I just got my guitar and I need help...

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

I just got my guitar and I need help...

Postby mushookie on Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:50 pm

I just started playing today. I got a BC Rich Warlock: Broze Series with Silver Tribal graphics. There are two nobs and a toggle switch in between. The right nob controls the main volume, but I don't know what the left nob and the switch do? The switch goes left, right, and in the middle and I can't notice what it does and neither with the left nob. (Right nob: closest to the chords. Left nob: farthest from the cords)
mushookie
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Location: The land where Alice Cooper's "Frankenstien" will never be fed.

Postby Brocktune on Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:06 pm

the left knob is for tone.

same thing with the toggle switch.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:08 pm

Also, it might control the no. of pickups receiving the string vibration. Having the low pickup on only gives the notes a twangy kind of sound, versus the fullness of all three on at once.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Flumm on Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:12 pm

Mush, the best way to learn is to have lessons, dude. Seriously. It will help you infinately with every aspect of learning. At least a few to get you started and you find your way, or your intiative takes you in your own direction, you know?

If not, have you any guitar playing friends, if you don't want formal lessons? Although it's not the most structured way to learn, and I would advise that learning the right way to do things first is gonna help you down the line if you are to stick at it, it's a good enviroment to pick up a lot quickly, and you'll probably be playing stuff in no time.

Failing that, don't be afraid to go and talk to the guys at your local music shop, they'll be happy to help you. If you want to be self-taught, you'll probably be best kitted out with a book or learner DVD or something along those lines, and they'll help point you out in the best direction, considering what type of music you want to play and such.

Also, there are a bijillion websites and magazines out there, absoloutely overflowing with information. Most of the good guitar magazines will often have the basics in there somewhere every issue anyway, plus TABs or tablature, (an easy to follow way to learn songs), of new and old songs, features and countless other things that will help you out...

To answer your Q's, the knob affects the tone coming out of your guitar, depending on the guitar/player, a lot of people have them up full most of the time, part of learning is finding out the breadth of sounds avalabie to you, so play around with it if you want to get a feel for your guitar.

The switch decides which pickup or combination of pickups (those things under the strings where you strum) your using, and will probably make a more dramatic effect on what your hearing. The difference between say, a heavier, crunchy rock sound, and a cleaner most acoustic sound...

Anyways, like I say, playing around with this stuff is all part of the journey, mush, enjoy it dude.
Last edited by Flumm on Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:13 pm

exactly.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:26 pm

I get the feeling like maybe we missed something here, Brock.

Something about... punting? Or, or...thrusting with the foot in some manner? In the poofy, was it?

Mmm, it's not quite coming to me. :?
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:33 pm

im sure it will come to you, as soon as we hear the part about how other than onillysg! everyone in this room has nothing to say but bullshit.
i know my foot will be wanting to do some thrusting and some punting. :wink:
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby mushookie on Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:37 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:Also, it might control the no. of pickups receiving the string vibration. Having the low pickup on only gives the notes a twangy kind of sound, versus the fullness of all three on at once.

I only have two pickups and Flumm I'm getting lessons from my neighbor, he's a guitar legend around where I live, so I trust him...
mushookie
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Flumm on Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:47 pm

Cool, mush.

I hope it's the start the of a beautiful friendship, I really do.

Uh, between you and yer guitar that is...

Or your neighbour too, I guess. Nothing wrong with that. Whatever reverbs your Kiss chorus.

:o
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:52 pm

Flumm wrote:Mush, the best way to learn is too have lessons, dude. Seriously. It will help you infinately with every aspect of learning. At least a few to get you started and you find your way, or your intiative takes you in your own direction, you know?

If not, have you any guitar playing friends, if you don't want formal lessons? Although it's not the most structured way to learn, and I would advice that learning the right way to do things first is gonna help you down the line if you are to stick at it, it's a good enviroment to pick up a lot quickly, and you'll probably be playing stuff in no time.

Failing that, don't be afraid to go and talk to the guys at your local music shop, they'll be happy to help you. If you want to be self-taught, you'll probably be best kitted out with a book or learner DVD or something along those lines, and they'll help point you out in the best direction, considering what type of music you want to play and such.

