The POP Thread.

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

The POP Thread.

Postby doglips on Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:25 pm

Get up...Get down...Radio, video, Boogie with a suitcase, Your livin' in a disco, Forget about the rat race, Let's do the milkshake, sellin' like a hotcake, Try some buy some fee-fi-fo-fum, Talk about, pop musik, Talk about, pop musik, Shoobie doobie do wop, I wanna dedicate this, Pop pop shoo wop, Everybody made it, Shoobie doobie do wop, Infiltrate it, Pop pop shoo wop, Activate it, New York, London, Paris, Munich,
EVERYBODY TALK ABOUT POP MUSIK, Talk about, pop musik, Talk about, pop musik, Pop pop pop pop musik, Singing in the subway, Shuffle with a shoe shine, Fix me a molotov, I'm on the headline, Wanna be a gun slinger, Don't be a rock singer, Eenie meenie mynie moe, Tell me where you wanna go, Talk about, pop musik, Talk about, pop musik, Shoobie doobie do wop, Lyin' in the tree, Pop pop shoo wop, Eenee meenie, Shoobie doobie do wop, Pop pop shoo wop, You know what I mean, Hit it...Now you know what to say...Talk about, pop musik, Pop pop pop pop musik, All around the world, wherever you are, Dance in the street, anything you like, do it in your car in the middle of the night, La la la la la la la la la, La la la la la la la, Dance in the supermart, Dig it in the fastlane, Listen to the countdown, They're playin' our song again, I can't get, jumping jack, I wanna hold - get back, Moonlight muzak, Knick knack patty whack, Talk about, pop musik, Talk about, pop musik, Shoobie doobie do wop, It's all around you, Pop pop shoo wop, Gonna suround you, Shoobie doobie do wop, It's all around, Pop pop shoo wop, Hit it...New York, London, Paris, Munich, Everybody talk about pop musik, Talk about, pop musik, Talk about, pop musik, Pop pop pop pop musik, Now... listen...Talk about, Pop pop pop pop musik...

Who cares about POP music?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby darkjedijaina on Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:26 pm

Michael Jackson is KING OF POP! KING OF POP!

at least that's what all the sicilians used to say.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby doglips on Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:28 pm

Well, he used to be, for sure.

Justin is the new king.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:29 pm

ABC is one of the greatest pop songs.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:30 pm

MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Ribbons on Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:36 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Dirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrty POP!

Damn youse, MW, you beat me to it...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby doglips on Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:41 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Dirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrty POP!

haha BADASS!

N'Sync are a truly great, yet flawed pop group. The flaw? Chris Kirkpatrick.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Flumm on Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:32 pm

This is how you make eccentricity and naffness turn gold before our very eyes, Mr Robbie "Rude Box" Williams.

Gwen Stefani - Wind It Up
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby darkjedijaina on Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:35 pm

what was that Robbie Williams video that had him skating around ripping his clothes off and at the end supposedly his butt cheeks? they played that in sicily allllll the time, but i can't think of what the name of it is....
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby doglips on Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:36 pm

Flumm wrote:This is how you make eccentricity and naffness turn gold before our very eyes, Mr Robbie "Rude Box" Williams.

Yeah, the first few seconds you're like WTF? This is ALF, then you're like OMG! this is pretty good.

Whereas the first few seconds of Lovelight are like, WOW, good start, then it's like - MEH. What is Mark Ronson thinking about?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:38 pm

darkjedijaina wrote:what was that Robbie Williams video that had him skating around ripping his clothes off and at the end supposedly his butt cheeks? they played that in sicily allllll the time, but i can't think of what the name of it is....

Rock DJ, DJJ.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby darkjedijaina on Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:44 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:
darkjedijaina wrote:what was that Robbie Williams video that had him skating around ripping his clothes off and at the end supposedly his butt cheeks? they played that in sicily allllll the time, but i can't think of what the name of it is....

