Best New Music 2007.

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:37 am

The Garbage Man wrote:Common, Finding Forever.

It's Common, of course it's good. Only three nitpicks:

1. It could be described as Be 2.0, following very closely to the style and sound of the last album (which is not a negative for me).
2. Too many pop-culture and tabloid references. Common should be above that shit, especially since it'll make this album feel dated in a few years.
3. Kanye's "singing." Ugh. DO NOT WANT.

Other than that, give it a listen if you're in the mood for some mature hip-hop.

That's exactly why I don't like it. Not as much as Be and his older stuff anyway. That and some of the beats make me sleepy. ZzzzZZZZZZzzzz
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby doglips on Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:41 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:I cannot stop listening to The Stage Names by Okkervil River.

6 spins since Tuesday.

most awesome.

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Okkervil River - The Stage Names - ****1/2

revised.

Five Stars.

not convinced based on the ravings of a paranoid drug addict?

P4k.

Filter.

Onion AV Club.

or how about a couple of interviews with songwriter Will Scheff?

P4k.

AV Club

how 'bout some lyrics?

"Our Life Is Not a Movie or Maybe"
"It’s just a life story, so there’s no climax.
No more new territory, so pull away the imax.
In the slot that you sliced through the scene there was no shyness.
In the plot that you passed through your teeth there was no pity.
No fade in: film begins on a kid in the big city.
And no cut to a costly parade (that’s for him only!).
No dissolve to a sliver of grey (that’s his new lady!)
where she glows just like grain on the flickering pane of some great movie."

"Unless It's Kicks"
"What gives this mess some grace unless it's fictions
Unless it's licks, man
Unless it's lies or it's love"

"Plus Ones"
"No one wants to hear about your 97th tear
So dry your eyes or let it go uncried, my dear
I am all out of love to mouth and to your ear
And not above letting a love song disappear before it's written

And no one wants a tune about the 100th luftballoon that was seen shooting from the window of your room
To be a spot against the sky's colossal gloom"

"I told you, I can't listen, baby, 'bout the 4th time you were a lady and how your forthrightness betrayed a secret shyness
Stripped away by days of being hailed as "your highness"
And what's new pussycat, as you were once a lionness
They cut your claws out."

"Love to a Monster"
"And i hope your new man thinks of me when he sees what a number I did on you."
"I grow tired of this song. Turn my eyes
to the blonde in the bleachers.
She's a lovely young creature.
I think she's seeking adventure.
I think she's ready to see that the world isn't so sweet or so tender.
I won't break her, just bend her, and make her into my new ringer for you.

I stay in the same comfy town, write the same old songs down, drive the same streets,
seek the same sense of dull peace, whisper the same sweet words to the chippies.
The same walk by the road and where the same muddy snow's finally leaving."

doglips voiced concerned to me about "complex song structure" but the music on "The Stage Names" grabbed me immediately, I'm not sure who to compare the sound to, but it sounded pretty classic rock-ish to me. Which isn't to say it's banal, 'cuz as dog will testify, it's hardly simple, rather nice contrast of upbeat rockers with devastating, emotionally wrenching lyrics.

Sheff's got empathy in spades, easily evidenced by his ability to put you into the mind of the various characters he writes about - John Berryman, Shannon Michelle Wilsey Longoria's father, and of course, his own wry, warped take on small towns, ex-girlfriends, and life in general.

I fucking LOVE this album...

I've listened to it a good few times now, and I've gotta tell you, I'm finding it a little twee.

Heh heh, obviously it's not twee at all.

'Unless it's Kicks' is one of the songs of the year.

The Stage Names is an exceptional album, like KC says it's hard to compare it to anything else. It is a classic rock album, but where something like Boys and Girls in America leans towards springsteen-ness,
this leans more towards a Shins-like pop slant., however Okkervil River use melodic hooks cleverly, without falling into a sea of twee ( I love Wincing the Night Away, btw ). It's a very considered and controlled record, but you'll find yourself singing along carefree. I suppose that's the balance in the record KC mentions.

