Page 3 of 9

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:46 pm
by Brocktune
and i thank YOU for the hookup!

i have a good friend who has a penchant for WWII history. he is going to die laughing when i give him this album for xmas this year!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:03 am
by Leckomaniac
http://yourscenesucks.com/

Wasn't sure where to post this. Its hilarious. Being a 20 year old living in the city of Chicago I can safely say that this site is 100% accurate.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:40 pm
by The Todd
Didn't know where to put this, but found this story on CNN.com.....

Courtney Love to sell Kurt Cobain's things

I think the most disturbing part of this story is CNN has a recent pic of Courtney Love and Frances Bean Cobain.....


HOLY FUCK!! I remember when she was born and Frances Bean grew up into a hottie!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:46 pm
by godzillasushi
I really wouldn't care if anyone sold his things for charity. But it sounds like she is keeping the money. Doesn't shock me but it is disgusting. I realize how much fun it must be to wear a dead man's pajamas but there is a line to cross when you're making money off the dead. I hate hearing stories like this because the only person Cobain gave everything to happened to be her. Her of all people. :roll:

It's a shame the band didn't end up with all of his belongings. They probably would have done something better with them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:17 pm
by Seppuku
Woah, Frances Bean looks like Charlotte Church's bosomier younger sister.

Shame about the mother though. And it might just be the angle of the pic and the fact that I haven't slept for a couple of days, coupled with the fact that I never could look at Courtney Love for too long without the ol' pyschosomatic cataracts coming back, BUT... is she wearing a wig?


S'far as the ethics and all of that's concerned, try as I might I can't really drum myself up into that much of a fervour. Putting out that PAAAAAAAIiiiIIIIIiiiNNNNN song (can't remember the title) was probably worse. Also she should probably have gone the "everytime I see his half-used packet of Rennies, I can't help thinking of him" route if she wanted more sympathy. Plus that whole charity comment was a little hard to buy; but fuck it, just as long as she doesn't sell off Kurdt's MOST precious possession, that is Francis Bean herself, then I'm not gonna go start singin' Self-Righteous Brothers tunes. Though, knowing Love, I wouldn't put it past her.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:21 pm
by Lord Voldemoo
The Todd wrote:Didn't know where to put this, but found this story on CNN.com.....

Courtney Love to sell Kurt Cobain's things

I think the most disturbing part of this story is CNN has a recent pic of Courtney Love and Frances Bean Cobain.....


HOLY FUCK!! I remember when she was born and Frances Bean grew up into a hottie!!!!!


Jailbait Five!!

She's 14. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:25 pm
by Seppuku
Lord Voldemoo wrote::shock:


I don't see why you're bringing out the shock emoticons, you come from Washington too, right?





:wink:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:32 pm
by Lord Voldemoo
Yup, that's how we roll... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:29 am
by doglips
What will these vacuous advertising execs come up with next? Shocking!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:22 am
by TonyWilson
I can finally FINALLY listen to Another Girl, Another Planet by The Only Ones, again. Fucking T-Mobile or Lynx or somesuch comapny had the most godawful cover of it on one of thier ads and it ruined the original because it was just so far away from the point of it.


Phew. It's a good day.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:35 pm
by Keepcoolbutcare
Image

old article from from Oliver Wang over at Soul Sides, who penned the intro to the re-releases...

[quote]I first heard Betty Davis when I found her album Nasty Gal. On it, she’s decked out in black fishnet stockings, her legs kicked out in an aggressive dare and within moments of listening to her, she owned me. Partly, it was her voice, swinging from a seductive lilt to a jagged dagger in the blink of a bar. It was also her music, this tidal force of funk, rock and blues that could spin you dizzy or drag you in deep. Mostly though, it was her attitude – as brash and proud as her Afro, lit by the spark of youth but powered by the proverbial fury of a woman scorned.

Betty Davis didn’t sing love songs, she sung anti-love songs, but even her whispered warnings about her cruelty and cattiness couldn’t stop you from falling for her. In the space of a song, Betty could make you crawl, make you sweat and before you knew it, she held the deed to your soul.

