All That TV Based Musicy Stuff (Title STILL To Let! )

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

All That TV Based Musicy Stuff (Title STILL To Let! )

Postby Flumm on Wed May 24, 2006 2:28 am

Seeing as there are more than a few of us here interested in that business people tend do when they get together and twang and hit things and wail and covort around and produce sounds and stuff.. I thought it would perhaps be interesting to have a place to hang out and talk about various music related things that we come across on the box. A place not quite catered for by the What Are You Watching Thread, Music Videos, or What are you Playing threads...

I'm thinking of your favourite music shows (good and bad), appearances by bands and artists, maybe how acts are bringing their stuff live to people compared to the record, something new that catches your eye/ears, interviews, news, intersting documentaries, concerts, stuff for fellow Zoner's to look out for... all that TV based musicy stuff.

I realise that seeing as we're doing this all through the medium of the television, that it should be in coaxial, but I have dutifully contacted and consulted with the powers that be, and unless we're amputating him below the knees, and putting the results on display in glass cases at teh door of the Music forum, he says he would welcome the traffic, and we're welcome to do what we like with the place...

...within reason.

And of course (he says trying to slap a coat of Antisink Futreproof on the thing), I thought it would come in handy for all the up and coming coverage of the summer festival season just kicking into gear...

So, to get things started...

...this actually springs out of conversations doglips and I have been having about a show called Later... With Jools Holland, which caters really well for for all those music shennanigans I was talking about. Essentially, Jules hosts an hour of live television in which a range of acts all perform, mixed with a little bit of chat and interviews with those concerned. It's one of the best fixes of it's kind around, and pretty essential viewing if you're interested in such things...

Last Fridays show had...

Franz Ferdinand
Dr John
Snow Patrol
(with guest Martha Wainwright)
Gnarls Barkley
James Morrison

Any other UK zoners manage to catch it?

It was a strong one, but I think the stars of the show were really Gnarles Barkley. Seeing as they're just starting to let people in on how they do live, I think there was a lot of tension and curiosity in the room about how they would translate, but they handled it really well. They had a broad, deep sound, that I'm sure could be felt in the gut of everyone in the audience and they generally really seemed to have the whole room in the palm of their hands... Cee-lo especailly is as natural frontman as your gonna find anywhere, and brings the goods too. The man can sing, no doubt about it. And dance. For a big studly fella, he's a great dancer. Looking back at it, I would say he's probably my second favourite dancing studly person...

Apart from that, Dr John, God bless his brightly coloured, expensively coutured cotton socks, vaguely drawled his way through a couple of numbers, as expected, looking a little less composed than his usuall magnificent self, I think, but the music at least seemed to come to life when him and Jules sat at the pianos and weaved and tussled their way through a really great bluesy number...

Mmm, I suppose I should say something about Franz Ferdinand at this point. I actually heard Neil Tennant from the Pet Shop Boys mention on another show this week, talking about what motivates musicians, that he thought that FF were apparently not cool anymore, when they were a year ago... however true that might be, I think they did pretty good. I can take or leave Alex Kapronos' attempts to be mysterious and interesting via various jauntily legged power stances, pointing at things and misguided eye brow spasms, but if nothing else, they are a really tight band. They know what they do, and they do it better than most. For thier final number "The Fallen", they had a series of guest drumers come in and increase the torque of the song, and the volume too it looked like, winding up, and up.and... it really worked. Even Kapronos' wonky toothed smirk at me down the camera couldn't allow me deny that it worked.

I felt like I should know who some of those guest drummers were for some reason, if anyone else has a clue, feel free to chime in.

Oh, and just glancing at teh website, it seems coming this Friday are...

David Gilmour, The Streets, Elvis Costello & Allen Toussaint, and Paul Simon.

Anyways, I also caught an ASTOUNDING [i]Springsteen and the E Street Band[i] show from the 70's... but I'll leave it for now, I've rambled on for too long as it, and I don't feel like participating in a Sepp inspired sleep deprivation experiment at the minute.

