Punk-y Power! (Do you Wanna Be Sedated?)

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby Peven on Wed May 03, 2006 3:18 pm

punk, collectively. from Sex Pistols to the Ramones, to...to whoever you want to name. talk about pretentious. i don't think there is a music style/form/genre that is more steeped in pretention, whether its the people making it, or listening to it. in fact, the way big fans of punk like to look down their noses at non-fans is even more offensive than the superior attitude of the "musicians".

and Marilyn Manson. how can a dude with so little actual talent who rips off Alice Cooper's 20 yr old schtick end up becoming so succesful and idolized?

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby unikrunk on Wed May 03, 2006 3:25 pm

Peven wrote:punk, collectively. from Sex Pistols to the Ramones, to...to whoever you want to name. talk about pretentious. i don't think there is a music style/form/genre that is more steeped in pretention, whether its the people making it, or listening to it. in fact, the way big fans of punk like to look down their noses at non-fans is even more offensive than the superior attitude of the "musicians"

Um, that's a pretty broad stroke, no? I mean, I can think of a couple of forms of music with more pretentious people, for example, any symphony in the world and Death Cab for Pukey.

/anything emo too.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Wed May 03, 2006 3:28 pm

Peven, clealry you have never heard of prog rock. Or heard much punk either.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby TonyWilson on Wed May 03, 2006 3:37 pm

Guys I think we need to differentiate between Ambitious and Pretentious.

Opera is hugely ambitious it deals with big themes epic stories and creates beautiful musical worlds. To call it pretenious or symphonies pretentious is really very stupid.
A specific opera or symphony can be pretentious, but not the form itself.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby TonyWilson on Wed May 03, 2006 3:41 pm

Peven wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Peven, clealry you have never heard of prog rock. Or heard much punk either.

see what i mean?

Peven I don't care if you don't like punk, that's cool. I'm not looking down my nose at you.

But calling Punk pretentious is just contrary bullshit.
How can something specifically made to be totally unpretentious be pretentious? Or is it going to be some shit like "because it's trying to be unprententious it's actually prentious. Like I say, calling a type of music pretnetious is just stupidity. Naming specifc bands makes you look a lot more sensible.
TonyWilson

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed May 03, 2006 3:41 pm

unikrunk wrote:
Peven wrote:punk, collectively. from Sex Pistols to the Ramones, to...to whoever you want to name. talk about pretentious. i don't think there is a music style/form/genre that is more steeped in pretention, whether its the people making it, or listening to it. in fact, the way big fans of punk like to look down their noses at non-fans is even more offensive than the superior attitude of the "musicians"

Um, that's a pretty broad stroke, no? I mean, I can think of a couple of forms of music with more pretentious people, for example, any symphony in the world and Death Cab for Pukey.

/anything emo too.

What about Opera? I mean if we are talking pretentious here....I can't think of too many opera's you see occuring on street corners or filling up major stadiums.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Wed May 03, 2006 3:44 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Peven, clealry you have never heard of prog rock. Or heard much punk either.

see what i mean?

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby unikrunk on Wed May 03, 2006 3:45 pm

Oh yes, opera as well. You never hear: "That opera crowd is so grounded, you know, so humble and down to earth..."

/Whiskey
//Tango
///Foxtrot
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Wed May 03, 2006 3:45 pm

Peven wrote:

see what i mean?

no.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Wed May 03, 2006 3:49 pm

Peven wrote:
unikrunk wrote:
Peven wrote:

see what i mean?

no.

the assumption that i must not have heard much if i don't like it. it is the superior atitude of which i speak, that punk is above criticism, and those who don't like it just aren't good/smart/hip/cool enough to "get it". maybe i have heard more than enough of it to know i really just don't like it.

