The Zone's Fantasy Band

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby EWS on Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:11 pm

My Group:

Drums

Zack Starkey - Oasis

Son of the famous Ringo Starr, the guy is just a legend on drums. He makes it seem so effortless whilst retaining the ultimate in drumming beats. Has played with Oasis (where I believe he is still their drummer) and was also on tour with The Who. Being the son of one of the most famous drummers in the world is hard enough, but actually being a drummer and making it in his own way is just as tough. He walks into my line-up.

Bass

OX - Lordi

How could I make a supergroup and not include someone from Lordi? The guy is an awesome bassist, and what makes it even harder is the full gear that he wears while playing. Just listen to the bass riffs, sit back and smile. Truely great. Ever tried playing a Bass with pyrotechnics attached to it?

Rhythm Guitar

Johnny Cash - Johnny Cash and the Tennesee Two/Three.

This was actually a rather difficult one for me because there are so many great guitarists that could have fitted here. Bit I chose Mr Cash because he is a Rhythm Guitarist. Look up the chords and listen to the songs and you will see that Johnny didn't play the little riffs, he just backed them up. Luther Perkins played the main riffs, the solos and such on his song, and it was backed up with the song Luther Played the Boogie. Johnny was a great guitarist, and probably the greatest Rock and Roll Country star there has ever been.

Lead Guitar

Zack Wilde - Ozzy Osbourne and Black Label Society

I have had the supreme pleasure of seeing Zack in concert before and he has to go down as one of the greatest guitarists I have ever seen. I mean, he can play ripping solos with his teeth, and behind his back as well - though not at the same time. He has so much energy and passion, it's just brilliant.

To be honest, this was the hardest one, there are so many guitarists here that would fit so well. Slash, Eric Clapton, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Roy Orbison, Paul McCartney, Any of the guitarists from Iron Maiden, Jools Holland, Paul Weller, Pete Townshend. All absolutly amazing guitarists, but I think Zack Pips it just for the awesomeness of playing a guitar solo with your teeth...just fantastic.

Vocals

[i]Jón Þór “Jónsiâ€
monorail77 wrote:I officially vote EWS as way fucking coolest guy in the Zone

You know it makes sense!
Find out why
Remember, your new thread always belongs somewhere else!
EWS
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby papalazeru on Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:26 pm

For me

Guitars - Enrique Granados and Satriani
Piano 1 & 2 - Franz Lizst & Fred Chopin.
Percussion - John Cage
Manuscript - John Williams (with a little help for Motifs by the pianists)
Brass - Anyone in a Danny Elfman score
Strings - Vanessa Mae (Eye candy) & Bond (More eye candy)

All accompanied by male and female (Eye candy for everyone) strippers set in the Mos Eisley Bar.

oh yeah....Drums....Phil Collins (hes cheap and it'll beat his social security money)
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby mistertim on Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:40 pm

on Lead Guitar: Mr Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth
on Rhythm Guitar and Vocals: Mr Stephen Malkmus of Pavement
on Drums: Mr Greg Saunier of Deerhoof
on Keyboards and Vocals: Mr Owen Ashworth of Casiotone for the Painfully Alone
also on Keyboards: Ms Delia Derbyshire of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, Mr Holger Czukay and Mr Bobby Orlando
"That's why they sent me I am an expert."
mistertim
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby minstrel on Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:59 pm

The Vicar wrote:
Iconoclastica wrote:
unikrunk wrote:[quot e="Lurker Johnson"]
AtomicHyperbole wrote:I was hoping for some Zoner band...

Like...

John Locke on Drums
KCBC on bass
DennisMM on guitars
Iconny on Vocals

And MasterWhedon for the lightshow.

I was thinking the same thing! Except I would have added <b>unikrunk</b> on piano. Cause he's fruity like that.

