I Want to buy my FIRST Metallica album! Recommendations!

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Which Mettalica is the best INTRO album?

Kill 'Em All
1
10%
Jump In The Fire [1984]
0
No votes
Ride The Lightning [1984]
1
10%
Creeping Death [1984]
0
No votes
Master Of Puppets [1986]
5
50%
Garage Days Re-Visited [1987]
0
No votes
And Justice For All [1988]
0
No votes
Black Album [1991]
1
10%
Load [1996]
0
No votes
ReLoad [1997]
0
No votes
Garage Inc. [1998]
0
No votes
S&M [1999]
1
10%
St. Anger [2003]
1
10%
 
Total votes : 10

I Want to buy my FIRST Metallica album! Recommendations!

Postby silentbobafett on Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:06 am

Heard their stuff on and off through out my life, one of those things you think about looking into but never do.

Got Some Kind of MOnster, ain't seen it yet, but saw Paradise Lost and thought there music was well emotional! So now want to give them ago.

What album should I try?

I'm gonna get the one which most people agree as to being their best!
Last edited by silentbobafett on Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2246
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: In The Night Garden...

Postby doglips on Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:10 am

Not a huge Metallica fan by any means, but here is their discography, you should put a poll up.

If I had to go for one, probs The Black Album. You need Eric G on this topic.
Last edited by doglips on Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
doglips
MOD FAIRY
 
Posts: 6288
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:08 am

Postby tfactor on Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:18 am

ok first of all never ever spend any fucking money on metallica music, don't you remember how those fuckers tried to stick it to napster? I know it's 4am (here anyway) but come on people

fuck metallica
User avatar
tfactor
KING SMARMY
 
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:45 pm
Location: Gridlock

Postby silentbobafett on Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:30 am

Aaaahhh now that is interesting. I didn't know they tried to stop Napster and the MP3 REVOLUTION!!! RAAAHHHHHHAAAAA!!!!!

However, if the musics good its till worth listening to!

I am qutie vocal on my views of piracy and MP3's and I can't be assed to go into them here, HOWEVER, I did see an aweseom South Park the other day where the guys get shown what happens to music artists etc when people "steal" the songs on the internet:

1: Mettallica didn't their golden swimming pool

2: Britney Spears has the Lear Jet whichis one down fromt he top model

and

3) some Rapper can't buy his son a tropical island for his 8th birthday

Fucking excellent! This is exactly how I feel!

Ha ha

But I still want a Metallica album!
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2246
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: In The Night Garden...

Postby tfactor on Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:30 am

from hair band
Image

to jesus fish on their volkswagens
Image

nuff said
User avatar
tfactor
KING SMARMY
 
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:45 pm
Location: Gridlock

Postby silentbobafett on Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:32 am

thats too fucking funny! Is that last one even real!!!!!

:-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2246
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: In The Night Garden...

Postby buster00 on Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:32 am

Master of Puppets or ...And Justice for All.
User avatar
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6401
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:12 pm

Postby doglips on Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:33 am

tfactor wrote:Image


They'd still beat you in a fight Trev.

And when did Eric G join Metallica anyway? :P
User avatar
doglips
MOD FAIRY
 
Posts: 6288
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:08 am

Postby tfactor on Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:34 am

ok fine :x if I have to suggest something And Justice for All gets my vote ... but I'm not happy about it and I still say you should pirate that shit like one eyed willy :wink:
User avatar
tfactor
KING SMARMY
 
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:45 pm
Location: Gridlock

Postby silentbobafett on Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:35 am

Cheers Buster... anyone else agree, disagree!?! Other rec's.... the most votes win mofo!
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2246
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: In The Night Garden...

Postby silentbobafett on Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:36 am

How do I add a Poll now that the topic has already started?
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2246
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: In The Night Garden...