Most of what I initially found about Betty was just mere footnote – she was known more by her married surname than as an artist in her own right. Born Betty Mabry, she’s the Mademoiselle Mabry that Miles Davis composed about and her face adorns Miles’ Filles De Kiliminjaro album. The two, separated in age by 25 years, were only married for a year but in that time, she’s credited with introducing Miles to Jimi Hendrix, who was Betty’s friend and rumored lover.

Considering Miles’ famed fusions between rock and jazz, one has to think of Betty as the bewitching inspiration behind his Bitches Brew but more than just a former First Lady of Jazz, she was also a Queen Mother of funk. Betty Davis was the missing link between Marva Whitney and Parlet, Nina Simone and the Brides of Funkenstein, not to mention the inspiration behind more recent funk fatales like Macy Gray and Kelis. However, unlike female mouthpieces for male producers and songwriters like James Brown and George Clinton, Betty wrote and arranged every song on all three of her albums and produced two herself. As she says on the title of her second album, They Say I’m Different.

Miles once said of his ex-wife that with more support and better luck, she could have been as big as Madonna and in retrospect, she had all the markings to be a huge star. Her photogenic image and flamboyant personality preceded Diana Ross’ disco diva conversion while predicting Tina Turner’s 1980s comeback. But far more than a pretty face and big hair, I was drawn to Betty for her striking songwriting, musical breadth and most of all, her blend of sass and seduction. I long adored the sentimental soul stylings of Aretha Franklin and Etta James but where they emoted, Betty inflicted. In her, I hear the wrenching misery of the gut bucket blues but Betty pours it out through funk’s cathartic energy. She tackles love and lust by shaking out frustrations and fantasies in a tremble of slapping bass lines, serrated guitar riffs, jabbing drum breaks and her own scratchy voice.

Her song titles alone - “If I’m In Luck I Might Get Picked Upâ€

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:12 pm
by Cpt Kirks 2pay
Played some of the Talking Heads album samples on Itenes yesterday. Might get the Best Of album though I think this is copping out for me, rather than get a few of their actual ones.

What say you?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:16 pm
by Keepcoolbutcare
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Played some of the Talking Heads album samples on Itenes yesterday. Might get the Best Of album though I think this is copping out for me, rather than get a few of their actual ones.


the SAND IN THE VASELINE 2 disc comp is a good place to start, as it kinda allows you to figure out which era of the band you prefer.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:17 pm
by St. Alphonzo
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Played some of the Talking Heads album samples on Itenes yesterday. Might get the Best Of album though I think this is copping out for me, rather than get a few of their actual ones.

What say you?


The "Sand In The Vaseline" compelation is a great representation of what made them so great. Can't go wrong there.

"More Songs About Buildings and Food" is a damn good stand-alone album though...

EDIT: KCBC is too fast a typist for me! :)

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:21 pm
by Cpt Kirks 2pay
Hmmmmmm......

Strokes beardless chin....

I might try both guys!!!! Thanks a lot.

I'm kind of a Wild Wild Life kinda guy the most I think so far, but sheeyeet, if I can get them both cheap, I'll do it!

EDIT. KCBC mentions Sly and the family Stone too!! Gonna hit some samples on them too!! They rocked at Woodstock, YO!!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:32 pm
by Keepcoolbutcare
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:EDIT. KCBC mentions Sly and the family Stone too!! Gonna hit some samples on them too!! They rocked at Woodstock, YO!!


no single comp, no best of does them justice, 'cept COLLECTION, which by the sounds of it is a collection of their albums.

you'll know a lot of the tunes already, just from commercialization/soundtracks alone, but it's the tracks that weren't popular, the B sides and whatnot, that are truly standout.

in the history of Funk, there's JB, there's Sly, and there's everyone else.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:37 pm
by St. Alphonzo
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:EDIT. KCBC mentions Sly and the family Stone too!! Gonna hit some samples on them too!! They rocked at Woodstock, YO!!


no single comp, no best of does them justice, 'cept COLLECTION, which by the sounds of it is a collection of their albums.

you'll know a lot of the tunes already, just from commercialization/soundtracks alone, but it's the tracks that weren't popular, the B sides and whatnot, that are truly standout.

in the history of Funk, there's JB, there's Sly, and there's everyone else.