Perfect, and Lurker can play the Meat Flute.

hahaha just saw this . . . damn, that would be the most awesome set of misfits . . . what would it be, sort of punk band, rock, acoustic, or folkie? . . . either way, "Phantom Zoners" would make a damn fine name for a band if the rights aren't unattainable :wink:

Well then, sod it. Let's put together our own true Zoners Band.

I can write lyrics, some tunes and mangle guitar, keyboards & bass if need be.
Sing some too.
How about the rest of you simple f#cks?
Step up and be counted, if you be not all miscreant...[/quote]

I chose my Zone name because I can sing and play guitar. Both pretty decently, when I get a chance to warm up. I can write music, but I'm not much good at lyrics - I get so damn self-conscious when I try to write them.

While I can solo ok on my Stratocaster, I prefer to play acoustic, either six or twelve string. I'll leave it to others to blow out the speakers.
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby mistertim on Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:19 pm

i can play guitar passably and piss around with electronics marginally better...
mistertim
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby sleepflower on Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:27 pm

papalazeru wrote:Percussion - John Cage

The guy from Mortal Kombat?
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:33 pm

sleepflower wrote:
papalazeru wrote:Percu ssion - John Cage

The guy from Mortal Kombat?

Anybody who wants John Cage in his band will be making noise, not actual music. Cage is interesting for ten minutes. I wouldn't call him an actual musician, more of a sound artist. Maybe even a philosopher of noise. But not a musician.
minstrel

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:22 pm

mistertim wrote:on Lead Guitar: Mr Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth
on Rhythm Guitar and Vocals: Mr Stephen Malkmus of Pavement

heh, when they toured together for Lollapalooza 5, SM would come out and sing on "Expressway to Yr. Skull".

Stereogum reported that he joined them onstage at Bonnaroo as well, and that Ibold was playing bass for SY!?!

I don't recommend this new Malkmus track, METS to Infinity, but if you're a completest freak like I am and have to have it, well, there it is.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:42 pm

Do we have any Zoners who can play drum/percussion, or something tasty like a sax or a flute?
Come on.
Think of the touring.
The groupies.
And other stuff.

Did I mention the groupies?
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:58 pm

I used to be a sax man, but my lung capacity just ain't what it used to be.

if you need someone to wheeze tho', I'm your man.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:28 pm

Always wanted to learn sax.
Listening Dick Parry on those Pink Floyd albums used to was so sweet.
You can play Wheeze Sax.
We'll be the only band with a wheeze saxer.
The Vicar

Postby wonkabar on Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:32 pm

Men at Work...bustn' the sax and the flute baby
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby mistertim on Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:50 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:heh, when they toured together for Lollapalooza 5, SM would come out and sing on "Expressway to Yr. Skull".

Aah! why do i have to be to young to know about this?

that must have been incredible... I heard rumours that Pavement might reform to play ATP (UK Festival) in December this year - It's curated by Thurston, so SY will be headlining. I clearly need to go, Pavement or no Pavement.

Thanks for the link btw...
mistertim
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Brocktune on Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:40 pm

mistertim wrote:that must have been incredible... I heard rumours that Pavement might reform to play ATP (UK Festival) in December this year - It's curated by Thurston, so SY will be headlining. I clearly need to go, Pavement or no Pavement.

yeah dude, you should definitely go.

they tried to do an ATP over here in los angeles a couple of years ago. it was to be curated by matt groening (yes, creator of the simpsons). usually when they have these festival type of shows over here, i dont go. as i have said before, there are always only a small handful of bands that i would be interested in seeing, compared to the majority of the bands being ones that i dont give a shit about. and it aint worth the price or the hassle. but the lineup that old matt g. had planned was staggering. in one weekend, at three different clubs in l.a.: BUFFALO DAUGHTER!!, melvins, fantomas, wire, sonic youth WITH william winant!, the boredoms. fuck, i cant remember them all off the top of my head, but there were a ton more. buffalo daughter hasnt even played here in years, and they were going to come out for this one off. i had never purchased tickets for a "festival" so rapidly and enthusiastically. well, when i thought that it was too good to be true, it turned out it was, as (can you believe this) LOW TICKET SALES were responsible for its cancellation. i am jacks head exploding with rage. i am jacks deflated heart. i am jacks shaken confidence in my fellow human being.
low ticket sales.
huh.
people disgust me.

