Suggestions/Queries/Advice

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Suggestions/Queries/Advice

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri May 12, 2006 6:40 pm

So I've asked this to Tony "Postmodern" Wilson in a PM but I'll put it out for all to respond...

Should we continue the current trend of starting new threads for new albums, or should we just continue posting whatever thoughts/reviews we have of new releases in Best New Music 2006?

Now, I guess it depends on the popularity / album sales of the band in question (RHCP / Tool deserve their own threads), the passion of your love for said band (Peeping Tom deserves it's own thread due to Brocktune's huge man love for all things Patton)...but do ya'll think it's wise for people like Tony Wilson and myself to start threads for obscure indie acts? Am I thinking WAY too much about this? Does it matter?

I've got a bag full of thoughts on a bunch of recent releases, but I LOATHE starting a thread that gets no hits (I've got issues :oops:). Should I group them all together in Best New Music, separate them in Best New Music, or just start new threads for each?

After answering (or most likely ignoring) this question, please feel free to use this thread to help me run a better forum (I need the help!).

Suggestions, questions, comments, snark, advice (and I'll preempt the inevitable from Dino... no, I will not be killing myself, thank you very much!) criticism (I can take it Ribbons!).

I've been loving the music forum lately, thanks for all who participate and take part. I know I've expanded my musical horizons based on several of your suggestions...and I really can't give a finer compliment than that, ye daft gentlemen!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Fri May 12, 2006 6:44 pm

How's about you gather them all together in an all-encompassing thread entitled Keep Cool But Care's private wank room? :wink:

I think, like you said, it depends on who you're talking about... And it's also about how you present the thread: we need pictures, shticks (female drummers/bassists and the like) and talking points.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Brocktune on Fri May 12, 2006 6:54 pm

i say start a new thread for any fuckin band, or any fuckin album you want. simply because the band you like is lesser known than others, does not mean that they are any less deserving of their own thread. in fact, i would rather see more threads for lesser known bands than threads for the more well known stuff. these threads should be to educate people on new music that they havent heard yet.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Fri May 12, 2006 7:03 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:I'm with Brocktune sniffing coke in the club toilets on this one.

mmmmmm. my teeth are numb.

ETA: this is the gnarliest post jump yet.

NOTE TO READERS: this post should be read following Tony Wilson's first post in this thread.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Fri May 12, 2006 7:05 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:I'm still waiting for Sepp's Springsteen, Queen and Clapton appreciation threads.

I'll tell ya what Alphonzo, I'll make those threads the same time you come out with your "The Gallagher Brothers Saved my Life" thread. :P
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri May 12, 2006 7:05 pm

I'm with Brocktune sniffing coke in the club toilets on this one. MAy as well not have a forum the other way, or a thread devoted to new movies.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Fri May 12, 2006 7:06 pm

I too would rather see individual threads for different releases, I hate wading through giant shitfuck threads for info on one record.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri May 12, 2006 7:06 pm

Well, since it's really only the music threads that keep me posting at all... I say the more the merrier!

I'm still waiting for Sepp's Springsteen, Queen and Clapton appreciation threads.

I echo Brock and KCBC... I've picked up on a lot of stuff I'd never have heard otherwise because of this forum. Keep it up!
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby TonyWilson on Fri May 12, 2006 7:09 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:I think, like you said, it depends on who you're talking about... And it's also about how you present the thread: we need pictures, shticks (female drummers/bassists and the like) and talking points.

I don't know....that sounds like an awful lot a work ,Sepp.

I'll say what I was going to PM to Keepcool anyway.
Probably better to put the more obscure stuff in the Best New Music 2006thread, the only time I have a problem with that is, what about music that's new to you and you want to talk about but is from an old now defunct band or it's an album you heard this year but was released a few years back.
I know when I find a new band I love I like to shout it from the rooftops and a new thread seems the way to do that, but I do understand that with the less well known stuff the thread just kind gets left with 1 or 2 comments. Realistically it's probably better just to either wack it in new music or create a thread that talks about 3 or 4 bands you want to tell people about.

EDIT: Well I could not be mre out of step. I shoulda just PM'd it.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri May 12, 2006 7:13 pm

Brocktune wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:I'm with Brocktune sniffing coke in the club toilets on this one.

mmmmmm. my teeth are numb.

