Primal Scream - The thread

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Primal Scream - The thread

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:13 am

Well, KC asked me if I wouldn't mind reviewing Primal Screams latest foray into that popular format known as the album. So to celebrate the release of "Riot City Blues", I'm dedicating a thread to the Scream.

My first Primal Scream album was "Vanishing Point", I'd just passed my driving test and saw it in my local supermarket, it leapt out at me with its avant garde/experimental filmesque cover and the purchase was made leading me into their world. These guys are as truly seeped in the essence of rock and roll hedonism as cigarettes leave insipid nasty yellow nicotine in every pore of your body. Sure Keith Richards may be pickled in it, but these guys are getting there.

So, we have a band through which all your vicarious thrills can be lived and they do it for you on the mere price of their albums and concerts.

Now, "Riot City Blues" is your rawkous whiskey and cigarettes blues, an "Exile on Mainstreat" for the Brit naughties. It ain't nihlist, anarchic, hedonistic, political or even angry, but it can be extremely filthy (Track 7 , Boogie disease). Its the sound of a band determined to have a good time (track 8, Dolls), to sound positive and rejoice in the heritage of the blues and its colourful past.

Suffering never sounded so good as when shared as a social event. A healthy dose of blues catharsism recommended for all.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Seppuku on Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:03 pm

No responses? Ingrates. I guess I'm more of a fan of Screamadelica era PS, but I've given every stage of their a career a shot. XTRMNTR's a good one too, Swastika Eyes and Kill All Hippies are classics. I bought Vanishing Point when it came out, very dubby- it's like they took the concept of Screamadelica, with the high and the comedown, and just got rid of the high part. Or maybe not, it's been about four years since I last listened to it, when a good chunk of my CD Collection was looted by a former friend of mine. Well don't worry if no one's posted yet magicmonkey, you've at least reminded me to rebuy Vanishing Point. That's something, right?

I once met Bobby Gillespie in Glastonbury. I managed to climb over a fence to get backstage at the Pyramid Tent, and he was the first person I bumped into. I said, "I loved you when you drummed for the Jesus and Mary Chain dude!". And I guess he was pleasantly surprised that someone remembered that, but I added, "Oh yeah, and Primal Scream are good too..." If you ask me, I think he was pretty tweaked at the time, although I've got no idea what he was taking, but then again I wasn't exactly sober myself, otherwise I would never have climbed that fence.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:09 pm

They'll be playing a selection of their new songs and some old stuff in a live lounge type thing on Janice Long's show on Radio2 tonight. they broadcast it on the hyper global mega net too, and they have a listen again feature which means, quite obviously that you can 'listen again' later if you miss it. Just in case you missed the adverts...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:34 pm

Well, just when I thought the thread had died a death.

Vanishing Point is worth it for Burning Wheel alone, a magnificent track. I'm sure you'll be able to find it cheap somewhere Sep. Also, I got the extra dub version of it too, Ekodek I think it was, why are all my Cd's in the UK? Argrgrgrggg.

TBLS, thanks for the tip off, will exercise that listen again function at the next possible opportunity. Wow, radio 2, I guess they won't be playing anything from XTMNTR then...
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Return to Music