Sly is trying... TRYING REAL HARD... to make a comeback. He just can't seem to kick.
Goddamn I'd love to see the Family reunite. Sly is the man, but he ain't the funkmaster without Larry Graham's bass.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:55 pm
by Cpt Kirks 2pay
I'll have fun with these albums. Gonna go and do some samples now. Can't believe they're trying to make a comeback. How old must they be now!?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:58 pm
by Cpt Kirks 2pay
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Right at the top of the Itunes Store - there's picture link to SUSAN CAGLE - DEAR OPRAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must.....!!!! resist.......!!! urge........!!!!! to click it!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:49 pm
by St. Alphonzo
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:I'll have fun with these albums. Gonna go and do some samples now. Can't believe they're trying to make a comeback. How old must they be now!?


You've gotta keep in mind, Sly spent a good number of years behind bars on Cocaine charges... and several years before that alienating everyone around him. A career cut way short.

I'm guessing Sly's probably pushing 60 now...

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:18 am
by tapehead
What would you say if I'd heard Smashing Pumpkins, Tarantula - yeah, I'd be a complete gentleman if I'd done that, and been transported back in time to 1993 for three minutes and forty-nine seconds, wouldn't I?

Good thing I haven't then.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:22 am
by doglips
I thought it was pretty good. Corgan wrote some of my all time favourite songs back then, no reason he can't do it again - we can but hope, nothing gentlemanly about that.

Link if anyone wants to check it out......

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:58 am
by tapehead
Yeah - while I'll happily admit my favourite SP is from Gish and tracks like Drown, and I don't own anything after Siamese Dreams (from then on, diminishing returns), it's a fun trip. Nineties revivalism has well and truly arrived.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:11 am
by doglips
tapehead wrote:Nineties revivalism has well and truly arrived.


Yeah, The Twang do suck, don't they.....

Anyway, I bought The Cold War Kids LP yesterday, which is very disappointing, I'm going to take it back and get the new Dinosaur Jr instead - which is apparently pretty good.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:20 am
by ThisIsTheGirl
I got a record off eBay that I've been searching for for about 10 years - it's Blowfly's Xmas party on one side and Blowfly's New Year's party on the other.

I mainly bought it for Blowfly's New Year party which, if played just after midnight on New Year's Day, has been known to reduce a dancefloor to utter mayhem. It has one of the sickest basslines of all time. Last time I saw it on eBay, it was going for £50, but I got it this time for a tenner.




If you're not familiar, this is Blowfly:

Image


The man is a genius.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:27 am
by doglips
I sense a new Brocktune AV in the making there.

OK, I'm downloading New Year Party as we speak. I-Tunes lists it as comedy, I'm assuming that's wrong.

EDIT, That's a dirty tune in so many ways.

The Himalayans - She Likes the Weather

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:17 pm
by Maui
I got this CD a few weeks ago. Pre Counting Crows stuff.

"The Himalayans were a Bay Area-based band featuring the vocals and lyrics of a pre-Counting Crows era Adam Duritz set to the energetic music of Dave Janusko (guitar and bass), Dan Jewett (lead guitar), Marty Jones (bass) and Chris Roldan (drums). This compact disc features 17 gems composed by the band, three of them produced by Crows guitarist David Bryson, including the Himalayans emotional masterpiece, Round Here.â€

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:20 pm
by Zarles
Leckomaniac wrote:http://yourscenesucks.com/

Wasn't sure where to post this. Its hilarious. Being a 20 year old living in the city of Chicago I can safely say that this site is 100% accurate.


HOLY SHIT, that site makes me cry while I do the laugh. Hilarious. Ever posted over at the AV Club? Those kinds of people are there in spades.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:58 am
by TonyWilson
To anyone who knows:-

Is a complete discography of The Minutemen and a Mike Watt solo album a good purchase for 49 quid?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:05 pm
by Seppuku
TonyWilson wrote:To anyone who knows:-

Is a complete discography of The Minutemen and a Mike Watt solo album a good purchase for 49 quid?