:roll:

Feel free to comment on anything above and take this on any delightlfull random tangents you want, oh and a box of homemade (...homemade as in bought from the bottom of the "Going Going Gone: Out of Date Today, Must Consume!" baragain basket...) cookies to who ever can come up with a half decent title for this thing. ( :x ) I guess if they make it through the mail/customs, you can ply them with soft drugs and inject them in your eyeballs or what ever it is you crazey kids do.

Yeah, so anway, music, it's great. Now..

... go forth and mutli-reply!
Last edited by Flumm on Sat May 05, 2007 7:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Wed May 24, 2006 2:40 am

I guess this'll seem like the mono-syllabic gruntings of Vinnie Jones in the sack after reading Flumm's gargantuan intro, but so be it:

Bring back The Old Grey Whistle Test!

Here's a list of just some of the people who performed on that program:

Bob Marley
Talking Heads
John Lennon
The Ramones
Curtis Mayfield
Tim Buckley
Emmylou Harris
The Specials
R.E.M.
Tom Waits
Iggy Pop
Tom Petty
Captain Beefheart

Whew, I could go on, but I bought that DVD on a whim the other day (come on, I'm young enough for my blood to still move, you think I actually watched it when it was on??), and it's incredible.

As far as Jools Holland goes, I'm not sure if the eclectism always pays off. I mean I like a lot of different types of music, but that show can get a bit crazy: you need some kind of buffer between Norah Jones and Peaches, but no it just goes straight from one to the other. Then again, it's always worth a look-sie, because you just know that you'll like at least one of the people on.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Re: All That TV Based Musicy Stuff (Title To Let! )

Postby Seppuku on Wed May 24, 2006 2:46 am

Flumm wrote:Feel free to comment on anything above and take this on any delightlfull random tangents you want, oh and a box of homemade (...homemade as in bought from the bottom of the "Going Going Gone: Out of Date Today, Must Consume!" baragain basket...) cookies to who ever can come up with a half decent title for this thing.

How about Telemusic (instead of Television). OK, it's really late/early here and I can't even understand my own thoughts, so give me a break.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby doglips on Wed May 24, 2006 3:55 am

Franz Ferdinand are not my favourite band by any means, but damn they were tight on Friday's show. I would gladly go to any gig of theirs in the future. I think they are enjoying the retreat from the spotlight that the success of the first record cast on them. The new album is nowhere near accessible as the first ( the reason for their retreat I think ) and is a better album for it.

Oh, Snow Patrol suck. Talk about light weight dirge, their new single is the sonic equivalent of a blank stare. My Wife really likes them, so I thought the benefit of the doubt was in order once again - I needn't have bothered. I thought it might be better live, but I was wrong, it was worse.

Gnarls Barkley were, as Flumm says, very good indeed.

Looking forward to The Streets this Friday, I hope Skinner injects some more balls into the new material live. I like the new album, but it does not take me to as dark a place as I had hoped it would.

How about Telepopmusic?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby TonyWilson on Wed May 24, 2006 4:14 am

The old Popworld show on channel 4 with Simon Amstell (comedy genius) and Miquita Oliver (best legs in the business). While they promarily interviewed full on pop stars like Blue or Robbie Williams the show treated them with precisely zero reverance and at times zero respect.
Simon Amstell especially made subtle to very blunt jokes about how rubbish the groups were or they they were all just in it for the money or what have you. The really great thing was that while the majority of English groups got the humour and played along with it the American stars were obviously not used to being treated this way and their rage or confusion was palpable and greatly amusing. Amstell even asked The Game if he ever liked to close all his cutains take the phone off the hook and dress up in women's underwear!!!!!

It's sadly been cancelled now and a much more boring and usual show has been put on, but hopefully some people here watched the old one and we can remember some of the best moments.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed May 24, 2006 4:19 am

I loved it when Simon interviewed that reggae star and was really nice to him, before revealing he was Dumbledore and asking him for a hug. That guy was a fuckin' genius.

Miquita started off as a really lovely girl, but she got arrogant... I just don't think it was really working towards the end as she was trying to pull a "Simon" all the time, but came off as a teenager taking the piss.

