Gnarls Barkley

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Gnarls Barkley

Postby Theta on Mon May 29, 2006 1:15 am

Didn't find a thread for this, but I just picked up "St. Elsewhere" and I'm really enjoying it. Pretty awesome album; it amazes me that a major label would release an album from two musicians who actually just wanted to make music as opposed to building an album to be a commercial success.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Mon May 29, 2006 1:33 am

Haven't heard much from Gnarls Barkley yet. I did see a piece on them on "Best Week Ever," though, and I think it's hilarious that a) they take all of their publicity photos dressed as other famous duos (Napoleon Dynamite and Pedro, Batman and Robin) and b) they flat-out deny that the name of their group has any sort of connection to Charles Barkley.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby MiltonWaddams on Mon May 29, 2006 3:02 am

I'm pretty sure I could be friends with Dangermouse.

Also, here's video. Pretty video, btw.
Urer yvrf Z.J.
Xvyyrq ol ungr naq vafvqr wbxrf.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon May 29, 2006 3:48 am

Thanks for the heads up on this. They're one of those groups that have put me off by their sudden popularity, which usually makes me a bit wary even if I like the single. May invest in it now as I'm a hip hop fan (as in DJ Shadow, Herbaliser et al).
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon May 29, 2006 4:33 am

"It's deep how you can be so shallow."

One of the many things I dig about the album is it's darkness.

Cee-Lo sings of depression, suicidal tendencies, craziness...all these frothy poppy beats that Danger throws at him get turned into a miasma of melancholy. I'm a sucker for depressing pop songs tho', 'specially ones that have a bounce under them...it's like a sonic suckerpunch.

Solid album, but methinks Danger should try to switch out of the 4/4ness that's been the staple of his career. I know I wanna hear him just flat out lose it, tweaking beats 'til they can't bend any further, or maybe just putting together a group ala what Kid Koala did with Bullfrog.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon May 29, 2006 5:14 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:"It's deep how you can be so shallow."

One of the many things I dig about the album is it's darkness.

Cee-Lo sings of depression, suicidal tendencies, craziness...all these frothy poppy beats that Danger throws at him get turned into a miasma of melancholy. I'm a sucker for depressing pop songs tho', 'specially ones that have a bounce under them...it's like a sonic suckerpunch.

Solid album, but methinks Danger should try to switch out of the 4/4ness that's been the staple of his career. I know I wanna hear him just flat out lose it, tweaking beats 'til they can't bend any further, or maybe just putting together a group ala what Kid Koala did with Bullfrog.

see, that right there's why you need to remain music Mod. I'm all like, "music...pretty"...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Seppuku on Mon May 29, 2006 5:21 am

Is Outkast/Dungeon Family's Cee-lo a part of this group? Held Down (on De La Soul's Bionix album) is probably one of my favourite songs of the 90's- the big guy's a belter alright. I'll have to check 'em out, just as long as I don't dish out my money to find out he's just guesting on one track.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby buster00 on Mon May 29, 2006 5:26 am

MiltonWaddams wrote:Image

I'm pretty sure I could be friends with Dangermouse.

Also, here's video. Pretty video, btw.

Goddamn, that shit is too smoove. I'd read about the video, but hadn't seen it. Thanks. I don't know why I don't think to look on the 'Tube for things like this more often.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Mon May 29, 2006 5:33 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:herbaliser

The Herbaliser are great. I remember seeing them play when I was living in France for a year, and they actually encouraged me to come back home I got so nostalgic. Something Wicked This Way Comes still gets played on my CD Player, which is quite an achievement for a UK Hip-Hop act, because they usually last as long as their references (see Jehst with lyrics like, "don't be a hater, or people will think you're Kat Slater".)
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon May 29, 2006 5:51 am

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Is Outkast/Dungeon Family's Cee-lo a part of this group? Held Down (on De La Soul's Bionix album) is probably one of my favourite songs of the 90's- the big guy's a belter alright.

