The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:17 pm

music mod edit

they ended up giving it a 9.4, which is high praise indeed from those guys. I do really want to find out just how good it is.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:25 pm

ORO wrote:The best 'new' records I've heard...
5. BOYS AND GIRLS IN AMERICA (The Hold Steady)

stereosforgeeks wrote:AGREED!!!!

:lol: 8) :wink:

still streaming for free @ http://www.vagrant.com/holdsteady_listeningparty/.

I'm just going to come out and say I can't review this album without an immense bias in favor of my fave songwriter alive, the Buddy Holly lookin' dork with an angelic face, pudgy bod, and oodles and oodles of empathy, wit and wisdom.

But I'll say this, from the day I got this (week ago today) it has been the only thing I've listened to in my car and I can't see me pulling it out until I go to their show next week in SF ('cuz if you play the band your going to see on the way to the show you are a fucking loser).

"Lost in fog and love and faithless fear / I've had kisses that made Judas seem sincere"

"You don't have to go the right type of school / let your boyfriend go to the right type of school.
You can wear his old sweatshirt / you can cover yourself like a bruise
".

"I had my mouth on her nose when the chaperon told us we were dancing too close"

"She was a really good kisser / but she wasn't all that strict of a Christian"

"I feel Jesus in the clumsiness of young and awkward lovers"

"they started kissing when the nurses took off their I.V's
it was kinda sexy but it was kinda creepy / their mouths were fizzy with cherry cola
they had the privacy of bedsheets / and all the other kids were mostly in comas
"

"when they kiss they spit white noise"

oodles and oodles of others I can jot down, mini-revelations spoken-sung over melodic, rocking interplay of guitar and keys.

you can either deal with Craig's voice or you can't, and I can't argue with folks who can't stand it. A nasally whine is hardly ear candy. But working within those severe vocal limitations, Finn spins delirious tales of hard partying losers, torn lovers, random hook-ups, people looking to connect, to escape their personal demons. Others who are better at this type of thing have said it already, but it bears repeating; by setting his stories in specific places with recurring characters Finn has pulled off a neat trick by taking the micro and making it macro.

But you can't trust me, I've been a Finn-natic since the seminal post-punk days of Lifter-Puller. If you like The Hold Steady, buy / downsteal the double disc The Soft Rock. Not as top to bottom winners like the three Hold Steady albums, but "Sangre de Stephanie" is my fave song from Finn's now considerable catalog.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:33 pm

I love the album.

My one complaint is that lyrically it feels off. I loved how specific Finn was lyrically so this album feels a bit lackluster in this department.

However, musically its among some of the best they've done. I was initially worried about them being on vagrant but you can really hear what the extra money in production did for them
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:41 pm

"Chips Ahoy" video

heh, I love how in the Hold Steady universe, pool and pizza delivery boys get some before dorky newscasters...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:32 am

I got this off Emusic the other day, after it featured in so many of your '06 top tens.

I'd downloaded Chips Ahoy to see what KC was harping on about a while back and thought it was OK. So I was not expecting to instantly like Boys and Girls. Hey, it's a real grower, very intelligently put together, great lyrically too.

Does seem to sound better when I'm driving.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:09 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:I got this off Emusic the other day, after it featured in so many of your '06 top tens.

did you give 'em my email addy saying that I pimped the site to you?

no?

FUCK YOU!

I WANT MY 50 FREE DOWNLOADS!

:evil:
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:39 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote:I got this off Emusic the other day, after it featured in so many of your '06 top tens.

did you give 'em my email addy saying that I pimped the site to you?

no?

FUCK YOU!

I WANT MY 50 FREE DOWNLOADS!

:evil:

But Art Brut's 50 track remix album ( 'Wanky', I think they called it ) has been pulled...
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Silent Shout on Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:52 am

Oddly enough, Chips Ahoy is one of my least favorite tracks on the album. Why it was the lead single, or a single at all, I do not know. The album itself is fantastic as a whole though, a fine piece of writing in terms of a "theme album". Stuck Between Stations has some of my favorite lyrics of any song in the last few years. Great Americana-esque bar style rock, definitely recommended.
I just want your music tonight
Silent Shout
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Return to Music