Oasis

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Oasis

Postby shakermakerman on Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:31 am

Oasis is my favorite band of all time and they are legends and the best band in the world IMO , Their bringing out a greatest hits in november and a film out called 'Lord dont slow me down' I cant wait to see that. :D

discuss.
shakermakerman
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby wonkabar on Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:57 pm

No Oasis thread would be complete without this :wink:
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:01 pm

Definitely Maybe is a personal top ten album but I can understand the criticism. After Morning Glory I kinda stopped listening, Importance of Being Idle was good though.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby shakermakerman on Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:10 pm

wonkabar wrote:No Oasis thread would be complete without this :wink:

lol to right there mate i love the stone rose's as well and they can be said as the original Oasis
shakermakerman
MONKEY BUTLER

Re: Oasis

Postby brabs on Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:16 pm

shakermakerman wrote:Oasis is my favorite band of all time and they are legends and the best band in the world"

Seconded.
brabs
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:53 am

It's actually called 'Stop the clocks'.

They used to be my favourite band too. Until 1998.
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:56 am

Why is Oasis your favorite band? They don't impress me much.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:02 am

Are you Shania Twain?

I think it was more of a cultural thing at the time. The British charts were full of complete toss and then a band came along that could actually write a few decent songs and everyone went mad for them...

There first album is still very good, subsequent ones, not so much....
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:12 am

Am I Shania Twain?

Where the H*** did THAT come from?

Um, just to be clear, the answer is no. And I'm not even a fan of hers.

I kinda thought some of the love for Oasis was because the two brothers didn't get along. Sort of a Kinks kind of thing - it worked for them, why not for Oasis?
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:04 am

minstrel wrote:Why is Oasis your favorite band? They don't impress me much.

I seem to remember Shania Twain not being particularly impressed with many things as her song would suggest, like rocket scientists and such...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Chilli on Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:43 am

I seem to remember Shania Twain not being particularly impressed with many things as her song would suggest, like rocket scientists and such...

I'm not impressed with a cretin who can't sing.

I dig Oasis meself. Some great songs, some decent songs, some crap songs, but through it all they give pretty damn brutal interviews.

The digs at Chris Martin never cease to amuse.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby shakermakerman on Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:20 pm

minstrel wrote:Am I Shania Twain?

Where the H*** did THAT come from?

Um, just to be clear, the answer is no. And I'm not even a fan of hers.

I kinda thought some of the love for Oasis was because the two brothers didn't get along. Sort of a Kinks kind of thing - it worked for them, why not for Oasis?

They DO get on but they just live there life infront of us and dont put a front up for the camaras, My brother and myself now still have fall outs and im 30 and hes 34 lol as for why i like them , it was them that got me into proper music back in 94 and got me out of rave crap. And IMHO they have not made a bad album yet 'Be Here Now' was over produced but i still like it, I listend to Heathen Chemistry the other day and i still think that album is great. The last album 'Dont Believe the truth' is also great and very underated... and why else do i like them????? have you ever seen them live???? they are Fuckin awesome and just there stage presents is worth every penny.
shakermakerman
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:24 pm

I LUV SHANIA TWAIN!!! Not only does she have great funbags but I really dig her ballads! That and that Pussycat Doll one where that redheaded one keeps on gyrating her hips really erotically annoyingly.

Much better than Little frickin' James I tell ya!

Now I will gladly stand up in a pubful of Scouser Wankers and declare my love for them, just so I can put it in my 'Worst Kick Ins You've Had' thread.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby shakermakerman on Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:20 am

thebostonlocksmith wrote:It's actually called 'Stop the clocks'.

They used to be my favourite band too. Until 1998.

have you heared dont believe the truth? 3rd best album but i love them all s.o.t.s.o.g had to grow on me for a bit.
shakermakerman
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby El Borak on Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:33 pm

sorry can't stand oasis. they have some catchy songs but the whole attitude/vibe pisses me off.
El Borak
GLIB

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:01 pm

Standing on the shoulders of giants. That is probably one of the worst albums i own. I do listen to some of there stuff occaisionally. I think their last album was quite good, before that if you could have taken maybe one or two of the better songs off the subsequent albums after morning glory then you would have had one really great album, opposed to the three quite poor ones.
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby sleepflower on Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:31 pm

No matter how bad they will get or have been in the past, if you count how many great songs they have, and how many great albums, there is still more than most bands. If I had to count the amount of songs you could put on an oasis best of and not be filler, you are talking about a disc album. How many bands can say that? Masterplan could have been a better B-side album, wish they had re-produced a few of the tracks.