He's on every track. Stellar work as usual.

And fuck yes on Held Down.

Thanks Moo Cow. I try my bestest.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Mon May 29, 2006 6:05 am

Noice KCBC, I'll see if I can borrow it, and if I like what I hear I'll buy it.

And props on the Held Down love:
"And when I'm watchin the news, my daughter walks in and chooses to ask, "Why were all those people on the floor sleepin, covered in red?" I told her that they were lookin for God, but found religion instead."

Seeing as how you're my go-to man today, I guess I should also ask- did De La ever get to releasing the third album in that trilogy, after a year or two of waiting for it to come out I just gave up.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon May 29, 2006 6:39 am

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Seeing as how you're my go-to man today, I guess I should also ask- did De La ever get to releasing the third album in that trilogy, after a year or two of waiting for it to come out I just gave up.

Tommy Bitches were so bitter at the low album sales that they've held onto the album for years now, not even bothering to release it. Fuckers!

Nah, last album they dropped was the Grind Date, released on some indie label I believe. Pretty good album too.

I can discuss De La all night...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Mon May 29, 2006 7:21 am

There are a couple great tracks on this; the Violent Femmes cover is fucking great.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Logan5 on Mon May 29, 2006 7:40 am

unikrunk wrote:There are a couple great tracks on this; the Violent Femmes cover is fucking great.

A fucking Violent Femmes cover?! Man, I need to check this album out.
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Theta on Tue May 30, 2006 6:37 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Thanks for the heads up on this. They're one of those groups that have put me off by their sudden popularity, which usually makes me a bit wary even if I like the single. May invest in it now as I'm a hip hop fan (as in DJ Shadow, Herbaliser et al).

The single is very good but it's kinda different from the rest of the album. As others have noted, it's a fairly dark and melancholy album, although there's some humor in there, sick ("Necromancer", which is about what you think it is) and otherwise ("Feng Shui", which cracks me up.)
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby sleepflower on Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:34 am

Anyone else heard the acoustic cover of cray. Absolutely gorgeous. Cant remember who it is by though.
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:47 am

Logan5 wrote:
unikrunk wrote:There are a couple great tracks on this; the Violent Femmes cover is fucking great.

A fucking Violent Femmes cover?! Man, I need to check this album out.

yuh - they do 'Gone Daddy Gone' and it's an excellent cover - familiar and they hold onto the melody, but unmistakably different. I've been following Dangermouse since 'the Grey Album' (Jay-z's Black Album put to music comprised of samples from the Beatles White Album - 'illegal' but out there on the net), and from the MF Doom album, to Gorrilaz to this, he's yet to do anything short of brilliant - this Cee Lo Guy is new to me, but a beautiful voice, and it's easy to hear the connection to U.S. Hip Hop / RnB like OutKast. I overdosed on the single on UK radio at first, but the album is as good as the single might lead you to believe
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby The Garbage Man on Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:57 pm

I'm addicted to "St. Elsewhere." I wish Cee-lo had done a bit more rapping on the album, but I like he's a great singer nonetheless.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:32 pm

tapehead wrote: I've been following Dangermouse since 'the Grey Album' (Jay-z's Black Album put to music comprised of samples from the Beatles White Album - 'illegal' but out there on the net), and from the MF Doom album, to Gorrilaz to this, he's yet to do anything short of brilliant

what, no love for his collab w/ Jemini, Ghetto Pop Life?

they're currently working on a follow-up album, should drop early 2007.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:51 pm

no love.... because i aint heard it yet - thanks for the tip KCBC, I'd give your nads a sharp twist anytime
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:14 pm

tapehead wrote:no love.... because i aint heard it yet - thanks for the tip KCBC, I'd give your nads a sharp twist anytime

hahahaahaha!

It's a pretty good album, his "first" true production after The Grey Album.

