Random Music

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Re: Random Music

Postby Fievel on Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:37 pm

Free Phish

In celebration of Phish's first shows in over four years, we're thrilled to be able to offer fans free, high-quality downloads of the band's sold-out March 6th, 7th and 8th concerts at Hampton Coliseum in Hampton, Virginia at LivePhish.com.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:06 pm

Can't make it to SXSW but still want to hear all the music? How about 6GB of Free, DRM-Free Music from SXSW?
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re:

Postby Ribbons on Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:16 pm

TonyWilson, on November 26, 2006, wrote:Anyone heard of The Chalets?

Why, yes, yes I have! Why do you ask?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Re:

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Ribbons wrote:
TonyWilson, on November 26, 2006, wrote:Anyone heard of The Chalets?

Why, yes, yes I have! Why do you ask?

They're pretty damn great aren't they??
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Ribbons on Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:31 am

I've actually only heard a few of their songs ("Sexy Mistake," "Love Punch," "No Style"), so I'm not an expert on them or nothing, but I do like them all. I was just (belatedly) psyched to read your post because I don't think I've ever met someone else who's heard of them.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:55 pm

Ribs if you like all those songs I say it's well worth getting the album Check In. M Ex loves them and I tend not to listen to them much anymore but they are definitely cool.

Can anyone tell me who the heck this is ? Because it's awesome.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby Seppuku on Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:11 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Can anyone tell me who the heck this is ? Because it's awesome.

Just another in a long line of awesome resurrections by the Finders Keepers label. It seems like their modus operandi is to just let the DJ Andy Votel reissue all the obscure, aging vinyls in his collection. Their reissues include Turkish acid-psych funk, Welsh wyrd folk and fucked up soundtracks to British '70s exploitation flicks and Danish vampire-menstrual movies. A sampler's wet dream, basically.

That album (LE MONDE FABULEUX DES YAMASUKI) is bizarrely brilliant though. It's basically a Serge Gainsbourg-alike French producer messing round with a bunch of Japanese kids...production-wise, that is, and creating something that shouldn't be that funky or cool, but is. Damn near all of Finders Keepers' releases have something to recommend them. My second favourite reissue of theirs would be the LP Serge's producer Jean-Claude Vannier cut based on Serge's idea of a kid venturing into a valley of the flies to kill the fly king: L'Enfant Assassin Des Mouches. Check out one of the songs here (though it's really one of those 'you have to listen to the album all at once' deals).
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:19 pm

I bow down to that whole post, Sepp. Eeeeexcellent.
TonyWilson

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:51 am

Anyone heard of this or tried it? Teenager invents YouTube music player

A 15-year-old programming whiz from Iowa and his father have created the world's first YouTube music player, mining the site's extensive library of music videos free of charge.

David Nelson and his father, Mark, spent a year developing Muziic Player, a free downloadable player that allows users to organise, search, stream and create playlists from YouTube's catalogue of music clips. Since its worldwide launch last month, the player has been downloaded more than a million times, forcing them to add another server to handle the incoming requests for the player.

Muziic Player looks and works like iTunes, taking advantage of the content ID software built into YouTube to detect video submissions not supported by YouTube's contracts for removal. This also allows for compensation of artists and record labels that do hold contracts with YouTube. Unfortunately for UK users, YouTube's withdrawal of music videos from the UK site after a failure to reach a new licensing agreement with the Performing Right Society also applies to the Muziic Player, meaning users from the UK may be unable to view certain content with the player.

Sounds quite useful, and we quite often end up prowling you tube for tunes on an evening when having a little drinky. Just wondered if anyone else had heard of, or tried it.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:01 pm

Didn't know where else to post this. I know that anyone that know/likes/appreciates rock music knows Deep Purple and this song, but I don't think I've ever seen it this EPIC. Awesome performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iKq_0CVnKw&feature=related
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:00 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby clodhopper on Thu May 07, 2009 3:27 pm

Penguin Cafe Orchestra - (really funky weird stuff.) Just heard of them.
clodhopper
GLIB

Postby Hermanator X on Mon May 11, 2009 12:44 pm

Pre release streaming listening for Jarvis Cockers new solo effort Further Complications : Link

Having a listen a the moment, and about 4 tracks in. Definately gonna be a purchase, really loving it so far.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:30 pm

So I have a shameful, Ramones shaped hole in my music collection, what album should I start with? Any that I should avoid?
TonyWilson

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:29 am

Start with the first three and/or Mania.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:38 am

TonyWilson wrote:So I have a shameful, Ramones shaped hole in my music collection, what album should I start with? Any that I should avoid?

