Page 1 of 1

Smoosh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:20 am
by sleepflower
Has anyone else had a listen to this band. They create a truly original structure of songs. The band is formed of two sisters, I think one is 9 (drums) and the other is 13 (keyboard/vox).

They come from seattle, I wanted to see them when they played London but I couldnt make it.

The girls have no formal training on the keyboard and just decided to play what they thought sounded good. Makes it sound different, but still good, they have an ear for it. No real influences as they started so young, if this will change as they grow up we will see.

They were discovered and produced by a guy from death cab for cutie.

They dont do much touring, only what fits in with their normal school life.

See what you think www.smoosh.com or if you already have an opinion I want to hear it.

I have only heard the first album, sketchy but a few stunning standout tracks. Sounds like a demo mostly. They have been accepted mainly by the seattle grunge scene, make of that what you will.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:19 am
by stereosforgeeks
They are a fun pop group. I think i like it more for the novelty factor than the actual music, however.

They sort of sounds like a real young mates of state.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:34 am
by sleepflower
Mates of state? will have to look out for them. Any recomendations?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:50 pm
by stereosforgeeks
Bring It Back is really good, but it is more polished than their previous efforts.

Personally I like it all.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:02 pm
by Ribbons
I like the song "Separate the People" by Mates of State, but that's the only song of theirs I've ever heard, so perhaps it sounds nothing like their usual stuff, I dunno.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:19 pm
by longshot7
I saw them live two Halloweens ago. The lead singer wore her Spider-Man costume the whole show.

great stuff.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:28 am
by sleepflower
Where was the gig?

Got any photos?

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:57 pm
by Brocktune
hate to be a wet blanket, but i have to admit i dont think too much of fem-hanson. i mean smoosh. listened to a couple of their tracks, as they were nominated for best new artist on spin magazine's website. to put it simply, what does being 9 and 13 year old girls and being in a band equal? novelty act, thats what. as soon as these girls hit 16 and 13, and the novelty wears off, they will join the ranks of other such novelty acts as the trachtenburg family slideshow, dynamite hack, musical youth, wheatus, king missle, len, and hanson in the annals of obscurity. i wanted to give these little girls a chance, but i just couldnt relate to their lyrics or sound.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:01 am
by sleepflower
Not suprised you couldnt relate to the sound, it is quite unique.

The fact is, nothing about them is markwting or image, tis all about the unique sound of youth that has been ininfluenced and just play because they want to.

There have been touring postponed apparently before because one tof the girls wanted to go on a school trip.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:22 pm
by Brocktune
hmmm. im not sure where to begin.

ok, how about at the beginning

sleepflower wrote:Not suprised you couldnt relate to the sound, it is quite unique.


whoa. huge slam on me out of nowhere. well, to borrow a phrase from a much beloved and well respected fellow zoner, "An amazing outpouring of glibness...... ".
glibness indeed.
it's amazing how well you know me, and my musical tastes. i personally loathe and shun any and all music that i deem to be "unique". yup, its only the mundane, ordinary and average for me. not only do i fear new things, but you just save more brain cells, the less you use them. i just prefer that my ears and brain are not challenged too much. like by the super challenging music of smoosh for example. milqetoast is my middle name.

sleepflower wrote:The fact is, nothing about them is markwting or image, tis all about the unique sound of youth that has been ininfluenced and just play because they want to.


well, before spelling nazi and grammar nazi come a callin, im going to do you the favor of extending you the credit of assuming you were heavily intoxicated when you penned that statement, and will simply progress to the debunking stage.
the erroneous assumption that there is absolutlely no marketing involved with smoosh is not only naive and asinine, but just plain wrong. however, in addition to that, i also never complained or made any comments negative or otherwise regarding smoosh, and their marketing. believe me, it takes no marketing to make being 9 and 12 a novelty. that just sort of happens on its own. the record companies simply reap the benefits.
and as far as the second part of your statement, the one that says
sleepflower wrote:tis all about the unique sound of youth that has been ininfluenced and just play because they want to.

well, i dont even know what the hell you are getting at. so i will just respond with a hearty "whatever".
now in the future, if you could do closed minded individuals like myself, who hate originality and simply cant relate to the sound of today's "youth" a favor, and not try to challenge, or frighten us with threads praising these kind of hip new cutting edge indie acts, that are so awesome that they are over our heads. ok? thanks.

p.s. i am wary and skeptical of ANY man who can relate to the sounds of a 12 year old girl, pedophile.

p.s. love the av :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:35 pm
by unikrunk
welcome to the Brocktune-Smack-Down-Hour!

