Muse - Black Holes And Revelations

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Muse - Black Holes And Revelations

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Thu May 04, 2006 1:43 am

That's the title of the fourth Muse album, due July 3rd. The first single is out May 8, I think, and is entitled "Supermassive Black Hole".

The FINAL tracklisting is:

01. Take A Bow
02. Starlight
03. Supermassive Black Hole
04. Map Of The Problematique
05. A Soldier's Poem
06. Invincible
07. Assassin
08. Exo Politics
09. City Of Delusion
10. Hoodoo
11. Knights Of Cydonia

Allegedly the album is totally different from anything Muse have done before, with influences such as mariachi guitar, the Doctor Who theme, 50s instrumental music, funk, disco, jazz, metal, gothic, and synthy apocalyptic rock. It'll be a political album, as is fairly obvious in the song titles.

I can't wait.
Last edited by Tubbs Tattsyrup on Sat May 13, 2006 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby sleepflower on Thu May 04, 2006 2:46 am

Going to be amazing, seeing them at Leeds festival, headlining.

Only annoyance is Raconteurs clash so I miss them.

Never been a HUGE muse fan of the albums. But singles and live they just are massive.
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby Logan5 on Fri May 05, 2006 12:18 pm

Nice. I'm very insterested in this album, Matthew Bellamy and co are great musicians. Love to hear what they can do with all those styles mixed together.
But I still hold the first album as their best. It's the most intimate and soulfull album, it feels more close to heart. It's not so goddamn political.
Well, maybe that's just me.
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Sun May 07, 2006 7:44 am

Logan5 wrote:But I still hold the first album as their best. It's the most intimate and soulfull album, it feels more close to heart. It's not so goddamn political.

I get where you're coming from - it's a very obsessive album lyrically, which appeals to me a lot. Musically I think their best is Origin of Symmetry. And, in fact, I think their best overall is OOS too. And it's not political either.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Logan5 on Sun May 07, 2006 8:17 am

Tubbs Tattsyrup wrote:
Logan5 wrote:But I still hold the first album as their best. It's the most intimate and soulfull album, it feels more close to heart. It's not so goddamn political.

I get where you're coming from - it's a very obsessive album lyrically, which appeals to me a lot. Musically I think their best is Origin of Symmetry. And, in fact, I think their best overall is OOS too. And it's not political either.

The few friends that I have "persuaded" into listening to Muse (I live in Sweden and they're not very huge here, people only listen to goddamned james blunt and pop artist of the week) also hold OOS as their favorite album.
And yes, it is probably the best album musically, and my god New Born is such a great song. Almost creamed in my pants when I heard it in Haute Tension a year or so ago.

Showbiz really is very emotional, and that's what gets me going (Sure beats all those crappy emo groups popping up everywhere...) and it was Unintended that got me into Muse.
But maybe I just love Showbiz because it was the first Muse album I bought.
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby MiltonWaddams on Sun May 07, 2006 12:29 pm

YAY NEW MUSE ALBUM.

That's all I bring to this.
Urer yvrf Z.J.
Xvyyrq ol ungr naq vafvqr wbxrf.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Mon May 08, 2006 1:34 am

OK, I've heard "Supermassive Black Hole" and well, it's totally unlike anything Muse have put out so far. It reminds me of Prince, actually. It's got a kick-ass guitar/bass riff, falsetto vocals...it's kind of dancey, got chorused vocals.

It's good though. Very different but I mean, I expect every song on the new album to sound unique in a way. They've said they're going to have trouble playing some of these songs live...
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby sleepflower on Sat May 13, 2006 1:40 pm

Tubbs Tattsyrup wrote:OK, I've heard "Supermassive Black Hole" and well, it's totally unlike anything Muse have put out so far. It reminds me of Prince, actually. It's got a kick-ass guitar/bass riff, falsetto vocals...it's kind of dancey, got chorused vocals.

It's good though. Very different but I mean, I expect every song on the new album to sound unique in a way. They've said they're going to have trouble playing some of these songs live...

