Best New Music 2007.

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby tapehead on Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:04 pm

I think they were the first act ever signed to them.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:21 pm

tapehead wrote:I think they were the first act ever signed to them.

well thatd make sense.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:11 am

My opinion: Kinda like James Murphy turning up to play a rave party with a bunch of old Prince and Italo-disco records.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:59 am

Whoa a trifecta of Thrice, Say Anything, and Coheed. Throw in Radiohead and the month of October fucking ROCKED.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:03 am

tapehead wrote:My opinion: Kinda like James Murphy turning up to play a rave party with a bunch of old Prince and Italo-disco records.

It sounded a lot like Lo-Fi-Fnk to me.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:05 am

Leckomaniac wrote:Whoa a trifecta of Thrice, Say Anything, and Coheed. Throw in Radiohead and the month of October fucking ROCKED.

Don't forget Saves the Day and it was a return to early years of my musical taste.

The Saves the Day sucks though as was expected.

The Say Anything is too long. It could have been a killer album but he felt the need to make it a double.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:18 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:Whoa a trifecta of Thrice, Say Anything, and Coheed. Throw in Radiohead and the month of October fucking ROCKED.

Don't forget Saves the Day and it was a return to early years of my musical taste.

The Say Anything is too long. It could have been a killer album but he felt the need to make it a double.

The Saves The Day is no good!?!?!?? AIIIEEEEEE! That kills me. I watched all the "making of" vids over at AP.net and the songs sounded good. Sound The Alarm was just SOOO bad I was hoping this would be something better.

I disagree about Say Anything. I was Mr. Negativity about it being a double album. I am the type of guy that demands his cds be 10 songs long. Seriously, almost all of my favorite cds of all time have lasted EXACTLY 10 songs. So when a cd blows over that limit I get kind of antsy. Only a handful of cds have greatly surpassed 10 songs and held my interest. This was one of them. I adore all 27 songs and that certainly says something. I view the new Say Anything as quite an accomplishment. I was so greatly surprised at how happy I was that it ended up being a double cd.

However, the whole thing has made me question the entire practice of double cds. See, for me, even if I LOVE every song...it is still too much material. I like the 10 song limit because it is just long enough to get to know the cd in one sitting. You can usually get through it in a to and from trip in the car. Its quite convenient. If I had my way, double cds would release one cd every 6 months or something like that. Basically what Thrice is doing. Instead of throwing 24 songs at you...they released 12 this month and 12 more next spring.

Now I have to make sure that I dont end up being Disc 1 heavy with my iPod (all 27 songs are in my playlist). So if I am going on a short trip I have to make sure that I skip ahead to song #1 from the second cd.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:35 am

Leckomaniac wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

The Saves The Day is no good!?!?!?? AIIIEEEEEE! That kills me. I watched all the "making of" vids over at AP.net and the songs sounded good. Sound The Alarm was just SOOO bad I was hoping this would be something better.

I just can't get into StD trying to a 60s pop band.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:36 am

See I dont mind that. Kind of like In Reverie? I enjoyed that album. Its Saves The Day attempting desperately to recapture the "punk rock" sound of their youth that I cant stand. Sound The Alarm was supposed to be another "Through Being Cool" and it was just shit.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:41 am

Leckomaniac wrote:See I dont mind that. Kind of like In Reverie? I enjoyed that album. Its Saves The Day attempting desperately to recapture the "punk rock" sound of their youth that I cant stand. Sound The Alarm was supposed to be another "Through Being Cool" and it was just shit.

Actually I've been disappointed with it all since can't slow down. I really liked the accoustic ep though.

Every album since then has just been worse and worse. Maybe it's just the growing older. My band in HS used to cover Always 10ft tall. It was an anthem of my youth.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:44 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:See I dont mind that. Kind of like In Reverie? I enjoyed that album. Its Saves The Day attempting desperately to recapture the "punk rock" sound of their youth that I cant stand. Sound The Alarm was supposed to be another "Through Being Cool" and it was just shit.

Actually I've been disappointed with it all since can't slow down. I really liked the accoustic ep though.

