

I'm with you on this one. While I understand their significance in music history and the effect Cobain's suicide (martyrdom?) had on their legacy...I just never found them that interesting. I feel their immitators and successors detract from anything that once was there. For me, Dave Grohl is the best thing Nirvana left with us.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Vegeta on Wed May 03, 2006 2:06 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:
JabberJaw wrote:Nirvana - angry, songs all sound the same. A suicide is why this band gets the hype. If they would have continued it would have grown tired.

I'm with you on this one. While I understand their significance in music history and the effect Cobain's suicide (martyrdom?) had on their legacy...I just never found them that interesting. I feel their immitators and successors detract from anything that once was there. For me, Dave Grohl is the best thing Nirvana left with us.

In the end that is very, very true.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby DennisMM on Wed May 03, 2006 2:38 pm

JabberJaw wrote:I will throw this one at you.

Best analysis of Jim Morrison ever: Denis Leary's. "I'm drunk I'm nobody, I'm drunk I'm famous, I'm drunk I'm dead. Big studly drunk guy dead in a bathtub."

The first person here who calls Jim Morrison a poet has a price on his/her head. Yes, a few great songs, but with such pretensions to Rimbaud-ism that had he lived he'd have deserved a good slap in the face from early punk.
DennisMM

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Wed May 03, 2006 2:47 pm

DennisMM wrote:
JabberJaw wrote:I will throw this one at you.

The first person here who calls Jim Morrison a poet has a price on his/her head. Yes, a few great songs, but pretentious to a point that Bob Dylan looks like Dylan Thomas. He was all hat and no cattle, as Texans say.

Best analysis of Jim Morrison ever: Denis Leary's. "I'm drunk I'm nobody, I'm drunk I'm famous, I'm drunk I'm dead. Big studly drunk guy dead in a bathtub."

Yes, the canonization of Morrison as some sort a great rock poet is ridiculous (throw Cobain into that melting pot as well - though in fairness to Cobain he may've developed into something special. We'll never know). I still think The Doors were quite a band though, I do enjoy listening to them, despite the nonsense surrounding old 'Mr Mojo Rising'.
Oliver Stone's lamentable movie didn't exactly help his cause either. It's surely one of the worst rock-biopics it's been my misfortune to see. Avoid at all costs, even after all this time.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Wed May 03, 2006 3:03 pm

Sorry for the odd disparity between my post and HB's. While he was writing I was editing. My apologies.

I do like parts of the movie, especially the bits where Morrison's absolute assholiness shines through.
DennisMM

Postby St. Alphonzo on Wed May 03, 2006 3:06 pm

So Dennis, do you really think that Bob Dylan is pretentious?

His "dream" songs are a bit much, but I'd say he comes the closest to the songwriter-as-poet of anyone in the rock era. "Desolation Row", "Boots of Spanish Leather", "With God On Our Side"... I'd put those up against most any modern American poetry.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Next

Return to Music