Post-Punk, New Wave, No Wave & Friends!

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby Seppuku on Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:59 pm

A few more bands I've bumped into during my endless adventures through the new wave:

The Slits. I ain't gonna lie, I was sold by the NSFW cover, but they're more than just a few mud-slinging feministas, the music's sound. I kinda expected to hear some proto-Babes in Toyland style Riot Grrring, but I'm glad I got 12 songs of very wonky punk-reggae instead.

Aztec Camera. They were on the Scottish Postcard label along with Josef K and Orange Juice, but for my money High Land, Hard Rain is better than anything those two bands have done. They're just great songs, written by a 17 year old Roddy Frame. I'm still having trouble getting Walk Out to Winter and Oblivious out of my head. I don't think they ever cut anything anywhere near as good afterwards, but if I made an album as tight as this then I'd be satisfied for life.

The only other two new new wave bands I've been listening to probably came a year or two too late: Bjork's Sugarcubes and Half Man Half Biscuit. Man, as an old-school Bjork fan, it's nice to fall in love with her again by hearing her warble all over these super-uncool/cool/uncool tracks. I guess she was a little too sincere to be considered at one with the New Wave crew, but she had the experimental edge down. While Half Man Half Biscuit are sort of a Punk Folk band...They don't have Celtic horns and sing of dead sailors or anything; when I say folk I mean they wrote songs culled from THE PEOPLE. They're funny as fuck too.

OK, spleen duly vented, I'll let this thread sink again.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Brocktune on Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:15 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:The Slits. I ain't gonna lie, I was sold by the NSFW cover, but they're more than just a few mud-slinging feministas, the music's sound. I kinda expected to hear some proto-Babes in Toyland style Riot Grrring, but I'm glad I got 12 songs of very wonky punk-reggae instead.

im pretty sure they were in "Jubilee" as well. they are often name dropped along side bands like the au-pairs. ive gotta get some of their shit.

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Man, as an old-school Bjork fan, it's nice to fall in love with her again by hearing her warble all over these super-uncool/cool/uncool tracks. I guess she was a little too sincere to be considered at one with the New Wave crew, but she had the experimental edge down.

no shame in that whatsoever. although, im that guy that actually prefers stick around for joy. that record is bubblegum icelandic indiepop sweetness through and through. i almost liked her better in the sugarcubes. but then again, i always think that bands are cooler than solo artists.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:28 pm

Hey I completely forgot that the Slits were in Jubilee! I guess this means I've liked them for longer than I thought. I've got the You Tube link to their appearance HERE. Seriously I'm picking that up now, I think if I don't buy that movie I'll never get to see it again!

I dig what you're saying about the Sugarcubes, in fact I agree with you completely. I think it's easier to get your vision across when you've got 3 other members to fall back on when the wax binding ya wings melts (sorry, drinking coffee-absinthe makes me start to sound a bit like Frasier). And also I just think tracks like Birthday and Planet are better tunes than Bjork's solo stuff.

Although Einar's vocals are still a little annoying. It's like having a Kraftwerk robot invade a Sigur Ros record.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Brocktune on Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:39 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Although Einar's vocals are still a little annoying. It's like having a Kraftwerk robot invade a Sigur Ros record.

hahahahahahaha

dude, i love einar.
its funny, because most people think his "rhymes" are goofy or stupid or Dumbledore or all three. and in a way they are. i just always assumed thats what he was going for.

hey, speaking of einar orn, did you know that he has a band he is working in right now called GHOSTIGITAL? they are actually signed here in the us to none other than Mike Pattton's Ipecac Records. HERE is their bio at the Ipecac site. i havent listened to them yet, but that is because i am seriously like a super bum, and i am also a horrible procrastinator. but i do love me some einar.

and birthday is a great fucking song. way better than "happy birthday" by altered images.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:48 pm

oooh i loved the sugarcubes. i could never get into bjork's solo stuff. i'm just more of an indie/pop/rock lover than an electronica lover.

einar annoyed me though. kinda like fred schneider in the b-52s, i just didn't see the point of having him in the band, to talk over the songs. those guys just annoy me.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Brocktune on Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:51 pm

TheBaxter wrote:einar annoyed me though. kinda like fred schneider in the b-52s,

thats the perfect analogy he is like some kind of fred schneidermundsdottir or something. hahaha
although i love what he does, you are totally right, dude.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:53 pm

lol what the fuck. I'm listening to a remix of Ghostigital's song Northern Lights... I think I might like this band. I don't hate his vocals, it's just they're a little weird in those Sugarcubes songs. I think I'd appreciate him more by listening to an album of full-on Einar goodness, minus the Bjork-pack.