The new guy's ok. I enjoyed his interview with Will Young from different ends of the street, shouting at eachother whilst people passed through.

Then I noticed the street was slanted. "Will on a Hill".
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Wed May 24, 2006 4:24 am

Simon Amstell is another guy who used to present on Nickelodeon UK!

I remember Miquita, and I wouldn't call her arrogant, maybe a bit cocky. It's good to see that in a woman on TV nowadays, they're mostly made out to be wet curtain-obsessives, so a woman who can make fun of their guests to their face deserves some props.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby tapehead on Wed May 24, 2006 5:16 am

great thread: how 'bout - 'Music on the telly'?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Brocktune on Wed May 24, 2006 3:19 pm

you know i should've realized that this would be a "for brits only" thread by default. you lucky motherfuckers, with your jools holland, and your john peel, and your old grey whistle test. i hate you. what do i get over here? i get fucking TRL. i get SNL, and Letterman, and Leno, and soul train, and all kind of other BULLSHIT! fuck! i want a show for me. a show that caters to me. and give me real music, and in a challenging way. the only thing we got it local programming. any town with a public access station probably has some show dedicated to their local scene. but thats it.

man, im fucking moving. thats all there is to it, im fucking moving. im going to buy a nice little house somewhere in hemel hempstead, or chippings sodbury, and im going to turn the tv on to channel 3 or 4 or whichever one has jools holland, and im going to brick up my front door, just after putting a sign on the outside that says FUCK OFF!

and for the record...

doglips: you are right, they do fucking suck. they should be called "blow patrol".
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu May 25, 2006 6:41 pm

tapehead wrote:great thread: how 'bout - 'Music on the telly'?

speaking of which...

Pitchfork wrote:Tomorrow night, Patton, Dan the Automator, Rahzel, Rob Swift, Miho Hatori of Cibi Matto, and Dub Trio will all invade "Late Night With Conan O'Brien" to perform "Mojo". Is there even enough room on that stage for all those people?

I thought the previous poster might appreciate the heads up, if he didn't know about it already.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: All That TV Based Musicy Stuff (Title To Let! )

Postby doglips on Thu May 25, 2006 6:46 pm

Flumm wrote:Oh, and just glancing at teh website, it seems coming this Friday are...

David Gilmour, The Streets, Elvis Costello & Allen Toussaint, and Paul Simon.

Next Week it's MORRISSEY, DIRTY PRETTY THINGS, HOT CHIP, OJOS DE BRUJO & INDIA ARIE on the show.

Hot Chip are excellent live, as is Morrissey. Will be interesting to see if DPT are able to not sound like the Libertines - they are not doing well on that front at the moment.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Brocktune on Thu May 25, 2006 7:14 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Pitchfork wrote:Tomorrow night, Patton, Dan the Automator, Rahzel, Rob Swift, Miho Hatori of Cibi Matto, and Dub Trio will all invade "Late Night With Conan O'Brien" to perform "Mojo". Is there even enough room on that stage for all those people?

I thought the previous poster might appreciate the heads up, if he didn't know about it already.

aye, indeed. thats the very appearance i spoke about HERE!

although, i had no idea miho hatori was going to be there. i didnt even know she and patton were friends. i know yuka honda had a record out on ipecac though, so i guess it makes sense. although, maybe smokey & miho released their records on ipecac. i dont fucking remember. oh well, thanks for the tip, dude.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:32 pm

Watching Jools at the moment.

Primal Scream still rock, but only just. They are getting worse as I type this post however, that female backing singer is highly irritating.

The Young Knives are so contrived, it's actually painful to watch.

Jose Gonzalez is fairly meh.

Omar has not played There's Nothing Like This.

Ray Davies is Kahn.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Seppuku on Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:45 pm

Jools Holland has Omar on? Are we talking about the male Sadè from the early 90's? He's made a comeback?! With this news and that Seven Samurai remake, I'm pretty sure the world might just be over.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby doglips on Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:45 pm

Yep, THE Omar. He was MEH.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:46 pm

Oh NO! Next week - Keane.......
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Seppuku on Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:49 pm

Exactly, he should change his name to Omeh.

