Arthur Lee R.I.P.

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Arthur Lee R.I.P.

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:09 am

Just been announced that Love's Arthur Lee has died at 61 from Leukemia.

Forever Changes is one of the finest out there albums ever made.

First Syd, now Arthur.

A black couple of months for music lovers.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:29 am

Well said, HB.

Music world takes another hit.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Seppuku on Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:30 am

You know, I've heard it said that it's a sort of insanity to get yourself all upset at these people you've never met meeting their maker, but the thing is they've been a big part of our lives. I can't tell you how often I've hummed andmoreagain to myself, or sung along to their take on Bacharach's My Little Red Book (not...that book!) I'd put any one of their first four albums into my top 10 of all time, and the two times I managed to see them play live were religious experiences for me.

This music wasn't easy-listening, hippie manifestos (The Red Telephone starts with the lines, "Sitting on a hillside/Watching all the people die/I'll feel much better on the other side"); it was a troubled mind venting itself. And then there's the fact that he was a black man leading a rock group...a feat you don't hear about too often (yep, I have heard of Jimi. He played the glockenspiel, right?). Arthur was a "mullato soul so rare", and he was a very original songwriter- he could somehow manage to write about himself without quite letting you in (take another listen to the barnstorming Seven and Seven Is, it's like a 2 and a half minute autobiography.)

The worst thing about this is that so much of his life was stolen from him to begin with by California's inane three strikes and your out feudal system. Not to mention six years spent in the slammer for gun possession in the early 90's.

I can't tell you how broken up this makes me, this guy was one of my biggest heroes. I guess he always had a hint of death in his songs- he always wrote as if he knew the hellhound was on his trail- so I doubt he was too surprised when it finally caught up with him.

R.I.P. Arthur Lee, you meant so much to me.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Return to Music