I like their simplicity and dead-pan humour, and probably my favorite track is 'I wanna be sedated' from 'Road to Ruin', but that's far from their best album. Probably start with their self titled debut, if only for 'Blitzkreig bop', 'Beat on the Brat' and 'Now I wanna Sniff some glue'. If you're not a punk rock purist, then maybe try the Phil Spector Produced 'End of the Century' - it has Spector's dense 'wall of sound' production and brings out the pop elements of their sound, plus it has 'Rock'n'Roll Radio' and 'Chinese Rock'. Then again, maybe 'Rocket to Russia' would be better, with the likes of 'Tina is a Punk Rocker' and 'We're a happy Family' (and their cover of 'Needles and Pins' on the 2000 re-release).

... Tyrone is probably right; The best compilation/overview of their music that I've heard is 'Ramones Mania', which, come to think of it is where I started.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Seppuku on Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:09 pm

Actually, I'd say the best overview is probably "It's Alive," their live album. Most live albums end up with extended versions of the artists' songs; this one packs 28 of the Ramones' best blitzkriegs onto one disc, with only one of them lasting longer than 2 and half minutes. I'm not sure, but I think Joey Ramone might have broken the world record for longest time spent without breathing.

Other than that, I think Road to Ruin might be my favourite Ramones LP. That won't sit well with the diehards, but when you consider that they were named after a Paul McCartney alias, their fourth and fifth more tune-oriented affairs might actually be just as true to the Ramone ethos as their debut. That being said, the songs weren't really that great on Let it Ramone- I mean End of a Century, whereas Road to Ruin has a clutch of the best tracks they ever wrote: She's the One, Questioningly, I Just Want to Have Something to Do, It's a Long Way Back, I Wanna be Sedated, Don't Come Close, Needles & Pins. Shit, if they'd been born 30 years earlier, lived in Detroit and were black, they'd have pipped Smokey Robinson & The Miracles and The Temptations as Motown's best hitmakers.

EDIT: Incidentally, I'm not sure you should be taking any advice from someone who thinks the song's called:
tapehead wrote:Tina is a Punk Rocker

:twisted:
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby tapehead on Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:44 am

You're right, it's Sheena, oopsies. Thanks, you've reminded me of something rather important.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:56 am

The Shirehorses pop combo (Two piss taking DJs) released a fun ramones homage a few years back. It was a double bill of:

Sheena Easton, Punk Rocker/Hey ho, Wheres Joe? (Joes f***ed off)

Note to self: Dig out the shirehorses albums for a chuckle.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:13 am

Awesome guys, thanks very much. I got the eponymous debut, Road to Ruin and Rocket to Russia - they're all pretty fantastic so far.
TonyWilson

Postby DennisMM on Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:21 pm

Sky Saxon of the Seeds died Thursday, and no one noticed. So I'm mentioning it in multiple threads.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Hermanator X on Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:16 pm

Blurs headline slot from the Glastonbury festival is playing on BBC 6 music at 21:00 uk time. Just under 3 hours from now.

Its supposed to be a corker, so tune in and enjoy.

Just click on the listen live icon here.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:19 pm

i confess, i really like the Lady GaGa cd.....

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:30 am

As well you should.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:19 am

I might as well come out and say this. It's been sitting inside me forever, like a turd I just can't squeeze out. I'm tired of living a lie.

I hate Lady Gaga.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:39 am

Wolfpack wrote:I might as well come out and say this. It's been sitting inside me forever, like a turd I just can't squeeze out. I'm tired of living a lie.

I hate Lady Gaga.

:lol:

You don't know how warming that is to hear. She's a tramp.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Ribbons on Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:57 pm

I'm wasn't sure where to put this, but AICN is having a pretty badass contest right now, where the winner gets a boxset of remastered Beatles albums. Here's the link with all the pertinent info:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43110
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:43 pm

Ribbons wrote:I'm wasn't sure where to put this, but AICN is having a pretty badass contest right now, where the winner gets a boxset of remastered Beatles albums. Here's the link with all the pertinent info:

Does it include their 14th album from the parallel universe?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:55 am

Fried Gold wrote:
Ribbons wrote:I'm wasn't sure where to put this, but AICN is having a pretty badass contest right now, where the winner gets a boxset of remastered Beatles albums. Here's the link with all the pertinent info:

Even if it did have a plausible story I would still call bullshit on it, but if you're going to go through the trouble of telling the world you went to another universe and brought back a new Beatles album on cassette at least have the decency to put some fake tape hiss on the mp3s you post.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:03 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

Even if it did have a plausible story I would still call bullshit on it, but if you're going to go through the trouble of telling the world you went to another universe and brought back a new Beatles album on cassette at least have the decency to put some fake tape hiss on the mp3s you post.

I listened to "mr Jamborees beach ball", thinking it would be "the ringo one". It wasn't and it sounded like some really shit manchester baggy rock made by 13 yr olds.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:05 pm

Rage Against The Machine are currently at number 1 in the UK singles chart. It would be bizarre to have "Killing In The Name" as Christmas #1.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:00 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Rage Against The Machine are currently at number 1 in the UK singles chart. It would be bizarre to have "Killing In The Name" as Christmas #1.