My nose has billowed out.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri May 12, 2006 7:22 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:
St. Alphonzo wrote:I'm still waiting for Sepp's Springsteen, Queen and Clapton appreciation threads.

I'll tell ya what Alphonzo, I'll make those threads the same time you come out with your "The Gallagher Brothers Saved my Life" thread. :P

Wow! That's a 5-post jump! That may be a new record.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby doglips on Fri May 12, 2006 7:23 pm

Brocktune wrote:i say start a new thread for any fuckin band, or any fuckin album you want. simply because the band you like is lesser known than others, does not mean that they are any less deserving of their own thread. in fact, i would rather see more threads for lesser known bands than threads for the more well known stuff. these threads should be to educate people on new music that they havent heard yet.

Whoa! careful dude, These threads are going to bring forward a lot of new music. Are you sure you are going to be able to relate to it all Brock?, some of it will be quite unique. :!:
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby brabs on Fri May 12, 2006 8:31 pm

People should be able to post threads for bands, albums, music etc. old and new because some people can't be arsed wading through 7 or 8 pages of posts to find what they might be interested in.

Even if only one person reads that thread, gets enough to be interested in the band or album in the thread, and then goes out and gets the album or whatever, whether they like it or not at least they know about it. That's where the point should lie.

You never know, you might be responsible for someone's new favourite band.

That's what things like this should be about.
brabs
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri May 12, 2006 8:32 pm

coolness, thanks for the replies.

brabs wrote:Even if only one person reads that thread, gets enough to be interested in the band or album in the thread, and then goes out and gets the album or whatever, whether they like it or not at least they know about it. That's where the point should lie.

from the mouth of brabs...

(oh man, THAT was a weak joke!)
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby brabs on Fri May 12, 2006 8:48 pm

Why d'ya have to write so small fella? My eyes are awful, have mercy!
brabs
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Lurker Johnson on Fri May 12, 2006 8:50 pm

brabs wrote:Why d'ya have to write so small fella? My eyes are awful, have mercy!

Hey <b>brabs</b>, one thing I've learned is to copy and paste the small text into Wordpad or Notepad. It shows up real nice in there--no straining.

While you're at it. Wish Harry a Happy Engagement!
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri May 12, 2006 8:52 pm

brabs wrote:Why d'ya have to write so small fella? My eyes are awful, have mercy!

Image button helps.

(if you knew that already and you were merely being snarky...the brabs, the!)
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby brabs on Fri May 12, 2006 8:58 pm

Nice one man, worked a treat. You learn something new every day.
brabs
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby brabs on Fri May 12, 2006 9:05 pm

if you knew that already and you were merely being snarky...the brabs, the!)

No, seriously man, I'm utter shite with computers. Any help greatly apprieciated
brabs
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Brocktune on Sat May 13, 2006 4:37 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:
Brocktune wrote:i say start a new thread for any fuckin band, or any fuckin album you want. simply because the band you like is lesser known than others, does not mean that they are any less deserving of their own thread. in fact, i would rather see more threads for lesser known bands than threads for the more well known stuff. these threads should be to educate people on new music that they havent heard yet.

Whoa! careful dude, These threads are going to bring forward a lot of new music. Are you sure you are going to be able to relate to it all Brock?, some of it will be quite unique. :!:

hahahahaha

damnit. i realized what i had gotten myself into about 10 seconds after it was too late to delete my post. :wink:
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby darkjedijaina on Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:11 pm

not sure if the idea warrants a thread or not, but i was in the car today and a song came on the radio that i absolutely refuse to listen to, because it reminds me of my ex. do you all have songs like that? that you skip or turn the radio off for?
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby doglips on Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:22 pm

So are we having a top tens of the year thread or does that kind of talk go in the Zods thread?

I thought it might be fun to post your most listened from this year, all years and critical picks from 2007 top tens.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:30 pm

doglips wrote:So are we having a top tens of the year thread or does that kind of talk go in the Zods thread?

I thought it might be fun to post your most listened from this year, all years and critical picks from 2007 top tens.

well, i figured we'd just throw 'em all in with the Zods, but, really, I don't care either way.

if you want to kick off a 2k7 top-10, go right ahead...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

nice

Postby tony47ch on Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:02 am

nice to meet you all.
tony47ch
GLIB

Re: nice

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:04 am

tony47ch wrote:nice to meet you all.

Welcome, dude.
burlivesleftnut