I did find it hard to crack at first, but around the 5th listen some of the songs broke open to me, now I find it hard to understand why I found it tough to listen to at first.

I gave it 9/10 on my blag.

I think Alphonzo will love it, I think Ribbons will love it, I think Tony will love it - by recommending it to those fine fellows, I've recommended it to the whole zone.

Thanks and a hat tip to KC for the heads up!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:34 pm

doglips wrote:I've listened to it a good few times now, and I've gotta tell you, I'm finding it a little twee.

The Stage Names is an exceptional album, like KC says it's hard to compare it to anything else. It is a classic rock album, but where something like Boys and Girls in America leans towards springsteen-ness,
this leans more towards a Shins-like pop slant., however Okkervil River use melodic hooks cleverly, without falling into a sea of twee ( I love Wincing the Night Away, btw ). It's a very considered and controlled record, but you'll find yourself singing along carefree. I suppose that's the balance in the record KC mentions.

I did find it hard to crack at first, but around the 5th listen some of the songs broke open to me, now I find it hard to understand why I found it tough to listen to at first.

I think Alphonzo will love it, I think Ribbons will love it, I think Tony will love it - by recommending it to those fine fellows, I've recommended it to the whole zone.

it's worthwhile for everyone.

I was listtening the the softlightes album today Doglip's and that might be something you would dig. I prefer the EP from last year but the full length is damn good as well. The Title of the album says it all. "Say No To Being Cool, Say Yes To Being Happy" The guys previous band was called Incredible Moses Leroy. Great Pop Gems from that too.

Also, Moonbabies would be up your alley. Sun AM and Fieldtrip USA are pure audio bliss.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:49 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
doglips wrote:I've listened to it a good few times now, and I've gotta tell you, I'm finding it a little twee.

I like it ok, particularly the sly, dark 'Sloop John B' pisstake at the end. I don't mean to be overcritical, but it seems a little over-earnest at times (lyrically they certainly push the analogies between 'real life' and fiction to the very limit on the first few tracks), but by the same token I take stuff like The Hold Steady in the same way, so it might just be me.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby doglips on Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:28 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:

I was listtening the the softlightes album today Doglip's and that might be something you would dig. I prefer the EP from last year but the full length is damn good as well. The Title of the album says it all. "Say No To Being Cool, Say Yes To Being Happy" The guys previous band was called Incredible Moses Leroy. Great Pop Gems from that too.

Also, Moonbabies would be up your alley. Sun AM and Fieldtrip USA are pure audio bliss.

Thanks for the reccs, SFG. I'll have to check out both of those - Emusic here I come!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:56 am

doglips wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Thanks for the reccs, SFG. I'll have to check out both of those - Emusic here I come!

Let me know what you think.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby doglips on Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:32 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:I was listtening the the softlightes album today Doglip's and that might be something you would dig. I prefer the EP from last year but the full length is damn good as well. The Title of the album says it all. "Say No To Being Cool, Say Yes To Being Happy" The guys previous band was called Incredible Moses Leroy. Great Pop Gems from that too.

Might be something I'd dig? Come on, you knew I'd lap this up - what a fantastic record! Great juxtaposition of styles in all the tracks, not a dud on the entire album. As indie pop goes these guys have totally got it down. Was it released this year? The Incredible Moses Leroy is very good too.

Enjoying the Moonbabies , fitting in well with my current Asobi Seksu love. Moonbabies are more instant and yet more challenging at the same time, there is an underlying shoe-gazyness to it but they wear the pop on their sleeves rather than hiding it beneath layers of feedback.

Thanks for the reccs, you seem to have judged my tastes expertly!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:03 pm

doglips wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:I was listtening the the softlightes album today Doglip's and that might be something you would dig. I prefer the EP from last year but the full length is damn good as well. The Title of the album says it all. "Say No To Being Cool, Say Yes To Being Happy" The guys previous band was called Incredible Moses Leroy. Great Pop Gems from that too.