please, cherish your ATP festivals.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:42 pm

Brocktune wrote:
mistertim wrote:that must have been incredible... I heard rumours that Pavement might reform to play ATP (UK Festival) in December this year - It's curated by Thurston, so SY will be headlining. I clearly need to go, Pavement or no Pavement.

yeah dude, you should definitely go.

they tried to do an ATP over here in los angeles a couple of years ago. it was to be curated by matt groening (yes, creator of the simpsons). usually when they have these festival type of shows over here, i dont go. as i have said before, there are always only a small handful of bands that i would be interested in seeing, compared to the majority of the bands being ones that i dont give a shit about. and it aint worth the price or the hassle. but the lineup that old matt g. had planned was staggering. in one weekend, at three different clubs in l.a.: BUFFALO DAUGHTER!!, melvins, fantomas, wire, sonic youth WITH william winant!, the boredoms. fuck, i cant remember them all off the top of my head, but there were a ton more. buffalo daughter hasnt even played here in years, and they were going to come out for this one off. i had never purchased tickets for a "festival" so rapidly and enthusiastically. well, when i thought that it was too good to be true, it turned out it was, as (can you believe this) LOW TICKET SALES were responsible for its cancellation. i am jacks head exploding with rage. i am jacks deflated heart. i am jacks shaken confidence in my fellow human being.
low ticket sales.
huh.
people disgust me.

please, cherish your ATP festivals.

I thought they actually did end up having that, just not in L.A?

Could be wrong, but I coulda sworn I read a review about it...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:46 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:I thought they actually did end up having that, just not in L.A?

well, they did end up having it, but they had to move both the location, and the dates.
consequently as a result of the date change every single band i wanted to see wasnt able to play.
it seemed like it was just a shallow husk of the festival that would have been, so i totally shined it.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:53 pm

Brocktune wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:I thought they actually did end up having that, just not in L.A?

well, they did end up having it, but they had to move both the location, and the dates.
consequently as a result of the date change every single band i wanted to see wasnt able to play.
it seemed like it was just a shallow husk of the festival that would have been, so i totally shined it.

heh, yeah, the review was pretty inflammatory and mentioned how the event was more mainstream than MG's original lineup.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bean on Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:55 pm

Guitar: Jimmy Page
Bass: John Paul Jones
Drums: John Bonham
Vocals: Robert Plant

Oh wait... that's all ready a band! The greatest band of all time :wink
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:01 pm

David Gilmour and/or Mark Knopfler(sp?) on guitar would be my most adament request

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby minstrel on Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:24 pm

Peven wrote:David Gilmour and/or Mark Knopfler(sp?) on guitar would be my most adament request

Absolutely! Those guys are just about the greatest guitarists around.

Why do all the best guitarists come from the UK?
minstrel

Postby so sorry on Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:26 pm

minstrel wrote:Absolutely! Those guys are just about the greatest guitarists around.

good question.

There, feel better?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:31 pm

minstrel wrote:
Peven wrote:David Gilmour and/or Mark Knopfler(sp?) on guitar would be my most adament request

I didn't respond 'cuz I was angry at the statement itself.

Hendrix. Albert King. Chuck Berry. Thurston Moore. Doug Martsch.

But mostly Hendrix. Best. Guitarist. EVAR!!!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:36 pm

Although Hendrix did have to GO to the U.K. to jump-start his career.

Born in Seattle, wasn't he?
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby minstrel on Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:40 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
minstrel wrote:

See? This is what I'm on about! I made a statement intended to provoke a discussion of great guitarists, and you decided NOT to post, because you disagreed with me. That was the exact opposite of the behavior I expected. Generally, around here, if someone disagrees with you, they slam you down pretty damn hard.