So that's something like seven LPs, four of which are bonafide classics, and one of which is one of the best albums of the '80s (Double Nickels on the Dime)... I'd buy that for 97.2749 dollars...

Well, I don't know if you're buying them on Vinyl or on CD. There's a possibility you could get a cheaper price if you bought them all individually, but then again maybe you think the extra few quid for the whole shebang (you won't save more than a tenner) is worth skipping the hassle of scouting them down one at a time.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:11 pm
by wonkabar
This is a really cool little band I saw in LA awhile back,

check 'em out! http://www.myspace.com/lotsofloveband

The lead-singer, she was such a sweetie-pie

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:27 pm
by Brocktune
what club, pray tell?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:39 pm
by wonkabar
Actually, it was at a movie-premiere....kind of

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:44 pm
by Cpt Kirks 2pay
I'm sure Vanessa Carlton's alwight an' all, considering she's some kind of teeny bopper singeress - but I did prefer it when I pictured her as some Hilary Duff-alike before I actually Googled a picture of her for real.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:53 am
by Nachokoolaid
I didn;t know where else to put this. I'm a big Metallica fan, so this kind of homage stuff really gives me a kick.

I didn't know cellos could do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK78dRDyKtc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:33 pm
by DennisMM
Probably only the old guys will appreciate this, but Crowded House is back. Please, please, please, let Neil Finn play it straight and honestly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:01 pm
by TonyWilson
So this is going to be number one in the charts this week.
And apparently this meant to be a good thing??? A return to great pop like Siobahn Donaghy and that Song4Mutya track. But really, have a good listen, it's a boring as shit vocal and a really really average electro/dance tune, something Cassius would piss out as a side side side project.
I wouldn't be bothered but it's the usual champions of good music who are fawning over this.

Oh dear.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:25 pm
by DennisMM
I don't like that sort of thing in the first place. Even allowing for my prejudices, I was disappointed. This is not even puffy awfulness, it's almost nonexistent. The music is dull droning and Robyn has no voice at all. Her lack of pipes isn't helped by a dry, dry delivery.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:06 pm
by Hermanator X
http://bassilisk.com/music/

Daft punk at Coachella 06 live mp3. Tis wunderbar!!
And a whole lot of other stuff.

For the record, I seen sly stone in Montreux Jazz Fest, and it sucked HARD. Woeful, the guy really is too old. Staggered on stage for about 3 songs, and just played with his Vocoder, singing thank you for letting me be myself whichever song the terrified band were trying to play.
But the beasties instrumental gala rocked. Egg Raid on Mojo live. I almost wept.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:08 pm
by St. Alphonzo
Hermanator X wrote:http://bassilisk.com/music/

Daft punk at Coachella 06 live mp3. Tis wunderbar!!
And a whole lot of other stuff.

For the record, I seen sly stone in Montreux Jazz Fest, and it sucked HARD. Woeful, the guy really is too old. Staggered on stage for about 3 songs, and just played with his Vocoder, singing thank you for letting me be myself whichever song the terrified band were trying to play.
But the beasties instrumental gala rocked. Egg Raid on Mojo live. I almost wept.


Sad to hear that... So was it just age, or did it look as though Mr Stone had fallen off the wagon again?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:12 pm
by Hermanator X
Just old age I reckon. Kind of vacant what the hell am I doing here look on his face. the band didnt come on until 1.30 in the morning (were due on at 23.30) The band tried, and done most of the stuff without him, and they were so so, but overall it was a washout of a gig. The sideways terrified glances of the band wondering what was going on was good fun tho.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:19 pm
by Fievel
Hermanator X wrote:Just old age I reckon. Kind of vacant what the hell am I doing here look on his face. the band didnt come on until 1.30 in the morning (were due on at 23.30) The band tried, and done most of the stuff without him, and they were so so, but overall it was a washout of a gig. The sideways terrified glances of the band wondering what was going on was good fun tho.


