Sleater-Kinney Calls It Quits

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Sleater-Kinney Calls It Quits

Postby Brocktune on Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:24 pm

got this straight from the oficial Sleater-Kinney website


After eleven years as a band, Sleater-Kinney have decided to go on indefinite hiatus. The upcoming summer shows will be our last. As of now, there are no plans for future tours or recordings.
We feel lucky to have had the support of many wonderful people over the years. We want to thank everyone who has worked with us, written kind words about us, performed with us, and inspired us.
But mostly we want to extend our gratitude to our amazing fans. You have been a part of our story from the beginning. We could not have made our music without your enthusiasm, passion, and loyalty. It is you who have made the entire journey worthwhile.
With love and thanks,
Sleater-Kinney


i wonder what the deal is. my buddy said that they are splitting because their songs arent getting any radio play. but that sounds kind of like bollox to me. they have never been a mainstream or radio friendly band, so why would not having a hit single make them call it quits? i dont know. but i do know, i just heard the sound of a million hearts breaking.

r.i.p., sleater-kinney
Image
User avatar
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6490
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: Pico & Sepulveda

Re: Sleater-Kinney Calls It Quits

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:07 pm

Brocktune wrote:i dont know. but i do know, i just heard the sound of a million hearts breaking.r.i.p., sleater-kinney


no, no...that was just me. But that was only my initial reaction.

Look, I've (& we've) all been through band breakups before and I'm not talking in "the lose your drummer to some overdose / gardening accident death" and disband only to tour again years later to rake in the dumptrucks full of money that the concert promoters offer them...

Nothing, ever, will compare to my 16, 17yr. old self having to cope with the loss of his favorite band EVAR (at the time) Jane's Addiction. That was when I realized there was no God. Other subsequent developments in the music biz have shaken me, but nothing to the core like Perry and Navarro parting ways way back when (in retrospect, not really that great a loss...).

So yeah, that cry of anguish you heard coming approximately 550 miles north of you was me.
But then I reflected whilst I drove around listening to everything from Dig Me Out to The Woods (yeah, yeah, I know they had to albums before that, but they truly became the worlds best band when drummerette supreme Janet Weiss joined up on Dig Me Out)...really, what else did they have to prove / do?

From their origins as a rrrriottt ggggirrrlll punk outfit, to their embrace of the overtly political on their underappreciated The Hot Rock to the two absolutely devastating post 9/11 reaction songs (Far Away and Sympathy off of One Beat) to the classic rock sound of The Woods, this is a band that wasn't afraid of change, wasn't scared of losing their fanbase by changing their sound, wasn't in it for the videos, for the "sales" (tho' I'm sure they would have liked to have moved more units)...they were in it to MAKE MUSIC THAT MATTERED TO THEM.

I've seen S-K about 5 times, not once was I ever disappointed, not once did I feel they didn't bring their capital A game to a show...even during a 2pm set in Northhampton Mass, after a show hours away the night before, only perfroming 'cuz Kim and Thurston pleaded for them to show, they still brought it. If anything, they improved over the years, with Carrie changing from lesbian guitar goddess to one of the most charismatic axe slingers in rock, Janet morphing from amazing punk drummer to amazing drummer, period.

But it was always the voice of Corrin that kept me coming back for more.
Blessed with otherworldy pipes that could alternatively make the angels weep and give the devil pause, this spunky, 5'5'' punker had the one weapon most bands dream of...a voice that could make the hairs on your nape stand up in attention. And the way her and Carrie (arguably a better lyricist) would sing-along, sing-song and just overall nail the feel and dynamic of two female best friends in mid-conversation, over-lapping each other, dueling not so much for supremacy but rather to make themselves understood to each other, to the listener...not many bands pull off the dual singer dynamic, rarer still they do it with aplomb, with each voice registering, with each voice adding to the strength of the song.
Nevermind the interplay of Carrie's guitar and Corrin's voice...that's a thesis waiting to happen, and I don't have the time or the musical knowhow to even pay that proper respect.

Rock on ladies, live your lives as you see fit. Thanks for the memories, thanks for the words, thanks for the music that mattered.

do you see her face
when she's gone
sometimes so bright
your heart just stops

did she answer you
you're other half
you know they say
she comes just once

i am the girl
i am the ghost
i am the wife
i am the one

do you want to forget
live in the dark
was she just too close
to everything
S-K, "Jenny".

This music gig doesn't pay that good
but the fans are alright
S-K "Milkshake n' Honey"
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:15 pm

You know how it is; bands only last as long as the love is there, the glue,
the shit that made you put up with each other in the first place!

I reckon that maybe they feel the band has run its course and its time to
focus on different things... thats sucks for us, but I can't be mad at 'em;
they stuck at it for a good long time and gave us some kick ass songs...

Its a shame, but I'm not surprised; I'm way more surprised when bands I
like stay together!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2467
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:28 pm

Postby Theta on Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:19 pm

Too bad. Well, at least it's not one of them dead in a car crash/drug overdose/beaten to death by homophobes. There's still hope.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
User avatar
Theta
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2343
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:57 am
Location: Boston, MA

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:36 am

well, since not many responded the first time, I'll try again to muster interest in one of my fave bands ever.

http://www.electrip.com/sleater-kinney/index.html

bunch of mp3's of live stuff, covers and unreleased tracks and such.