Might be something I'd dig? Come on, you knew I'd lap this up - what a fantastic record! Great juxtaposition of styles in all the tracks, not a dud on the entire album. As indie pop goes these guys have totally got it down. Was it released this year? The Incredible Moses Leroy is very good too.

Enjoying the Moonbabies , fitting in well with my current Asobi Seksu love. Moonbabies are more instant and yet more challenging at the same time, there is an underlying shoe-gazyness to it but they wear the pop on their sleeves rather than hiding it beneath layers of feedback.

Thanks for the reccs, you seem to have judged my tastes expertly!

I am glad you like them! The softlightes full length was out this year and Moonabies at the ballroom was this year as well. The moonbabies isn't my favorite of theirs but its still damn great.

Ive been listening to A Place to Bury Strangers - s/t a lot its sort of like noise/shoegaze meets joy division.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby doglips on Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:07 pm

I listened to some mp3s of A Place to Bury Strangers and they didn't grab me. I'll give them another listen.

I'm going to pick up Strawberry Jam and Proof of Youth tomorrow.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:09 pm

Huzzah, I'm going to see Okkervil River tonight, which, I've just been informed, makes me cool! 8)

I've heard and loved several of their songs but didn't realize the buzz they were getting in here until just now (thanks Stereos).
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby doglips on Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:13 pm

The album is great, Moo. My biggest grower this year.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:16 pm

doglips wrote:The album is great, Moo. My biggest grower this year.

The National album is the biggest grower for me.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:17 pm

doglips wrote:I listened to some mp3s of A Place to Bury Strangers and they didn't grab me. I'll give them another listen.

I'm going to pick up Strawberry Jam and Proof of Youth tomorrow.

I dig both of those, but Proof of Youth is just more of the same when I expected so much more.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby St. Alphonzo on Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:26 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:

Okkervil didn't really need to grow on me... I dug it right out the chute. The National ("Boxer") however, is really growing on me. They're playing Portland next month, and I'm giving serious consideration to dropping $15 to see them.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:30 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Okkervil didn't really need to grow on me... I dug it right out the chute. The National ("Boxer") however, is really growing on me. They're playing Portland next month, and I'm giving serious consideration to dropping $15 to see them.

I just saw them last thursday good show!

See the Okkervil had to grow on me or change my preconcieved notions as I love Black Sheep Boy to death and this is a different beast.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:56 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:Huzzah, I'm going to see Okkervil River tonight, which, I've just been informed, makes me cool! 8)

show in SF was sold out WAY in advance, so I didn't get the pleasure.

do spill about the show though, as I've only heard great things about their live act...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:57 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:Huzzah, I'm going to see Okkervil River tonight, which, I've just been informed, makes me cool! 8)

do spill about the show though, as I've only heard great things about their live act...

I bought the ticket 2.5 month in advance for the one here.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby doglips on Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:51 am

St. Alphonzo wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Do it! I saw them in June and was mightily impressed. Berninger is quite the front man. Mistaken by Strangers was totally amazing live.

I managed to get Arcade Fire tickets, so I'm off to see them in October.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:01 am

Not seen much love for Super Furry Animals "Hey Venus!" in this thread. It is poppier than their earlier stuff and the lead single "Show your hand" is not a tune I'm a huge fan of... but with songs about your baby eating your eight ball and frothing at the mouth as they ascend to heaven... then well...

Oh yeah and the Roy Orbison like crooning on "Runaway" is pretty nice. But, the standout track so far, for me is "Suckers", now that would have been an awesome single. CHECK IT!
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby tapehead on Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:10 am

!!! I just got this - haven't even played it yet. SFA are not a band that has garnered much attention in the Zone (or at least that I'd noticed), so your recommendation comes as a pleasant surprise.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:19 am

They were the band I made my first thread about, it got a grand total of 4 posts... sob.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:51 am

I am a fan of SFA. I think I have pretty much everything theyve put out so far.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby doglips on Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:34 am

SFG, have you heard any School of Seven Bells?

http://www.myspace.com/schoolofsevenbells

Connjur is an amazing song. They have a new EP out, it's up on Emusic.

