The End is Nigh!!

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

The End is Nigh!!

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:41 pm

Hillary Duff's "Greatest Hits" collection, incorporating those beloved melodies from both, count 'em BOTH, of her previous albums, has hit #1 in the U.S.

Please shoot me.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:44 pm

Noooooooooooo! Locke, Bantha, TITG, anyone in England, care for a roommate? I need to get the hell away from people who would buy this album.....

EDIT: No offense meant to Burl, who has seven copies. One for each day of the week.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby John-Locke on Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:47 pm

Yeah but it's really cold here, it rains all the time, we all have bad teeth and believe me the UK public has bought into worse stuff than tyhis in the past.

Anyway aren't record companies renound for buying up their own records to create a hit because so many people only buy what is already popular?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Brocktune on Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:47 pm

i never thought i would want to do anything other than make sweet, sweet love to an 18 year old girl, but when i hear about how there is always something going on everywhere hillary duff goes, i want to beat her severly. i wish to pummel the life out out of her and bathe in her blood. and then do the same to everyone that buys her records.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:48 pm

Sounds like a we have a new idea for a the club membership, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby so sorry on Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:56 pm

We are defintely in the dark ages of music right now.
At least the boy bands are gone (for the moment).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:13 pm

I just can't understand how you can make a "Best of..." album when the "artist" has made a total of 2 albums...regardless of who the "artist" is.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:34 pm

Music sucks these days. I listen to mostly all older music. Teh suk!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:41 pm

John-Locke wrote:Yeah but it's really cold here, it rains all the time, we all have bad teeth and believe me the UK public has bought into worse stuff than tyhis in the past.

Anyway aren't record companies renound for buying up their own records to create a hit because so many people only buy what is already popular?

Not so much anymore. Since "Billboard" went to the SoundScan system in the mid-'90s, sales are only measured by a barcode scan and a transaction completed. Albums don't get credit for radio play, so it's strictly sales, and the sampling retailers are held to a high standard of honesty.

As for living in England, yeah, anyplace that brings us "That's What I Call Music!" and Kylie Minogue can't be trusted.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby DennisMM on Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:49 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:I just can't understand how you can make a "Best of..." album when the "artist" has made a total of 2 albums...regardless of who the "artist" is.

Is it a best-of or a greatest hits? If it's hits, and there are enough, you can put together a short GH album from two originals plus any singles that might be loose. Adding the obligatory new tracks makes it easier. Michael Jackson could have put together a nearly-full-length hits album just from "Thriller" and "Bad," had he wanted.

As for best-of, there's no excuse.

A frightening fact: allmusic.com rates Duff's first album at 4 stars and second at 3 1/2.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:02 pm

DennisMM wrote:Since "Billboard" went to the SoundScan system in the mid-'90s, sales are only measured by a barcode scan and a transaction completed. Albums don't get credit for radio play, so it's strictly sales, and the sampling retailers are held to a high standard of honesty.

If only comics (the direct market, they already use bookscan when they're collected into TPB) had a similar system. It's as bad now as it was in the early 90s with invented 'sellouts' and contrived hits...God I'm tired even thinking about it...
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Agent Alonzo on Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:07 pm

Teenagers with greatest hits albums after two releases. Check. Oh sweet lord satan, one more prophecy has come to pass, your time is soon my lord. Come drown us in your black semen...
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:25 pm

Hell that raymitheminx blog is enough of a sign of the oncoming apoclypse, Hilary Duff ust cements the fact.

I'm so unbelievably bored with "pop" music.
The good new stuff is out there you just need to look. It's all MTV faults anyway, but obviously Herc is the CEO.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:28 pm

Why do I think most movies, music and TV sucks these days? Is it cuz Im getting older or is it cuz they just suck?
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Agent Alonzo on Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:30 pm

You suck and are old, they suck, and Herc sucks...
Everyone clear?
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:30 pm

The short answer is that it's easier to form an emotional attachment in adolescence and early adulthood. So yes, it's getting older. The golden age is never the present, as Ben Franklin said.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:41 pm

I agree with Mr. Balm
There is certainly quality music being produced these days. Of sufficient quality to rival anything from the past. It's just far less popular or rather it is far from well known due to major labels squeezing out the independents with solid MTV rotation and massive marketing and publicity which has also become ever more deviant devious cynical and immoral; Britney Spear schoolgirl outfit is a prime example.

Also, many older people or for that matter some young from certain social stratas etc absolutely despise the genres from which the true innovation and brilliance is coming.

Emotionally I'm never going to connect with as many records as I did in my adolescence but I can still admire talent originality and sheer bravura, but preference wise I'm likiely to choose tracks from my adolescence.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:53 pm

TonyWilson wrote: ...with solid MTV rotation...

They play music on MTV in the U.K.? I haven't seen music on MTV in the states in about nine years.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:54 pm

Yeah you guys are right I guess. You still suck tho.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:58 pm

MTV is pretty bloody awful here too. ALthough we do have MTV2 which is good but to heavily geared towards indie/rock and not toooooo much else. Although it does have 120 minutes which is genuinely brilliant.