Every album since then has just been worse and worse. Maybe it's just the growing older. My band in HS used to cover Always 10ft tall. It was an anthem of my youth.

See, for me, I came in around Through Being Cool so THAT thing was the anthem of my youth. I liked the EP, I liked Stay What You Are, I kind of liked In Reverie. I thought Sound The Alarm was an all new form of garbage. I had hoped this would redeem them, but I guess that wont be the case. Whatever.

In high school, my band used to cover Rocks Tonic Juice Magic. :lol:
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:07 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:In high school, my band used to cover Rocks Tonic Juice Magic. :lol:

Haha nice.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:12 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
tapehead wrote:My opinion: Kinda like James Murphy turning up to play a rave party with a bunch of old Prince and Italo-disco records.

nice - I've had a copy of 'boylife' since sometime last year, but never really listened to it - can you tell me anything about them? Swedish band? or just their label?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:18 pm

tapehead wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

nice - I've had a copy of 'boylife' since sometime last year, but never really listened to it - can you tell me anything about them? Swedish band? or just their label?

The only thing I know is they are from Stockholm and they make great 8bit disco. Ohh they remixed Softlightes on the Softlightes debut EP.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:19 pm

I really like that new gal, Colbie Callait. She has a lovely voice that is easy on the ears. An acoustic folky soul sound - quite nice!

;)
Maui
WoWie

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:35 pm

Dude, stereo, I just listened to the new Saves The Day and I rather enjoyed it. The first few songs were tight. The rest of the album most certainly does not live up to the first 2 or 3 songs...but it is still solid. Way better than Sound the Alarm...and on par with In Reverie. I am pretty content with the music of this month. I actually couldn't be happier.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:47 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Dude, stereo, I just listened to the new Saves The Day and I rather enjoyed it. The first few songs were tight. The rest of the album most certainly does not live up to the first 2 or 3 songs...but it is still solid. Way better than Sound the Alarm...and on par with In Reverie. I am pretty content with the music of this month. I actually couldn't be happier.

The 3rd track isn't bad.

The second song reminded me of an old ska song also about radio with a 60s pop vibe.

The first track reminds me of a metal ballad.

Like I said I hated In Reverie so sounding like that is an automatic turn off.

I'm glad you like it. I just think this stuff isn't my cup o tea anymore.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:51 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:Dude, stereo, I just listened to the new Saves The Day and I rather enjoyed it. The first few songs were tight. The rest of the album most certainly does not live up to the first 2 or 3 songs...but it is still solid. Way better than Sound the Alarm...and on par with In Reverie. I am pretty content with the music of this month. I actually couldn't be happier.

The 3rd track isn't bad.

The second song reminded me of an old ska song also about radio with a 60s pop vibe.

I should rephrase, I don't think it SOUNDED like In Reverie, but its the best thing they have made since In Reverie. It is up to par with it quality wise.

But to each his own. I dig it. You don't. No big deal...we just need to, you know, fight to the death. :wink:
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:56 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

The 3rd track isn't bad.

I should rephrase, I don't think it SOUNDED like In Reverie, but its the best thing they have made since In Reverie. It is up to par with it quality wise.

But to each his own. I dig it. You don't. No big deal...we just need to, you know, fight to the death. :wink:

I did think it sounded like in reverie. :-P

About this deathmatch. You sure you want to go head to head with this
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:01 pm

stereosforgeeksquote= wrote:
I did think it sounded like in reverie. :-P

About this deathmatch. You sure you want to go head to head with this

You ever see Rocky IV...when he is training in the Soviet Union...or Angel Season 2 when Darla comes back and Angel fires his crew and starts to make himself "dark" to fight Darla and Drusilla? Thats how I roll.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:25 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:You ever see Rocky IV...when he is training in the Soviet Union...or Angel Season 2 when Darla comes back and Angel fires his crew and starts to make himself "dark" to fight Darla and Drusilla? Thats how I roll.

Hahaha. Very good sir.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:43 pm

Hey lecko, do you like The Rocket Summer?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:45 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Hey lecko, do you like The Rocket Summer?

They get some time in my rotation. I am not head-over-heels or anything, but when its sunny outside and I am riding my bike along the beach...it feels just right.