Just wondering if you'd heard it?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:27 am

doglips wrote:SFG, have you heard any School of Seven Bells?

I totally dig the myspace stuff. Thanks for recommendation.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:02 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

Sorry, hadn't updated because...welll...it ended up being a shitty night. Not at ALL OR's fault though...

It was a clusterfuck of biblical proportions. I was so bummed, especially after talking about the other night in here and reading everyone's posts. When it comes to going to shows my friend Angie and I are always the driving forces of our little group...unfortunately she dislocated her shoulder recently. She came to the show but was in quite a lot of pain, there was nowhere for her to sit down...we made it about a third of the way through the set before we took pity on her and left.

Poor girl, not her fault, but yeah, I didn't see much. What I did see was fantastic! Great stage presence, they sounded very good live, not at all a "studio band". I was very impressed.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:08 pm

Well that's a shame Moo. Atleast you liked what you saw.

I'll report when I see them on them on the 30th.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby doglips on Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:11 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:

Yeah, pretty impressive.

I found them searching for new Secret Machines info -

School of Seven Bells is a new band formed by Benjamin Curtis of Secret Machines. He left Secret Machines in early 2007 to concentrate on the new band solely.
The band also includes twins Alejandra and Claudia Deheza, formerly of On! Air! Library!, and James Elliot aka Ateleia.
Curtis and the Deheza sisters met when both were opening on an Interpol tour.
The band is named after the School of the Seven Bells, a legendary pickpocket training academy.
A single My Cabal was released in May 2007 on the UK label Sonic Cathedral.
A 12"/digital EP Face to Face on High Places is due out in September 2007 on Table of the Elements, as is a single from Prefuse 73 called Class of 73 Bells that features the band.
The band will tour with Blonde Redhead in September 2007.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:38 pm

doglips wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Yeah, pretty impressive.

I found them searching for new Secret Machines info -

School of Seven Bells is a new band formed by Benjamin Curtis of Secret Machines. He left Secret Machines in early 2007 to concentrate on the new band solely.
The band also includes twins Alejandra and Claudia Deheza, formerly of On! Air! Library!, and James Elliot aka Ateleia.
Curtis and the Deheza sisters met when both were opening on an Interpol tour.
The band is named after the School of the Seven Bells, a legendary pickpocket training academy.
A single My Cabal was released in May 2007 on the UK label Sonic Cathedral.
A 12"/digital EP Face to Face on High Places is due out in September 2007 on Table of the Elements, as is a single from Prefuse 73 called Class of 73 Bells that features the band.
The band will tour with Blonde Redhead in September 2007.

I like all the bands the members come from no wonder i dig it.

I knew the name sounded familiar too. It was due to the Blonde Redhead tour. Not sure if I'll be able to check out the show though.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:09 pm

Im glad p4k actually agreed with my judgement of the new go! team.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:09 am

magicmonkey wrote:They were the band I made my first thread about, it got a grand total of 4 posts... sob.

'Baby Ate my Eightball', 'Battersea Odyssey' and at least three other tracks on the album are really getting a hammering through my speakers - a very nice album, more melodic and perhaps with a sunnier disposition than some of their previous work - less aggressive maybe.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:33 am

tapehead wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:They were the band I made my first thread about, it got a grand total of 4 posts... sob.

'Baby Ate my Eightball', 'Battersea Odyssey' and at least three other tracks on the album are really getting a hammering through my speakers - a very nice album, more melodic and perhaps with a sunnier disposition than some of their previous work - less aggressive maybe.