Also, there are a bijillion websites and magazines out there, absoloutely overflowing with information. Most of the good guitar magazines will often have the basics in there somewhere every issue anyway, plus TABs or tablature, (an easy to follow way to learn songs), of new and old songs, features and countless other things that will help you out...

To answer your Q's, the knob affects the tone coming out of your guitar, depending on the guitar/player, a lot of people have them up full most of the time, part of learning is finding out the breadth of sounds avalabie to you, so play around with it if you want to get a feel for your guitar.

The switch decides which pickup or combination of pickups (those things under the strings where you strum) your using, and will probably make a more dramatic effect on what your hearing. The difference between say, a heavier, crunchy rock sound, and a cleaner most acoustic sound...

Anyways, like I say, playing around with this stuff is all part of the journey, mush, enjoy it dude.

sure, you can do all that, practice for hours, take lessons, read magazines etc etc etc

or you could just go find the pick of destiny, and use all that time for banging groupies, snorting coke and worshipping satan.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Flumm on Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:53 pm

'LASH.

Hey gimme a break, Baxter, it was all I could do to not make with the hypothetical Brocktune/PatientZero/mushookie tourbus jokes.

Diplomacy - starts in the home, folks!
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby mushookie on Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:08 pm

Flumm wrote:'LASH.

Hey gimme a break, Baxter, it was all I could do to not make with the hypothetical Brocktune/PatientZero/mushookie tourbus jokes.

Diplomacy - starts in the home, folks!

*claps*
mushookie
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:15 pm

I also recommend learning sheet music if you have the time. Tabs are geat and all, but I haven't found any tabs to "I can't stop loving you" and that song will get you laid.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby mushookie on Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:30 pm

Now I need to know how to tune it...
mushookie
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Brocktune on Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:34 pm

E
A
D
G
B
E
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby mushookie on Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:32 pm

Don't give that "hold the fifth fret on E to get A. 5th fret of A to D. So and and sof forth...." I know that....I just need to get the low E tuned
mushookie
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby minstrel on Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:41 pm

Get a guitar tuner. Or a set of pitch pipes (they're cheap!). Or a tuning fork. Even cheaper. I use a tuning fork - A, 440 Hz. It's the note that's the second fret of your third string. Or the seventh fret harmonic on the fourth string. Whap it, hold it near your pickup (with the amp on, of course!) and you'll hear it.

I've been playing guitar for well over 30 years. My best advice is to take some lessons. Even if you want to be self-taught, a few lessons to get you going on the right track will save you months, and even years, later on. Lessons get you up the learning curve damn fast.

And learning to read music helps a LOT. Especially before your ear is really trained well. It can help pick out notes and chords when your ears can't. Tab is ok, but there's a LOT of music that you may want to play that you can find keyboard sheet music for, but not tab, and if you can read it, it'll help you more than the tab ever will.

Good luck!

:)
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Brocktune on Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:44 pm

then i suggest buying a pitch pipe, so you can find "E".

or, if you have a piano or a keyboard handy, you can tune to "E" there. if you look at the keyboard, the black keys go in alternating sets of 2 and then 3. you can find "E" in the group of 2 black keys. it will be the white key just up one half step from the second black key in the set (just to the right).

or if you own a record that has a song that is played in "E" you could always tune to the record.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bean on Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:46 pm

Guitar tuners are a god send, but if you have a computer handy, there are several sites for you!

One of which is this site!
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Flumm on Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:46 pm

Exactly.

Also I googled "online guitar tuner", mush and picked the first one to serve you in the short term...

http://www.8notes.com/guitar_tuner/

EDIT: Oops. Or listen to Bean. Infact... always do that anyway.
Last edited by Flumm on Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:55 pm

Sheesh! I didn't even know there WERE online guitar tuners! Thanks, guys - I learn something new every day!
minstrel

Postby Vegeta on Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:53 pm

Basically, spend $20 on a guitar tuner. Also, I would also get lessons if you're a n00bie. They will help a ton, and you'll tend to be less frustrated. I taught myself to play guitar, because I played bass for years. But, I am sure I could benifit from lessons.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:51 pm

For the love of GOD, I couldn't get the cool mwawaaawowwow sound to happen from Santo & Johnny's Sleepwalk. Low and behold I took a few lessons, found out that I needed a slide and now I can scream "RICHIE!!!" at the end of the song without pause. I still suck though. Dust in the Wind still eludes me, becuase I suck with the finger strumming.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Brocktune on Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:05 pm

lol.

i had to find a vocalist to cover the "ritchie" part.
its tough to sing and play at the same time.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:53 pm

Oh my GOD, I thought I was the only one who screamed "RICHIE!" at the end of sleepwalk. So this is what it's like, when doves cry...
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby mushookie on Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:00 pm

I'm getting lessons soon. Thanks for the link Bean.
mushookie
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby mushookie on Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:57 am

does anyone here know the fingerings for Iron Man?
mushookie
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby goodfeets on Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:12 am

I'm gonna go against the crowd and suggest avoiding lessons. Every guitar teacher I know of spends half the lesson jerking around, showing off his "rock skills" playing Paradise City or something. The other half of the time he shows you some scales and tells you to play them 3 hours everyday. You'll get bored of that really fast and give up playing.

If you do take lessons just get the guy to show you some chords and practice switching from one to the other. You'll be able to play a recognizable song the first day, instead of running scales for months.

You might not become the world's greatest guitar player this way, but you'll have more fun and be less likely to quit. Later on, if you stick with it, you can start learning more technical stuff.

If you are just playing alone, perfect tuning isn't really neccessary. As long as the strings are in tune with each other that's what matters. Just use that "fifth fret" thing you were talking about until you get a guitar tuner.
goodfeets
GLIB

Postby mushookie on Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:42 pm

Thanks, now I have a second opinion. I kept doubting that I needd lessons because i already have the low E fully recognized, and I can play Iron Man now, and I already have about 10 little tunes I made up with the open chords.
mushookie
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby goodfeets on Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:28 pm

I'm assuming by chords, you mean strings. Chords are actually played by strumming a number of different complimentary notes at the same time.

Now that I think about it, maybe you should take a few lessons just to get the terminology and concepts down, as it seems like you are a real beginner when it comes to music.

Just don't let them try to teach you traditional/classical guitar. Learn a few basic chords and find someone to play with.
goodfeets
GLIB

Postby mushookie on Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:24 pm

ok....thanks
mushookie
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby mushookie on Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:14 am

GOD DAMNIT I HATE MY FUCKING TUNER!!!

My brother broke the high E string doing exactly what I told him not to do. I put a new string on, try to tune all my strings. When I got the the low E, it told me to keep going higher and high 'TIL IT FUCKING BROKE! SAME WITH THE FUCKING D STRING!!! FUCK THIS THING!

DON'T EVER GET A FUCKING KORG TUNER!!!
mushookie
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby minstrel on Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:00 am

Sheesh! Always use something standard as a reality check, I guess.

Just as an aside, it usually sounds best if you change all the strings at the same time. If one string breaks, it generally means they're all too old. New strings sound very different from old ones, and your music will sound weird if you don't keep all your strings "balanced" in terms of age.

Goodfeets made some good points about lessons. I would agree that you should stay away from teachers who only want to teach technique and theory without teaching you anything YOU want to play. Find a teacher who will devote a good portion of the lesson to teaching you YOUR music.

However, the theory and technique are tremendously valuable in the long run. If you practice your darn scales, chords, arpeggios etc., you will be able to pick up new songs far more quickly and easily than you could by just hunting at random around the fretboard for the right notes.

You don't have to take lessons for long, as I mentioned above. Just enough to get up a few steps - understanding basic concepts of both music generally and the guitar specifically, and some simple exercises that build good habits. After a few weeks of lessons (I'm guessing - depends on how talented you are, and how hard you're willing to work), you'll know enough to carry on by yourself.

Good luck!
minstrel

Postby mushookie on Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:17 am

Thanks, but it wasn't the age, it was my dumb brother who did the exact thing that would break the string, which I told him not to do. Do you think it's good that I'm reading tabs instead of measures?
mushookie
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Flumm on Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:34 am

If your learning from tabs, and making progress from that, and more importantly I think enjoying it, then that's great, mush. All progress is good progress. That stays in the bank, so to speak, once you learn something, with a little regular practise it will stay with you.

I guess the important thing is to learn in the best way you can, as early as possible, for instance, trying not to look atyour picking hand as you pick and so on, if your enjoying the journey, then have an appetite to learn to read music as you go along, or even progress a bit formally through your grades or something on top of that, then who's stop you? If taking lessons, or learning music more formally, fills with you with excitement, you enjoy the challanges as much as they frustrate you, even if it tires you at times, then by all means jump into it. It's all progress.

It's easy to say a lot of things here, but part of the joy of it all is simply discovery, getting lost in it. For all the formality and structure of music, it's all really about expression, about moments, when making choices about things like this early on as you are, keep in mind to balance your energy and enthusiasm for playing, with the best ways to learn - to help you fuel your enthusiasm and further your love for your music, with ultimately what makes you happy, when your in the moment, just sitting playing your guitar.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

another tip

Postby durashka567 on Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:06 pm

I agree with pretty much what everyone has said thus far, this forum really seems to offer some good advice musically.

This might be a little in advance of where you are now, but it is definitely something you could bear in mind for the future. It is something I wish I had been more aware of learning to play and concentrated on more, earlier.

Learn to mute the strings that you are not playing, with your fretting hand. This frees up the right hand to move more rhythmically and will make your playing flow more.

As I mentioned earlier, when you are desperately trying to work out how to let all the open strings ring while playing open A7 it might seem strange that, at some point, you are to going to actually want those percussive muted string clicks. But you will, and so be aware of making it happen early, as you learn...
durashka567
GLIB

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:59 pm

Then again you may want to not have any guitar lessons and just teach yourself... I did and it's a lot more rewarding. Well, that's how i found it anyway...

But i've been playing for fourteen years and i can barely remember how difficult it was. The strumming was the main point of difficulty for me. It all comes with time. You have to just stick with it.... Good luck.
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:53 am

Of course, the most important thing is to enjoy it. Whatever keeps you at it so that you improve is good. I took lessons when I was a kid for about two years, and was fortunate to have two excellent teachers - they not only gave me "just enough" theory, they JAMMED with me! That was tons of fun.

Also, I had a much older friend back then who was a very good player and knew tons and tons of good songs. He'd come over to the house and we'd play and I learned all kinds of great stuff from him.

Having a friend who can help you learn is a tremendous way to go.
minstrel

Re: I just got my guitar and I need help...

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:32 pm

Does anyone here know anything about or play bass guitar?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:40 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Does anyone here know anything about or play bass guitar?

I used to play bass, but its been sitting in my closet for years now.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Sir Shit Stain Sr. on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:58 pm

I teach music and used to do so in Tucson, Arizona for the last 4 years. If anyone needs direction in playing guitar they should send me their email address and I can send them details of how to study more effectively. I did some research here and it seems that tyrone shoelaces might be one of my pupils by the name of Richard Opher. So I just want to say hello. That person can verify my teachings.
Sir Shit Stain Sr.
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Sir Shit Stain Sr. on Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:17 am

Sir Shit Stain Sr. wrote:I teach music and used to do so in Tucson, Arizona for the last 4 years. If anyone needs direction in playing guitar they should send me their email address and I can send them details of how to study more effectively. I did some research here and it seems that tyrone shoelaces might be one of my pupils by the name of Richard Opher. So I just want to say hello. That person can verify my teachings.

Why has someone changed my name here? I posted the above quote originally?
Sir Shit Stain Sr.
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:18 am

I'm gonna need to see some proof before I start believing you...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Sir Shit Stain Sr. on Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:29 am

Feel free to give me your email address or Facebook link and I will help you.
Sir Shit Stain Sr.
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:36 am

Sir Shit Stain Sr. wrote:Feel free to give me your email address or Facebook link and I will help you.

Can you teach me how to play the guitar that's in Richey's stomach...?
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Gerald Fried on Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:18 am

Sir Shit Stain Sr. wrote:I teach music and used to do so in Tucson, Arizona for the last 4 years. If anyone needs direction in playing guitar they should send me their email address and I can send them details of how to study more effectively. I did some research here and it seems that tyrone shoelaces might be one of my pupils by the name of Richard Opher. So I just want to say hello. That person can verify my teachings.

Research isn't always helpful, Mr Sommers.
Gerald Fried
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby papalazeru on Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:03 am

Play some bloody decent music.

Like Albeniz or Granados. Now they were decent composers and player, not like nowadays with your cheap 5 chords.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Return to Music