Tom Waits: Orphan

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Tom Waits: Orphan

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:10 pm

I've never seen as much appreciation for Tom Waits, as in this place. I have no clue where most of you are from, nor do I care. Here's a list of Tom Cat's upcoming tour dates. I highly recommend going to one of his shows. He plays a broken guitar and screams and howls soul and rhythm. Best trip to Vancouver, ever.

DATE CITY/STATE VENUE
Tues, Aug 1 Atlanta, GA Tabernacle
Wed, Aug 2 Asheville, NC Thomas Wolfe Auditorium
Fri, Aug 4 Memphis, TN Orpheum Theatre
Sat, Aug 5 Nashville, TN Ryman Auditorium
Mon, Aug 7 Louisville, KY Palace Theatre
Wed, Aug 9 Chicago, IL Auditorium Theatre
Fri, Aug 11 Detroit, MI Opera House
Sun, Aug 13 Akron, OH Akron Civic
Last edited by Retardo_Montalban on Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Brocktune on Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:14 pm

what, no san diego date?

hahaha

just kidding. talent avoids this city like the fucking plague.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:30 pm

I absolutely love the earlier Tom Waits. I'd never heard of him until one time, when I was living in Toronto, I was flipping through the channels and saw this weird looking, croaking guy at a piano. The background was utterly black - just Tom in the foreground. He was singing (?) Invitation To The Blues. I was absolutely riveted. What a great, great song, and what a powerful performance. I rushed out and bought the album "Small Change" and I've been a fan ever since.

Tom is a hugely gifted, if eccentric, individual, and his presence enriches the world.

:)
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby The Ginger Man on Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:35 pm

I actually just got into Waits about 2 months ago, but I've been devouring his albums ever since. Where the fuck is my NYC show?!?
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:39 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:I actually just got into Waits about 2 months ago, but I've been devouring his albums ever since. Where the fuck is my NYC show?!?

He's not really touring. He left a piece of his ear in a bottle of bourbon, and is trying to trace his steps back. Just be grateful that he's broke and needs to play a few gigs to pay for the road trip
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:11 am

I saw him in Eugene, Oregon back in 1999 (last time he toured). I hope to hell he's doing a larger tour than this!

His next album, called "Orphans" is due out in October.

In my mind, Tom is the greatest songwriter we've got.

By the way, when describing why he's going to these particular places this time around, he stated that he's going to Tennessee to buy fireworks, and someone in Kentucky owes him money.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby happydude3 on Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:24 am

Minstrel, if you got one, I'm happy to say you'll soon aquire them all. I've been a fan for 10 years and my fondest wish is to see him live. If anyone gets the chance do NOT hesitate- he rarely tours. Of course he lives in LA and I live in LA and there's no LA date on that list. Woe is me.
happydude3
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:12 am

This is hot off the press as far as I know. Tom Waits is gonna release a new album, and it's going to have 56 tracks. There are 30 totally new songs, never before heard. I am killer psyched about this sucker.

Here's a quick list of the tracks:

BRAWLERS
01. Lie To Me
02. LowDown
03. 2:19
04. Fish In The Jailhouse
05. Bottom Of The World
06. Lucinda
07. Ain't Goin' Down To The Well
08. Lord I've Been Changed
09. Puttin' On The Dog
10. Road To Peace
11. All The Time
12. The Return Of Jackie and Judy
13. Walk Away
14. Sea Of Love
15. Buzz Fledderjohn
16. Rains On Me

BAWLERS
01. Bend Down The Branches
02. You Can Never Hold Back Spring
03. Long Way Home
04. Widow's Grove
05. Little Drop Of Poison
06. Shiny Things
07. World Keeps Turning
08. Tell It To Me
09. Never Let Go
10. Fannin Street
11. Little Man
12. It's Over
13. If I Have To Go
14. Goodnight Irene
15. The Fall Of Troy
16. Take Care Of All My Children
17. Down There By The Train
18. Danny Says
19. Jayne's Blue Wish
20. Young At Heart