Thanks again for freeing my mind dogg. OK, seeing as how this album In Cod We Trust has got Mark E Smith guesting, I'm gonna buy it. That's power for you dude, you've kicked off my XTC love, and now you've got me buying Einar albums. The way I see it is like this, you've got to have an album for every mood, so when I get diagnosed with schizoid hyper-nervous bi-polar syndrome, well I'll have the perfect record to listen to.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Brocktune on Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:06 pm

i just downloaded the video and an mp3. i have me some high ass hopes!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:08 pm

oh yeah, and i found out that einar's son's name is "kaktus"

i dont know if thats a traditional icelandic name or not, but either way, that shit is fucking cool!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:51 pm

BUMP.

So I have recently been listening to Gang Of Four. I'd had the tracks for a long while but never got much out of them until I heard "guns before butter" quite randomly on a pub jukebox of all places. Anyway I've dived right in to the New Wave style and this thread has been a fantastic guide.

I was wondering if there were any new New Wave fans in the zone?
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Brocktune on Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:37 pm

outside the trains dont run on time....
amazing

andy gill is a fucking genius.
excellent choice, tonywilson.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:28 pm

Cheers, Reverend.

I'm right into Mission Of Burma now too, brilliant sound.

Talking Heads kinda melt into New Wave too I guess, and they are one of my top 5 bands and have been for a loooong time. I should have checked out this stuff earlier.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby mistertim on Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:46 pm

Speaking of Gang of Four, any zoners going to this?

http://www.atpfestival.com/events/nightmare/
"That's why they sent me I am an expert."
mistertim
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:03 pm

The Simon Reynolds book mentioned in this thread is THE definite guide book on all these great post-punk, new wave bands. But the three that stand out for me have to be Joy Dvision, The Pop Group and PIL. Ian Curtis (Joy Division) was an amazing songwriter for his age and had he not comitted suicide, who knows what he would've went on to achieve. As for PIL, their Metal Box is simply one of the most radical, and left-field LP's I've ever heard. It sounds like little else in rock/pop music. IMO it's John Lydon's finest moment notwithstanding his work in the Sex Pistols.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:25 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Talking Heads kinda melt into New Wave too I guess, and they are one of my top 5 bands and have been for a loooong time. I should have checked out this stuff earlier.

definitely.

'77 and Fear of Music are absolute classics

mistertim wrote:Speaking of Gang of Four, any zoners going to this?

http://www.atpfestival.com/events/nightmare/

if i lived over there, absolutely. they tried to bring atp over here once. how successful it was is questionable. but needless to say, they havent tried to do it here since then. its a real shame.

HollywoodBabylon wrote:As for PIL, their Metal Box is simply one of the most radical, and left-field LP's I've ever heard. It sounds like little else in rock/pop music. IMO it's John Lydon's finest moment notwithstanding his work in the Sex Pistols.

you could be wrong, you could be right.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:33 pm

Fear Of Music is amazing man, it's elemental. I love 77 too, but I'm still with Remain In Light as the finest TH record.
TonyWilson

Postby Wazoo on Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:18 pm

I've had SMOKE 'EM (STP) on my stereo for ages.

Just a really cool band, sort of a precursor to the whole RIOT GRRL sound. I love The Pastels too.
Wazoo
GLIB

Postby Brocktune on Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:55 pm

welcome to the zone, wazoo.

excellent place for a first post too, i might add.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Wazoo on Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:20 pm

Thanks.

And now for (probably) the best "Post-Punk/New Wave" records, well, ever:

There's so much good stuff from that era-- Depeche Mode, Pop Group, The Fall, Pere Ubu. FUCKIN' A, man.
Wazoo
GLIB

Postby Seppuku on Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:13 pm

I just bought a Wedding Present album a couple of weeks ago, and that jangly pop shit rules! It's funny that the difference between some no-wave stuff and some new-wave is like the difference between The Velvet Underground and The Beatles. You had cats like Suicide and Throbbing Gristle making depraved music alongside Vic Godard and Wedding Present's old-skool style, straight-up pop.

