Random Music

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby doglips on Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:32 pm

WOW! - now that's a fucking line up. Something for everyone there.

On behalf of the U.K., I'd like to apologise in advance for The Kaiser Chiefs. LOL.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby sleepflower on Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:21 pm

Fantastic lineup. Some acts a lot higher up than I expected however. Had no idea decemberists were so big. Great to see some good british acts a reasonable way up the list too.
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:30 pm

I'd like to apologise in advance for Mika.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:50 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:WOW! - now that's a fucking line up. Something for everyone there.

On behalf of the U.K., I'd like to apologise in advance for The Kaiser Chiefs. LOL.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck, I wanna go...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:58 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:On behalf of the U.K., I'd like to apologise in advance for The Kaiser Chiefs. LOL.

Fried Gold wrote:I'd like to apologise in advance for Mika.

I'd like to apologize, for all ya'll who don't know where Coachella takes place, for the heat...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:47 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote:On behalf of the U.K., I'd like to apologise in advance for The Kaiser Chiefs. LOL.

I'd like to apologize, for all ya'll who don't know where Coachella takes place, for the heat...

I assume that the heat is inescapable desert heat?

Ribbons wrote:Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck, I wanna go...

I'll see you there Ribbons!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:02 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

The word "California" is on there somewhere. So I assume it is being held in Greenland.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:53 am

thedoglippedone wrote:

Are you going? That'd be pretty cool.

btw - your av is cool. What the hell is it?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:55 am

Fried Gold wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:I'd like to apologize, for all ya'll who don't know where Coachella takes place, for the heat...

The word "California" is on there somewhere. So I assume it is being held in Greenland.

Greenland is green, and Iceland is Ice. No wait...

Damn you global warming...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Brocktune on Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:23 pm

firstly, can i just say that i am in shock that Manu Chao is getting second fucking billing on day three. i had no idea he was that popular. why do i have a feeling that Zach from Rage had something to do with that? kind of like Tool not playing Ozzfest with out the Melvins on board as well. hmmm....

secondly, let me say that there still arent enough bands that i would be interested in seeing to warrant going all 3 days. however, i am seriously, seriously contemplating going on day 2 exclusively for Cornelius! i mean, his new record isnt even out over here, and as far as US tour plans go, the only thing that i have heard is a rumor that it will happen in august.

i dont know if i can wait that long.
i also dont know if i can handle cornelius being in cali, and me NOT being there to see them. i gotta start saving.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby athenabodicea on Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:58 pm

I miss Flumm..

:(

Great thread...
that is all
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:23 pm

Still on the lookout for some decent acoustic artists people. I did some samples of what you guys gave me before, but I can't find anything much that I like really. Still trying to get some stuff along the lines of Bright Eyes, Elliot Smith, Blood On The Tracks, Sheesh! Simon and Garfunkel even!

Anyone got a list of names?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fawst on Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:31 pm

minstrel wrote:Fuck Mellencamp. That song makes me puke. And it makes me want to piss on the USA and all those Chevy trucks, and that's the opposite effect Chevy intended.

I also want to puke every time I see the commercial that shows a Boy Scout image and it has "This is our motto" superimposed on the screen. Sorry to any Boy Scouts out there, but that is one corrupt and hypocritical organization. Our motto? No, YOUR'S maybe.

FUCK, IT'S STUCK IN MY HEAD NOW!!!!!

Thank god the Pats lost, I don't have to bother watching any more football this year and getting hit with that 23092352359 times in one commercial block.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:55 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Still on the lookout for some decent acoustic artists people. I did some samples of what you guys gave me before, but I can't find anything much that I like really. Still trying to get some stuff along the lines of Bright Eyes, Elliot Smith, Blood On The Tracks, Sheesh! Simon and Garfunkel even!

Kirks - PM me with acoustic artists you like and I can give you a list of songs to check out, can't guarantee you'll like them but I'll try to hook you up.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby doglips on Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:32 pm

Ribbons wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote:

Are you going? That'd be pretty cool.

btw - your av is cool. What the hell is it?

Man, I would love to go. No way I can afford time or money to go this year.

My AV is from issue 6 of DEMO by Brian Wood and Becky Cloonan.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:39 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Still on the lookout for some decent acoustic artists people. I did some samples of what you guys gave me before, but I can't find anything much that I like really. Still trying to get some stuff along the lines of Bright Eyes, Elliot Smith, Blood On The Tracks, Sheesh! Simon and Garfunkel even!