Sad thing is Peven, you have no evidence to suggest I like Punk and I'mn therefore sneering at you.
I brought you up on callign it pretentious. Now you don't like it and that's fair enough, but calling it pretentious is just bullshit.
Punk fan or non punk fan will tell you the same thing.
TonyWilson

Postby Peven on Wed May 03, 2006 3:50 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
unikrunk wrote:

/anything emo too.

What about Opera? I mean if we are talking pretentious here....I can't think of too many opera's you see occuring on street corners or filling up major stadiums.

actually, i have seen more opera than i care to, growing up in a house with a father who enjoys it and tuned into PBS all the time to watch, and NO, i don't think the genre or people who are involved in it are as stuck on themselves and look down on others the way the punk collective do. sure, there are divas, but there are also artists who participate in community projects in trying to bring music to the underprivaliged, or donating their time, effort, and money to struggling small theatres in support of the arts. in fact, i had a professor back in college who taight music theory that at one time was an opera singer in NYC in some major productions, and while he obviously loved his craft, he wanted to spread that love and appreciation of music more than act superior for being part of it, or look down his nose at those who weren't.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Wed May 03, 2006 3:52 pm

this is the most ALF thread EVAR!
This will never be more than a "my tastes are better than yours" discussion...

I'm busting outta this thread, who's with me!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Wed May 03, 2006 3:53 pm

unikrunk wrote:
Peven wrote:

see what i mean?

no.

the assumption that i must not have heard much if i don't like it. it is the superior atitude of which i speak, that punk is above criticism, and those who don't like it just aren't good/smart/hip/cool enough to "get it". maybe i have heard more than enough of it to know i really just don't like it.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Wed May 03, 2006 3:53 pm

so sorry wrote:this is the most ALF thread EVAR!

you pretty much nailed it, So Sorry.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby unikrunk on Wed May 03, 2006 3:57 pm

Peven wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:
unikrunk wrote:

/anything emo too.

actually, i have seen more opera than i care to, growing up in a house with a father who enjoys it and tuned into PBS all the time to watch, and NO, i don't think the genre or people who are involved in it are as stuck on themselves and look down on others the way the punk collective do. sure, there are divas, but there are also artists who participate in community projects in trying to bring music to the underprivaliged, or donating their time, effort, and money to struggling small theatres in support of the arts. in fact, i had a professor back in college who taight music theory that at one time was an opera singer in NYC in some major productions, and while he obviously loved his craft, he wanted to spread that love and appreciation of music more than act superior for being part of it, or look down his nose at those who weren't.

Pevens, who runs the 'Food not Bombs' program in your town (assuming there is one), or plays benefit shows for the community and underprivileged.

I can obviously not speak for you, but in my town, the punks are the most politically active and socially conscious people, and are caring and non judgmental to boot.

By no means am I trying to influence your taste in music, I am just saying that I have not encountered the kind of punks you are speaking of (at least if they are older than 25)

/edit - Personally, I don't really get or understand the draw of Avril Levin/Brittney/any top 40 radio stuff.

I only understand Black Sabbath, really.
Last edited by unikrunk on Wed May 03, 2006 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Wed May 03, 2006 3:59 pm

Damn, So Sorry, your cat is really wired.
Valium would have helped that bash....
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby unikrunk on Wed May 03, 2006 4:02 pm

The Vicar wrote:

Damn, So Sorry, your cat is really wired.

I know, Sorry's pussy is freaking the fuck out! You should get that looked at man.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Wed May 03, 2006 4:05 pm

DJ Meth Cat says let the thread continue

So Sorry be damned, just kidding :wink:
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Peven on Wed May 03, 2006 4:10 pm

unikrunk wrote:
Peven wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:
unikrunk wrote:

/anything emo too.

Pevens, who runs the 'Food not Bombs' program in your town (assuming there is one), or plays benefit shows for the community and underprivileged.

I can obviously not speak for you, but in my town, the punks are the most politically active and socially conscious people, and are caring and non judgmental to boot.