We are lucky having BBC Radio One here which is amazing for new music in the evenings.
The Late Great John Peel had his show there for 30 years odd so we are lucky.
TonyWilson

Postby Bean on Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:25 pm

This is exactly what's wrong with music today. Duff doesn't even SING her own songs, she has as much talent as Ashley Simpson.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby bluebottle on Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:53 pm

There's always shit. 90% of all creative output is shit. You just have to look hard for the 10% some times.

Arcade Fire
Modest Mouse
The Killers
Death Cab For Cutie
Lemon Jelly
Frou Frou
The Shins
Gorillaz
Jet
Franz Ferdinand...
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:59 pm

TonyWilson wrote:The Late Great John Peel had his show there for 30 years odd so we are lucky.

Is there a place that has streams of his archived shows? I'd love to hear them. My CD of "Madness - The John Peel Sessions" hardly ever leaves my player.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby DennisMM on Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:59 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:
TonyWilson wrote: ...with solid MTV rotation...

They play music on MTV in the U.K.? I haven't seen music on MTV in the states in about nine years.

It comes on for a couple hours around 4 a.m. Eastern and there's a late-night block too, I think.

Tony told me to look for new music on "120 Minutes." I haven't even heard of that in so long -- it must only be on MTV Europe or whatever the feed is. MTV2 here, which used to be just video, is now filled with crap shows.

I try listening to some "progressive" radio, but even they play lots of older stuff and too much Dave Matthews -style crap when they program new music. I actually like some hip-hop material, but I can't bring myself to listen to urban radio because it's filled with gangsta shit and oversouled balladeers.
DennisMM

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:02 pm

I recall "120 minutes" from my high school days. Back then it was playing the fresh new hits of The Cure, The Smiths, World Party and Husker Du.

That ages me a bit, huh?
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:22 am

One of my favorite memories of 120 Minutes is of the time Evan Dando guest hosted. Undoubtedly he was high. He wore a Charlie Manson t-shirt and stumbled about mostly talking to himself. I think I still have it on tape somewhere. Great TV.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:20 am

Somebody, they mention a this before, but the Dino, he would agree that a the 80s prolly was a the Golden Age of a the modern pop music, eh? So many bands, so many different styles, anna so many people actually trying to make a the melody ANNA the harmonies mix with a the interesting lyrics, no? It's a like, just a listen to almost any of a the Rhino Record New Wave a Hits of a the 80s anna you see what a the Dino, he's a talking about...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby DennisMM on Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:33 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Somebody, they mention a this before, but the Dino, he would agree that a the 80s prolly was a the Golden Age of a the modern pop music, eh? So many bands, so many different styles, anna so many people actually trying to make a the melody ANNA the harmonies mix with a the interesting lyrics, no? It's a like, just a listen to almost any of a the Rhino Record New Wave a Hits of a the 80s anna you see what a the Dino, he's a talking about...

An excellent series for sampling '80-'85, and it's not all New Wave, whatever the fuck New Wave meant except punk without hard beats and loud guitars replaced by synths.

I like a lot of the stuff on those albums. '78 to '85 are probably my formative music years; I got started a bit late at 16, mostly because I had no cash and was living in a town that wouldn't play good music for payola.

Remember "Missing You" by John Waite? Great song, better video. Waite had perfect New Wave hair.
DennisMM

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:35 pm

Remember "Missing You" by John Waite? Great song, better video. Waite had perfect New Wave hair.[/quote]

I saw Waite and Scandal on a double bill once. I always thought John Waite's best song was "Restless Heart". I also dig the stuff he did as the lead singer of The Babys.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby DennisMM on Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:40 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:]quote="DennisMM"]Remember "Missing You" by John Waite? Great song, better video. Waite had perfect New Wave hair.

I saw Waite and Scandal on a double bill once. I always thought John Waite's best song was "Restless Heart". I also dig the stuff he did as the lead singer of The Babys.[/quote]

Waite had a talent that was sometimes overshadowed by his pretty looks. Scandal was pretty cool until it became "Scandal featuring Patti Smythe," which obviously was the first sign of her becoming a diva and quitting.

One day I saw MTV do a remarkable thing; they played three different video versions of the same song, back to back. First up was Tom Waits's "Downtown Train," which he wrote, followed by Patti Smythe, followed by the hit version by Rod Stewart.

I never saw anything like it before or since, but wish I had. I suppose multiple videos of the same song weren't common.
DennisMM

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:32 pm

I just found this

(EDIT: Need to be using IE to hear it, Mozilla doesn't work)
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:35 pm

They're all made by the same person, the studly kid, Nooooooooo, Wonka, Oprah & Tom Cruise. Very cool Adam.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:39 pm

John-Locke wrote:They're all made by the same person, the studly kid, Nooooooooo, Wonka, Oprah & Tom Cruise.

ytmnd...you don't think it's our very own Y.T. do you? That would be cool.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Music