There are a few reasons they got so huge...

People could relate to their music without it being dumbed down. They were part of a whole social change, men in their late twenties and thirties going to gigs and guys actually dancing at clubs again. They were part of a turnaround of being proud to be British. Their singles also sold tons, mainly because even if you had the album, you knew there would be 3 other tracks (Ihate the fact it is now only two, otherwise considered an EP) you will like you don't already own. In the indie charts they would have like 10 singles all charting in a week, the back catalogue of singles has sold like no other band I know.

2 great albums, a better B-sides album than any other band, 2 good albums and the rest are merely ok. Still better than the majority, and while at their best, no one can better them (though possibly equal I admit). I personally hope for a ten year anniversary they re make be here now, as even Noel has gone on record to say it was over produced. They know it went wrong, but when you hear Noel doing Don't Go Away live acoustically, it really is a breathtaking song, and by far my favourite of theirs.

I also wish a few different B-sides had been chosen for masterplan, and for b-sides on a single my favourite is roll with it, though as it is one of my least favourite tracks I also own the Australian Import of Morning Glory single which ahas the same B-sides. Rocking Chair. Better People. Live Forever (Live at Glastonbury)
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:21 pm

It was Blur all the way for me. Much finer band and look at Damon now...doing well for himself and moving with a creative streak...unlike some stupid indy plebs who indulge in nothing more than mindless catchy tunes, getting pissed and saying "Sound!"
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Brocktune on Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:23 pm

thebostonlocksmith wrote:I think it was more of a cultural thing at the time. The British charts were full of complete toss and then a band came along that could actually write a few decent songs and everyone went mad for them...

yup.

and that band was called "Blur".
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Mij on Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:23 pm

papalazeru wrote:It was Blur all the way for me. Much finer band and look at Damon now...doing well for himself and moving with a creative streak...unlike some stupid indy plebs who indulge in nothing more than mindless catchy tunes, getting pissed and saying "Sound!"

Waudwadwudwaud - waudwaudwaud????!!! - WaudwadWAUDWAD!!!!!!!!!!!?????????? :evil: :evil: :evil:
Mij
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby sleepflower on Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:25 pm

papalazeru wrote:It was Blur all the way for me. Much finer band and look at Damon now...doing well for himself and moving with a creative streak...unlike some stupid indy plebs who indulge in nothing more than mindless catchy tunes, getting pissed and saying "Sound!"

Blur had their fair share of mindless tunes, as much as Oasis has tunes that were more than pop singalongs. To reduce a band with such a catalogue of tunes to being guys who only got pissed and said 'sound' is ridiculous. They often said 'avin it' and took coke.

Yes Damon seems talented, yes blur were good. I have albums of both. I just think that the best oasis produced was slightly better and when it came to good, produced far more. Im not the biggest fan of most of blurs albums, too many filler tracks, they also had poor b-sides. Amazing singles however. Both were popular, just explaining why oasis were, some of the reasons blur were popular too.
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby sleepflower on Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:29 pm

Brocktune wrote:
thebostonlocksmith wrote:I think it was more of a cultural thing at the time. The British charts were full of complete toss and then a band came along that could actually write a few decent songs and everyone went mad for them...

yup.

Unable to keep this to being about one band or one subject instead of reducing this to a 'my bands better than yours'???

Yes blur were part of it, as were oasis (to disregard them is mindless) along with many others.

My personal opinion was that blur didn't relate to the drunken male masses in the same way as oasis. Whether that is a good or bad thing I don't know, just at the time I though it brought people together.
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby Mij on Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:37 pm

sleepflower wrote:
Brocktune wrote:

yup.

Unable to keep this to being about one band or one subject instead of reducing this to a 'my bands better than yours'???

Yes blur were part of it, as were oasis (to disregard them is mindless) along with many others.

My personal opinion was that blur didn't relate to the drunken male masses in the same way as oasis. Whether that is a good or bad thing I don't know, just at the time I though it brought people together.