Working with a solid, tho' unspectatular journeyman MC like Jemini was in hindsight a solid move on Dangermouse's part. Jemini reigned in his more "trippy" sensibilities, had him focus on straightfoward beatmaking, commercially palatable stuff that Danger's been knocking out since. Hearing it after the Gorillaz, Dangerdoom, Gnarls stuff may take away some of its "freshness", but it's worth a listen.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:23 pm

Anything the mouse has made mincemeat of is worth a listen - I'm hoping he'll drop a debut solo album to rival 'Endtroducing' or 'Strictly Turntablized' before too long
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Hollywood_Bob on Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:47 am

ok I didn't see an MTV movie award thread but thought this would be appropriate.....possibly the best music performance at the awards...ever! Rebel Pilot backup singers...imperial orchestra...Chewy on drums...Jango on Keyboard....Star Wars Theme....kick arse!
"The only way to rid yourself of tempation...is to yeild to it." Oscar Wilde

Hollywood_Bob
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:09 am

Aw, I wish I hadn't stopped watching before that. Something about that awards show sickens me. Sickens me, I tell you! But this is neither the post nor the thread to get into that particular can of worms.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:59 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby doglips on Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:59 pm

Thanks for the link Zombie, that is too cool.

Chewie on drums is most excellent.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Shane on Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:54 am

Man, I don't listen to much new music aside from some death metal and grind core stuff, but these guys are addictive. I just heard them this week, and I love them.

They have a myspace, and they have pictures of them dressed up like all kinds of cool movies.

I'm a fan I don't care if they have sudden popularity or not. I think they deserve it.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:06 am

Not funny.

(Tumbling tumbling Tumbleweeds)

Not funny.

Fuxake, to think that my stand up comedian mate sent me a text saying that this movie was the funniest thing and that I HAD to see it, Chewie on Drums is fucking hilarious, blah blah blah, and now that I got to see it, and what a load of shit it is. God's sake, the amount of useless "Oh let's dress up as SW characters, it's SO funny" gags that I've seen which are just gimmicky bloody useless.

Man, I wanted this crap to end. I'm angry at people for telling me that I HAVE to watch this. I want my 3 minutes 32 seconds and all the time that it took me to grab my headphones and write this post, BACK!!!

IT IS SHIT!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Vegeta on Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:14 am

Wow, aren't you a ray of sunshine :roll:
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:40 pm

now here's some musicology for 'ya!

we've all heard, repeatedly, over and over 'til you can't get no mo' but still come back 'cuz the hook is so sweet Crazy, right?

Well, do you know what tune they sampled to create that ditty?

Better yet, do you know which Spaghetti Western it's from? 2 x's bonus for who scored it...

Music for kids who can't read does, and clicking on that link will inform your ass.

For the lazy, here it is, Django goes Crazy!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:15 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:now here's some musicology for 'ya!

we've all heard, repeatedly, over and over 'til you can't get no mo' but still come back 'cuz the hook is so sweet Crazy, right?

Better yet, do you know which Spaghetti Western it's from? 2 x's bonus for who scored it...

Music for kids who can't read does, and clicking on that link will inform your ass.

Heh...that's great! Personally I keep coming back because Cee-Lo's got some great vocals.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Eunuch Provocateur on Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:34 am

Gnarls Barkley asserts two things for me:

1) Danger Mouse is a beat master. None of his stuff seems to have an overlap\lack of ideas between Demon Days, The Mouse and the Mask, and St. Elsewhere.

2) Cee-lo can actually sing. A rarity these days, it seems like. My favorite track featuring him is still Slum Beautiful by Outkast, though.
There's no Devil, just God when he's drunk. -Tom Waits.
Eunuch Provocateur
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby MiltonWaddams on Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:42 am

For fans of Dangermouse, Adult Swim released a chunklet of songs as a follow up to Dangerdoom for FREEEEEEEE.

Website.

Direct Download.
Urer yvrf Z.J.
Xvyyrq ol ungr naq vafvqr wbxrf.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON

Postby Theta on Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:23 pm

Saw them live last night.

