What's the big deal? - Hype you just don't get.

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby Brocktune on Wed May 10, 2006 6:59 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Yo dude did you check out that film on Mr. Moog too?... He was a right mensch. Don't get me wrong I love the moog (Stevie fucking Wonderman!), but they ain't doing it right...

theres a film on robert moog?!?! i gotta see that shit!
oh, and point well taken.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Wed May 10, 2006 7:00 pm

Moog!

It looks like the wonderful people at IMDB didn't much like it, but I enjoyed the film. Maybe it's because I saw it the day after the man died of brain cancer, but it's worth a looksie. Though there's a little too much Rick Wakeman for my liking...speaking of which:

Pudie wrote:Hype you just don't get

Not only do I not get Yes, but I fucking hate the bastards. Sure, Starship Trooper's a good track, but that aside, take your theremins and your double-stacked keyboards outta my music collection and back to the bottom of a cardboard box full of dusty records in a Bazaar Sale where you belong.

Also Roxy Music. I'm sorry, I've tried to get into this band, but it just ain't happenin'. Brian Eno's solo work was genius, but put him with Ferry and you get a whole lotta bland.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Brocktune on Wed May 10, 2006 7:46 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Also Roxy Music. I'm sorry, I've tried to get into this band, but it just ain't happenin'. Brian Eno's solo work was genius, but put him with Ferry and you get a whole lotta bland.

try this:

eat a handful of xanax, and then half an hour later, pop your lp of "Country Life" on the hi-fi, and enjoy!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DrillerKiller on Thu May 11, 2006 11:52 am

seppukudkurosawa wrote:U2. I'm not sure what it is about this band that annoys me so much. Maybe it's just that they don't have any good tunes? I mean what else is more important for a good song than melody? Also because they're Oirish (see my location :wink: ).

I fully understand disliking them because they're complete shit, but also disliking them because they're Irish?

Way to step back about 400 years there bud.
Wellycome....in jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby unikrunk on Thu May 11, 2006 1:48 pm

Ireland is the Puerto Rico of Europe :)

/unikrunk is PR, so save it.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Thu May 11, 2006 2:03 pm

DrillerKiller wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:U2. I'm not sure what it is about this band that annoys me so much. Maybe it's just that they don't have any good tunes? I mean what else is more important for a good song than melody? Also because they're Oirish (see my location :wink: ).

I fully understand disliking them because they're complete shit, but also disliking them because they're Irish?

That's a total joke dude. I took a trip out to Ireland a couple months ago, and I can safely say you're the most lovely people in Europe (therefore in the world).

And having just been in the U.S. recently. Folks, aint nobody pronounces it IREland. Even the Irish. It's I-land.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby The Vicar on Thu May 11, 2006 3:22 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Hmm, it's been a long time since I had a big internet ruckus, so I'm gonna name me a few of those staples that just get right up my craw:

Bruce Springsteen. Piss-poor Dylan-lite everyman, whose songs have now become terrible stories full of people who, if you met them in real life, would just make you shrug. We get it, you dig the plebs, good for you.

Just read his lyrics sometimes...for example, Blinded by the Light.
What a load of kark.
Complete bollocks.
Streets of Philadelphia was about the only song of his that didn't cause my ears to eject the drums.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby DrillerKiller on Thu May 11, 2006 6:56 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:
DrillerKiller wrote:

That's a total joke dude. I took a trip out to Ireland a couple months ago, and I can safely say you're the most lovely people in Europe (therefore in the world).

And having just been in the U.S. recently. Folks, aint nobody pronounces it IREland. Even the Irish. It's I-land.

That's fair enough, I wasn't sure if you were serious or not, just had to say something seeing as I'm fiercely proud of this place, even if I do live in the biggest shithole possible. It's the people I like! Them and their self-destructive natures. You just can't hate the tragically jovial. :)

Bono on the other hand can go eat a bowl of cocks.
Wellycome....in jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Lurker Johnson on Thu May 11, 2006 7:23 pm

This may be controversial, but here we go:

What's the deal with American Idol? I honestly do not get any of the hype regarding this "phenomenon". Maybe because I realize that it's not just the singer that makes a band sound good.

I realize I'm opening myself up to criticism here (since the Zone has an Idol thread, which I stay the hell away from), but that's my take. Anyone care to enlighten me?
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Brocktune on Thu May 11, 2006 7:38 pm

Lurker Johnson wrote:What's the deal with American Idol? I honestly do not get any of the hype regarding this "phenomenon". Maybe because I realize that it's not just the singer that makes a band sound good.

couldnt agree more.

i watch it for the hot chicks, and to see people that suck get ripped on. sure, every now and again, they have a contestant or two with some talent. but the show in itself is just a shallow marketing juggernaut. but god is it great to see people that suck get ripped on.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Thu May 11, 2006 7:54 pm

Ditto regarding American Idol (well Pop Idol here), it's manipulative, probably half scripted, trash.
Sorry to the fans.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby brabs on Thu May 11, 2006 7:55 pm

Lurker, I'm with you on that one.
It's just tripe. All of it. They are THE most bland, inane, and manufactured shows ever seen on TV and the "stars" these conveyer belts churn out make the most soulcrushing music known to man. Ever.

Personally, I prefer a little excitement in the music I choose to listen to.
brabs
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby unikrunk on Thu May 11, 2006 8:48 pm

you are preaching to the choir over here Lurker

/DO NOT WANT
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu May 11, 2006 9:02 pm

[beams with pride] I've NEVER watched a single episode [/beams with pride].

Let's go raid the American Idol thread!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby brabs on Thu May 11, 2006 9:15 pm

You really wanna?
brabs
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Pudie on Thu May 11, 2006 9:17 pm

I've seen a few of the winners singing at my moms house and I watch the auditions, but other then that I've never seen American Idol and don't plan to start.

I did watch the last half of Rockstar : INXS though. Mainly for Jordis.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu May 11, 2006 9:29 pm

brabs wrote:You really wanna?

nah, since I've never seeen the show, it would be sorta hypocritical of me.

'course, there's plenty of bands I bash who I've never listened to a whole album of, I wanna ban Mikey Bay from this mortal coil and I haven't watched any bits from Bad Boys II, or Armageddon in it's entirety (I swear I lost more brain cells watching the first 15 minutes of that than my entire life's worth of drinking and drugs), I wanna banish Bendis to a black hole but have only read a couple of things by him...

so, um, if someone else wants to go in there and raise some Havoc, I'll whistle and look the other way...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pudie on Thu May 11, 2006 9:33 pm

I totally agree. Jordis is just a home town girl with an awesome voice. By the time she left, she got 3rd place, I watched the finals just cause I thought it was pointless to stop.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Brocktune on Thu May 11, 2006 9:40 pm

Pudie wrote:I did watch the last half of Rockstar : INXS though. Mainly for Jordis.

that show (imo) is worse and more artistically and morally corrupt than american idol. at least idol doesnt pretend to be something that its not.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Previous

Return to Music