Very sad indeed. Sly & The Family Stone has some seriously great stuff in their catalogue. It's a shame that the man is such a wreck.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:00 pm
by St. Alphonzo
Art Brut & The Hold Steady tour together

It's very simple: Hold Steady & Art Brut come to the Crystal Ballroom... Phonzie goes to the Crystal Ballroom... a few hours later, Phonzie's head explodes in a paroxysm of rock and roll pleasure.

It's just too bad I know no one in this damn town that wouldn't yawn at the thought of this double-bill. No matter. I will be there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:27 am
by St. Alphonzo
I knew it was coming... I just didn't know the caliber of bands that were playing! Check out the lineup for Music Fest Northwest (MFNW) in Portland from September 6-9. $40 gets you a wristband that allows you into any venue in the city... featuring:

Aesop Rock
Bobby Bare Jr.
Brian Jonestown Massacre
Cat Power
Clipse
Dakota Slim
Damien Jurado
Dan Deacon
Deerhunter
Floater
Ghostface Killah
Girl Talk
Grizzly Bear
Helio Sequence
Holy Fuck (Don't know who they are, but gotta love the name!)
Jackie-O Motherfucker (ditto)
Jason Lytle of Grandaddy
Jonathan Rice
Lifesavas
Lifetime
Okkervil River
Patterson Hood of The Drive By Truckers
Rilo Kiley
Roky Erickson
Sandpeople
Saturna
Spoon
Starfucker
The Fucking Champs
The Goddamn Gentlemen
The Minus 5
The Sun The Sea
The Thermals
Viva Voce
We're From Japan!
Wolf Parade
Plus about 40 more bands.

Ah, to be young again and able to stay awake three days straight. The argument: "But honey, The Fucking Champs are playing tonight!" just doesn't cut it anymore. :wink:

Random Music

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:58 am
by bastard_robo
St. Alphonzo wrote:I knew it was coming... I just didn't know the caliber of bands that were playing! Check out the lineup for Music Fest Northwest (MFNW) in Portland from September 6-9. $40 gets you a wristband that allows you into any venue in the city... featuring:

Aesop Rock
Bobby Bare Jr.
Brian Jonestown Massacre
Cat Power
Clipse
Dakota Slim
Damien Jurado
Dan Deacon
Deerhunter
Floater
Ghostface Killah
Girl Talk
Grizzly Bear
Helio Sequence
Holy Fuck (Don't know who they are, but gotta love the name!)
Jackie-O Motherfucker (ditto)
Jason Lytle of Grandaddy
Jonathan Rice
Lifesavas
Lifetime
Okkervil River
Patterson Hood of The Drive By Truckers
Rilo Kiley
Roky Erickson
Sandpeople
Saturna
Spoon
Starfucker
The Fucking Champs
The Goddamn Gentlemen
The Minus 5
The Sun The Sea
The Thermals
Viva Voce
We're From Japan!
Wolf Parade
Plus about 40 more bands.

Ah, to be young again and able to stay awake three days straight. The argument: "But honey, The Fucking Champs are playing tonight!" just doesn't cut it anymore. :wink:


Sounds lame!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:15 am
by St. Alphonzo
Please tell me there was a winky-face that wasn't added to that.

Re: Random Music

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:36 am
by PF Moon Deux
Jackie-O Motherfucker


A great, great band, BUT really hard to sum up/draw parallels; Free-Jazz-Psych-Folk-Space-Rock-Drone???

MySpazz

Re: Random Music

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:37 am
by stereosforgeeks
PF Moon Deux wrote:
Jackie-O Motherfucker


A great, great band, BUT really hard to sum up/draw parallels; Free-Jazz-Psych-Folk-Space-Rock-Drone???

MySpazz


Absolutely agreed. Love them, but have never had the chance to see them live.

Random Music

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:30 am
by bastard_robo
I just like to go on record that I hate Kanye West's new song...


Rip off Daft Punk.. that bastard

Re: Random Music

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:40 am
by Ribbons
bastard_robo wrote:I just like to go on record that I hate Kanye West's new song...


Rip off Daft Punk.. that bastard


But his video is an homage to Akira... surely that has to count for something!