By no means am I trying to influence your taste in music, I am just saying that I have not encountered the kind of punks you are speaking of (at least if they are older than 25)

/edit - Personally, I don't really get or understand the draw of Avril Levin/Brittney/any top 40 radio stuff.

I only understand Black Sabbath, really.

i guess i have just had the bad luck of coming across the arrogant segment of the punk crowd in my lifetime. the people i have known over the years who are into punk have never been content to just say, "i like this kind of music, it may not be for everyone, thats cool, whatever turns you on", but rather, "other genres of music are just lame, shallow, mainstream crap. punk is the one true way and people who don't like it are dweebs" kind of attitude. but i still stand by what i said about Marilyn Manson. :P :lol:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby unikrunk on Wed May 03, 2006 4:12 pm

Pevens, that truly sucks man. I guess there are dicks everywhere, you know. I totally see where you are coming from, and was not trying to influence or come down on you.

edit: Marilyn Manson is ridiculous, as are the hot-topic goons that worship 'it'.

That fucking retard thinks he is Ziggy Stardust wrapped up in Alice Cooper, and dipped in liquid scary.
Last edited by unikrunk on Wed May 03, 2006 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Wed May 03, 2006 4:12 pm

unikrunk wrote:Damn, So Sorry, your cat is really wired.

I know, Sorry's pussy is freaking the fuck out! You should get that looked at man.[/quote]

no way man!
Nothing wrong with this p@ssy.

Say 'ello to my lil friend!Image
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Wed May 03, 2006 4:14 pm

no problem, unikrunk, i know i started out pretty harsh, and was pretty much asking for a harsh reaction.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby The Vicar on Wed May 03, 2006 4:14 pm

Vegeta wrote:DJ Meth Cat says let the thread continue

What is up with these cats?
Crazed shit, man.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Vegeta on Wed May 03, 2006 4:16 pm

The Vicar wrote:
Vegeta wrote:DJ Meth Cat says let the thread continue

What is up with these cats?
Crazed shit, man.

Makes me think we should do a "Cats on Crack" thread! :D
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed May 03, 2006 4:17 pm

oh, c'mon, there are a couple even further on the back of the small bus!

so sorry wrote:This will never be more than a "my tastes are better than yours" discussion...

true. but a lot of threads are like that. it's just with music being more subjective than a lot of other arts (imho), well, yeah, that's what this thread has come down to.

so sorry wrote:Image

raise you a sniper kitten!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Wed May 03, 2006 4:24 pm

I'm with Peven. I don't like punk and I don't really understand how it lasted so long.

Punk, to me, started out as a reaction against prog rock. Prog was deliberately complex music, difficult to play, and prog musicians pretty much had to be virtuosos. I am a prog fan and I respect prog musicians. Sometimes they got carried away and turned out pompous dreck ("Tales From Topographic Oceans"), but for the most part they were honestly trying to excel at what they did.

Punk seemed to me like a slap in the face to all that. It was a political statement by musicians of minimal skill. People who can't play and can't sing making deliberately ugly noise. That is valid as a political statement, but it sure gets old fast. OK, guys, you made your point in, like, 1979! Shut up already!

I like good music played/sung by good musicians.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby St. Alphonzo on Wed May 03, 2006 4:31 pm

My Sniper Kitty can beat up your Sniper Kitty.

ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby unikrunk on Wed May 03, 2006 4:35 pm

My Bansai Kitty trumps all!
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed May 03, 2006 4:38 pm

*cough*

All kittens with guns and discussions on the merits of punk go in this thread!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Wed May 03, 2006 4:57 pm

How dare you split off this thread!

Eat hot lead!!!!

ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Brocktune on Wed May 03, 2006 5:06 pm

Peven wrote:punk, collectively. from Sex Pistols to the Ramones, to...to whoever you want to name. talk about pretentious. i don't think there is a music style/form/genre that is more steeped in pretention, whether its the people making it, or listening to it.

unikrunk wrote:I can think of a couple of forms of music with more pretentious people, for example, any symphony in the world and Death Cab for Pukey.