I remember seeing a flick called Wings of Desire a few years back- I think it came out in the 80s. Well it had a really important scene set around a Nick Cave concert, and this was NOT the sullen goth Cave I knew of, but a much more aggressive stranger. Based on how good that performance was, I bought about three Birthday Party albums and....well let's just say I was a leeetle suprised. This is the weirdest, scariest shit I've ever listened to, but it's also hella funny at the same time- like the soundtrack to some Aussie punk-rock dance macabre. I REALLY advice anyone to get into them if they're into things like Faith no More and some of the early Bad Seeds stuff.

Oh yeah and WELCOME to teh Zone Wazoo...thanks for bumping my favourite thread.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Brocktune on Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:19 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:I bought about three Birthday Party albums and....well let's just say I was a leeetle suprised. This is the weirdest, scariest shit I've ever listened to, but it's also hella funny at the same time- like the soundtrack to some Aussie punk-rock dance macabre. I REALLY advice anyone to get into them if they're into things like Faith no More and some of the early Bad Seeds stuff.

dude,

please tell me you have listened to The Jesus Lizard.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:25 pm

:oops: I kind of remember they had some Steve Albini/Nirvana connection, but I think they must have sunk while trying to make their way across the Atlantic to England, because I don't think I've EVER heard them mentioned here!

You wanna give any album props and I'll probably listen to it when I get the cash? You got 1/1 so far with Black Sea, so I trust you.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Brocktune on Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:31 pm

GOAT!!!!!!

if you can only get one jesus lizard album, GOAT is the one to get.

they drew comparisons to the birthday party, among others.

david yow is a god.
those who can appreciate, and i mean truly appreciate his vocal style, are the ones who really know what time it is!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:35 pm

Alright cheers dude, I'll check it out...just as long as you didn't say GOAT as a typo when you really meant GOATSE!!!! :shock:

Ah, who am I kidding, that'd be an added draw.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Brocktune on Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:43 pm

i wouldnt be surprised if some of mr. yow's lyrics conjured up mental images of goatse's and the like.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:22 am

Well, if you ever saw The Jesus Lizard live then chances are that Mr. Yow gave you a show similar to goatse. There were deputies all over the Detroit Lollapalooza stop and he dropped trou anyway. Thurston Moore later remarked what a piece of art Yow's scrotum was.

Anyway...

I was at work the other day and the place has some sort of satellite fed music system. Not sure what channel it was on but Siouxsie and The Banshees' "Cities In Dust" came on and my jaw about hit the floor. Even when I go to Detroit I never hear Siouxsie on the radio (oh 89X, whatever happened to you?) so to hear it there was flabbergasting. A killer song selection too.

I think I'm gonna bookmark this thread. Some of the bands I was already onto but the album recommendations are a boon to this music fan.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:19 am

it was probably Fred on XM. that station plays a ton of 70s and 80s punk and new wave stuff. it's amazing some of the obscure stuff that makes it onto that station, stuff that makes Siouxsie seem like Phil Collins, famousness-wise.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Seppuku on Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:42 am

Anyone know if The Pop Group's Y is worth getting a hold of? As far as I know it's only available on Japanese import (like so many great albums unfortunately :(), but the shop just down the street has a kind of half-expensive copy, and I keep on getting closer and closer to snapping it up every time I walk by.

What does it sound like? All I know is it's called Y....by The Pop Group.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Brocktune on Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:04 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Well, if you ever saw The Jesus Lizard live then chances are that Mr. Yow gave you a show similar to goatse. There were deputies all over the Detroit Lollapalooza stop and he dropped trou anyway. Thurston Moore later remarked what a piece of art Yow's scrotum was.

totally.

he never dropped trou any of the times i saw them, and i couldnt have been more disappointed. to have never bore witness to the "tight n' shiny" live and in person is something i will go to my grave regretting. but they were absolutely amazing every time i saw them.

in fact, HERE is a fantastically amazing fan cam clip of them live, proving just how awesome they were, yow especially. what a badass.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Carolian on Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:20 pm

Just a bit of a bump to recommend another band (also referenced in RIP IT UP AND START AGAIN, which I've just re-read) that I've gotten into.

Pere Ubu, from Cleveland, just an hour or so from where I live. Frightening and hilarious all at once, funky but totally off-kilter, with some of the strangest vocals I've ever heard. Anything from DATAPANIK IN THE YEAR ZERO or THE MODERN DANCE is great, with TMD's title track as a stand-out. Also great, off of DATAPANIK, is "30 Seconds Over Tokyo", which tries to recreate the sounds in the cockpits of American pilots bombing Japan during WWII. Eerie stuff.