Please.please.please.please.please.pleasaaaaaaaaaaaaaseeeee! *fingers crossed*

In fact, wasn't "Bring your Daughter to the Slaughter" Christmas number one in 1993? That would be almost as good again...
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:42 am

They were about 5k ahead yesterday. Play.com & amazon.co.uk list them in 1st place & the clean version in 3rd place. It'll be close.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Seppuku on Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:04 pm

Rage Against the Machine interview + performance that played this morning on BBC Radio 5 Live. Listen through to the end: the band go through the interview quite eloquently, and then they begin playing the clean version of Killing in the Name, before breaking out into the "Fuck You! I won't do what you tell me" bit right at the end, which eventually gets cut short by an announcer screaming, "Get rid of it! Get rid of it!" Pretty funny stuff.

I did my part and downloaded the track for 29p from Amazon, by the way. They're not my favouritest ever band, but I always thought they were pretty cool. And I really love the bass on that song!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:39 pm

Bah, they're both fucking Sony acts in the end. It's bread and circuses.
TonyWilson

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:51 pm

Seppuku wrote:Rage Against the Machine interview + performance that played this morning on BBC Radio 5 Live. Listen through to the end: the band go through the interview quite eloquently, and then they begin playing the clean version of Killing in the Name, before breaking out into the "Fuck You! I won't do what you tell me" bit right at the end, which eventually gets cut short by an announcer screaming, "Get rid of it! Get rid of it!" Pretty funny stuff.

I did my part and downloaded the track for 29p from Amazon, by the way. They're not my favouritest ever band, but I always thought they were pretty cool. And I really love the bass on that song!

This made me LOL, they should get rid of that radio host instead... she has a bright future as a phone sex operator ahead of her.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:05 pm

RATM were 70,000 ahead of X-Factor on Wednesday, before CD sales. I didn't that many CDs were sold anymore.

Seppuku wrote:Rage Against the Machine interview + performance that played this morning on BBC Radio 5 Live. Listen through to the end: the band go through the interview quite eloquently, and then they begin playing the clean version of Killing in the Name, before breaking out into the "Fuck You! I won't do what you tell me" bit right at the end, which eventually gets cut short by an announcer screaming, "Get rid of it! Get rid of it!" Pretty funny stuff.

It was rather good, especially on the show of professional curmudgeon Nicky Campbell. And them saying the proper lyrics kinda holds up the integrity of the song....sort of.

FYI, apparently Amazon's download sales don't yet contribute to the charts.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:02 am

Fried Gold wrote:

Not true!
Amazon wrote:We can confirm that sales of MP3s from Amazon.co.uk, including "The Climb" by Joe McElderry and "Killing in the Name" by Rage Against The Machine, count towards the Official UK Charts.

Rage just said that they're planning to do a free UK show if they make the top spot, by the way.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:12 pm

Seppuku wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

Not true!
Amazon wrote:We can confirm that sales of MP3s from Amazon.co.uk, including "The Climb" by Joe McElderry and "Killing in the Name" by Rage Against The Machine, count towards the Official UK Charts.

Okay, sweet.

Rage just said that they're planning to do a free UK show if they make the top spot, by the way.

...and tickets for everyone in the Facebook group?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Todd on Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:15 pm

i reject your reality and substitute my own
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby The Todd on Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:03 pm

i reject your reality and substitute my own
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Oh go on then, as they're donating the money to Shelter.

FUCKING RAGE BITCHES!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
TonyWilson

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:59 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:54 am

Pretty safe list for the most part.

I have all those albums. Vivian Girls for best ever though!?!?!?! I mean I like the album a bunch and all but seriously?

They picked a ton of good artists but sometimes I feel like they got wrong albums.

For example, Joanna Newsoms Ys is way better than her first one.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Seppuku on Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:54 am

I think we talked about that list in another thread. Personally, I think it's a great fucking list coming from Amazon.com, though I'd add a few of my own (mostly New Zealand indie bands, whom I'm kind of addicted to). One thing though that I think Ribbons pointed out, they have most of the right bands there but their choice of what were their best albums are is pretty random.

EDIT: I wrote that at the same time as Stereos, honest!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:56 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:01 am

I can't remember if I cried when I read about his widowed bride
But something touched me deep inside
The day the music died.

2/3/59
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:40 am

Still downloading myself, but I've heard good things about:

Wu-Tang Clan vs The Beatles: Enter The Magical Mystery Chambers mash-up album.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Seppuku on Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:20 am

Crazy beautiful cover art to Blondie's new album, Panic of Girls. Makes me wish CDs had never been invented so I could see that inflated to the size of a vinyl sleeve.

Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Wolfpack on Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:40 pm

Bret Micheals suffers brain injury

I guess every surgery has its risk. But whaddaya gonna do? Death from a hemorrhagic stroke or acute peritonitis?
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

PreviousNext

Return to Music