Pretty kickass show; they came on in tennis whites. It was a pretty quick set, funny and the crowd was good. I like being at a show where the audience sings along to more than just the hits.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:28 pm

did peeping tom open?
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:23 am

Brocktune wrote:did peeping tom open?

No idea. Are they fronted by a sleazy white guy and have a black guy who is a vastly more talented singer and a great beatboxer?
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:13 am

Theta wrote:

No idea. Are they fronted by a sleazy white guy and have a black guy who is a vastly more talented singer and a great beatboxer?

that would be a yes then...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:44 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Theta wrote:

that would be a yes then...

Whoever they were, they were all right, I suppose. But the aforementioned sleazy white guy obviously didn't get the audience couldn't give a shit about the opening act.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:51 pm

Mike Patton and Rahzel touring together would get my ass to the club early, but what the fuck does Boston know about quality hip-hop anyway? Lif left, Edan ain't from there, and Guru only blew up when he moved down to NY with Primo. Yr City's a Sucker...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:29 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Mike Patton and Rahzel touring together would get my ass to the club early, but what the fuck does Boston know about quality hip-hop anyway? Lif left, Edan ain't from there, and Guru only blew up when he moved down to NY with Primo. Yr City's a Sucker...

Look, all the black people are too busy trying to get the fuck out of Roxbury or Dorchester, and all the white people are too busy emulating the Dropkick Murphys and/or getting the fuck out of Southie. You don't know terror until you hear a thousand drunken Bostonians singing along to "Tessie" off-key.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:47 pm

Theta wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Mike Patton and Rahzel touring together would get my ass to the club early, but what the fuck does Boston know about quality hip-hop anyway? Lif left, Edan ain't from there, and Guru only blew up when he moved down to NY with Primo. Yr City's a Sucker...

Look, all the black people are too busy trying to get the fuck out of Roxbury or Dorchester, and all the white people are too busy emulating the Dropkick Murphys and/or getting the fuck out of Southie. You don't know terror until you hear a thousand drunken Bostonians singing along to "Tessie" off-key.

heh, good point.

and to all non East Coast, specifically non-Tax-achusetts Zoners, you've got to do a phoenetic pronunciation of Dorchester...either DAH-CHES-TER, or DAHS-TER.

Fucking Southies...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pudie on Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:00 pm

First off.... Mike Patton is one of the best singers working today. But Peeping Tom is a little dissapointing in my eyes.

That being said, "St. Elsewhere" is my favorite album of the year so far. Awesome, catchy songs from front to back. The only track I dont really like is Boogey Man. But other then that it's near perfect and one of my favorite hip hop albums in a looooong time.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:22 pm

LEEEEEEEEKAGE!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:29 pm

The Odd Couple...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fievel on Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:31 pm

Anyone watch the banned video?

I'm really prone to migraines so I'm actually scared to.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:35 pm

It seems less "single" ready than the first one for sure. Ive listened to it a couple times so far and am unsure what to make of it yet.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Zarles on Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:42 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:now here's some musicology for 'ya!

Any chance that song is anywhere else, kc? It ain't there no mo'.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:26 am

Zarles wrote:]Any chance that song is anywhere else, kc? It ain't there no mo'.

Here ya go
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:29 am

Avert your eyes if necessary, here's the video.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:52 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Avert your eyes if necessary, here's the video.

the leaked version of "Run" has a different beat, which makes me wonder if some other tracks won't be changed as well.

hell, I'm not even sure if the track list I have is legit, or if the songs are the same, or if they're even labeled properly.

but if what I've got is the goods, then I'm shocked they didn't drop "Would Be Killer" as the lead single. Maybe they're saving it up, maybe they didn't want to edit out the pretty loud "fuck me well FUCK you too", but the beat is a banger, the hook is insanely catchy, and Cee-Lo sounds like a pretty heretofore unheard combination of garage rawk rasp and soul man croon. By far my favorite track.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Music