I've been listening to a lot of Slint, too, but I don't think that would fit here.
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Brocktune on Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:39 pm

Carolian wrote:Pere Ubu, from Cleveland, just an hour or so from where I live. Frightening and hilarious all at once, funky but totally off-kilter, with some of the strangest vocals I've ever heard. Anything from DATAPANIK IN THE YEAR ZERO or THE MODERN DANCE is great, with TMD's title track as a stand-out. Also great, off of DATAPANIK, is "30 Seconds Over Tokyo", which tries to recreate the sounds in the cockpits of American pilots bombing Japan during WWII. Eerie stuff.

those guys are bad ass! tony maimone used to play bass with them, and later went on to occasionally play bass for They Might Be Giants on and off. they are definitely something of an acquired taste, but their records are still amazing today.

Carolian wrote:I've been listening to a lot of Slint, too, but I don't think that would fit here.

heh, spiderland?

that "Namedropping" pic of teh balm's would be muy apropos right about now. :wink:
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Carolian on Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:45 pm

Hahaha yeah, it occurred to me afterward that the Slint thing kind of didn't fit even a tiny bit, but I think that it was a subconscious "MORE PEOPLE SHOULD HEAR THE NAME OF SLINT" thing. Yeah, I've been listening to SPIDERLAND. "Good Morning Captain" is such an amazing song.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby wonkabar on Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:30 pm

How 'bout that Police-reunion?
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Brocktune on Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:39 pm

i just heard about that this morning.

sting cant be that hard up for cash. even stuart and andy. while maybe not as prominent in the celebrity spotlight as old gordy, they certainly cant be hurting that bad either. i could have swore that i heard that they reunited at sting's wedding, and that all of the old demons came immediately to the surface, and all three were instantly reminded of exactly why they stopped playing together in the first place. and i could swear that i heard that straight from sting himself.
oh well. maybe if im lucky, oingo boingo will reunite, and open for them again.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:55 pm

So I've queried a couple of the more knowledgeable Zoners (brock 'n sepp, apologies made to whoever pleases) about the all female, Swiss, post-punk/new-wave non-musical trained but purveyors of some of the most joyful skronk ever recorded by amateurs, the ne plus ultra of snotty music name drops Kleenex / LiLiPUT.

Haven't heard of 'em, have ya'?

No surprise, for as of 1993 you can only have gotten their catalogue by sending $30 to a now defunct record label in Switzerland...as of 2003 said collected recordings were made available from beloved indie label Kill Rock Stars, but since the band never toured and only released 11 of their 46 songs (sales...600 copies. Ever find them on vinyl in some dusty bin, for Cthulu's sake, BUY IT!) in the U.S. prior to that, well, name recognition, even for well versed musical snobs like some of us are, would obviously be difficult.

I had first heard about them when the second greatest rock 'n roll critic ever wrote a column back in aught '93, then re-reminded by the same critic when I purchased his informative, witty, and erudite book, Grown Up all Wrong, where the entire essay and 90% of all critical writing about this band can be found. And being the stoner that I am, I completely forgot about them.

It wasn't until recently, when I dusted off GUAW for some bathroom perusing, that I was re-reminded of Kleenex / LiLiPUT at all.

And, being the stoner that I am, completely forgot about them again.

It took this thread to finally shake off those stoner cobwebs and re-re-remind my burnt out re(tarded) mind about them. The question now became where to find the album...

One (of the many) magics of the internets is that such forgotten bands can be excavated from history's scrap heap by some simple (and not so simple) clicks of a mouse. My soul seeked, and find it did, but alas, twas incomplete. Took until yesterday when I decided to browse thru Emusic (shite ads in Marvel comics notwithstanding, a pretty great music site, i-tunes compatible to boot) that I stumbled across the holy Greil Marcus.

And...it's not bad. They do bear the marks of their non-music pedigree...the sound is a bit rough, but the simplicity is part of the charm. In most every song, especially on disc 1 (earlier recordings), there's always a simple melody or riff that'll carry the tune, something you can hum to yourself later on. Here's my personal fave of the 46 tracks, one that best exemplifies all my inane ramblings...

Kleenex / LiLiPUT, "Die Matrosen".

Not (too) bad, eh?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:04 pm

I knew I'd heard of them when you brought them up the other week. My cousin went to see them play, along with a pretty similar band called The Raincoats, way back in the 70's.