Postby tfactor on Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:37 am

silentbobafett wrote:How do I add a Poll now that the topic has already started?


edit the original post that you started this thread with
User avatar
tfactor
KING SMARMY
 
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:45 pm
Location: Gridlock

Postby tfactor on Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:39 am

I better see some Quiet Riot on that poll

I'm breaking out my old bandanas :shock:
User avatar
tfactor
KING SMARMY
 
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:45 pm
Location: Gridlock

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:40 am

And Justice For All and Black Album are my two faves.
Image
User avatar
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked
 
Posts: 17641
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:18 pm
Location: Pasture next to the Red Barn

Postby mister six on Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:51 am

Although I agree with tfactor's sentiment (nice 2nd pic :lol: ), Metallica have produced some of the best metal there is.
Choosing ONE album is hard as the first four all have classic tracks that shouldn't be missed! You know what I say? They've made enough money - torrent the whole f*ckin lot!!

MOD EDIT: NO TORRENT LINKS ALLOWED SORRY - JL

Oops! Sorry... :oops:
Last edited by mister six on Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
mister six
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:48 am
Location: uk

Postby Proinsias on Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:16 am

..And justice for all. Fast, heavy and playing tighter than a shockingly puckered up cats arsehole.
Proinsias
REAL DRAGON
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:30 am
Location: Surveillance Central

Postby unikrunk on Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:18 am

Ride

The

Lightning

But do yourself a solid, and forget this nonsense, and pick up some Sabbath instead.

Or even better, go get the album Age of Winters, from The Sword:

The Sword
He can't' love you back...
Image
User avatar
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4845
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:48 am

Postby silentbobafett on Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:16 am

lookin gud guys!
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2246
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: In The Night Garden...

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:11 am

Black Album was really their first commercial album - it's also the one where they kinda changed from being fairly hardcore to a mix of hardcore and radio friendly heavy rock...

so depends if you want an album where you can easily recognize and latch onto the songs - or if you want an album where they were the true, original, "ass-kickers" of metal...

either way - just get Nazareth's greatest hits and put Hair of the Dog on a continuous loop...

now that's fucking rock music...
User avatar
havocSchultz
is full of stars...
 
Posts: 15695
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:46 am
Location: living amongst a hazy nothing...

Postby vicious_bastard on Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:15 am

mister six wrote:Although I agree with tfactor's sentiment (nice 2nd pic :lol: ), Metallica have produced some of the best metal there is.
Choosing ONE album is hard as the first four all have classic tracks that shouldn't be missed! You know what I say? They've made enough money - torrent the whole f*ckin lot!!

MOD EDIT: NO TORRENT LINKS ALLOWED SORRY - JL


Posting links to torrents is asking for trouble, but if it will piss off that gentleman Lars Ulrich then I think an exception could be made this once.
User avatar
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2215
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:43 pm
Location: London

Postby Fievel on Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:58 am

And Justice For All.

NAPSTER BAAAAD!!!! (anyone remember that internet toon?)
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 12158
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Postby Vegeta on Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:11 am

They only have three excellent albums:

Ride the Lightning
Master of Puppets
...And Justice for All

The Black Album is okay, but definetly the bridge from excellent metal to full out crap like Load/St. Anger.
User avatar
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY
 
Posts: 6274
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:22 am
Location: U.S.S.A.

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:23 am

tfactor wrote:from hair band
Image

to jesus fish on their volkswagens
Image

nuff said



That is.........cruel :wink:
User avatar
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1369
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:55 pm

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:29 am

MASTER OF PUPPETS is really all you need. Its arguably the best metal
album ever... next to BLACK SABBATH's SABOTAGE, of course...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2467
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:28 pm

Postby Petri on Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:51 am

Get S&M, it will expose you to a wide variety of Metallica ranging from the metal of Ride the Lightning and ...And Justice for All to the almost pop of Load and Reload.

Then you can decide what sound you like better and go from there.
Image
User avatar
Petri
REAL DRAGON
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:38 am
Location: Katy, TX

Postby mister six on Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:31 pm

Vegeta wrote:They only have three excellent albums:

Ride the Lightning
Master of Puppets
...And Justice for All

The Black Album is okay, but definetly the bridge from excellent metal to full out crap like Load/St. Anger.


You have to add Kill 'Em All surely?
Metallica at their rawest...Seek & Destroy, Whiplash and of course No Remorse. :twisted:
User avatar
mister six
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:48 am
Location: uk

Postby Shane on Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:36 pm

I have a suggestion and it wouldn't be paying money to metallica for making that crap they make now.
User avatar
Shane
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2476
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:28 pm
Location: Kansas City

Postby silentbobafett on Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:41 pm

and justice for all seems to be the winner so far

I'll leave this open for a couple of days!
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2246
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: In The Night Garden...