Rock DJ, DJJ.

ah yes.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby doglips on Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:51 pm

darkjedijaina wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote:

Rock DJ, DJJ.

ah yes.

Crikey!, posting links like that could cause the Zonetime continuum to implode.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby darkjedijaina on Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:55 pm

c'mon. that's hot.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Flumm on Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:03 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:
Flumm wrote:This is how you make eccentricity and naffness turn gold before our very eyes, Mr Robbie "Rude Box" Williams.

Yeah, the first few seconds you're like WTF? This is ALF, then you're like OMG! this is pretty good.

Whereas the first few seconds of Lovelight are like, WOW, good start, then it's like - MEH. What is Mark Ronson thinking about?

I like that she really seems to be enjoying it, aswell. It comes across in the video also.

There's something a little out of sync about her if I'm honest. She seems just too into it, a little more than eccentric, a little "fani" in the head.

I think she's essentially the crazey aunt, who gets away with being crazey because the world still focused on the hot part.

She's passively pwnting the world with her hotness, when essentially, she's just a big happy fruit loop, sharing her crazey pop ditties with the world and dressing in loopy crazey clothing crazily.

Which means that I love her incase anyone was having trouble cracking my code.

Love and have romantic feelings for, are not exclusively the same thing.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:04 pm

darkjedijaina wrote:c'mon. that's hot.

*the sounds of whatever the sound of a Zonetime continuim imploding sounds like*
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:09 pm

The Feeling.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!1!1!!!!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:12 pm

HAhaha, WTF!?!? Gwen Stefani yodeling and singing a mash-up of Snoops "Drop it like its hot" and BEP's "My Lumps". Now I really like Stefani too, but on first impressions this really is a step too far for her, back in the appalling direction of "Don't speak" (which I had previously reapraised)...

I think she may be on drugs.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby darkjedijaina on Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:15 pm

darkjedijaina wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote:

Rock DJ, DJJ.

ah yes.

i know it's my own fault, but this has been in my head since the other day and i can't make it stop!!!!! argh!
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:28 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:

I thought the first few seconds were ALF, then when I thought it couldn't get any worse IT DID.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:35 pm

allright, so that Lily Allen chick? After reading disgraced former Village Voice blogger Nick Sylvester's scathing beat down of her music and aesthetic, I was willing to write her off as just another drug addled spoiled rich bitch princess. So, even before hearing a single song by her, I was all aboard the Lily Allen backlash. And bitch-pop? Rad snap!

fuck, I loathe being wrong.

This little boob flasher is gonna be HUGE in the States.

HUGE!

and, damn if she ain't a fun, snarky 'lil vixen.

Sure, "Smile" is the weakest track off the album, yeah, she totally jacks the brilliant Professor Longhair track "Big Chief" on "Knock 'em Out", "LDN" tries a bit too hard, "Everything's Just Wonderful" isn't, but after that, gold.

GOLD!

"Not Big" is as potent a diss track I've heard this year, "Big Night" had me beating my meat like it owed me money (CATFIGHT!), "Shame For You" (which proves John-Locke don't know shite about slang, seeing how the girl says "poking me") is another fun 'lil "you ain't gettin' the goods no more, loser" track, "Take What You Take" is cheesy as all get out re-hash of the mid 90's vibe but it totally fucking works (as my nekkid gf dancing around the apartment will attest), and she saves the best beat for the last(?) track "Alfie".

I wanna go clubbing and gossip with this little minx...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:38 pm

Yeah, Alright Still is going to be in my top ten of the year.

Love your 'take what you take' comment, many were comparing her to Skinner, but this track made me realise she was more Ryder.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:49 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:more Ryder.

she's legal now, right?

'cuz I'd sure like to ride her!

ugh.
that embarrassed even me!

Got another one to boot...