Can you imagine going to that gig and seeing these bull-dyke angels totally unprepared? I seem to recall he thought he was going to see some pub-band or something. But instead what he got was a bunch of stripped-back Faust-inspired feministas in ripped-up bondage wear. They obviously made enough of an impression on him for him to tell me about it a couple of years ago though, so I guess at the least they were quite memorable. It's easy to imagine that every Head instantly bought into post-punk music the moment it came about, but, at least in my cousin's case, he only appreciated what he'd seen after being forced to listen to bands like Spandau Ballet.

Shame about the lack of availability, but I guess that just heightens the feeling of them being your own personal band...albeit one who burnt-out decades ago.

As far as The Raincoats are concerned, I'd say search out Odyshape. Although, it's the only thing of their's I've heard, and it's not exactly all that punky- more airy and fractured. I think The Kitchen Tapes was their first...? Not sure about that. Greil would know if he were in the house. Then again, I guess if you discovered Kleenex before me, you probably know about the Raincoats already anyway.

Anyway, nice write-up dude. Glad to see this thread back in the Top 15 again.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Carolian on Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:17 pm

KCBC, much love for the link! I'd never even heard of them before, but I'll be making a beeline for Kill Rock Stars to pick their stuff up, posthaste.

I'm about to give a listen to DECEIT by This Heat, one of the early Rough Trade post-punk bands, along with--according to RIP IT UP AND START AGAIN, which I've just consulted--Scritti Politti, Swell Maps, Cabaret Voltaire, Young Marble Giants, and (weeeeeird) the Raincoats and Kleenex. How's that for (accidentally) bringing it all full circle?
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Seppuku on Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:40 pm

Carolian wrote:I'm about to give a listen to DECEIT by This Heat, one of the early Rough Trade post-punk bands, along with--according to RIP IT UP AND START AGAIN, which I've just consulted--Scritti Politti, Swell Maps, Cabaret Voltaire, Young Marble Giants, and (weeeeeird) the Raincoats and Kleenex. How's that for (accidentally) bringing it all full circle?

TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK AFTER YOU LISTEN. This Heat are one of the bands I've only heard a little bit of (courtesy of Last FM), but what I did I absolutely loved. But for some reason I've not got any of their stuff. You have my credit card at your disposal Carolian, use it wisely.

By the way, Scritti Politti released a new album last year which, in my opinion, was every bit as good as anything he put out in the 80s. Although I would say that, considering I think Cupid&Psyche sounds a bit like a Jermaine Jackson album (not that I've ever heard one...recently...in the last two days).
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Carolian on Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:12 pm

Just finished the first listen of DECEIT, and--knowing full well the responsibility that comes with such a recommendation--I can't say enough great things about it. I've never heard anything quite like it. It's really pretty in parts, which I wasn't expecting, and there's also a real tribal feel to some of the songs. The music itself is constantly changing; each song sounds different than the one that came before it, and it keeps you off-balance throughout. Sometimes the songs even switch gears halfway through, on a dime, changing into completely different styles. It's purposely jarring, but also amazing. The vocals are alternately pretty and unearthly, sometimes even studio-manipulated to sound totally fucking weird.

It's really, really experimental, but it's also a strangely beautiful album. Man, I can't gush enough about it. Your mileage may vary, of course, but I'd give it five stars.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Seppuku on Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:25 pm

Much appreciated- I'll have it in my hands in a few days, so I can tell you what a lying scumbag you are then.

Naw, I find my tastes are getting more and more experimental these days. Once you get over that initial jolt of -what the hell am I listenng to!- music by bands like This Heat (Deceit...I just got it...) offer you more layers to unpeel.

What you described sounds like something I'll probably love, and it's not like I'm going in totally blindfolded, considering I've heard one or two of their tracks before. Tribal/pretty/off-balance/unearthly/studio trickery...yep, my kinda listen.

Once again, thanks for reminding me they existed, and for the review.

Although if you suddenly change your mind on the second listen, I guess I'm kinda fucked because I just ordered it.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Carolian on Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:48 pm

Oh shit, dude, I was just coming to tell you--on the second listen, it turns into banjos playing "Hava Nagila" for sixty minutes, followed by Walter Cronkite saying "Fuck this shit", and a single Woody Woodpecker laugh fed through a Vocoder.