Postby Brocktune on Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:17 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:MASTER OF PUPPETS is really all you need. Its arguably the best metal
album ever... next to BLACK SABBATH's SABOTAGE, of course...


my sentimonies exactly!
Image
User avatar
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6490
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: Pico & Sepulveda

Postby St. Alphonzo on Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:19 pm

Master Of Puppets is the only way to go. "Disposable Heroes" has always been my favorite metal song.
ImageImage
User avatar
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint
 
Posts: 2060
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:20 pm
Location: Stumptown

Postby Man-in-the-Box on Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:31 pm

Their covers on the Garage Days Re-visited EP were fun, and not to be completely overlooked; however, IMO, Puppets and Justice are their best.
I'm not with Cowbell, he's with me.
User avatar
Man-in-the-Box
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1873
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:15 am
Location: The Box, duh.

Postby Man-in-the-Box on Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:34 pm

Somone mentioned getting S&M in order to get a taste of old and new. That's a good idea, but I would reccommend Garage Inc. for that purpose.
I'm not with Cowbell, he's with me.
User avatar
Man-in-the-Box
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1873
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:15 am
Location: The Box, duh.

Postby Petri on Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:38 pm

Man-in-the-Box wrote:Somone mentioned getting S&M in order to get a taste of old and new. That's a good idea, but I would reccommend Garage Inc. for that purpose.


Well those are two different routes. Garage Inc. is a collection of their cover songs while S&M is their live album (of their originals) played with the Symphony.
Image
User avatar
Petri
REAL DRAGON
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:38 am
Location: Katy, TX

Postby Man-in-the-Box on Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:53 pm

Petri wrote:
Man-in-the-Box wrote:Somone mentioned getting S&M in order to get a taste of old and new. That's a good idea, but I would reccommend Garage Inc. for that purpose.


Well those are two different routes. Garage Inc. is a collection of their cover songs while S&M is their live album (of their originals) played with the Symphony.

I see what your saying, but I still think that you get a better feel for the two seperate Mettalica eras from Garage Inc. I do like S&M, but I feel that the symphony is a distraction, and obviously a gimmick. It's not a Mettalica album that on a whim I say, "Hey, I think I'll listen to S&M". That being said, it has been a while, maybe I'll give it a spin.
I'm not with Cowbell, he's with me.
User avatar
Man-in-the-Box
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1873
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:15 am
Location: The Box, duh.

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:01 pm

I think older Metallica albums have dated quite badly in their sound.

It's not the songs, as recently recorded versions sound fine. Must just be the production of the time I suppose.
Last edited by Fried Gold on Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13930
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Postby Man-in-the-Box on Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:19 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I think older Metallica albums have dated quite badly in their sound.

It's not the songs, as recently recorded versions sound gine. Must just be the production of the time I suppose.

That's all gine and well, but... oh crap here we go again. You've been hangin' out with that other guy too much.
I'm not with Cowbell, he's with me.
User avatar
Man-in-the-Box
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1873
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:15 am
Location: The Box, duh.

Postby Petri on Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:23 pm

Man-in-the-Box wrote:
Petri wrote:
Man-in-the-Box wrote:Somone mentioned getting S&M in order to get a taste of old and new. That's a good idea, but I would reccommend Garage Inc. for that purpose.


Well those are two different routes. Garage Inc. is a collection of their cover songs while S&M is their live album (of their originals) played with the Symphony.

I see what your saying, but I still think that you get a better feel for the two seperate Mettalica eras from Garage Inc. I do like S&M, but I feel that the symphony is a distraction, and obviously a gimmick. It's not a Mettalica album that on a whim I say, "Hey, I think I'll listen to S&M". That being said, it has been a while, maybe I'll give it a spin.


Well I'm a sucker for live albums and I consider S&M to be one of the better live albums out there.
Image
User avatar
Petri
REAL DRAGON
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:38 am
Location: Katy, TX

Postby Man-in-the-Box on Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:27 pm

Fair enough Petri.
I'm not with Cowbell, he's with me.
User avatar
Man-in-the-Box
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1873
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:15 am
Location: The Box, duh.