WAOUDWAOUDWAOUDWODWOD!!!!!!!!!!

Wod!! - Wudwaudwudwuad? - Waudwudwud, wudwad!!!

WODWODWOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mij
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Brocktune on Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:43 pm

you tell im, mij.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:46 pm

I can't wait till Mij reaches the big Toshiro Lucas...I wonder what her custom name will be?

papalazeru

Postby Mij on Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:48 pm

papalazeru wrote:I can't wait till Mij reaches the big Toshiro Lucas...I wonder what HER custom name will be?

Wudwadwaudwad.... WEEEEEEERRRRRD!!!! :evil:
Mij
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby papalazeru on Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:52 pm

Awww....Bless her little cotton socks, shes throwing a tantrum. Typical girl.

I got a log for ya to gnaw through, let me just squat down and build you a home.

papalazeru

Postby Mij on Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:55 pm

papalazeru wrote:Awww....Bless her little cotton socks, shes throwing a tantrum. Typical girl.

I got a log for ya to gnaw through, let me just squat down and build you a home.

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHD!!!!!!!!!!

WODWODWODWODWODWODWOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wadwaodwodowad......... WODWODWODWODWODWODWODWOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Mij on Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mij
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby papalazeru on Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:56 pm

If your twat was as big as your mouth I would have had it by now my dear.

Still....ur a bit of looker. Maybe I'll give you a curteosy freebee one of these days so you know what its like to have sex. Or I could continue with the logs and you can get under me and pretend to be a japanese schoolgirl.

papalazeru

Postby Mij on Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:01 pm

WODWODWODWODWOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wud....................... waudwadwadwudwudwadwadwud!?!??!?

WAUDWAODWAUDWOOOAAADDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

waudwaudwaudwudwud....

WODWODWODWODWOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mij
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby papalazeru on Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:02 pm

Hahaha! Love that picture.

Jus me and the notorious Q-U-I-N-T.

papalazeru

Postby Seppuku on Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:11 pm

Woah I never realised how scary otters look when they face you head on. Freaky.

Anyway, I'm not sure who I'm with here. One of the best gigs I ever went to was Oasis at Glastonbury in 1994. Liam and his amazing chin-singing pwned all that night.

This is what I mean by chin-singing by the way:

I don't give a shit if they based their whole act on the Beatles' Rain; I mean if you're gonna rip off the Beatles, mining their best song's a good way to go about it. And I'll admit I keep on catching little parts of old songs that make me stop and think, "Hey, that sounds like the intro to Supersonic"...being as Noel is a wholesale looter, that goes without saying. But when I listen to a song, I don't try and dissect it, it's just what it is. And a lot of Oasis' songs have/had good hooks. Which is pretty much the main thing I look for in music.

Then again, I haven't bought an album of their's after The Masterplan (which I quite liked), and I still occasionally check out whatever project Damon's got on the run, so as far as I'm concerned, Oasis are time-frozen into the mid-90's as the figureheads of a real groovy happenin'.

Blur's Modern Life is Rubbish and some of the more metronome-sounding tracks off Parklife are better though- at least to me. I'll admit, Damon kinda reeks of student bullshit-merchants- and he and his ex Justine probably did even more looting than Oasis, though they tapped New Wave instead (Wire did a song called Song 1...................). But again, it's all about the tunes, and tracks like Tracy Jacks and For Tomorrow still sound amazing to me (partly because I live- very temporarily, I'll be on my boat soon- 15 minutes from Walton, which is where Tracy Jacks is set).

So, to summate, Noodle from Gorillaz pwns them both.
Last edited by Seppuku on Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby sleepflower on Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:16 pm

Good summary. It's not who did it first, it's whether it is good, and if it means something to you. For a huge number of people blur and oasis meant something.

Having to agree oasis are stuck in the 90s, tough was nice to see some nice new tracks on the last album. Wonder what would have happened if after the first 3 noel had gone solo when bonehead and guigsy left?
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby shakermakerman on Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:31 pm

i got into oasis when live forever came out and never got out of them, i own every cd they have released in the uk. I do disagree with you saying that they are stuck in the 90s i think most people think that because of Deff maybe and Morning Glory and i dont think they can do better than them albums they are just perfect, there last album Dont Believe The Truth is very good and is one to look back on and heathen chemistry is great.

