OINGO BOINGO!

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

OINGO BOINGO!

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:29 pm

I know that theres a danny elfman thread going, but theres nothing about the band that got him his big start, OINGO BOINGO.

Possibly the diffinitave 80's band!

AHEAD OF THEIR TIME THEY WERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, are there any Boingo lovers out there (and not just danny elfman lovers)
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Brocktune on Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:40 pm

yes.

i have been a diehard fan for years.

absolutely one of the top five live acts i have ever seen, and one particular time was one of the greatest shows i have ever been to. sometimes my love is so intense, it scares me.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:41 pm

Does anyone but I love Dark at the End of the Tunnel? It's supposed to be mediocre at best, but it thrills me.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Brocktune on Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:51 pm

i think DATEOTT is considered their most "mature" album. while "when the lights go out" is a classic, i must admit to that album being the one that i was into the least. i think that its a far cry from what they were doing on their earlier (first 3) records. more mellow, more introspective, less outwardly angry. i think that that kind of a shift is going to cause some discontent among those who were all about what you "used" to do, you know. but, as a musician matures, they must stay true to themselves. it would have been more upsetting to see them try to keep doing something that they just couldnt anymore, as opposed to staying natural, even if it is at the cost of some loyal fans. just look at their last record (the second record to be titled "boingo" but the first with the band named "boingo" instead of "oingo boingo") its a great album, but something smacks of trying to rekindle a flame that has been dying for too long. something tells me though, that one day, i will look more favorably upon that record, for speaking to me in the same way the earlier records did. only at a time when i am more susceptible to the messages contained within.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:58 pm

when I was a senior in high school ('88), at the end of the year i passed around my yearbook to get signed (one of the gheyest HS customs).
so i pass it to this guy Bob, who i was moderatly freindly with, to sign. a few hours later i'm home looking at what people wrote, and fucking Bob had taken up half a mother fucking page with "Oingo Boingo Rules".
to this day wheni page thru that yearbook i am reminded what a dick he was.

i fucking loathe oingo boingo

edit: what teh fuck, ('88) is a word replacement? what gives?
Last edited by so sorry on Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DennisMM on Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:58 pm

Boingo the second was, after DATEOTT, obviously a move back into "Oingo Boingo music". You've hit that on the head. They couldn't really do it, could they? The record wasn't "fun."

My love for DATEOTT may be a product of coming into the band late -- I wasn't a big fan, only knew the singles, really -- and my love for the more introspective material on that album. Even "Try to Believe" is reflective.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:03 pm

Possibly the only time I can say I love little girls and get away with it.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Flumm on Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:04 pm

so sorry wrote:when I was a senior in high school ('88), at the end of the year i passed around my yearbook to get signed (one of the gheyest HS customs).
so i pass it to this guy Bob, who i was moderatly freindly with, to sign. a few hours later i'm home looking at what people wrote, and fucking Bob had taken up half a mother fucking page with "Oingo Boingo Rules".
to this day wheni page thru that yearbook i am reminded what a dick he was.

i fucking loathe oingo boingo

edit: what teh fuck, ('88) is a word replacement? what gives?

If I was writing in your highschool yearbook about now, I would be making smoochie on it, SS.

:o

EDIT: It's from when you put two eights together, they make the code version of the cool smiley.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:07 pm

All you can do is insert a space or a hyphen, I think. The usual tricks don't work.

The house in that video looks like Tim Burton built it. Then someone painted it white.
Last edited by DennisMM on Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DennisMM

Postby so sorry on Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:09 pm

geeks
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DennisMM on Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:23 pm

Don King wannabe.
DennisMM

Postby Brocktune on Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:27 pm

DennisMM wrote:The house in that video looks like Tim Burton built it. Then someone painted it white.

i think burton grew up on oingo boingo. it explains so much about his visual and directorial style.

also about why he has danny score almost everything he does.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:45 pm

I was thinking Nightmare Before Christmas the moment I saw the door.
DennisMM

Postby Brocktune on Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:59 pm

you know, i would actually like to see a poll to find out what boingo records the zone thinks is the best. we obviously know your choice, dennis, but it would be interesting to find out others too. i am particularly interested in so sorry's opinion on that one.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

OINGO BOINGO!

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:05 pm

Hell if anything, you could get two polls going with just favorite singles alone.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:41 am

I consider myself a big fan but there just isn't a big call for Boingo records around here so all I have is a greatest hits but there was a time when I got it that I just about burned through it with the laser on my CD player. Whenever Back To School is on I have to watch it at least long enough to see them play in the party scene.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: OINGO BOINGO!

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:35 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:00 am

Your post looks like the poster boy for birth control.
Any news to go with that or was that just some general appreciation?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:16 am

general appreciation :D
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Music