Why?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:47 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:

They get some time in my rotation. I am not head-over-heels or anything, but when its sunny outside and I am riding my bike along the beach...it feels just right.

Why?

Ohh because I like the new album. I mean it's not going change the world or anything but it's a good fun emo pop record.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:49 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:

Why?

Ohh because I like the new album. I mean it's not going change the world or anything but it's a good fun emo pop record.

That is exactly what TRS delivers on a regular basis. Like I said, it fits perfectly when you are lying on the beach...baking in the sun. It always ends up in my headphones and I like it that way.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:55 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:

Why?

That is exactly what TRS delivers on a regular basis. Like I said, it fits perfectly when you are lying on the beach...baking in the sun. It always ends up in my headphones and I like it that way.

Perfect summer curising record as well.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:59 pm

Totally. I used to have a yellow jeep wrangler. During summers, the top would be down, old TRS would be playing. Quite heavenly.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Hermanator X on Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:28 pm

This is wishful thinking on my part, but I have been looking forward to this album for a while. Its the new Saul Williams album, produced my Trent Reznor and it sounds interesting to say the least. They are going the radiohead route of releasing it, but with a slight difference.

For 5 dollah you get the choice of a higher quality download with a pdf of album art, or you can download the lower quality one for ZERO, available for download from 1st november.

Anyhoo, heres the linky (I think the album title is dubious, but i will reserve judgement until I can hear it).

http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/moreinfo
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:36 pm

Hermanator X wrote:This is wishful thinking on my part, but I have been looking forward to this album for a while. Its the new Saul Williams album, produced my Trent Reznor and it sounds interesting to say the least. They are going the radiohead route of releasing it, but with a slight difference.

For 5 dollah you get the choice of a higher quality download with a pdf of album art, or you can download the lower quality one for ZERO, available for download from 1st november.

Anyhoo, heres the linky (I think the album title is dubious, but i will reserve judgement until I can hear it).

http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/moreinfo

That's a pretty terrible album name.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Hermanator X on Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:39 pm

My thoughts exactly, but curious to hear the collaboration.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:40 pm

Hermanator X wrote:My thoughts exactly, but curious to hear the collaboration.

I have no idea who this guy is but ill give it a go at some point.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby doglips on Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:10 pm

Hey, SFG, have you heard any of the new Lupe Fiasco album? - heard a track from it on UK radio and it sounded good. Wondered if you'd heard any more.....
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:14 pm

doglips wrote:Hey, SFG, have you heard any of the new Lupe Fiasco album? - heard a track from it on UK radio and it sounded good. Wondered if you'd heard any more.....

Nah I haven't yet. I will try to search it out some stuff tonight.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby doglips on Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:54 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
doglips wrote:Hey, SFG, have you heard any of the new Lupe Fiasco album? - heard a track from it on UK radio and it sounded good. Wondered if you'd heard any more.....

Here it is SUPERSTAR

That's a sweet vocal from Santos. Good track.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:58 pm

doglips wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Here it is SUPERSTAR

That's a sweet vocal from Santos. Good track.

It is a sweet track. Thanks for the link dl.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:12 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Muscles - Guns Babes Lemonade is one of the funnest dance records of the yr. Do yourself a favor and pick up this lowfi electro dance record.

Now with Pitchfork review
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:49 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:hey Stereo, Tapes (or anyone else who might've heard of 'em)...

what say you of The Shocking Pinks, or, I guess now that they're on DFA, Shocking Pinks?

Just picked up their debut(?), Dance the Dance Electric, which certainly fits in with the DFA sound, and I was so impressed I went and snagged Shocking Pinks, which doesn't fit with the typical DFA sound, but instead revels in a "post-disco-dreampop-miseralbilism" (Nick Harte's words, not mine, but rather apt, in an oblique sort of way).

stereosforgeeks wrote:I like the self titled better. It's quite varied across the album, but manages to sound consistent. Theres still a shoegazey edge to it.