BASTARDS
01. What Keeps Mankind Alive
02. Children's Story
03. Heigh Ho
04. Army Ants
05. Books Of Moses
06. Bone Chain
07. Two Sisters
08. First Kiss
09. Dog Door
10. Redrum
11. Nirvana
12. Home I'll Never Be
13. Poor Little Lamb
14. Altar Boy
15. The Pontiac
16. Spidey's Wild Ride
17. King Kong
18. On The Road

and here's a more detailed link on what all this jazz is about
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby St. Alphonzo on Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:46 am

Sweet mother of God!!!!

So I picked this bad-boy up today, and I'm admittedly a Waits fanatic... but this is the perfect Tom Waits collection. Most Waits fans gather into camps: some love the ballads (this is how I began my obsession), some love the raw, bare-knuckled stompers, and still others love the utter strangeness of the man in songs like "What's He Building In There" or "Frank's Wild Years". I've grown to love all these styles, and this collection shows us his mastery of all three.

As mentioned in previous posts, the collection is split into three parts... Brawlers, Bawlers & Bastards.

First, the Brawlers: this is classic Waits at his ass-kicking best. I defy you to not run "2:19" through your head for a half-hour after you hear it for the first time. "Rains On Me", originally recorded with Chuck E. Weiss, and re-recorded here, is drunken bliss. There's even a Ramones cover on here (returning the favor for "I Don't Wanna Grow Up").

Then comes the Bawlers. I'll admit, this is my favorite disc of the collection. I'm a sucker for his street-level sentimentality. "The Fall Of Troy", which originally appeared on the Dead Man Walking soundtrack is a standout here:

"Its the same with men
As with horses and dogs.
Nothing wants to die"

Whether or not you agree with his politics, you've got to respect his ability to convey true pain and desperation in just a few words. This disc also features a pitch-perfect lullabye ("Bend Down The Branches"), an unexpected island-twinged cover song ("Young At Heart"), and unabashed love songs ("Never Let Go").

Finally, here come the Bastards. A few spoken word tracks... the most interesting being "The Pontiac". No music. Literally a man-on-the-street listing of the cars he has owned, as told to his son. Also, a cover of "Heigh Ho". That's right dammit. "Heigh" fuckin' "Ho". This is the true nature of this song... forget Disney. This is a trip through hell.

This post has gone on a lot longer than I intended. I just hope that anyone who appreciates a well-crafted song or a well-turned phrase will give this collection a shot. This set is proof, if ever any was needed, that Tom Waits is our greatest living songwriter. 33 years later, he's still putting out the best work of his career.
Last edited by St. Alphonzo on Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby minstrel on Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:08 am

Greatest living songwriter? That may be overstating the case, but only slightly. The following geniuses are still alive: Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Stevie Wonder, John Prine, Bruce Springsteen, Richard Thompson, Van Morrison, Pete Townshend, Smokey Robinson, and others I can't think of off the top of my head.

But Tom Waits belongs on the list. Without question.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel

Postby St. Alphonzo on Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:15 am

minstrel wrote:Greatest living songwriter? That may be overstating the case, but only slightly. The following geniuses are still alive: Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Stevie Wonder, John Prine, Bruce Springsteen, Richard Thompson, Van Morrison, Pete Townshend, Smokey Robinson, and others I can't think of off the top of my head.

But I would argue that none of those folks (with the possible exception of Dylan) has been able to sustain the quality of songwriting over many decades as Waits has. I'm still waiting for a "phoned-in" album from Tom. Neil is one of my faves, but damn if he doesn't release a clunker every now and then. Van too. Bruce (for me) has been rehashing for many years.