Anyway, Hendrix I'll grant you, even though I'm not his biggest fan. Albert King is outstanding, but I wouldn't say he's one of the greatest. Berry is highly influential, but limited, kinda like Bo Diddley is limited. Same with Moore. I've never heard Doug Martsch.

I'd counter with Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Pete Townshend, Richard Thompson, Robert Fripp, Jimmy Page. Also riffmeister Keith Richards.
minstrel

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:41 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:Although Hendrix did have to GO to the U.K. to jump-start his career.

Born in Seattle, wasn't he?

indeed.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:49 pm

minstrel wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
minstrel wrote:

See? This is what I'm on about! I made a statement intended to provoke a discussion of great guitarists, and you decided NOT to post, because you disagreed with me. That was the exact opposite of the behavior I expected. Generally, around here, if someone disagrees with you, they slam you down pretty damn hard.

hey, you're entitled to express your opinion. At least here, we've tried to foster the practice of "slamming" the opinion, not the person.

minstrel wrote:Anyway, Hendrix I'll grant you, even though I'm not his biggest fan. Albert King is outstanding, but I wouldn't say he's one of the greatest. Berry is highly influential, but limited, kinda like Bo Diddley is limited. Same with Moore. I've never heard Doug Martsch.

YOU SCUM! :lol: :wink:

minstrel wrote:I'd counter with Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Pete Townshend, Richard Thompson, Robert Fripp, Jimmy Page. Also riffmeister Keith Richards.

Clapton, Page and Richards all jacked the great bluesmen (all from the U.S., mind you) that came before them.

I could start in on some of the others, I could throw out some other names, but where does it get us?

Though you would have scored points by name dropping the Mahavishnu himself, Mr. John McLaughlin...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:11 pm

Best guitarists, eh? (In no partiklar order)...

Glenn Branca http://www.glennbranca.com/
Rhys Chatham http://www.rhyschatham.com/
John Fahey
Bill Harkleroad (aka Zoot Horn Rolo -- Captain Beefheart's guitarist)
Thurston Moore
Lee Renaldo
Steve Albini
Adrian Belew
Robert Fripp
Carlos Alomar
Jimi Hendrix
Frank Zappa
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:28 pm

Good list Zombie.

I'd add these folks in as well:

Mark Ribot
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Vernon Reid
Duane Allman

But Frank, Belew and Albini are way up there on my list!
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby minstrel on Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:32 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
minstrel wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
minstrel wrote:

hey, you're entitled to express your opinion. At least here, we've tried to foster the practice of "slamming" the opinion, not the person.

minstrel wrote:Anyway, Hendrix I'll grant you, even though I'm not his biggest fan. Albert King is outstanding, but I wouldn't say he's one of the greatest. Berry is highly influential, but limited, kinda like Bo Diddley is limited. Same with Moore. I've never heard Doug Martsch.

YOU SCUM! :lol: :wink:

minstrel wrote:I'd counter with Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Pete Townshend, Richard Thompson, Robert Fripp, Jimmy Page. Also riffmeister Keith Richards.

Clapton, Page and Richards all jacked the great bluesmen (all from the U.S., mind you) that came before them.

I could start in on some of the others, I could throw out some other names, but where does it get us?

Though you would have scored points by name dropping the Mahavishnu himself, Mr. John McLaughlin...

Actually, I was saving John McLaughlin for the second barrage, if one was needed. I was limiting my first list to rock guys, or at least, basically rock guys. While McLaughlin has blown out speakers in the past, a great deal of his career has been spent in Indian-influenced acoustic settings, which are a different musical space entirely.

Maybe I should have limited the entire discussion to rock and its more direct antecedents. If we include jazz and country, my original statement is on much shakier ground.

Sure, Clapton, Page and Richards copped stuff from the earlier American bluesmen. No argument, and fair comment. But so did Hendrix, and basically all the American rock guys you mentioned.