*sigh. I guess this means calypso's gonna come back in fashion. Time to dig out my polka-dotted bermuda shorts again.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby vicious_bastard on Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:36 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:Ray Davies is Kahn.

HAAAHAHAHAHHAHA! You're right! I never noticed before.

Gogol Bordello are on next week and are fucking crazy. They'll more than make up for Keane's blandness.

How long have the beeb been putting the show online afterwards? I had no idea but will be ripping stuff galore now I know.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:03 pm

vicious_bastard wrote:Gogol Bordello are on next week and are fucking crazy. They'll more than make up for Keane's blandness.

How long have the beeb been putting the show online afterwards? I had no idea but will be ripping stuff galore now I know.

gogol bordello is really fucking cool. if you like oingo boingo, you will probably like them.

please, direct me to the website that hosts this shit please!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:11 pm

Hahah, I just watched it a little while ago, and the first thought I had as it was announced announced you could rewatch the show online, was a baby Brocktune coming downstairs on christmas morn, and seeing the shape of Jules Holland covered in chrsitmas wrapping underneathe the tree, and then a little tear welling up in his eye...

(I think he said it was online for a week after each show be the way)
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby vicious_bastard on Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:14 pm

please, direct me to the website that hosts this shit please!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/later/

You probably have to be in the UK unless you mask your IP somehow.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:16 pm

*through tears* thank you :cry:
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby vicious_bastard on Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:23 pm

Bump. New music show on channel four going head-to-head with Later... tonight. Presenters Steve Jones and Lauren Laverne, acts tonight include Kooks, Lily Allen and Dirty Pretty Things. Chances are it will be padded out with exactly the kind of post-pub nonsense that causes most shows of the same kind to be cancelled after one season.

I reckon I'll watch C4 (mainly because I fancy the arse off of Lauren Laverne) then see Jools online for some Gogol Bordello action.

I'm still in two minds about Lily Allen - some good tunes but I hate the 'mockney' hipster attitude and you have to be cynical when celebrity parents are involved. She went to the same (enormously expensive) school as Viscount Linley - and the bloke from the Kooks for fucks sake. Emma 'Hermione' Watson starts there next term.

Bet she's shit live. I'd still give her one though.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:25 pm

The Fratellis were fun, on Jools tonight, don't know if there's much to them though.

What did people think of the Dresden Dolls? Seemed kinda of annoying live, but that was some cool piano and drums...not sold on the voice though.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby doglips on Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:31 pm

vicious_bastard wrote:Bump. New music show on channel four going head-to-head with Later... tonight. Presenters Steve Jones and Lauren Laverne, acts tonight include Kooks, Lily Allen and Dirty Pretty Things. Chances are it will be padded out with exactly the kind of post-pub nonsense that causes most shows of the same kind to be cancelled after one season.

I reckon I'll watch C4 (mainly because I fancy the arse off of Lauren Laverne) then see Jools online for some Gogol Bordello action.

I'm still in two minds about Lily Allen - some good tunes but I hate the 'mockney' hipster attitude and you have to be cynical when celebrity parents are involved. She went to the same (enormously expensive) school as Viscount Linley - and the bloke from the Kooks for fucks sake. Emma 'Hermione' Watson starts there next term.

Bet she's shit live. I'd still give her one though.

I defected to Channel 4 too, where Laverne goes I follow.

I thought Lily Allen was good live, would have been better to here another song other than the single, but her voice seemed pretty good.

DPT need to play something other than their two singles - BORING!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:39 pm

Not sure if I like 'em, but I want Klaxons to play TOTP and soon.
TonyWilson

Postby doglips on Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:40 pm

Haha, indeed, a wall of noise if ever there was one - interesting, but Klaxon-like for sure.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:57 pm

Anyone watching V?

Kasabian are pretty tight live.

The new Go-Team! songs are great!

Radiohead on in a minute.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:24 pm

Watching Jools at the moment.