Kirks - PM me with acoustic artists you like and I can give you a list of songs to check out, can't guarantee you'll like them but I'll try to hook you up.

Cheers dude! Only it's the lack of knowledge of any decent acoustic artists that is my problem. That's what I'm trying to find a list of. Again, I'm looking for albums that are simple, just mainly the guitar playing, laid back easy going tracks similar to the artists listed above. My favourite kinda tracks are those say, from Blood on the Tracks. I guess I'm looking for something along these lines, or the less produced stuff of Bright Eyes. Nothing too heavy or loud. Whatever decent artists do albums like this, is pretty much what I'm looking for.

If you've got anything like this, I'd be grateful.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby tangerine on Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:03 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Ribbons wrote:

Cheers dude! Only it's the lack of knowledge of any decent acoustic artists that is my problem. That's what I'm trying to find a list of. Again, I'm looking for albums that are simple, just mainly the guitar playing, laid back easy going tracks similar to the artists listed above. My favourite kinda tracks are those say, from Blood on the Tracks. I guess I'm looking for something along these lines, or the less produced stuff of Bright Eyes. Nothing too heavy or loud. Whatever decent artists do albums like this, is pretty much what I'm looking for.

If you've got anything like this, I'd be grateful.

I've got pretty much everything Bright Eyes have ever recorded, early stuff, random EPs and shit. I'd be more than happy to hand some over to you. Also, Ryan Adams, ever listened to him? Very laidback mellow-dude-with-guitar kind of stuff. And of course Nick Drake!
tangerine
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:06 pm

tangerine wrote:I've got pretty much everything Bright Eyes have ever recorded, early stuff, random EPs and shit. I'd be more than happy to hand some over to you. Also, Ryan Adams, ever listened to him? Very laidback mellow-dude-with-guitar kind of stuff. And of course Nick Drake!

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about Nick Drake. He can be pretty mellow and evocative as long as you don't hit the depressing stuff like "Parasite."
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tangerine on Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:08 pm

My favourite Nick Drake all time is Place to Be, from Pink Moon. Mmmm listening to it now. Wonderful stuff.
tangerine
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:11 pm

Haven't heard that one, but my fave is "Northern Sky."
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:11 pm

You should try my friend Joseph Aquilina, Tanj. Nick D is one of his inspirations, he even featured on a docu on him in 1999.

www.myspace.com/aquilinamusic
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:15 pm

Kirk, Check out'Carousel Waltz' by The Robot At Me.

Here's the opening track.
Last edited by doglips on Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:17 pm

Rereading the thread then Joe should check Aquilina too. He's playing in central London soon.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tangerine on Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:18 pm

@AH: I had a quick listen, will have a look into it later, thanks :)

@doglips: loving the new av!
tangerine
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:33 pm

tangerine wrote:I've got pretty much everything Bright Eyes have ever recorded, early stuff, random EPs and shit. I'd be more than happy to hand some over to you. Also, Ryan Adams, ever listened to him? Very laidback mellow-dude-with-guitar kind of stuff. And of course Nick Drake!

Thanks. I'll take you up on that offer. Thank you. I have Ryan Adams, Heartbreaker and Love is Smell, plus Bright Eyes, I'm Wide Awake It's Mori. But anything else would be great. And of course Nick Drake!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby tangerine on Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:34 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

Thanks. I'll take you up on that offer. Thank you. I have Ryan Adams, Heartbreaker and Love is Smell, plus Bright Eyes, I'm Wide Awake It's Mori. But anything else would be great. And of course Nick Drake!

I'll put together a little mp3 compilation for you. No time tonight, but I'll get it ready for sunday if you remind me.
tangerine
AIRWOLF

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:35 pm

You might like Jeffrey Lewis, Kirk
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:35 pm

tangerine wrote:I'll put together a little mp3 compilation for you.

Mix CDs = teh roxxorz
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:36 pm

tangerine wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

I'll put together a little mp3 compilation for you. No time tonight, but I'll get it ready for sunday if you remind me.

Thank you.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:37 pm

TonyWilson wrote:You might like Jeffrey Lewis, Kirk

Thank you.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:38 pm

Atchoo!

God wrote:Bless you.

Thank you.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:39 pm

Ellen Page wrote:You were great last night.

Thank you.
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby tangerine on Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:41 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

Thank you.

WHAT??! What have you and Ellen been up to without me??!!!1!!11!!
tangerine
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:48 pm

tangerine wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

Thank you.

WHAT??! What have you and Ellen been up to without me??!!!1!!11!!