Paul Simon, however... after many years of wandering in the wilderness, put out a truly brilliant album in "Surprise" this year. It's definately in my top five!
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby minstrel on Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:59 am

St. Alphonzo wrote:
minstrel wrote:Greatest living songwriter? That may be overstating the case, but only slightly. The following geniuses are still alive: Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Stevie Wonder, John Prine, Bruce Springsteen, Richard Thompson, Van Morrison, Pete Townshend, Smokey Robinson, and others I can't think of off the top of my head.

But I would argue that none of those folks (with the possible exception of Dylan) has been able to sustain the quality of songwriting over many decades as Waits has. I'm still waiting for a "phoned-in" album from Tom. Neil is one of my faves, but damn if he doesn't release a clunker every now and then. Van too. Bruce (for me) has been rehashing for many years.

Paul Simon, however... after many years of wandering in the wilderness, put out a truly brilliant album in "Surprise" this year. It's definately in my top five!

I try not to consider clunkers. I prefer to measure the worth of an artist by looking at their best work, and de-emphasizing their poor stuff. Every artist, if they're really trying to create something new, will make missteps fairly often. It's when the experiments WORK that magic happens.

Music, and art in general, is not competitive. In sports, if you have an off day, you lose the game and down you go in the standings. But in art, there are no competitive "standings". You can get away with missing the mark now and then so long as your high points are really high.

Of course, if most of an artist's work is mediocre, and they only hit a high point once, then it was probably a fluke. But if an artist can reach extraordinary heights with some degree of regularity, especially spread over a long career, then I think the misses can be ignored. The artist remains a creative force of exceptional power, and should be acknowledged as such.

Just my opinion. Tom Waits is still one of the greats. I heard Rod Stewart's version of "Downtown Train" somewhere recently and was struck, once again, by how far above the run-of-the-mill the songcraft is.
minstrel

Postby The Vicar on Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:42 am

Tom Waites is a one-of-kind, and always will be.
Honor him!
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby The Ginger Man on Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:47 am

Thanks for the great review Alphonzo!!! I'll be picking this up very soon.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:02 am

St. Alphonzo wrote:Sweet mother of God!!!!

that's about right...

St. Alphonzo wrote:So I picked this bad-boy up today, and I'm admittedly a Waits fanatic... but this is the perfect Tom Waits collection.

I dunno if I agree with that 'cuz...

St. Alphonzo wrote:First, the Brawlers: this is classic Waits at his ass-kicking best.

Brawlers so fucking chock full of quality that I haven't even gotten to the other discs yet.

pretty good review from the Voice here,
especially when the writer goes into the way Waits voice interacts with the music he uses...

"The melodies Waits uses here—stripped from parlor tunes and hymns—are timeless and emblematic, but the way his voice deliberately corrupts them, both entreating and rebuffing, always makes the gratifications they offer uncomfortable ones...But the real magic lies in the friction between Waits and his music. Maybe it's the moaning and shrieking—or the strange future sounds that tend to drift through his old-world America—but Waits doesn't seem to occupy his songs as much as stalk them, huffing and puffing, growling through the keyholes, and, when all else fails, cooing gruffly to the lady of the house. Ultimately, he's always somehow displaced, anachronistic."

or, to sum up, Waits makes the beat his bitch.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:10 am

And he's a damned fine actor, too.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Eunuch Provocateur on Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:17 pm

Anybody catch him on the Daily Show last night? That was my first introduction to him.
There's no Devil, just God when he's drunk. -Tom Waits.
Eunuch Provocateur
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:27 pm

I've had this CD in my car stereo, work pc and home stereo for the last week. This is supposed to be a collection of songs from the past 30 years, but it's all so seemless and all so different, but typically Tom Waits. His spoken word enthralls me. I can sit down and read his little booklet of lyrics like a novel, it's so entertaining. I also dug the shit out of him in Dracula and the Outsiders.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Maui on Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:04 pm

Jersey Girl is my favourite Waits song.

He really is a great talent.
Maui
WoWie

Return to Music