*sigh*
i hate having to over use words like "asinine", especially twice in the same day, but if the shoe fits....
and how about those blacks, man i have never met any race of people that loves watermelon more.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Wed May 03, 2006 5:07 pm

Brocktune wrote:
Peven wrote:punk, collectively. from Sex Pistols to the Ramones, to...to whoever you want to name. talk about pretentious. i don't think there is a music style/form/genre that is more steeped in pretention, whether its the people making it, or listening to it.

unikrunk wrote:I can think of a couple of forms of music with more pretentious people, for example, any symphony in the world and Death Cab for Pukey.

*sigh*
i hate having to over use words like "asinine", especially twice in the same day, but if the shoe fits....
and how about those blacks, man i have never met any race of people that loves watermelon more.

thanks Brock! Hey, isn't it time for your shut-the-fuck-up break?

:D
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Wed May 03, 2006 5:12 pm

most people feel im consistantly overdue for one of those.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Wed May 03, 2006 5:12 pm

Brocktune wrote:

*sigh*

Good to see another person with abrain Brocktune, now if you'lll just give me the number of the anal sex girl we can be friends :twisted: :lol:
TonyWilson

Postby unikrunk on Wed May 03, 2006 5:14 pm

me too.
/post order make unikrunk confused and scared.
Last edited by unikrunk on Wed May 03, 2006 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Wed May 03, 2006 5:17 pm

TonyWilson wrote:now if you'lll just give me the number of the anal sex girl we can be friends :twisted: :lol:

LOL!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Iconoclastica on Wed May 03, 2006 5:31 pm

I'm on the same page as unikrunk . . .

I was a punk in high school . . . the music, the look, the philosophies, etc. Honestly, none of us ever looked down on people who didn't "get it", we just didn't try to make them get it . . . no big deal. If they wanted to know more, they were welcome to ask, as it is with most cases of unfamiliar territory (I mean, how hard is it to discover the nature and basis behind something like gangster rap or new age techno, even if you're outside of the target demographic?). I think what Peven is referring to is a quality that is in no way unique to punk culture . . . you have pretentious assholes in every walk of life. I'm sorry that you happened to encounter punk ones, but honestly, you have to realize that there's a vast difference between pretention, and the mere attitude associated with a particular subculture.

On the note of attitude, to be honest, I think you're being naive. The ideals of punk were essentially nihilistic. Why, then, would you expect every punk to open their arms and welcome every person who tells them that their music sucks? . . . or every rich kid who buys one punk album, knows nothing about the principles of the movement, and suddenly adopts a poser disposition, "because it's cool"? Just like any major musical movement outside of the general pop realm (Vietnam-era folk rock, jazz, blue grass, jam bands), if you refused to understand the reasons for it (either due to self-inflicted ignorance or simple disagreement), and/or you didn't like the music to begin with, you weren't going to be accepted by its culture.

Everyone has the right to their own opinions . . . The moral of the story is, don't assume pretention until you step into the shoes of the person you're condemning, because it's likely that they see that same quality in you.

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby TheBaxter on Wed May 03, 2006 5:57 pm

i think dave matthews is crap

I DARE YOU TO DEFY ME!!!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Iconoclastica on Wed May 03, 2006 6:10 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i think dave matthews is crap

I DARE YOU TO DEFY ME!!!

I dare you to say that to any college stoner . . .

they might glare at you! :shock:

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed May 03, 2006 7:10 pm

Iconoclastica wrote:I was a punk in high school . . . the music, the look, the philosophies, etc. Honestly, none of us ever looked down on people who didn't "get it", we just didn't try to make them get it . . . no big deal. If they wanted to know more, they were welcome to ask, as it is with most cases of unfamiliar territory (I mean, how hard is it to discover the nature and basis behind something like gangster rap or new age techno, even if you're outside of the target demographic?). I think what Peven is referring to is a quality that is in no way unique to punk culture . . . you have pretentious assholes in every walk of life. I'm sorry that you happened to encounter punk ones, but honestly, you have to realize that there's a vast difference between pretention, and the mere attitude associated with a particular subculture.