Re: I Want to buy my FIRST Metallica album! Recommendations!

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:18 pm

silentbobafett wrote:Heard their stuff on and off through out my life, one of those things you think about looking into but never do.

Got Some Kind of MOnster, ain't seen it yet, but saw Paradise Lost and thought there music was well emotional! So now want to give them ago.

What album should I try?

I'm gonna get the one which most people agree as to being their best!


My recommendations...DON'T!

I can't stand Metallica.
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: I Want to buy my FIRST Metallica album! Recommendations!

Postby Petri on Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:25 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
silentbobafett wrote:H eard their stuff on and off through out my life, one of those things you think about looking into but never do.

Got Some Kind of MOnster, ain't seen it yet, but saw Paradise Lost and thought there music was well emotional! So now want to give them ago.

What album should I try?

I'm gonna get the one which most people agree as to being their best!


My recommendations...DON'T!

I can't stand Metallica.


Man you hate Metallica you hate Click. You're really serving up big helpings of that Hate Pie today.
Image
User avatar
Petri
REAL DRAGON
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:38 am
Location: Katy, TX

Re: I Want to buy my FIRST Metallica album! Recommendations!

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:31 pm

Petri wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:
s ilentbobafett wrote:H eard their stuff on and off through out my life, one of those things you think about looking into but never do.

Got Some Kind of MOnster, ain't seen it yet, but saw Paradise Lost and thought there music was well emotional! So now want to give them ago.

What album should I try?

I'm gonna get the one which most people agree as to being their best!


My recommendations...DON'T!

I can't stand Metallica.


Man you hate Metallica you hate Click. You're really serving up big helpings of that Hate Pie today.


I don't recall ever saying I hated CLICK...I said I hated Madea's Family Reunion, and I firmly stand by that.
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby Petri on Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:39 pm

Oops, got you mixed up with TheBaxter. My apologies.
Image
User avatar
Petri
REAL DRAGON
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:38 am
Location: Katy, TX

Postby raasnio on Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:40 pm

I say Master of Puppets.

Metallica may be lame these days, but they used to put out some good metal.
Image
User avatar
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:04 pm

Postby The Ginger Man on Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:53 pm

I say Ride the Lightning. It was my first Metallica album and I have nice memories. Although my tastes are much different these days.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle
 
Posts: 2883
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:35 am

Postby Vegeta on Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:19 pm

silentbobafett, you should toss a poll on this thread (hit your edit button on the original post) and us zoners will vote for which one you should get. In my opinion any of there 80's albums are really good. 8)
User avatar
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY
 
Posts: 6274
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:22 am
Location: U.S.S.A.

Postby cap on Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:44 pm

Vegeta wrote:silentbobafett, you should toss a poll on this thread (hit your edit button on the original post) and us zoners will vote for which one you should get. In my opinion any of there 80's albums are really good. 8)


Agreed. Probably best to start at the beginning though with Kill Em All
Image

Ambition - The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly
User avatar
cap
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: Over here.... In the Corner.... No Really!!!!

Postby mushookie on Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:49 pm

If you do, get a BC Rich Warlock guitar, and start playing!!!!!

Well, if you don't know how to play guitar, neither do I...just to make you feel better.


If you don't the album, there's always Black Sabbath, or even Dave Mathew's Band
Image
User avatar
mushookie
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:38 pm
Location: The land where Alice Cooper's "Frankenstien" will never be fed.

Postby Kilgore on Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:02 pm

I agree with the votes for Ride the Lightning. That's where it's at.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:33 pm

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:08 pm

Kill 'Em All. Start with the first one.

Then go right to Ride the Lightning and be blown away.
User avatar
ONeillSG1
ADAMA
 
Posts: 4738
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:23 am
Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Man-in-the-Box on Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:15 am

Skip the Mighty Met, and go straight for the hardcore shit...








































Wait for it...





























Image
I'm not with Cowbell, he's with me.
User avatar
Man-in-the-Box
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1873
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:15 am
Location: The Box, duh.

Next

Return to Music

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest