The Most Underrated Band

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

The Most Underrated Band

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:35 am

I believe the most underated band in recent history is Squeeze (at least in the U.S.).

Consistently great albums (even after they stopped selling), and at least two perfect pop albums: "East Side Story" and "Play". "Cool For Cats" is pretty damn good front to back as well.

And "Tempted" is still my favorite song 24 years on.

What's your pick?
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:29 am

Most underrated band? The Dead, They Can a Dance, eh?

They broke up inna the mid-late 90s, but holy crappa did a they put out some a great music.
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:32 am

I should just go around copy pasting all these musical suggestions you guys keep making all over the place and checking out some of these groups you list, I haven't even heard of most of these.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby vicious_bastard on Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:43 am

Squeeze are great - I love 'Up The Junction'. Big Star are another brilliant, little known band.
At The Drive-In should have taken over the world but split up instead. Relationship Of Command is in my top 5 albums - I smell another thread...
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby vicious_bastard on Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:47 am

Pacino86845 wrote:I should just go around copy pasting all these musical suggestions you guys keep making all over the place and checking out some of these groups you list, I haven't even heard of most of these.

I have discovered so much good stuff thanks internet (esp. forum based) recommendations - no way would I have come across them anywhere else. I can't imagine life without Edan, Fingathing or Joanna Newsom.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:47 am

Most underrated Band: Starland Vocal Band.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:06 pm

The Jam. Huge in England, marginalized in the USA. Geez.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:44 pm

Or the English Beat. Same fate as The Jam. General Public did O.K. stateside though.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:45 pm

O.K., so how come "f a t e" comes out as studly?
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby vicious_bastard on Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:49 pm

A fatal mistake. It must be fate, father. Fuck, I can't even say f a t h e r
Sort it out Doc. I can still say morbidly obese, after all.

How can I discuss The studly Boys, studly Sam, Chow Yun-Fat, Fatal Attraction or Father Christmas?
Last edited by vicious_bastard on Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:51 pm

"I am your father Luke"

Yep, guess so!
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:53 pm

WinslowLeach wrote:Most underrated Band: Starland Vocal Band.

Tell a me you are a making with a the funny right? A 'cos I only a know a the Afternoon Delight... Did a they really do more that is a deserving of a the praise?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:56 pm

studly gets a turn inna to studly anna Dumbledore, she turn inna to "my lover"... so iffa someone wanna to say "Harry, he's a studly, anna he's a Dumbledore..." well, you see?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby vicious_bastard on Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:58 pm

studly

How did you do that Dino? Are you immune to this flagrant censorship?
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:01 pm

IPAMPILASH!!

You have a much a to learn, Grasshopper...
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby DennisMM on Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:34 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

Tell a me you are a making with a the funny right? A 'cos I only a know a the Afternoon Delight... Did a they really do more that is a deserving of a the praise?

They had their own summer show in 1977, moving from fair to festival to other outdoor fun venue, if I recall correctly. David Letterman was a writer and performer, along with Mark Russel, Jeff Altman and Phil Proctor.

Not the first time the supporting players outshone the stars.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:41 pm

DennisMM wrote:
DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

They had their own summer show in 1977, moving from fair to festival to other outdoor fun venue, if I recall correctly. David Letterman was a writer and performer, along with Mark Russel, Jeff Altman and Phil Proctor.

Not the first time the supporting players outshone the stars.

I thought I had a head full of random music trivia, but in the last two days you've pulled out Richard Marx's "Hazzard" video, and the Starland Vocal Band's variety show. You are truly the music minutia master!
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Brocktune on Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:29 pm

Most Underrated Band:
Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire
http://www.andrewbird.net
actually the bowl of fire is no longer existant, but they had three of the most amazing records of the last ten years. He (bird) is still writing and performing as andrew bird, and he is absolutely incredible. truly moving stuff. i fail to understand how his stuff is not appreciated by more people.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:32 pm

Brocktune wrote:Most Underrated Band:
Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire
http://www.andrewbird.net
actually the bowl of fire is no longer existant, but they had three of the most amazing records of the last ten years. He (bird) is still writing and performing as andrew bird, and he is absolutely incredible. truly moving stuff. i fail to understand how his stuff is not appreciated by more people.

A Nervous Tic of Motion Of The Head To The Left is a great song. Wasn't he the lead singer of Squirrel Nut Zippers?
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Brocktune on Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:47 pm

no, but he was their violin player without being an official touring member. i love the Squirrel Nut Zippers, and yet i feel that all of Birds work has been superior to anything the zippers did. I mean, that ep "Weather Systems" that he did. rarely will you come across a record so emotionally gripping and sincere without the lyrics being over the top and cheesy and well, downright melodramatic. thats not to say his other work is inferior. im glad youve heard of him. if you have the chance to see him live, do it, he is awesome. The drummer for the Bowl of Fire, is still the sometimes drummer for the solo bird, and he too is amazing. one of the top 5 drummers of all time for me. incidentally, Jimbo Mathus, Tom Maxwell, and Katherine Whalen were the 3 different vocalists for the Zippers.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:56 pm

I only have a few of Bird's songs: Nervous Tic, Sovay and Skin Is, My. All of them are fantastic. I'll have to check out "Weather Systems".

Thanks for the Squirrel Nut Zippers info. I'm not sure how I knew that Bird had anything at all to do with them.
Last edited by St. Alphonzo on Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Brocktune on Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:06 pm

once you really start listening to his records, if you go back and listen to the zippers, you will really hear his contribution.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:37 pm

Brocktune wrote:Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire

Onna the first glance, I read that as a the "Fowl of Fire" a 'cos a the "Bird"

IPAMPILASH!
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:41 pm

"Fowl of Fire" would be a great band name!

"Phoenix" is just too bland.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:47 pm

SQUIRREL NUT ZIPPERS....WHOOO HOO.
PUT A LID ON IT INDEED.

Personally I think Gomez are the most underrated band around at the moment. Have the yanks heard of them?
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Brocktune on Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:49 pm

how about Fowl Afire?
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:59 pm

Or just "Rotisserie Chicken"
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:04 pm

Does Anyone like Gomez?
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:08 pm

I like Gomez.

Saw them live at a festival in Oakland and was very impressed.

How's the live album from the Fillmore?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:50 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:
I thought I had a head full of random music trivia, but in the last two days you've pulled out Richard Marx's "Hazzard" video, and the Starland Vocal Band's variety show. You are truly the music minutia master!

Thanks, but I can't take all the credit. You may recall that my memory of "Hazzard" was piqued by another Zoner's reference to the song, so I only get half score for that.

I remember the SVB show because I watched a few episodes. Letterman's presence escaped me until maybe 10 years ago when I saw a clip somewhere. He also was in Mary Tyler Moore's variety series. And Jeff Altman was the non-interpreter on "Pink Lady and Jeff."

In the days before the electronic database kiosk, when I sold records, one of my managers called me "The Human Phonolog." He was being kind, but I do have far too much nonsense stuffed in my brain.

And remember, Alphonzo -- I learned what I have by living through most of this shit. Once you've heard "Quick Joey Small" by The Kasenetz-Katz (sp?) Singing Orchestral Circus a few times, your brain is permanently traumatized. Maybe that explains why I kept the single for over 25 years.
DennisMM

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:43 pm

DennisMM wrote:
St. Alphonzo wrote:

And remember, Alphonzo -- I learned what I have by living through most of this shit. Once you've heard "Quick Joey Small" by The Kasenetz-Katz (sp?) Singing Orchestral Circus a few times, your brain is permanently traumatized. Maybe that explains why I kept the single for over 25 years.

Everything I know I learned by listenting to "Pac Man Fever" by Buckner and Garcia.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby DennisMM on Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:49 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:
DennisMM wrote:
St. Alphonzo wrote:

Everything I know I learned by listenting to "Pac Man Fever" by Buckner and Garcia.

It ain't no "Curly Shuffle," but it'll do.
DennisMM

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:54 pm

DennisMM wrote:
St. Alphonzo wrote:
DennisMM wrote:
St. Alphonzo wrote:

... or "Super Bowl Shuffle" for that matter.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby DennisMM on Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:04 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:
DennisMM wrote:
St. Alphonzo wrote:Everything I know I learned by listenting to "Pac Man Fever" by Buckner and Garcia.

... or "Super Bowl Shuffle" for that matter.

Now you're playing dirty.

Time to close up parts of the building for the night. Then home. Finally.
Last edited by DennisMM on Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DennisMM

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:06 pm

I don't know if they're underrated or not but I just started listening to the Shins and they're amazing.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:08 pm

Okay, one more minute before I go.

"The Antler Dance" by Paul Shaffer and Mr. Mike. Was that even realeased, or was it just on TV?
DennisMM

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:12 pm

Adam Balm wrote:I don't know if they're underrated or not but I just started listening to the Shins and they're amazing.

Probably not underrated, but certainly under-known. Great band. I wasn't a big fan of "Garden State", but I loved the scene in the doctor's office where Portman's listening to The Shins:

"Listen to this, it'll change your life" (or something like that)
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:13 pm

I have not seen Garden State. Which song is that?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:15 pm

"New Slang" off of Oh, Inverted World.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:15 pm

DennisMM wrote:Okay, one more minute before I go.

"The Antler Dance" by Paul Shaffer and Mr. Mike. Was that even realeased, or was it just on TV?

As far as I know it was just an SNL sketch. I can't believe I can remember that.

You must be as old as me.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:42 pm

New Slang is definitely the best new song I've heard all year...

And I fucking lost it in a computer crash.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby docfalken on Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:45 pm

I'm going to say "Ready for the World". What a powerful group with amazing songs in the mid-eighties. And they've been totally under represented in this remix age.
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:47 pm

Oh! Oh Shiela!
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby docfalken on Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:50 pm

One more post St. Alphonzo!
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby wonkabar on Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:50 pm

I still crank "We belong" by Pat Benetar
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:50 pm

Does anyone remember Mary's Danish?

They put out three great, original albums (plus a live one), and then record company bullshit broke them up.

"Circa" is a fantastic disc.

Yee Haw..... 100 posts! I'm immortal!
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby wonkabar on Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:51 pm

Congrats pimitive skrewhead
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby docfalken on Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:52 pm

I know ABBA isn't a under appreciated group (well, maybe by today's youth), but if you turn on "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!" to 11 on your headphones, you might just see the face of God.
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby wonkabar on Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:52 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:Does anyone remember Mary's Danish?

They put out three great, original albums (plus a live one), and then record company bullshit broke them up.

"Circa" is a fantastic disc.

Yee Haw..... 100 posts! I'm immortal!

Great band
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Brocktune on Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:52 pm

the super bowl shuffle. hahaha. anybody remember the video for that song? my friend and i always laugh at it, because right up in the front of the rest of the bears, are McMahon, The Fridge, Sweetness, and then the fucking kicker. scrawny old number 4. i dont know why that was always so funny. i guess you can tell how my friend and i feel about kickers.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Music