On the note of attitude, to be honest, I think you're being naive. The ideals of punk were essentially nihilistic. Why, then, would you expect every punk to open their arms and welcome every person who tells them that their music sucks? . . . or every rich kid who buys one punk album, knows nothing about the principles of the movement, and suddenly adopts a poser disposition, "because it's cool"? Just like any major musical movement outside of the general pop realm (Vietnam-era folk rock, jazz, blue grass, jam bands), if you refused to understand the reasons for it (either due to self-inflicted ignorance or simple disagreement), and/or you didn't like the music to begin with, you weren't going to be accepted by its culture.

Everyone has the right to their own opinions . . . The moral of the story is, don't assume pretention until you step into the shoes of the person you're condemning, because it's likely that they see that same quality in you.

(one of the) Best. Posts. EVAR!!!

will you marry me :) :?:
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Wed May 03, 2006 7:28 pm

the only real kittens and the only real music comes from one set of kittens......

The Atomic Kittens
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed May 03, 2006 7:30 pm

I miss Milli Vanilli. Who's with me?!

Ok, sorry, there was just too much seriousness in this thread for me...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby DennisMM on Wed May 03, 2006 7:42 pm

I was listening to punk in fucking 1978. Yeah, I lived in a cracker New Mexico town, but I saw the Sex Pistols on Tom Snyder and Patti Smith, Elvis Costello and Fear on Saturday Night Live. I read about punk in Rolling Stone when RS meant something. By 1980 I was in a town with a university and heard punk on radio. Perspective, people.

Punk was a reaction not only to prog but to acts like Rod Stewart, who had started out showing his chops as a writer and singer and in less than ten years had become sadly predictable. It appealed to the disenfranchised in a way early rock did, by kicking the establishment in the nuts and not caring whether the music sounded like the popular material of the day. Prog could not have the same appeal to these people, because prog was about polish, not the sort of overpowering emotion punks wanted to express.

Some punk did and does suck. Some of it is great. Some of it is dull. Some punk performers are great, some suck, some of them are just ordinary people who like to play that kind of music.

"Punk" is not a philosophy for every punk fan. Not all two-toners really dug the ska idea beyond the clothes and the music. In a music scene where there can be ska-punk and glam-punk, I'm not sure the labels mean as much as they once did, and I believe they shouldn't be applied or interpreted in a tight-assed manner.

Rock and roll is here to stay. It will never die. It was meant to be that way, though I don't know why. I don't care what people say, rock and roll is here to stay. -- Danny & the Juniors, 1958
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Iconoclastica on Wed May 03, 2006 7:43 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:(one of the) Best. Posts. EVAR!!!

Only if gaffney and kirk can live in the basement :wink:

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Carolian on Wed May 03, 2006 7:45 pm

Yeah, I'll second everyone who's said that there's pretension in all musical genres, and that punk is not exempt from this.

One thing, though:

minstrel wrote:I'm with Peven. I don't like punk and I don't really understand how it lasted so long.

Punk, to me, started out as a reaction against prog rock. Prog was deliberately complex music, difficult to play, and prog musicians pretty much had to be virtuosos. I am a prog fan and I respect prog musicians. Sometimes they got carried away and turned out pompous dreck ("Tales From Topographic Oceans"), but for the most part they were honestly trying to excel at what they did.

Punk seemed to me like a slap in the face to all that. It was a political statement by musicians of minimal skill. People who can't play and can't sing making deliberately ugly noise. That is valid as a political statement, but it sure gets old fast. OK, guys, you made your point in, like, 1979! Shut up already!

I like good music played/sung by good musicians.

Duuuuude.