Thank you.

Ellen Page wrote:Not you.

:(h.

Tangerine wrote:I DIDN'T ASK!!! WHO TOOK THAT GAG OFF YOU!??!?!!?!?!?PUT IT BACK ON!!!!!!!!

There's a website called 'Fetish By Anna'. That ain't you is it? I'm serious, google it if you don't believe me. I'll PM you a link if you want.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby tangerine on Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:51 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Tangerine wrote:I DIDN'T ASK!!! WHO TOOK THAT GAG OFF YOU!??!?!!?!?!?PUT IT BACK ON!!!!!!!!

Oh dear.... now I need some alone time...

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:There's a website called 'Fetish By Anna'. That ain't you is it? I'm serious, google it if you don't believe me.

Hah! I wish!! No sorry to disappoint you, I keep all my fetishism in teh zone.
tangerine
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:11 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

Cali's a big state.

The mid to Northern parts are indeed a "greenland"...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:19 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Still on the lookout for some decent acoustic artists people. I did some samples of what you guys gave me before, but I can't find anything much that I like really. Still trying to get some stuff along the lines of Bright Eyes...

c/o of Stereogum, by way of SoundMojo...

Bright Eyes, Tourist Trap

Kirk, split this thread and start a "i like whiny, boring acoustic shite" or something, would ya?
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:21 pm

OK, I'll do it straight away. Heh, gotta get back into music someway somehow eh? Can't bob my head at Ipod parties listening to Saving Private Ryan all my life can I? Thanks for these recommendations anyway!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Brocktune on Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:06 pm

i love my boss (moxy fruvous fans, need not respond). i really do. he is a great guy, who really knows his stuff. but his taste in music absolutely fucking SUCKS!!!!!! when i work with him, i back off of the record selection. i know i listen to a lot of new, or weird, or unheard of shit. he cant handle listening to any of it for longer than an hour or two before he is asking to change the music back to his selections. his selections, which are always billboard's top 100 songs of the year. we have 1970 - 1990 stored on the pc. he calls it comfort music. i call it unmitigated agony. this is all shit that i was forced to listen to for years and years on "adult contemporary radio" which is the longest euphemism for BULLSHIT that i have ever heard in my life. adult contemporary = death. this is the garbage that i heard to and from school and every afternoon every fucking day for my entire academic career. music that is so annoyingly, atrociously terrible, that i couldnt get far enough away from it. now, here i stand having to endure what IMO is tantamonunt to torture. in the last two hours, my ears have been poisoned with the most deplorable dreck imaginible. New Kids on the Block, Madonna, Bobby Brown, Tone Loc, Milli Vanilli, Rick Astley, Bette Middler. it is the worst shit ever, and i am going to fucking kill somebody. i know, with the following statement, i am probably alienating and/or offending several people here, but how the fuck can you stand to listen to such garbage? i would rather listen to nails on a chalkboard. it is my sincere and firm belief that every song on billboard's top 100 of any given year should be rounded up and destroyed. why is it that the worst shit is always the most successful? AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! and i cant fucking stand another second. i cant fucking WAIT until he leaves, and i can put on some real music. something with overdriven amps, krazy keyboards, and a seriously annoying vocalist. real fucking music, goddamnit. NO, ANNIE, I AM NOT OK. sorry to bitch, but every time i hear the opening chords to "whats goin on" (worst song evar)by 4 non blondes (worst band evar) i feel like killing somebody, anybody, myself included. i swear, god must have given us billboard and the fucking grammys, so we would have something to show us how bad music can really be, and why we need to go out of our way to find shit that is actually worth listening to. seriously, how people can go through their lives, listening to this crap, and thinking it's good music is fucking beyond me. i mean, anita baker is ok, but Martika?!?! come on.

does this make me sound like a smug, elitist Struggling Background Artist? :twisted:
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:34 pm

but how do you really feel, brock?
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:53 pm

Avoiding pop music and ads I can understand was a refreshing part of my relocation. :D
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Seppuku on Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:51 am

I feel you Brock. There's a rota of about 5 albums they've got playing at work, and they play them non-stop, constantly, always: Morcheeba, Jurrassic 5 - Quality Control, the Arctic Monkeys and Ben Harper.

Now J-5 and that album might just be my choice for a "What would you play non-stop thread?", but then again that's just a thread...when you ACTUALLY do it you don't realise the damage it can cause to your fave bands, not to mention your cerebral cortex. I'm afraid if I ever hear the words "let's take it back to the concrete streets" again, I might just have to kick in the stereo system.