You guys might be interested, and perhaps others too. If you get the DFA mailing list, or sign up now, presumably, at the moment they're giving away (via digital download) an ep including;

Shocking Pinks live performing 'Emily'

Prinzhorn Dance school doing a longish set (haven't listened to it yet)

and a live video of LCD doing 'Us Vs Them'

Pretty ace freebie really, I especially enjoy that the encodes are at 320 kbps.
There's a bit of drm-related fuckaroo, so I just converted them to a different format and deleted the originals.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:37 pm

cool tapes. Thanks for the heads up!

That Prinzhorn cd is pretty cool. I havent formulated my full opinion yet, though, as it still needs more listens.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:16 pm

Ive been grooving on the CunninLynguists - Dirty Acres album, lately. It's a chill ass hiphop record much less confrontational than their previous ones.

I have always loved their beats and here it is no different, but it's a lot smoother and everything just flows into each other wonderfully.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:25 am

Blonde Redhead 23 - Drafting Alan Moulder on board as Producer has certainly given this band the opportunity to take their My Bloody Valentine / Cocteau Twins fixation to the extreme, and on the opening title track, they do just that. Hints of Moulder's other production work are all over this album, and for me that's a very good thing.
This is clearly their shot at large scale success (for one thing all the lyrics on this album are in English), but it seems rather than a watering down of their previously broad-ranging influences, this sound more like a coalescence and distillation of the good noise this group has made on their previous six lps (although I'll admit I only know the last three and a few eps).
It's also a listen where you can forget everything else and just revel in the guitar sounds (man these guys must work some elaborate racks live), but Kazu Makino's voice and range is growing (just a little) broader, with less ethereal whispering and sighing on this album than any earlier work, and with the brothers, at any rate, sharing half the duties, they sound at times like French Duo AIR (whereas in the past, it's been more like Serge Gainsbourg).
Shoe-gazers for the new millennium? this will probably turn up in my top 10 for '07, and is definitely the best music I've heard this year to falls into a hallucinatory drug-coma while listening to.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:18 am

I do like that new Blonde Redhead album, but Melody For Certain Damaged Lemons will always be my favorite.

That watering down thing is what keeps it from being higher on my list.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:22 am

Speaking of shoegaze MBV will have a new album out shortly. I am very much looking forward to that.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby jleft on Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:23 pm

Another year ... where does it go ?

Artists' of the year has to be Vladislav Delay and Taylor Duepree .
jleft
GLIB

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:32 pm

jleft wrote:Another year ... where does it go ?

Artists' of the year has to be Vladislav Delay and Taylor Duepree .

And which one of these people is you???

:wink:
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:14 pm

tapehead wrote:Blonde Redhead 23

"Dr. Strangeluv" has been on heavy rotation for me lately. Their last album was pretty good... several fantastic songs mixed in with some "filler"... but 23 is really quite good all around.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Seppuku on Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:53 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Speaking of shoegaze MBV will have a new album out shortly. I am very much looking forward to that.

You heard Japancakes' cover album of Loveless that was released a couple of weeks ago by any chance? Was listening to it at a friend's house, and it was a mighty strange experience. They ditched the vocals and most of the distortion in exchange for pedal steel guitar and cello. Not sure if I'd recommend buying it to anyone, but if you can find it via other means, it might be worth a listen just for the novelty value.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:55 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Speaking of shoegaze MBV will have a new album out shortly. I am very much looking forward to that.

You heard Japancakes' cover album of Loveless that was released a couple of weeks ago by any chance? Was listening to it at a friend's house, and it was a mighty strange experience. They ditched the vocals in exchange for pedal steel guitar and cello. Not sure if I'd recommend buying it to anyone, but if you can find it via other means, it might be worth a listen just for the novelty value.

Loveless is one of my favorite albums of all time so I will definitely have to give this a listen. Thanks for the suggestion.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Seppuku on Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:00 pm

No problem. At the very least, the cover album proves that MBV had some really strong melodies underneath all that reverb.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:10 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:No problem. At the very least, the cover album proves that MBV had some really strong melodies underneath all that reverb.

Absolutely they did!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:51 pm

Ive been listening to Dr. Dog a lot lately. Some awesome 60s inspired pop songs, but with some weird flourishes as well.

Check it out here
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

PreviousNext

Return to Music