Smoosh = Prussian Blue, only nicer, and less 'Nazi-ey'

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:33 pm
by sleepflower
Brocktune wrote:hmmm. im not sure where to begin.

ok, how about at the beginning

sleepflower wrote:Not suprised you couldnt relate to the sound, it is quite unique.


whoa. huge slam on me out of nowhere. well, to borrow a phrase from a much beloved and well respected fellow zoner, "An amazing outpouring of glibness...... ".
glibness indeed.
it's amazing how well you know me, and my musical tastes. i personally loathe and shun any and all music that i deem to be "unique". yup, its only the mundane, ordinary and average for me. not only do i fear new things, but you just save more brain cells, the less you use them. i just prefer that my ears and brain are not challenged too much. like by the super challenging music of smoosh for example. milqetoast is my middle name.

sleepflower wrote:The fact is, nothing about them is markwting or image, tis all about the unique sound of youth that has been ininfluenced and just play because they want to.


well, before spelling nazi and grammar nazi come a callin, im going to do you the favor of extending you the credit of assuming you were heavily intoxicated when you penned that statement, and will simply progress to the debunking stage.
the erroneous assumption that there is absolutlely no marketing involved with smoosh is not only naive and asinine, but just plain wrong. however, in addition to that, i also never complained or made any comments negative or otherwise regarding smoosh, and their marketing. believe me, it takes no marketing to make being 9 and 12 a novelty. that just sort of happens on its own. the record companies simply reap the benefits.
and as far as the second part of your statement, the one that says
sleepflower wrote:tis all about the unique sound of youth that has been ininfluenced and just play because they want to.

well, i dont even know what the hell you are getting at. so i will just respond with a hearty "whatever".
now in the future, if you could do closed minded individuals like myself, who hate originality and simply cant relate to the sound of today's "youth" a favor, and not try to challenge, or frighten us with threads praising these kind of hip new cutting edge indie acts, that are so awesome that they are over our heads. ok? thanks.

p.s. i am wary and skeptical of ANY man who can relate to the sounds of a 12 year old girl, pedophile.

p.s. love the av :wink:


Nothing like getting the wrong end of the stick. I said relate, as in relate it to other music.

Sorry id=f I do not get my words across, I am dyslexic and been working shifts.

If I knew where you lived I would gut you like a fish for calling me a paedophile.

The avartar is merely ok. Better ones will come. Possibly including Hoff.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:25 pm
by Brocktune
sleepflower wrote:If I knew where you lived I would gut you like a fish for calling me a paedophile.


san diego, california, usa, baby!
british airways has non-stop flights here, if im not mistaken.

ill be waiting. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:26 pm
by sleepflower
Brocktune wrote:
sleepflower wrote:If I knew where you lived I would gut you like a fish for calling me a paedophile.


san diego, california, usa, baby!
british airways has non-stop flights here, if im not mistaken.

ill be waiting. :)


I give in, I cannot be arsed to travel that far. Especially on the off chance you are leading me astray.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:34 pm
by Brocktune
sleepflower wrote:
Brocktune wrote:
sleepflower wrote:If I knew where you lived I would gut you like a fish for calling me a paedophile.


san diego, california, usa, baby!
british airways has non-stop flights here, if im not mistaken.

ill be waiting. :)


I give in, I cannot be arsed to travel that far. Especially on the off chance you are leading me astray.


but if i was, you couldnt pick a better city to be mislead to.