Heard it for the first time, you are dead on with the prince comparison. I found it catchy in an odd way and really fun. They played two other Muse songs either sidee of it on the radion which gave for good comparison. It's certainly not and rifftastic in the bass department or as stomping a festival hit as other tracks. Then again, I thought that about stockholm syndrome.
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Sat May 13, 2006 4:49 pm

OK, yeah. Muse just played a couple new songs live at the Radio 1 Big Weekend. You can download these live versions of Supermassive Black Hole and Knights of Cydonia at muse-download.com. Supposedly they also played Starlight but that wasn't broadcast, so isn't available.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby sleepflower on Sun May 14, 2006 1:03 pm

Cheers for the link, though I don't seem to be able to get the d/loads to work?

:(

Know of any other way of getting them?
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Wed May 17, 2006 9:08 am

Register at http://invictus.softmeg.com/ and prowl around their forums to find them. Actually, register there anyway - they have a fucking huge library of Muse concerts and rarities including the String Quartet Tribute to Muse.

Also, a review from some British paper/magazine/media outlet of some kind:

Some British paper/magazine/media outlet of some kind wrote:The fact we're wearing some ludicrously expensive headphones in an overly posh London restaurant means little. It's 'Black Holes And Revelations' unveiling, and you could cut the tension with a knife (or at least a few of the numerous cocktails and bottles of wine littering the place - slightly sozzled Ed). First listen time? You bet.

'Take A Bow'
Muse aren't starting things with a bang, or even a steady march. Instead they've plugged into an old Spectrum ZX and have gone retro computer-pop. Things all go a bit Queen, the entire universe seems to explode, and the lyrics get broody. "You'll burn in hell for your sins", apparently. Bloody hell!

'Starlight'
Funked up with handclaps, you'd be forgiven for choking on your digestive when we tell you that 'Starlight's hook line reminds us a bit of Coldplay. It's certainly not MOR, however; guitars come in, the wiggly beeps of 'Origin Of Symmetry' make a welcome return. It's bleedin' massive.

'Supermassive Black Hole'
Is this Millionaire? Muse turn space funk in their lead single. Already tearing up the airwaves, it sounds even more like the pure pop genius it undoubtedly is within the confines of the album. Hardcore fans scared off by the single take note: it'll all make sense when you hear it in context.

'Map Of The Problematique'
DIY is at war. Half of us think 'Map Of The Problematique' should be the new theme music to The Bill, the other half thinks it's The Clothes Show. Electro bass mixes with piano, layered harmonies and something close to Eurotrance to make something that, on first listen, is either madness or genius. The last ten seconds, however, could well be the best thing Muse have ever done. Honestly.

'Soldier's Poem'
The first quiet one proper, Matt goes crooner. Stripped down to some Twenties/Thirties style vibe, complete with ultrasonic, unnerving backing vocals, 'Soldier's Poem' probably wears a smoking jacket and scares small children at night. Genuinely haunting.

'Invincible'
If we said Bellamy had written a song based upon the last ten minutes of Robin Hood, Prince Of Thieves, you'd tell us we've gone mad. Our first thought? Will there be bagpipes. Seriously. There aren't, but we wouldn't have been surprised. An ethereal march and the odd floaty harmony sound like the myst clearing at the end of the battle that ends the world. We're talking epic here. There's chunky bits, lyrics that could be a paranoid Westlife if we didn't know better ("Together we're invincible"), and a bass line that sounds like 'Time Is Running Out' on a sugar rush at times. The fact it actually works is more remarkable than the lot.

'Assassin'
Knight Rider. It sounds like bloody Knight Rider, or at least for the first ten seconds. Then it all goes metal; massive riffs, harmonies that sound like Queen and a whole chorus of vocals combine to sound like Metallica going to the opera.

'Exo-Politics'
Remember the Franz Ferdinand comments? We'd assume this is what they're on about. Funked up, fuzzed out guitars pull out one of those arch art-rock riffs that have Kapranos all over them, albeit if he was covering 'On A Rope'. If it wasn't for the rubbish title, we'd say this was a nailed on single, but then it's not like that will stop Muse.