Their greatest hits have just been released its called Stop The Clocks, i was a bit pissed off that there was no new stuff on there but an interview with noel he say a new album will be ready next year (believe that when i see it), but any way Stop the clocks album is quite good saying i have them songs already.
Last edited by shakermakerman on Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shakermakerman
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:46 pm

I don't think you are, fella. Could get the webmasters in trouble.

I saw Oasis in Glasto in 2004... sorry to say one of the most drably appalling performances I've ever been to. And I like them.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby brabs on Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:03 pm

shakermakerman nice one for that fella, been lookin for that all over the net. What a fuckin tune that is. Now, please, make my day and tell me you have Stop The Clocks (the song that is).

shakermakerman = geezer.
brabs
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby brabs on Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:19 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
I saw Oasis in Glasto in 2004... sorry to say one of the most drably appalling performances I've ever been to. And I like them.

I think how they perform live all depends on how Liam and Noel are getting on before the show. I've seen Oasis 10 times, and had the fortune to be at Maine Road (1996) and Manchester Apollo (10 years of Noise & Confusion tour 2001) where they were awesome, but also the misfortune to be at Wembley Stadium (2000) and V festival Stafford (2005) when they weren't so great. I think they had a bit of a punch-up the night before I went to Wembley and they defo had some sort of row when I saw them at V cos' they were sniping at one another throughout the set.

So my theory is: all smiles = good show/arguments + punch-ups= bad show.

Also, and this is no detriment to AH's quote but my mate who was also at Glastonbury that year said the wind blew the sound all over the place.
brabs
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:00 pm

I can't say I remember any wind... a lot of rain earlier in the day, but no wind. Truth was their performance was disinterested at best and had about as much life as a week-old corpse.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby brabs on Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:21 pm

fair play dude, i weren't there so i cant say.

btw, love your sig!
brabs
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:32 pm

Heheh, wish I could take credit!

Maybe your friend was higher up the field? I was in the middle and Glasto's main stage is kinda bowl-shaped.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby brabs on Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:46 pm

maybe. i don't know, i've never been to Glastonbury. I spent 24 solid hours on the phone trying to get tickets for that festival, and after that farce I won't be trying again. I'd still love to go though.
brabs
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby shakermakerman on Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:23 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:I don't think you are, fella. Could get the webmasters in trouble.

iv taken it of now, i have that gig on dvd i thought they was ok it , but u could tell they didnt want to be there.
shakermakerman
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby shakermakerman on Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:25 pm

brabs wrote:shakermakerman nice one for that fella, been lookin for that all over the net. What a fuckin tune that is. Now, please, make my day and tell me you have Stop The Clocks (the song that is).

shakermakerman = geezer.

no mate, the closest iv seen that song is on the inside sleave on the best of. here is a great oasis forum
http://mad4itdownloads.10.forumer.com/index.php

:wink: :wink: :wink:
shakermakerman
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby shakermakerman on Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:39 pm

im sorry but blur are awfull live. (late post i know).
shakermakerman
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:56 pm

I remember seeing them on TV, perform live at Glastonbury or something which included Sterotypes and Damon Allbran talking some bollox about how to perform one of his songs in a certain way so that the audience could get a bit more... and all he did then was point his hand out, trying to portray what he meant. Farking bollox talking wanka. The set BTW Shaker, was absolutely shite also.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby SilentBobX on Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:34 pm

Oasis doesn't impress me as a band. I've heard some of their music, but their attitude turns me off to them. I remember one of them, Liam Gallagher I think(could be wrong) slamming Paul McCartney, whose worst solo album is better than anything they've done.

I'm starting a search for new good music, haven't bought any in a while. After hearing Paul Stanley's Live to Win on that South Park episode, I have to have that. And maybe the new Meatloaf cd. My tastes are simple. I buy what I like

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby shakermakerman on Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:43 pm

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2006140003-2006 540597,00.html

now this is oasis all over..
shakermakerman
MONKEY BUTLER

Re: Oasis

Postby tapehead on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:59 am

Dig Out Your Soul, released October 6-7th - first single is 'The Shock of Lightning', which you can hear a bit of at the end of this.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Return to Music