I'm bitter they're not coming to SF to do a final show :evil:.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Sleater-Kinney Calls It Quits

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:15 am

So who the fuck are these guys anyway?
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

Image
User avatar
bastard_robo
SCANK BARON
 
Posts: 4636
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:59 am
Location: Hello Kitty Adventure Island

Re: Sleater-Kinney Calls It Quits

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:44 am

bastard_robo wrote:So who the fuck are these guys anyway?


Carrie Brownstein will fuck you up proper for ever referring to her as a "guy".

Best not to piss off a feminist lesbian, particularly one that swings a mean axe...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby sleepflower on Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:29 pm

Bands always seem to split just as I start to get into them and want to see them live...

Smashing Pumpkins, James and now Sleater Kinney. I still have their whole back catalogue to get through though knowing I will never see them live hurts.
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:10 pm

Postby unikrunk on Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:36 pm

It’s about time

Now, if only Le Tigre would follow suit...

/it’s over ladies, but it was fun while it sounded good, and carried a modicum of relevance.
He can't' love you back...
Image
User avatar
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4845
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:48 am

Postby Flumm on Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:46 pm

Ah, and so I was just reading over their page at wiki and listenig to links and all, and I can't help but notice that they had a video directed by Miranda July, star/writer/director of You And Me And Everyone We Know, which as coincidence would have it, I'm kinda revelling in at the moment, especially the soundtrack of the movie by Micheal Andrews, and the background of July as some all purpose, former songsmith and mutli medium artist type lady...

And both the twains meet without me tying the knot. Such a small world...


EDIT: Yeah, I guess it's kinda rude to talk about the video while it's in in the room...

Sleater-Kinney - Get Up (directed by Miranda July)
User avatar
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 5601
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:31 pm
Location: Yesteryonder

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:01 pm

i love sleater-kinney. i've seen them about 3 or 4 times before, and i'll be seeing them again (for possibly but hopefully not the last time) on Tuesday. they're one of the bands/artists i really respect as a musician for the fact that they've stayed rabidly independent over their whole career, like fugazi and ani difranco (though i don't have much respect for difranco who charges $35+ a ticket just to see her playing solo acoustic songs; s-k has always kept their ticket prices low, which deserves even more respect cos they could charge ani prices and still sell out each show). any other band announcing this kind of "farewell (but maybe not) tour" would get my cynicism up, but s-k has always treated their fans right and their not pumping up ticket prices on this tour or anything, so they'd hardly be getting rich if it were a gimmick.

i got into them around the time of dig me out, and i remember all the big labels who wanted to sign them and they refused them all. they deserve a lot of respect and whatever they do together or apart now musically, i'm sure it will be just as good and keep the spirit alive. carrie brownstein is like a female angus young, a guitar goddess with a unique stage presence. granted, she doesn't wear a school-boy uniform, but it would be damn sexy if she did (and i don't care if she's a lesbian, she's STILL muthafukkin hot). she does play a gibson sg at least.

p.s. i wouldn't mind if le tigre broke up, as long as it meant bikini kill getting back together. i always liked BK better.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19241
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Postby unikrunk on Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:21 pm

@Bax - BK was good, and I like Le Tigre, just over it, much like sleater-kinney.
He can't' love you back...
Image
User avatar
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4845
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:48 am

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:32 pm

i don't know, i don't think good music ever stops being fun or relevant. s-k and bk were both as far as i'm concerned.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19241
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:52 pm

I saw them live in January - they were fantastic! It was a great show and it got me into their music. Just a shame that they're calling it quits now, just as I get into them.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
User avatar
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN
 
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:46 am
Location: the Local Shop

Postby Brocktune on Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:04 pm

Tubbs Tattsyrup wrote:I saw them live in January - they were fantastic! It was a great show and it got me into their music. Just a shame that they're calling it quits now, just as I get into them.


i share that pain, o my brothers.

if i had a dollar for every band that i got into the week after they had come through town, well, id have at least a hundred bucks.

combustible edison was the worst. i was on my way to the show, the last show they would EVER play here, then at the last minute, my friend decides he wants to see candye kane instead. i never got to see combustible edison. i will take that bitterness to my grave
Image
User avatar
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6490
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: Pico & Sepulveda

Re: Sleater-Kinney Calls It Quits

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:07 pm

Brocktune wrote:got this straight from the oficial Sleater-Kinney website


After eleven years as a band, Sleater-Kinney have decided to go on indefinite hiatus. The upcoming summer shows will be our last. As of now, there are no plans for future tours or recordings.
We feel lucky to have had the support of many wonderful people over the years. We want to thank everyone who has worked with us, written kind words about us, performed with us, and inspired us.
But mostly we want to extend our gratitude to our amazing fans. You have been a part of our story from the beginning. We could not have made our music without your enthusiasm, passion, and loyalty. It is you who have made the entire journey worthwhile.
With love and thanks,
Sleater-Kinney


i wonder what the deal is. my buddy said that they are splitting because their songs arent getting any radio play. but that sounds kind of like bollox to me. they have never been a mainstream or radio friendly band, so why would not having a hit single make them call it quits? i dont know. but i do know, i just heard the sound of a million hearts breaking.