'City Of Delusion'
Spanish guitars make their first appearence, turn electric, are joined by an orchestra of strings and go post apocalyptic. The last flamenco at the end of time? Quite possibly.

'Hoodoo'
Certainly this album's 'Unintended', genetically spliced into a Mexican western, it's Zorro without any of the doughnuts. Crashing down by the end, it's understated, but really bloody good.

'Knights Of Cydonia'
At one point, Knights Of Cydonia reminds DIY of Erasure. Not for long mind, as monk like chanting and a falsetto that could deafen a dog at the other end of the earth kick in. Backed by a brass section and what sounds like a whole choir of battery opperated Clangers, it's the first ever space western. A shootout at high noon between R2D2 and the Milkybar Kid, before the end it all cuts out and Muse go more Queen than ever before. An AC/DC sized riff arrives and the world promptly ends. Blimey!

'Black Holes And Revelations' is certainly an album, rather than a collection of songs. On the first listen it sounds impressive, but it'll take more than one to work out exactly how good it is. The biggest thing Muse have done to date, they're hiding from nobody. The signs look more than promising.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Logan5 on Wed May 17, 2006 10:20 am

I was very disappointed by Supermassive Black Hole, but after reading that "review" of the album my interest has peaked again.

Really looking forward to this album now.
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby sleepflower on Wed May 17, 2006 11:09 am

I personally am really enjoying supermassive blackhole, cannot wait for it live.

Cheers for the review, it sounds different, though also hopefully Muses most full album. I have never been a huge fan of the albums as a whole in the past, just didn't always seem to flow.

It's testament that my fave album was the live one so far!
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Fri May 19, 2006 7:26 am

Supermassive Black Hole EP on iTunes. Featuring live versions of Knights of Cydonia and A Crying Shame (the latter of which is not on the album).

Knights of Cydonia is awesome. I just want to reiterate that. Or if it hasn't already been iterated, to iterate it.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby doglips on Fri May 19, 2006 7:44 am

Here's a review from a source you might not have expected.......
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Fri May 19, 2006 8:46 am

thedoglippedone wrote:Here's a review from a source you might not have expected.......

I'm not entirely sure that's a review. It sounds like a couple of people I know, who talk about the most inane bullshit you can think of, as if it were the most interesting stuff in the world. eg: "I did get a Muse pencil (it was orange) but that must have fallen out of my bag somewhere on the way home." WTF? I mean, can they just review an album?

Not to mention that most reviews say there's only really a couple "disco"esque tunes. And that a commonly-used adjective for it is "apocalyptic".

However, I can see how fans of *any* genre (pop included) would always highlight the parts of an album (particularly this one, as it seems to encompass most genres of music) that fit into their favourite genre. For example, the mariachi/flamenco fans will talk about those bits. Ah well.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby doglips on Fri May 19, 2006 9:10 am

Tubbs Tattsyrup wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote:Here's a review from a source you might not have expected.......

I'm not entirely sure that's a review. It sounds like a couple of people I know, who talk about the most inane bullshit you can think of, as if it were the most interesting stuff in the world. eg: "I did get a Muse pencil (it was orange) but that must have fallen out of my bag somewhere on the way home." WTF? I mean, can they just review an album?

Not to mention that most reviews say there's only really a couple "disco"esque tunes. And that a commonly-used adjective for it is "apocalyptic".

However, I can see how fans of *any* genre (pop included) would always highlight the parts of an album (particularly this one, as it seems to encompass most genres of music) that fit into their favourite genre. For example, the mariachi/flamenco fans will talk about those bits. Ah well.

It's all tongue in cheek man, it's Popjustice!

But they have a canny ear, Supermassive Black Hole does sound similar to Britney's 'Do Somethin' :P
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Fri May 19, 2006 9:45 am

thedoglippedone wrote:
Tubbs Tattsyrup wrote:

It's all tongue in cheek man, it's Popjustice!

Eh. Not familiar with the site. I guess it's testament to how shallow the people I'm talking about are, that they talk like that seriously.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby The Wrong Guy on Sat May 20, 2006 3:04 am

Did not like Supermassive Black Hole. Not one bit.