And that's not getting into my present hate for Morcheeba, Ben Harper and the Arctic Monkeys.

The thing is they won't let me play what I choose, because they say it'll probably "alienate customers", when in reality what it really does is give them a break from having their brains bludgeoned-in by banal blandness. Hell, the one time I did get to play what I wanted, I got into quite a few music conversations with customers. So it can't have been all that alienating.

Why do people like to play the same shit ad nauseum?
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby tapehead on Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:53 am

Be my Valentine mix from Blown Speakers - worth it for the Daft Punk vs Yeah Yeah Yeahs - World Maps Mash-up alone. Whether you hate St Valentine or not.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Brocktune on Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:24 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:The thing is they won't let me play what I choose, because they say it'll probably "alienate customers", when in reality what it really does is give them a break from having their brains bludgeoned-in by banal blandness. Hell, the one time I did get to play what I wanted, I got into quite a few music conversations with customers. So it can't have been all that alienating.

dude, TOTALLY!!!!!!!

i like to think that if any of my customers are even worth acknowledging that they exist, then they would be appreciative of the fact that they are not having the same garbage shoved down their throat, and are in fact experiencing something new and different.

the sad reality is that most of my customers dont even deserve to be alive.

i never fail to be shocked that instead of a "who is this?" or a "where are these guys from?", i usually get some sort of racist remark about whatever country or nationality they assume spawned the album i am listening to.
either that, or they bitch that "that's not music" and they get in their car, and crank up their fucking dire straits record.

i fuckin hate my customers.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:49 pm

Brocktune wrote:i like to think that if any of my customers are even worth acknowledging that they exist, then they would be appreciative of the fact that they are not having the same garbage shoved down their throat, and are in fact experiencing something new and different.

the sad reality is that most of my customers dont even deserve to be alive.

i never fail to be shocked that instead of a "who is this?" or a "where are these guys from?", i usually get some sort of racist remark about whatever country or nationality they assume spawned the album i am listening to.
either that, or they bitch that "that's not music" and they get in their car, and crank up their fucking dire straits record.

i fuckin hate my customers.

What's funny is when I've been forced to play...say, Now That's What I Call The 80's (featuring Bros, Whitney Houston and Phil Collins). A customer'll come into the shop, stop, and kinda look into an empty space thinking, "Hey I recognise this from somewhere... Ah ha! It's 'When Will I Be Famous' by Bros!". Then they'll come up to the counter where I'm busy mentally channeling Aleister Crowley & Rasputin's dead spirits- anything to distract my mind from the aural monstrosities pouring out of the speakers- and try and have a conversation about Bros with me.

Now if I weren't paid to humour these fuckwads, then I'd probably tell them to go snorkling in the Thames, but instead I have to nod along...pretend I'm Bros' biggest fan.

It's keeeeling my soul!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:19 pm

I had not heard about this until today. Pretty sad stuff.

Im a Boston fan myself. I doubt they will ever live on as one of the "great" bands from that era but still, its a bummer. His voice was fantastic and unique.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:38 pm

godzillasushi wrote:I had not heard about this until today. Pretty sad stuff.

Im a Boston fan myself. I doubt they will ever live on as one of the "great" bands from that era but still, its a bummer. His voice was fantastic and unique.

You know what, I had posted this without realizing there was already a thread. I just saw the other thread, 5 freaking days later. I am quite embarassed. Good thing no one said a damn word to me to let me swim in my own ignorance :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sorry... :roll:
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:02 pm

WHAT THE FUCK?!!!

So I ordered a copy of Children of Men from Amazon.com a couple of weeks ago, but instead I got THIS through my door: "Original Third Reich Nazi Recordings: Stormtrooper Marches".

What a way to fuck up, eh? This happened to me once before, again with Amazon, about six years ago. I think I ordered a CD by some Japanese punk band, and I got sent "The Best of Liberace" instead.

I know I probably won't be able to return it and get my money back now that I've just opened it, but the temptation to listen to this thing is too overwhelming. It's actually kind of alright. It's not Children of Men, I'll give, but as far as Nazi Stormtrooper recordings go, it's right up there.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Brocktune on Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:08 pm

AAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

sounds to me like you traded up! [/kenneth mars]
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:27 pm

HAHAHAHAHHA there actually is a song on here that sounds quite a lot like Springtime for Hitler in Germany too! Man, it's like having Franz Liebkind in your living room.

Dunca for ze fuck up, Amazon.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

PreviousNext

Return to Music