TV on the Radio

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

TV on the Radio

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:08 pm

Return to Cookie Mountain will make my top 10 for 2k6.

I love the fact you can bump this from the car and just fucking feel the vibrations, or can listen to it with headphones and appreciate all the knob twiddling and fully grok the accumulation of sounds that make up any one particular song.

No one favorite tune, it's an "album" album, not just a collection of singles.

On my second listen now, I'll write up some more later, but what say you gentlemen? I'm shocked I even had to start this thread, figure someone would've beaten me to it already...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pudie on Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:00 pm

Havent listened to Cook Mt since my iPod got jacked. But DY,BB kicks all sorts of ass.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:06 pm

Pudie wrote:Havent listened to Cook Mt since my iPod got jacked. But DY,BB kicks all sorts of ass.

if you are Nick Sylvester, I thought you got it back?

if not, sorry you lost your ipod.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pudie on Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:10 pm

I wish I was nick :(
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby mister six on Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:10 pm

Not heard this one...just read about it on Amazom though...sounds like a good listen. Thanks for the heads up keepcool :wink:
mister six
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby doglips on Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:23 pm

Ditto all your thoughts KC, it's a badass record. Only listened to it twice so far, but it is apparent TV on the Radio have crafted something very special. Will make my top 10 too.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:55 pm

This has been in heavy rotation in my playlist for a bit now.

I was a Lover is probablyt my favorite track.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Re: TV on the Radio

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:26 pm

New TV On The Radio track from Dear Science here.

TVOTR meets disco?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:15 pm

I spaced on Cookie Mountain until just a few months ago, and realised I had missed out on what has since become a firm favourite - the player on that link doesn't work for me stereos, but the track's name 'Golden Age' and the album title 'Dear Science' reveal that that song is turning up on every music blog on the inter web, and their website too.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:37 pm

tapehead wrote:I spaced on Cookie Mountain until just a few months ago, and realised I had missed out on what has since become a firm favourite - the player on that link doesn't work for me stereos, but the track's name 'Golden Age' and the album title 'Dear Science' reveal that that song is turning up on every music blog on the inter web, and their website too.

i linked from their website. Yeah it's a very interesting song. them but definitely new sounds sonically. As i said sort of disco-y.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:17 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:i linked from their website.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but your link went here, imeem.com - I probably just need to update my flash or something so the player will work.

stereosforgeeks wrote: Yeah it's a very interesting song. them but definitely new sounds sonically. As i said sort of disco-y.

You could probably dance to it, which can't really be said of anything of RTCM. A friend of mine gave me a few of their earlier albums and eps to listen to - this will probably get me sifting through them 'til 'Dear Science,' comes out.

Any idea what the comma is about? I guess it's as if the album is addressed like a letter, as in

'Dear Science,
Thanks for all the penicillin, nuclear technology is a bitch, and so on...
Last edited by tapehead on Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:22 pm

tapehead wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:i linked from their website. Yeah it's a very interesting song. them but definitely new sounds sonically. As i said sort of disco-y.

You could probably dance to it, which can't really be said of anything of Cookie Mountain. A friend of mine gave me a few of their earlier albums and eps to listen to - this will probably get me sifting through them 'til 'Dear Science,' comes out.

Any idea what the comma is about?

Think about it. How do you start any letter?

"Dear so and so,

Ive had such a wonderful...."

I do think the new song is dance-able but i havent decided whether i think its a good addition or not. It's definitely a progression from cookie mountain and that's entirely respectable. And part of me loves the song but part of me doesnt and im not sure which will win out at this point. Maybe it'll be clearer when the album drops? Ive been a fan since their first ep leaked online and have anxiously awaited each new album and while the first full length wasnt amazing it was still solid and then cookie mountain came and fulfilled the promise of that ep. I just hope they can keep it up.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:28 pm

Man, I'm just way too slow editing in extra thoughts to my posts :oops: - I might get back to you on their earlier material once I'm across it all.

Getting into a well established band I've simply ignored or missed out on does have it's perks - I've got their whole back catalogue to go through.

'Wolf Like Me' is probably the track From RTCM I dial up to listen to most often.

Anyways, with regards to the new song, you're right, it could almost be LCD Soundsystem until they get to the get to the chorus/ 'age of miracles' line...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:30 pm

'Wolf Like Me' is an amazing song. Love the way the track skips in places, built in. Excellent stuff. Also think the singer sounds a lot like Peter Gabriel in the 70's, when Genesis were good (yes, it once was so).
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:58 am

There's definitely a 'shock the monkey' era vibe to some of the vocal stylings on that album, not to mention, Bowie guests on a couple of tracks.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby tapehead on Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:37 pm

So, Dear Science is out - anyone had a listen?
Last edited by tapehead on Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:39 pm

tapehead wrote:So, Dear Science is out - who's listening?

Only at one listen so far. It's different but still them. I like it but I need more time to form a full opinion
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:58 pm

My first listen now too, I'll probably have more to say later - it seems more upbeat than it's predecessor, or at the very least more uptempo - dazzling...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby ZachVsYojimbo on Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:24 am

I'm not sure if down the road I'll like it more than Cookie Mountain or Young Liars, but they have that unique ability, like I think Radiohead does, of making every new bit of music sound like the best fucking thing in the world.

Overall, "Dear Science," is definitely more of a pop record than anything they've done before, and more optimistic sounding because of it. There's a lot more Talking Heads, or even Bowie/Eno, type of influence going on here, with less of the droning, 4AD feedback. But not too much less, thankfully. The wife and I were listening to it in the car the other day and she remarked that if she heard this five or so years ago when we first started getting into Young Liars, it would be hard to imagine them sounding this polished, but it still sounds only like TVOTR.

I get the feeling once the reviews start coming in that this album will be the one that makes them Grammy popular. All things considered, though, I haven't heard a record this good since their last one.
ZachVsYojimbo
GLIB

Postby Ribbons on Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:51 pm

They may be an acquired taste, but TV on the Radio recently released a bomb new album, Seeds:

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:53 pm

Dude sounds a lot like Peter Gabriel to my ear (me being a big PG fan, I heard it immediately).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:44 pm

I can kind of hear it, yo. There's a side-by-side comparison below:

http://tinyurl.com/p5u69rw
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to Music