Actually, I didn't mind the start. Right before Matt started his irritating screeching for the whole song. :?
The Wrong Guy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby sleepflower on Mon May 22, 2006 8:12 pm

The Wrong Guy wrote:Did not like Supermassive Black Hole. Not one bit.

Actually, I didn't mind the start. Right before Matt started his irritating screeching for the whole song. :?

Are you a muse fan in general though? As Matt does a lot of screeching.
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:27 pm

The album has leaked (in mono form) and yeah, it's pretty grand. Best tracks IMO are Map of the Problematique, Invincible, Exo Politics, Hoodoo and Knights of Cydonia.

Don't know how it compares to "Origin" though.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby The Wrong Guy on Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:06 pm

Are you a muse fan in general though? As Matt does a lot of screeching.

Oh, yeah. Love 'em to death.

Awesome band. Even disappointing Muse (which is not a lot), is better than a lot of other stuff nowadays, but that singing of Matt's was a new low. Or, high. Whatever. :wink:
The Wrong Guy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Logan5 on Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:03 am

Tubbs Tattsyrup wrote:Supermassive Black Hole EP on iTunes. Featuring live versions of Knights of Cydonia and A Crying Shame (the latter of which is not on the album).

Knights of Cydonia is awesome. I just want to reiterate that. Or if it hasn't already been iterated, to iterate it.

*sighs*
It's not available outside of the UK. I'll just have to listen to my crappy Radio 1 recording instead.

This album is really growing on me. I didn't like Super Massive Black Hole at first, much because I wanted Muse to do an album like Showbiz, but after hearing the song a couple of times, seeing the cool video on MTV, and enjoying the hell out of both Knights of Cydonia and Starlight I am really, really looking forward to this album.
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby The Wrong Guy on Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:45 am

My reaction to Knights of Cydonia: Holy Mother of God! :shock:

Awesome stuff. :D
The Wrong Guy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:58 am

I've never been a Muse fan, I liked Muscle Museum but wasn't bothered by anything from Origin. I loved Stockholm Syndrome and they are superb to see live.

But this album is outstanding. IMO they have finally got the grooves/rhythms and riffs that match the glorious yet ridiculous theatrical pomp they have.
Just stunning a big technicolour exuberant slice of fun.

Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby MiltonWaddams on Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:22 pm

I don't like it nearly as much as their older stuff. I can pinpoint why, it just doesn't 'do it' for me. I'm not a fan of music that I have to coax myself into liking. Oh well.
Urer yvrf Z.J.
Xvyyrq ol ungr naq vafvqr wbxrf.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON

Postby Logan5 on Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:26 am

This album is amazing. Starlight, Map of the Problematique, Exo-Politics, Assassin, City of Delusion, yeah all of the tracks are great. This is the album that Absolution wanted to be.
It's not as "angsty" as the first album (which was my favorite muse-album up til now), but instead it is more hopeful and it's like it's giving us a promise of a brighter future. In space.

I love this album.
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby The Wrong Guy on Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:14 pm

A disappointing album. At best, it's on par with Absolution, which was their weakest effort by far.

3 good songs does not a good album make. :?
The Wrong Guy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby sleepflower on Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:32 pm

I have only heard the first five tracks so far (gotta head to work now!) but I really like it. Not sure it flows from track to track that well though, but then again, what Muse album does?

Track 4 is the most recognisable as Muse, stunning piece which I really hope they do live.
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby The Wrong Guy on Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:38 am

I retract my statement. I made a mistake in my all-too-rash assessment.

It's a great, great album. Very great. 8)
The Wrong Guy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby sleepflower on Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:07 am

The Wrong Guy wrote:I retract my statement. I made a mistake in my all-too-rash assessment.

It's a great, great album. Very great. 8)

What was it about the album that caused such a turnaround in feeling?
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:04 pm

i've been listening to this and i like it a lot. i also liked absolution a whole lot. i think they are about equal for me, though i'll have to listen to this a few more times to really have a solid opinion.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Return to Music