I'd eat the bright sunshine out of her asshole anyday...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:51 pm

Nice. :?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:56 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:Nice. :?

heh, from my fave deranged bit of poetic genius from Mr. Ryder, off the track "Donovan"...

biggest E and Crack burnout ever wrote:Sunshine shone brightly through my asshole today
Could have tripped out quite easy but I decided to stay

where's my man Tony Wilson when I need him? I know my memory, addled with pounds and pounds of THC over the years, is spotty at best, but I fondly recall an exchange we had in the TB's, back before teh Zone (or, hell, it even might've been 86845) ever existed, about the genius of Sean. Tony claimed he was the greatest poet EVAR! and I shot back that while he's no Yeats, that line right there always floored me.

I need therapy...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:21 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote:

I thought the first few seconds were ALF, then when I thought it couldn't get any worse IT DID.

What is this ALF I keep hearing so much about?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby doglips on Sat May 05, 2007 8:35 pm

BUMP!

So as British POP goes, Calvin Harris is doing good at the moment.

Acceptable in the 80's is a great tune ( hilarious video - no that is not an otter, Kirk )

And here's his new one - The Girls.

Didn't think it was as good as AIT80's, but after a few listens it burrows into the POP membrane of your brain.

Not bad considering he recorded his whole album on an Amiga.

I'm hoping the album goes a little more Les Rythmes Digitales. We shall see.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby TonyWilson on Sat May 05, 2007 9:29 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:BUMP!

Acceptable in the 80's is a great tune ( hilarious video - no that is not an otter, Kirk )

Didn't think it was as good as AIT80's, but after a few listens it burrows into the POP membrane of your brain.

I've had AIT80's bounding round my head for few weeks now, it's damn good fun. I'm liking the new one too, thanks for the tip, dog.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby doglips on Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:57 pm

So, Kate Nash - Foundations Great song, good video. Do I buy the album?

Anyone heard this in the states yet? You can't escape it over here.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:05 pm

I dont listen to the radio so I wouldn't know if it's over here or not yet. I would imagine it would have to come at some point. Its too damn good not to.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:11 pm

TonyWilson wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote:B UMP!

I've had AIT80's bounding round my head for few weeks now, it's damn good fun. I'm liking the new one too, thanks for the tip, dog.

The Girls vid is pretty sweet. Its up on youtube here
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby junesquad on Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:26 pm

I just listened to Britney's new cd...

Don't throw stones....

While I don't think it's quite up to the level of some of her previous work, I loved the music and I can see she's back to putting out great albums. Loved the songs: Piece of Me, Radar and I'm still a fan of Gimme Gimme.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby doglips on Tue May 06, 2008 8:43 am

So who likes the new Coldplay song? Violet Hill was almost certainly recorded to play live, IMO. I can imagine it would work well in a stadium environment......

I think it's the sound of them trying a little hard - pushing forward ( not that much, lol - they seem to have reformatted their songwriting, ie - guitar hook in the middle ) whilst trying to retain their sound.

I'm looking forward to the new album though, I've been re-listening to X&Y and it seems better now than it did on release when I pretty much dismissed it.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Peven on Tue May 06, 2008 4:28 pm

best pop group of the 00's for me is Maroon 5. "Songs About Jane" is one of my favorite albums ever

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: The POP Thread.

Postby Flumm on Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:17 am

I thought perhaps I might post something in the Best New or Random Music threads, but I then noticed the last two posts in the Music forum were from Brock and Seppu, laden with insightfulness and good, discerning music aficionado deeds done.

So I adjusteded accordingly.

Christina Aguillera VS Velvet Underground
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: The POP Thread.

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:33 am

Flumm wrote:I thought perhaps I might post something in the Best New or Random Music threads, but I then noticed the last two posts in the Music forum were from Brock and Seppu, laden with insightfulness and good, discerning music aficionado deeds done.

So I adjusteded accordingly.

Christina Aguillera VS Velvet Underground

Hmm... Honestly that really works well
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Return to Music