Stadium Arcadium

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Stadium Arcadium

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu May 11, 2006 2:33 pm

After hearing the throwback track to when the Chili's weren't totally treading water in Dani California's funster single, I decided to take the plunge. Have only just started listening to it but so far, so good.

I liked quite a bit of Californication, but after that I found all the stuff I heard on By The Way to feel like a total rerun, as with Radiohead and their albums since Kid A. The problem was I found a lot of Californication lost their fun - something they combined with seriousness before in BSSM without bowing down to being dull - and then they nailed that feeling down in By The Way. Maybe I need to relisten to them, but they didn't get me excited... One Hot Minute, for all the criticism, had a bit more spark. But hey, this is probably just me.

Thankfully Stadium seems to have a bit more crazy fun mixed in with the more straight tracks and Flea seems to be having a whale of a time, plus Frusciante's more noodly. I hear it's been getting bad reviews. Kiedis' lyrics are pretty silly still, but I can live with it!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Thu May 11, 2006 2:43 pm

brabs wrote:It's a good album. Mega reviews for it here in the UK (just read 2 5* reviews one in Q mag one in Uncut) and it's keeping me occupied whilst i'm off work ill.

P.S. Hi everyone

I trust Uncut. Uncut is my friend. I guess I might have to pick it up if they like it... I'm pretty sure I've got By the Way kicking around somewhere, but it doesn't get as many plays as One Hot Minute, BSSM or that dodgy one they cut with George Clinton.

And oh yea, hi brabs!!! Tell us about yourself on this here little thread: Welcome New Zoners. We only wanna know the juicy gossip though- like whether you're still going out with Tracy or if you ditched her and she married your half-brother who you challenged to a duel but you couldn't find any authentic swords so you decided to put it off and---- You know, that kinda stuff.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby brabs on Thu May 11, 2006 2:46 pm

It's a good album. Mega reviews for it here in the UK (just read 2 5* reviews one in Q mag one in Uncut) and it's keeping me occupied whilst i'm off work ill.

P.S. Hi everyone
brabs
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby jgraphix on Thu May 11, 2006 2:55 pm

I've listened to the CD multiple times and it is pretty varied in style and sound...from jazzy slow, funky bass slappin, arena anthem and soft melodic tunes. It's a great CD that grows on you with each listen.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu May 11, 2006 2:58 pm

Hey Brabs!

It's actually far more varied than their last two, I'm digging it. Get betta, ok?
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby brabs on Thu May 11, 2006 3:10 pm

Thanks man I hope to be firing on all cylinders again very soon.

I saw the Chili Peppers about 2 years ago and they were su-perb.
This makes me want to see them again. NOW.[/quote]
brabs
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu May 11, 2006 3:31 pm

I noticed on cnn.com that EW gave the new album a "B+", for what it's worth, which to me isn't much, I very rarely agree with their reviews. The reviewer was pretty hot and cold on the album, the review is here:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/05/09/ew.mus.peppers/index.html
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby jgraphix on Thu May 11, 2006 3:34 pm

The Chili Peppers and The Mars Volta are going on tour this summer.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Thu May 11, 2006 4:04 pm

It's better than the last album, which I didn't really like at all. However, apart from the first couple of days when I got it, I haven't really been bothered to listen to it much again.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Thu May 11, 2006 4:35 pm

Get 'em back on the horse and riding the funk train.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Nordling on Thu May 11, 2006 4:40 pm

I'm totally loving this and putting it next to FREAKY STYLEY as one of their best albums.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu May 11, 2006 4:41 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Get 'em back on the horse and riding the funk train.

They are, fella. About fucking time too.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Thu May 11, 2006 4:43 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:

The funk is back? Okay I was kidding about the heroin, but I really want the crazy funk back, if they have done it on this album then, wahoo! I might have to pick this up.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu May 11, 2006 4:48 pm

TonyWilson wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:

The funk is back? Okay I was kidding about the heroin, but I really want the crazy funk back, if they have done it on this album then, wahoo! I might have to pick this up.

I hear the tender sound of slap bass.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Alex DeLarge on Thu May 11, 2006 4:49 pm

jgraphix wrote:The Chili Peppers and The Mars Volta are going on tour this summer.

That just made my day. The Mars Volta are amazing, I've been trying to see them for a while now and it owuld be even cooler to see them with the RHCP.
I heard Red Hot Chili Peppers are going on tour with Kanye West though.
Alex DeLarge
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby TonyWilson on Thu May 11, 2006 4:49 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:

I hear the tender sound of slap bass.

:shock: :shock:
Oh Saaaaweeeeeeet :D :D :D
TonyWilson

Postby DrillerKiller on Thu May 11, 2006 7:02 pm

Is it just me or did they get too complacent after One Hot Minute? I liked them when they had balls and bled the funk. They'll never top Mother's Milk in my eyes.

I never really bring much to these discussions bar something concise or vague, but I had to chime in seeing as you're the first people I've heard giving it any dues.
Wellycome....in jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri May 12, 2006 5:03 am

I think a lot of the critic's are getting their panties in a bunch at their return to the original form that made them famous. TBH as much as I liked Californication, it was something of a disappointment to me and didn't feel like a RHCP album. It all got a bit MOR.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Mon May 15, 2006 7:46 am

DAMN.

I love this album. Its the only thing that's really helping me to finish this damn essay and leave Uni.

Dani California/Animal Bar are my stand-outs!
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Return to Music