First of all, I could say the same thing: prog bands made their point long, long ago--King Crimson formed in the '60s, right?--and that everything since has been pointless, masturbatory noodling and soloing by a bunch of assholes writing pompous dreck to satisfy their own overblown egos, and that their horribly narrow-minded, arrogant views on what constitutes "musical talent" have created, in many, a fascistic mindset toward any song that is less than nine minutes long, with fewer than thirteen references to literature in the lyrics.

And c'mon, ever heard Bad Religion, Social Distortion, or Bad Brains? Their singers have incredible voices--far from the angry screeching you seem to be talking about. It's a genre, man, but a loose one--not every band fits your definition of punk rock.

As for the talent level, pffft. Greg Ginn and Steve Albini alone were more original--and did more interesting things--with a guitar than a milion endlessly-noodling soloheads or self-consciously complex King Crimson devotees. "Talent" is subjective; anyone who thinks all punk rock is mindless shouting and easily-played music is simply wrong. Just plain wrong. Saying that punk musicians weren't "trying to excel" at their craft is, in my opinion, missing the point, as well as being untrue. Since when is the goal of music to be complex? I thought that it was about heart, about meaning! I'm not saying that there's no heart in prog, either, but that's what punk rock has in spades--heart. It's direct music, for the heart, not the head. Ian Curtis, the singer of Joy Division, didn't have a traditionally "good" voice, but he expressed his despair perfectly. It worked.

To me--and this is all my opinion, of course--no prog song has ever inspired me like Black Flag's "Rise Above" or "House of Suffering" by Bad Brains or "In My Eyes" by Minor Threat. I like my music by good musicians and good singers, too. People like Ian Mackaye, Glenn Danzig, Greg Ginn, Henry Rollins, Keith Morris, H.R., Dr. Know, Brett Gurewitz, Steve Albini, John Lydon, Bob Mould, Joe Strummer, Mike Ness, and Greg Graffin.

Here's some "ugly noise" you might want to listen to: Bad Religion, Social Distortion, Agent Orange, the Big Boys, Fugazi, and Bad Brains. Melodic, beautiful, and heartfelt; that's quite the political statement. No wonder it's lasted so long.
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby St. Alphonzo on Wed May 03, 2006 7:56 pm

Carolian wrote: I thought that it was about heart, about meaning!

Thank you Carolian!

It doesn't much matter to me whether the guitarist only knows three chords, or what genre the song is in (or what era for that matter). If the emotion comes through, be it joy, rage, sorrow, pain, lust, whatever... if you really mean it, I'm sold.

No style of music has cornered the market on heart.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed May 03, 2006 7:56 pm

Iconoclastica wrote:

by "live", I'll just assume you mean fed fishheads, chained up and left to defecate in the corner, no?

but I dunno, both Dennis and Carolian seem to be angling for some of keepcool's shorn, sweet lovin'.

Great posts, thanks for saying what I was thinking but couldn't quite express.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Iconoclastica on Wed May 03, 2006 8:09 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:No style of music has cornered the market on heart.

I dunno man . . . some might argue that jazz/blues sorta epitomizes that :wink:

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Iconoclastica wrote:

by "live", I'll just assume you mean fed fishheads, chained up and left to defecate in the corner, no?

but I dunno, both Dennis and Carolian seem to be angling for some of keepcool's shorn, sweet lovin'.

Hey everybody! Kinky orgy in KCBC and Iconny's basement!!!!

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Carolian on Wed May 03, 2006 9:17 pm

Kinky orgy, eh? I bet the conversation will be pretty awesome!

Wait, I think I missed the point of a kinky orgy... It isn't conversation, is it? Dammit! So STUPID!
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby DennisMM on Wed May 03, 2006 10:20 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Iconoclastica wrote:

Great posts, thanks for saying what I was thinking but couldn't quite express.

The mentally ill: serving your overblown expression needs since 1982.

I get the fish heads before Carolian can suck out the eyes.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Next

Return to Music