Just Jack is fucking terrible.

Bwahahahaha - he's using robot voices now!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Brocktune on Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:26 pm

who else is on?

and who the fuck is just jack?
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:31 pm

Kasabian, Jarvis Cocker, Smokey Robinson, Damien Rice, Joe Sample and Randy Crawford, The View and Just Jack.

Jamiroquai - Funk + The Streets - talent = Just Jack.

Those are minus signs by the way.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:34 pm

Joe Sample and Randy Crawford just performed Streetlife, love that song. Kasabian are OK, Damien Rice is predictably very down beat, yet good. The View are a new band from Scotland, all 19, pretty good.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Brocktune on Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:41 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:Jamiroquai - Funk + The Streets - talent = Just Jack.

Those are minus signs by the way.

yikes.

good thing you can laugh at them, at least.

although the prospect of them dragging robot voices through the mud via their crappiness makes me a little wary.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:42 pm

haha, prepare to make your ears bleed.........

Sorry Just Jack, but fuck me your lyrics are puerile and who the fuck gave you all this money for videos?

Writers Block - I hope he gets it soon. ( "I'm like a butterfly in a hurricane" - is that for real?? )

Snowflakes - I assume Robert Smith has no knowledge of this. Sacrilege.

Excuse my bile, this guy is really bugging me.
Last edited by doglips on Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Brocktune on Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:43 pm

snowflakes, eh?

not a cover of the classic "snowflakes" by pizzicato five, is it?

im thinking no.

i guess i will just have to watch to find out for sure
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:43 pm

I'm with you all the way there Dog, Just Jack was boring as fuck. It's like he heard a couple of tracks by The Streets and said "like that but a bit more indie" UUURGH.

Damien Rice I do like a lot, just seems to have a total emotional honesty which really appeals.
Jarvis was great as always.
I really really liked The View, dark but anthemic.
TonyWilson

Postby Brocktune on Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:01 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:Writers Block - I hope he gets it soon. ( "I'm like a butterfly in a hurricane" - is that for real?? )

excuse me while i choke this vomit back down.

once i got to the part about "loving mary jane/something with lois lane/something about a bullet train", i just couldnt fucking take anymore.
its good to be reminded that america isnt the only country that rewards talentless hacks for being just that with lucrative record deals.

fuck that guy.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:06 pm

I just had to watch him perform it live, with added robot voices.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Brocktune on Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:13 pm

i am so sorry.

well, actually i am brocktune, but the condolences are genuine.

what are the chances that jools has someone in his audience with a bag full of rotting produce, that can throw a pitch at 90 mph?
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:16 pm

Nil, they were all pretending to be cool and avent garde as per.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Flumm on Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:29 pm

Ever feel like you've already responded to a post, or even a serious of posts, due to the fact that they get churned around in your mind as you read them, only to look back and realise that it wasn't to be so...?

TonyWilson wrote:The old Popworld show on channel 4 with Simon Amstell (comedy genius) and Miquita Oliver (best legs in the business). While they promarily interviewed full on pop stars like Blue or Robbie Williams the show treated them with precisely zero reverance and at times zero respect.
Simon Amstell especially made subtle to very blunt jokes about how rubbish the groups were or they they were all just in it for the money or what have you. The really great thing was that while the majority of English groups got the humour and played along with it the American stars were obviously not used to being treated this way and their rage or confusion was palpable and greatly amusing. Amstell even asked The Game if he ever liked to close all his cutains take the phone off the hook and dress up in women's underwear!!!!!

It's sadly been cancelled now and a much more boring and usual show has been put on, but hopefully some people here watched the old one and we can remember some of the best moments.

Amstell has to be one of the most entertaining TV presenters we've had over here in years. Pop World was genuinely worth getting up on a Sunday morning, albeit with duvet's, microwaved cereals and big comfy headphones, just to see if he would casually let loose with Teh Pwnt on some unsuspecting usual suspects. He could be seriously annoying at times, and I'm not sure I would invite him around for elevensies anytime soons, but the man ran rings around all the pop prey he encountered, and it was most entertaining to watch.