r.i.p., sleater-kinney



Sometimes people get sick of each other, and being with the same people day in and day out for eleven years wears on you, especially if your efforts are unsuccessful.
User avatar
ONeillSG1
ADAMA
 
Posts: 4738
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:23 am
Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:37 pm

i saw s-k last night. only two days later than when they were supposed to play. on tuesday night, everyone was waiting for them to go on stage when some guy came up on stage and announced the show was cancelled. apparently, some raving drunk made it backstage, where he called corin "sugartits" before ranting about how the jews were responsible for all the wars and asking carrie and janet if they were jews. ok, i made that up. but the show really was cancelled, about 15 mins before s-k hit the stage, due to some electrical problem outside the club that was threatening to start a fire or at least shut down the electricity. luckily they rescheduled it and came back and played last night. it was definitely worth the wait.

this was my 4th or 5th s-k show, and they still really rock. they're definitely not past their prime or anything. carrie, who i usually think of as an angus young type, was actually reminding me of tony iommi last night with some of the heavy sludgy riffs she was playing. my favourite records are dig me out and all hands on the bad one, and i was glad they played a good selection from those records, especially dig me out. one definite highlight was when janet broke her snare during the first encore, and corin and carrie played an impromptu version of 'buy her candy' while janet was fixing her snare. another highlight was the 2nd encore, which actually felt like a "real" encore, rather than one of those obligatory "band goes off and waits while people clap for a few minutes then come back on" encores. after the first encore, they went offstage, the house lights came up and the house music came on, the usual signs that the show is over. but NOBODY left. ok, nobody except the two lame girls standing next to me, but for the most part, EVERYBODY stayed where they were and clapped and cheered until s-k came back on stage 5 minutes later, the house lights and music came down, and they played a couple more songs. granted, it wasn't totally spontaneous. the roadies didn't rush on stage after the first encore to start tearing down equipment or anything. but it still felt like we earned this encore, not just going through the motions.

the show definitely had that 'special' vibe to it you don't get very often. i guess that happens when people know it's probably their last tour. they played a long time too, about two hours including both encores. it was a great show, and definitely erased the disappointment of the earlier cancellation and made the whole thing worthwhile.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19241
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Postby Brocktune on Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:48 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i saw s-k last night. only two days later than when they were supposed to play. on tuesday night, everyone was waiting for them to go on stage when some guy came up on stage and announced the show was cancelled. apparently, some raving drunk made it backstage, where he called corin "sugartits" before ranting about how the jews were responsible for all the wars and asking carrie and janet if they were jews. ok, i made that up. but the show really was cancelled, about 15 mins before s-k hit the stage, due to some electrical problem outside the club that was threatening to start a fire or at least shut down the electricity. luckily they rescheduled it and came back and played last night. it was definitely worth the wait.

this was my 4th or 5th s-k show, and they still really rock. they're definitely not past their prime or anything. carrie, who i usually think of as an angus young type, was actually reminding me of tony iommi last night with some of the heavy sludgy riffs she was playing. my favourite records are dig me out and all hands on the bad one, and i was glad they played a good selection from those records, especially dig me out. one definite highlight was when janet broke her snare during the first encore, and corin and carrie played an impromptu version of 'buy her candy' while janet was fixing her snare. another highlight was the 2nd encore, which actually felt like a "real" encore, rather than one of those obligatory "band goes off and waits while people clap for a few minutes then come back on" encores. after the first encore, they went offstage, the house lights came up and the house music came on, the usual signs that the show is over. but NOBODY left. ok, nobody except the two lame girls standing next to me, but for the most part, EVERYBODY stayed where they were and clapped and cheered until s-k came back on stage 5 minutes later, the house lights and music came down, and they played a couple more songs. granted, it wasn't totally spontaneous. the roadies didn't rush on stage after the first encore to start tearing down equipment or anything. but it still felt like we earned this encore, not just going through the motions.

the show definitely had that 'special' vibe to it you don't get very often. i guess that happens when people know it's probably their last tour. they played a long time too, about two hours including both encores. it was a great show, and definitely erased the disappointment of the earlier cancellation and made the whole thing worthwhile.


awesome dude!
that kind of shit is what its all about.
Image
User avatar
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6490
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: Pico & Sepulveda

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:34 am

TheBaxter wrote:i saw s-k last night...it was definitely worth the wait...this was my 4th or 5th s-k show, and they still really rock...
the show definitely had that 'special' vibe to it you don't get very often. i guess that happens when people know it's probably their last tour. they played a long time too, about two hours including both encores. it was a great show, and definitely erased the disappointment of the earlier cancellation and made the whole thing worthwhile.


heh, if you went to the show I think you went to, NPR has a nice write up of the band along with the entire show available as an mp3.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville


Return to Music

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest