John Williams at the Hollywood Bowl (Bamf's Second Year!)

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

John Williams at the Hollywood Bowl (Bamf's Second Year!)

Postby bamf on Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:51 am

Its titled John Williams: Music of the movies. Im real freaking excited about this. I have heard about these sorts of things, Howard Shore doing the LOTR score, or Final Fantasy 7 music being performed live. I never thought I would see it my self, but now that has all changed. John Williams, do I really need to go down the list? Even if he isnt doing just his stuff, Im sure its going to be awesome. Im so damn excited that I would put it on par with seeing Smashing Pumpkins, Sublime and Mozart all on one bill. Ya, im geeking out. Any other fellow zoners going to this?
Last edited by bamf on Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:57 am

Dammit. Is he doing any UK venues or is it a one-off, being the Bowl and all?
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bamf on Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:59 am

A quick search yields nothing more then the two LA dates this weekend, but maybe hes just warming up.
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:24 am

I've seen a lot of film music concerts including the LOTR one by Howard Shore!

They fucking rule! Go to one! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:50 am

I'd fucking love to go to one of Shore's concerts...when is the next LOTR in the UK?

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:41 am

Dunno... saw it at Royal Albert Hall.... breathtaking! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:44 am

*fills with envy*

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bamf on Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:01 am

I just returned from the concert and what a show it was. John Williams with the Los Angeles Philharmonic was amazing. Before I get into it I have to relay the two most disappointing moments of the night. The first had nothing at all to do with Williams. I brought a bottle of wine to enjoy with the music. A Sommelier I’m not, but I know my way around a bar. The house lights had just gone down and I was fumbling with the wine key. I pierced the cork, and suddenly my hand felt wet. The theme song to Fox studios started up and I raised the bottle to what little light I had. I managed to push the cork back into the bottle while splashing over remnants all over my pants. It was salvageable but what a lame start on my part. The second disappointment came from Williams him self. After an outstanding show he ended it all with the NBC Nightly News theme song. Why I cant tell you. The crowd was chuckling through out the big movements, and while cool to hear, it was not the song to end on. But who am I to question John Williams.

He went right into the music following the 20th century Fox theme. I’m rusty on my older stuff, so I wont be able to give you a song for song recounting. There was definitely some Citizen Kane, but the show really took off when he dove into Hitchcock. He told a story about Herrmann being a bit of a curmudgeon. Williams played piano for him on the Twilight Zone. He explained because of this said attitude there were not many humorous stories about him, save this one. Spielberg was a big fan of Herrmann, and one day came when the two had finally crossed paths. Spielberg approached Herrmann and went on and on about how much of a fan he was and how high he held the man for his musical talents. Herrmann replied, “If you like my music so much, why do you keep hiring Williams?â€
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:26 am

What a concert. God I wish he'd come to the Netherlands one day and perform in Ahoy or de Kuip or what ever. Pure brilliance, all these performances. The departure of Williams in the Potter franchise is a real lost for the series. Doyle did a decent job, but honestly, it was just mediocre compared to Williams efforts in the first 3 films. Just watch that clip!! How could warner let him go... :(
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:43 pm

I got f'n chills just reading all of this.

BTW: Any word of this going to CD a la Symphony and Metallica?

Just hoping.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby bamf on Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:10 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:I got f'n chills just reading all of this.

Just hoping.

Thanks, I was hoping I could give some justice to the experience. I myself had spine tingles going on the entire time. My face had a permanent smile etched into it and I felt like I was 8 years old again.

*EDIT, no I dont think this will be a DVD this time. L4m3 I know
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:20 pm

bamf wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:I got f'n chills just reading all of this.

Just hoping.

Thanks, I was hoping I could give some justice to the experience. I myself had spine tingles going on the entire time. My face had a permanent smile etched into it and I felt like I was 8 years old again.

*EDIT, no I dont think this will be a DVD this time. L4m3 I know

An uncut DVD would be cool, or at least an uncut CD. Bootlegs anyone?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby bamf on Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:13 pm

It was two hours before showtime when my date, the beautiful Phyllis(Grandma of Bamf), and I stepped on to the shuttle bus that would take us downtown to see John Williams compose the L.A. Philharmonic at the Hollywood Bowl in Hollywood California. I had packed a light French picnic for us, cracker, cheese and a bottle of wine to enjoy through out the evening. We had done this together last year, and were a bit savvier this time. Last time I had attempted to remove the cork after arriving, and in the dark managed to push the stopper through the bottle which had me removing odds and ends from each glass poured—this time I removed it prior to leaving. We also were far closer to the stage, and Grandma was able to score some tickets that are reserved for seniors and their guests so that made me the youngest gentlemen in a line of the old and seasoned.

I regretfully forgot my camera—but was able to snap some pictures with my 1.3 megapix camera phone which I will share through out this post as I take you through the nights concert experience.

On the ride to the Bowl the bus was packed with all walks of life. On our right side, we were seated next to a family in comic themed shirts and Light Sabers in hand; on our left were elderly couples with prestigious looking wicker baskets and wing tip shoes. During conversation, one of the comic book guys was razzing his fellow traveler for wearing sweatpants and a tee-shirt. He spoke on how this is the sort of event you dress up for…

“Look at me, I put on my dress shoes, dress slacks and took out my best Green Lantern shirt! I’m dressed up—for a geek.â€
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:46 pm

Oh man this sounds fantastic. He realy has to hit the Europe any time soon. Londen, Berlin or even better somewhere close in the Netherlands. But don't matter, anywhere in Europe I'd go :)
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Zarles on Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:22 pm

bamf, this is incredible. I've been wanting to see John Williams perform since I was a kid. Lucky, lucky you.

Maybe someday. I think if I heard music from Close Encounters performed by a live orchestra, I would die right on the spot.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Music