Really underrated, I wonder what he's up to now?

vicious_bastard wrote:Bump. New music show on channel four going head-to-head with Later... tonight. Presenters Steve Jones and Lauren Laverne, acts tonight include...

I reckon I'll watch C4 (mainly because I fancy the arse off of Lauren Laverne)

thedoglippedone wrote:I defected to Channel 4 too, where Laverne goes I follow.

I <3 Lauren.

Anyone watching the Culture Show of late? Apart from being a great, great show, (the little Gael García Bernal interview was really endearing and illuminating of the man also I though), who's up for sneaking in to that real life style cosmpolitan set/bar thing where they film one of these weeks and just accompany my quietly in a corner while we commence raptorous oggling of her gently witty ways and her ginourmous blue peepers with me from afar?

Sigh, I think her eyes may be the wellspring from which all sarcasm must charasmatically seep into the ethers of the unverse.

thedoglippedone wrote:I just had to watch him perform it live, with added robot voices.

Don't worry, they weren't real robots, doglips.

[/soothingvoice]

Anyway, in our unfettered state, we may be of a generally yes/no/compliance type mentallity, but we do have standards.

thedoglippedone wrote:Nil, they were all pretending to be cool and avent garde as per.

Compliance.

But to be fair to them, it would be a mighty awkward situation not to be some degree of putz in that scenerio I think.

I always feel sorry for the sort of slightly inhibitive, but slightly into it guys, usually unfortunately sitatuated right next to the band and quite possibly a full time mental or two, who can't decide whether he wants to let loose and grind, to at least blend in some, or just get the bus back home to relative comfort and safety away from all that din.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri May 04, 2007 3:49 am

OK, so Jools is back tonight with The Hold Steady, CSS and Arctic Monkeys.

Next week - Joanna Newsome ( YES! ) and GRINDERMAN ( FUCK YEAH! )
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Brocktune on Fri May 04, 2007 3:08 pm

how are CSS live? does the sound hold up?
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri May 04, 2007 3:47 pm

Brocktune wrote:how are CSS live? does the sound hold up?

i haven't caught 'em yet, but P4k basically retracted a not so positive review of their album after catching their live set.

holds up and them some, apparently.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Fri May 04, 2007 4:01 pm

how could you not love that album?

i was hoping they would do a couple of shows here in cali, since they were at coachella. no such luck. can't wait to see em though.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Sat May 05, 2007 7:35 am

It's impossible not to like them in interviews, also.

Humble yet spunky.

Just how I like my South American Electro-funk Blah Blah chancers served in a this fuggy, smugsome, tightly-jeaned indie climate.

It just gets so frightlfully humid on the equater here, Henrietta. And the natives. Oh! The natives!

In other news, I was otherwise preoccupied during broadcasting hours, and it now seems they don't have the show up on the sites no more.

:x

Assuming really did make an ass out of me.

:cry:

Dog? Tony? Miss owt? :roll:

EDIT: Mmm, maybe it's me, but I think perhaps it would be a mistake to actually "Let" out the title at this point...
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Sat May 05, 2007 9:45 am

Yeh I did miss it unfortunately. CSS are fantastic live, i caught them last year in Nottingham but I'm not a huge of their album...it's pretty good but New Young Pony Club do it better IMHO.
TonyWilson

Postby doglips on Sat May 05, 2007 7:11 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Yeh I did miss it unfortunately. CSS are fantastic live, i caught them last year in Nottingham but I'm not a huge of their album...it's pretty good but New Young Pony Club do it better IMHO.

I suspect that's something to do with their extremely hot keyboard player, Mr Wilson. Yeah, yeah, I noticed her too.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat May 05, 2007 7:33 pm

I dunno, I prefer Bonde do Role to both of 'em...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Sat May 05, 2007 7:40 pm

Hard to compare them all really, CSS are more art-punk, Bonde de Role lean towards Go-Team/M.I.A. style tunes and NYPC are pretty much New But Not Quite New Order.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Next

Return to Music