Yeah, it sounds like a new intro to the Super's kinda album and as much as I enjoy it, I still miss their batshit insane techno moments. Still, it's weeks after I got it and I'm yet to tire of it, I'm particularly loving "Carbon Dating" at the moment.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby tapehead on Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:42 am

Baby Ate My Eightball' is like a new 'Golden Retriever' - SFA's version of pop music, rollicking and catchy, whilst just a but creepy and weird at the same time - can't overestimate my enjoyment of this song. Awesomely daft singing and harmonies too. I guess this does come at the expense of a certain scary intensity they used to have at times, but it's not a bad trade-off.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:56 am

"Baby ate my..." is indeed one of my fav's. It has so much power, seediness,guilt and depravity, in its seeming indictment of rock personality superificiality and yet the tune is something so innocently loopy that it stays whistling around in your head for days / hours.

I got incredibly pissed on the day I got the album, and after listening to it, under the influence, I could not hear that song for days, it made me physically ill :lol:
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:51 am

Sunset Rubdown - Random Spirit Lover

PHE-FUCKING-NOMENAL

Baroque, creepy, tender and dark. As the nights draw in this should be on everyone's stereo.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:54 am

TonyWilson wrote:Sunset Rubdown - Random Spirit Lover

PHE-FUCKING-NOMENAL

Baroque, creepy, tender and dark. As the nights draw in this should be on everyone's stereo.

I tried to get people to listen to that ages ago! =p.

It's definitely in the top 5 records of the year.

I am going to see them tommorow and am very excited.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:58 am

It's only been out a day where I am.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:02 pm

TonyWilson wrote:It's only been out a day where I am.

excuses excuses :wink:
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:06 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:

Haha, yeh ok.

I did have a vague memory of someone recommending them but I have trouble finding time to listen to stuff I've heard let alone other rec's. It was Pitchforks review that got me to check it out.

Good call though dude it is amazing, you better comeback with a review of that concert...and pics. Video maybe? :D
TonyWilson

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:10 pm

TonyWilson wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Haha, yeh ok.

I did have a vague memory of someone recommending them but I have trouble finding time to listen to stuff I've heard let alone other rec's. It was Pitchforks review that got me to check it out.

Good call though dude it is amazing, you better comeback with a review of that concert...and pics. Video maybe? :D

Camera is shot. I need a new one. I'll definitely write up a review friday at work.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:24 pm

To reiterate:

stereosforgeeks wrote:Sunset Rubdown - Random Spirit Lover.

This is the best Sunset Rubdown album yet! It manages to keep the weirdness, but it all feels necessary to the compositions. It truly can be weirdly beautiful at times.

The songs themselves manage to flow effortlessly together to create something allmost cinematic but each manages to stand on it's own.

The lyrics are offbeat and filled with specificity and great imagery that just accentuate the great musical framing.

If this isn't in my top 5 at the end of the year it will have been a crazy closer to the year.

Finally in a year that I've been let down more often than not, I feel like there is an album to truly champion without reservations.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:02 pm

I went through the over 500 albums I have listened to thus far this yr and compiled a list of the ones I listen to continually:

Menomena - Friend and Foe
Busdriver - Roadkillovercoat
Softlightes - Say No To Being Cool Say Yes To Being Happy
LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?
Marnie Stern - In Advance Of The Broken Arm
Apples In Stereo - New Magnetic Wonder
Jesu - Conqueror
Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha
The Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
Dustin Kensrue - Please Come Home
Blonde Redhead - 23
Feist - The Reminder
Radical Face - Ghost
El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead
Battles - Mirrored
Ola Podrida - Ola Podrida
Wilco - Sky Blue Sky
Moonbabies - Moonbabies At The Ballroom
The National - Boxer
Great Lake Swimmers - Ongiara
The Twilight Sad - Fourteen Autumns & Fifteen Winters
David Thomas Broughton - It's In There Somewhere...
Elliott Smith - New Moon
Mixtapes and Cellmates - Mixtapes and Cellmates
Black Moth Super Rainbow - Dandelion Gum
The Saturday Knights - The Saturday Knights
Apparat - Walls
White Rabbits - Fort Nightly
Nurses - Hangin' Nothin' But Our Hands Down
Justice - †
Shapes and Sizes - Split Lips, Winning Hips, A Shiner
New Pornographers - Challengers
Okkervil River - The Stage Names
Josh Small - Tall
Jason Isbell - Sirens of the Ditch
Caribou - Andorra
Los Campesinos - Sticking Fingers Into Sockets
Calvin Harris - I Created Disco
Shitdisco - Kingdom Of Fear
Sunset Rubdown - Random Spirit Lover
High Places - High Places EP
Xiu Xiu Larsen - Spicchiology Sources
Jens Lekman - Night Falls Over Kortedala
M.I.A. - Kala
The Weakerthans - Reunion Tour
Pinback - Autumn of the Seraphs
José González - In Our Nature
Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass
Prinzhorn Dance School - Prinzhorn Dance School
Beirut - the flying club cup
O'Death - Headed Home
A Place to Bury Strangers - A Place to Bury Strangers
Future Of The Left - Curses
Georgie James - Places
aussitot mort - 6 songs
Les Savy Fav - Let's Stay Friends
Baroness - Red Album
The Shocking Pinks - The Shocking Pinks
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ag
Deer Tick - War Elephant
Lucky Soul - The Great Unwanted
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:58 pm

My life is over, why is that you say, because I just get an advance copy of Thrice's "The Alchemy Index Vol. 1 + 2". Pretty much giving my life over to its greatness.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:19 pm

I'm really diggin' Jack Penate's new LP at the moment. I wasn't entirely convinced by his EP stuff, but I'm playing the album in the car all the time.

In particular this track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rjc0Q2ktgw
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:30 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I'm really diggin' Jack Penate's new LP at the moment. I wasn't entirely convinced by his EP stuff, but I'm playing the album in the car all the time.

In particular this track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rjc0Q2ktgw

Holy crap the ska sound is still around!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:46 pm

hey Stereo, Tapes (or anyone else who might've heard of 'em)...

what say you of The Shocking Pinks, or, I guess now that they're on DFA, Shocking Pinks?

Just picked up their debut(?), Dance the Dance Electric, which certainly fits in with the DFA sound, and I was so impressed I went and snagged Shocking Pinks, which doesn't fit with the typical DFA sound, but instead revels in a "post-disco-dreampop-miseralbilism" (Nick Harte's words, not mine, but rather apt, in an oblique sort of way).
Last edited by Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:49 pm

I like the self titled better. It's quite varied across the album, but manages to sound consistent. Theres still a shoegazey edge to it.
Last edited by stereosforgeeks on Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:42 pm

My housemate - a kiwi, happens to be a big fan of this band, who are from Christchurch -She tells me their lineup completely changed between the two albums, (I think they've had four lp's now) which might explain the shift from sounding a little reminiscent of My Bloody Valentine on their Flying Nun releases to their current sound - which as you say, is a perfect fit for DFA. Looking forward to seeing them live.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:13 pm

Muscles - Guns Babes Lemonade is one of the funnest dance records of the yr. Do yourself a favor and pick up this lowfi electro dance record.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:02 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Muscles - Guns Babes Lemonade is one of the funnest dance records of the yr. Do yourself a favor and pick up this lowfi electro dance record.

Yeah it's a cool record -I've been meaning to write it up here - I get to hear a lot of the stuff that comes out on Modular pretty early (it's an Australian based label).
Last edited by tapehead on Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm

tapehead wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Muscles - Guns Babes Lemonade is one of the funnest dance records of the yr. Do yourself a favor and pick up this lowfi electro dance record.

Yeah it's a cool record -I've been meaning to wrote it up here - I get to hear a lot of the stuff that comes out on Modular pretty early (it's an Australian label).

avalanches did some stuff on there right
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

PreviousNext

Return to Music