Maybe I should have said that a disproportionate number of the best guitarists come from the UK. Their influence far outstrips their size, if you know what I mean.
minstrel

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:23 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:Good list Zombie.

I'd add these folks in as well:

Mark Ribot
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Vernon Reid
Duane Allman

But Frank, Belew and Albini are way up there on my list!

Thanks, man! And, oh dang, I forgot Ribot! Noice!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Spartan on Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:12 pm

Guitar - Johnny Greenwood
Bass - Colin Moulding
Keyboards - Ray Manzarek
Rhythm Guitar - Hetfield, perhaps
Vocal - Morrissey (ok I can understand why that seems a little perverse, but I love his lyrics and his delivery of them is immaculate)
Spartan
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:22 pm

Drummers:

Omar Hakim
Manu Katche
Neil Peart (admit it goddamn it!!)
Buddy Rich
Terry "Ted" Bozzio
Bun "E" Carlos (again.. just accept it)
and finally, Chris Sharrock who was the drummer for Icicle Works. I spent a shitload of time as a teen trying to play his part on "Whisper To A Sceam", at speed, for it's entire length. It's a workout!
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby minstrel on Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:13 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:Drummers:

Omar Hakim
Manu Katche
Neil Peart (admit it goddamn it!!)
Buddy Rich
Terry "Ted" Bozzio
Bun "E" Carlos (again.. just accept it)
and finally, Chris Sharrock who was the drummer for Icicle Works. I spent a shitload of time as a teen trying to play his part on "Whisper To A Sceam", at speed, for it's entire length. It's a workout!

I suppose Buddy Rich has to top everybody's list. I agree with everyone on this list, except I've never heard Chris Sharrock. I'd add:

Carl Palmer
Bill Bruford
Barriemore Barlow (with Jethro Tull in the 70s)
minstrel

Postby Seppuku on Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:26 pm

I was just listening to the Clash song, Garageland ("There's twenty-two singers! But one microphone/
There's five guitar players! But one guitar") and I found myself getting all dewey-eyed about this thread.

So, without further ado:

Fantasy Band Mark III!

Guitar: Sir Richard Bishop (Sun City Girls) & John Fahey.

Bass: Paul Simonon (Clash) miming over Martyn Casey's (Bad Seeds) actual bass-playing. Also, I'll throw Danny Thompson in there on Double Bass.

Drums: Yoshimi-P (Ex-member of the Boredoms)

Singer: For the Squeeze style hi-lo dual-vocal effect, I'll have Pentangle singer Jacqui McShee's soaring vocals interlacing with Mark Lanegan's growling.

Name? I'll let them borrow my band's name, Sin Agog.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:29 pm

Cool thread.

I'd have to think on the rest, but for the drummer it's no question: Keith Moon.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:50 pm

Drums - Damon Che / Zach Hill
Guitar 1 - Omar Rodriguez-Lopez
Guitar 2 - Geoff Farina
Bass - Matt Tennessen / Johnny Greenwood
Vocals - Nina Persson

And DJ Dexta for good measure. I have no idea what this would sound like.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby minstrel on Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:17 pm

DaleTremont wrote:Cool thread.

I'd have to think on the rest, but for the drummer it's no question: Keith Moon.

Sounds like a damned exciting band so far! Any rhythm section that starts with Keith Moon is going to get my heart pumping, anyway.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel

Postby The Vicar on Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:23 pm

minstrel wrote:

Sounds like a damned exciting band so far! Any rhythm section that starts with Keith Moon is going to get my heart pumping, anyway.

Man could slap the skins silly, and that's no joke.
The Who seemed to get a bit.....boring without The Moon Man.
The Vicar

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:26 pm

minstrel wrote:

If you like Keith Moon you should track down Circus. It was a BBC television special from 1968 featuring performances from Marianne Faithful, Taj Mahal, The Rolling Stones, and THE WHO!! Watching Keith Moon drum is a trip- he's in his own zone when he gets going. It's transcendental, incendiary- all the rock n' roll cliches but in his case, no way in fuck is it an act.