My bad, bro. That's on me.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Brocktune on Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:50 pm

Carolian wrote:Oh shit, dude, I was just coming to tell you--on the second listen, it turns into banjos playing "Hava Nagila" for sixty minutes, followed by Walter Cronkite saying "Fuck this shit", and a single Woody Woodpecker laugh fed through a Vocoder.

that tears it.
now I'm buying it!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Carolian on Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:13 am

I can't wait until next week, I'm heading to Cleveland with a couple of my friends to this amazing record store that's supposed to be filled with the kind of awesome records and CDs that you have to trawl for usually--PiL, The Slits, Pere Ubu, This Heat... I really want to get ahold of the stuff I've been hearing about for years, and haven't been able to find. Record stores huzzah!

Oh, I'm stocking up. They've even got an original LP version of Metal Box! Like, with the actual metal box. That's amazing. If I had a record player, that would be miiiiiine.

Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:29 pm

Carolian wrote:I'm about to give a listen to DECEIT by This Heat, one of the early Rough Trade post-punk bands, along with--according to RIP IT UP AND START AGAIN, which I've just consulted--Scritti Politti, Swell Maps, Cabaret Voltaire, Young Marble Giants, and (weeeeeird) the Raincoats and Kleenex. How's that for (accidentally) bringing it all full circle?

synchronicity!

I wrote a brief review of the only This Heat box set you'll ever need, Out of Cold Storage. Might be a bit of a double dip since you already have Deceit, but it's got every album they ever recorded plus some live stuff.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Carolian on Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:37 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

synchronicity!

I wrote a brief review of the only This Heat box set you'll ever need, Out of Cold Storage. Might be a bit of a double dip since you already have Deceit, but it's got every album they ever recorded plus some live stuff.

Oooh, good catch--I don't, ahem, own DECEIT, er, strictly speaking, so I'll look for the box set instead of just the one album.

Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Seppuku on Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:32 pm

Thanks for the PM on The Pop Group's Y, Carolian. That question was just hanging there begging for someone to answer it. I actually went in that shop and bought it yesterday, just before I read your reply, so THAT's synchronicity.

On first listen, I noticed weird hints of this band, but I think I'll probably end up liking this even more.

Oh and guess who else has an original version of Metal Box...

Jah Wobble's grandma. And me!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Seppuku on Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:44 am

This thread reminded me to give Scritti Politti's Cupid&Psyche 85 another listen. I'll admit, at first I wrote it off as 80's power-pop trash, but listening to it again I think I might actually quite like it. There are tiny little hints of his new wave background here- mostly just the occasional weird off-kilter synth flourish (like on Wood Beez) that would probably jibe with the kind of music that was hitting the charts at the time. And Gartside's voice is so relaxed and unique that I find it hard to hate this music.

Maybe it was just 80s chart music made for pretentious alternative fans (back when the word alternative didn't have brackets around it), but it did its job well.

Also been listening to a lot of Go-Betweens and Galaxie 500, but I guess that's more proto-indie than post-punk, so I'll stick for now. I will just say that I think KCBC would love Galaxie if he hasn't already heard them- Thurston Moore named their first album his favourite album of that year.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby tapehead on Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:47 am

I remember a Miles Davis interview where he gave props - 'That Scritti Politti's a MotherFucker' or words to that effect.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Seppuku on Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:42 am

tapehead wrote:I remember a Miles Davis interview where he gave props - 'That Scritti Politti's a MotherFucker' or words to that effect.

Coming from Miles, that is PROPS. I mean if Miles actually forced that gravel pit that is his vocal chords to rattle your name out, well you've pretty much justified your life, you can die there and then a satisfied man.

He covered Perfect Way I think. Never heard his version, but that sounds like an insane song. Imma go do a bit of soul seeking, and see if I can't find that cover...erm within me.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:13 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Also been listening to a lot of Go-Betweens

my fave critics love 'em, Sleater-Kinney loved 'em, but I tried, and they didn't do much for me. One of those bands that I'll 'prolly try to listen to again couple of years from now...

seppukudkurosawa wrote:and Galaxie 500, but I guess that's more proto-indie than post-punk, so I'll the one I desire for now. I will just say that I think KCBC would love Galaxie if he hasn't already heard them- Thurston Moore named their first album his favourite album of that year.

good 'ol slowcore stalwarts. I don't have their first in its entirety, but what I do have I like. Loved their cover of "Listen the Snow is Falling".

kinda preferred Luna, especially the live album...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Music