Oh and watching the Rolling Stones perform Sympathy For The Devil isn't bad either :wink:

can you handle the circus
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby minstrel on Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:26 pm

The Vicar wrote:
minstrel wrote:[quote="DaleTremont" ]Cool thread.

Man could slap the skins silly, and that's no joke.
The Who seemed to get a bit.....boring without The Moon Man.[/quote]

Just listen to Live At Leeds. That was a glorious noise he and Entwistle made. What a rush!
minstrel

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:29 pm

Or watch 200 Motels. Not a Who movie (it's Zappa), but it does feature Moon dressed as a nun cavorting with two topless groupies.

He was truly a madman. But a talented one!
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby The Vicar on Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:32 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:Or watch 200 Motels. Not a Who movie (it's Zappa), but it does feature Moon dressed as a nun cavorting with two topless groupies.

He was truly a madman. But a talented one!

Oh yeah.
On both points.
The Vicar

Postby Zarles on Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:43 pm

I'll keep it somewhat real by putting together some people that I've actually seen play together, although not always at the same time -

Bass - Mike Watt
Guitars - Nels Cline & John Frusciante
Percussion - Stephen Perkins
Keys - Money Mark Nashita
Horns - The Dap-Tones
Vocals - Peaches

With the exception of Frusciante, I've seen the first four of those people play together as Banyan, come to think of it. Hmm.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:51 pm

minstrel wrote:

Damon Che and Zach Hill don't wet your whistle?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby minstrel on Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:11 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
minstrel wrote:[qu ote="DaleTremont"]Cool thread.

Damon Che and Zach Hill don't wet your whistle?[/quote]

Well, they're both good drummers. Damon Che is much more creative than Zach Hill though. They are both hampered by the following two facts:

1. Their music sucks.
2. Their guitarists are utterly worthless. Both of them need to practice for another ten years before they're worthy to be on stage with those drummers.
minstrel

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:16 pm

Guitar- Mick Ronson
Bass- Sid Vicious
Vocals- Iggy Pop
Backup Vocals- Nico
Tambourine- Yoko Ono

My fantasy band is all about style.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:17 pm

minstrel wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
minstrel wrote:

Damon Che and Zach Hill don't wet your whistle?

Well, they're both good drummers. Damon Che is much more creative than Zach Hill though. They are both hampered by the following two facts:

1. Their music sucks.
2. Their guitarists are utterly worthless. Both of them need to practice for another ten years before they're worthy to be on stage with those drummers.

Zach need people to reel him in quite a bit. He is better in Marnie Stern about that.

Damon Che has some of the best start/stop/shifting rythms in modern music.

As for the music. I can understand not liking it. Math rock is a very particular type of music thats based more on staccato guitar work than typical chords and such.

Ian Williams in Don Caballero is quite good guitarist though and has proven himself in other bands as well, Battles being the other major band.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby The Vicar on Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:24 pm

DaleTremont wrote:Guitar- Mick Ronson
Bass- Sid Vicious
Vocals- Iggy Pop
Backup Vocals- Nico
Tambourine- Yoko Ono

There's some old school voodoo in that line up.
Very nice.
The Vicar

Postby minstrel on Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:45 pm

The Vicar wrote:
Bass- Sid Vicious
Vocals- Iggy Pop
Backup Vocals- Nico
Tambourine- Yoko Ono

Very nice.

Sorta hard to take seriously when the only percussion is Yoko Ono's tambourine.
minstrel

Postby The Vicar on Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:22 pm

minstrel wrote:
The Vicar wrote:
Bass- Sid Vicious
Vocals- Iggy Pop
Backup Vocals- Nico
Tambourine- Yoko Ono

Very nice.

Sorta hard to take seriously when the only percussion is Yoko Ono's tambourine.

This is true.
How about throwing a madman like Jamie Muir in on percussion?
He'd fit right in.
The Vicar

PreviousNext

Return to Music