Page 1 of 1

Best (discoveries) of 2006

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:44 am
by mistertim
Ok, I know we've already got a 'best of 2006' thread, but I've been rubbish and not really listened to as much new music as I should have done this year. However, There's been lots of older stuff I've discovered, that would easily be in my top ten had they been new releases. What bands / albums / songs have you got into and loved this year, that aren't new releases?

A few from me:

The Van Pelt
The Dismemberment Plan
A friend who's a huge Chris Leo fan practically forced me to listen to these two, and I wasn't dissapointed. Like 'Brighten the Corners' era Pavement, Shellac and Les Savvy Fav, with some really witty lyrics.

Iggy and the Stooges.
I liked them before, but have you seen them live? christ! The man's a 60-odd recovering heroin addict, and can still rock harder than most younger bands I've seen.

Neu!
2006, the year I finally 'got' Krautrock. Listening to Fujiya and Miyagi (easily one of my top new albums of the year) tempted me to go back and listen to some of their more obvious influences, and it's great, timeless stuff.

Dinosaur Jr
Another candidate for the Iggy Pop "old men who still know how to rock out" award, but bloody hell, that guitar playing! How I didn't get into them sooner is beyond me.

So, which older musical gems did you discover / revisit this year?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:15 pm
by d_the_sandman
I discovered a lot of new stuff this year, thanks for asking. I know this is my first post ever, but I'm just gonna continue like ya'll know me. It's better that way.

In rock I discovered Joshua Homme, and everything that comes with that name. Kyuss, Queens of the Stone Age, The Desert Sessions, etc. It's all amazing. The album that started it all for me was the first self-titled QOTSA album. That album is just so...........RAW. I left it on my shelf over-night, and woke up the next morning to discover it had came to life and murdered all the other CD's in my collection. Blood everywhere. It was kinda strange.

In Hip Hop I discovered Ghostface Killah this year. I'm not a huge fan of NY rap, so Ghostface's style always seemed kinda goofy to me, but I listened to "Fishscales" and thought it was one of the better releases of the whole year. So, I went back and checked out the rest of his catalogue, and now I'm a huge fan. The dude is an insane genius.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:22 pm
by MonkeyM666
All the stuff in Tapes thread of best music of 2006...

I love the Zone for that :)

<everybody>... oooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:52 pm
by mistertim
MonkeyM666 wrote:All the stuff in Tapes thread of best music of 2006...


mistertim wrote:Ok, I know we've already got a 'best of 2006' thread, but I've been rubbish and not really listened to as much new music as I should have done this year. However, There's been lots of older stuff I've discovered, that would easily be in my top ten had they been new releases. What bands / albums / songs have you got into and loved this year, that aren't new releases?


Point taken, but since Tape's thread is ostensibly about *new* music, I thought it might be both entertaining and educational to find out what people have been listening to this year that isn't, strictly speaking, a new release. Sorry if I didn't make this clear....

Re: Best (discoveries) of 2006

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:58 pm
by Bob Samonkey
mistertim wrote:Dinosaur Jr
Another candidate for the Iggy Pop "old men who still know how to rock out" award, but bloody hell, that guitar playing! How I didn't get into them sooner is beyond me.


So are they still trying to be the loudest band ever? I really dug their older CD back in the day and went to a concert they were playing at. Little did I know that they are know to be one of the loudest bnds on the stage today. I could not even enjoy the show cause I could not hear it. All I could hear was ringing....

And this is when I was in my early 20's and really liked it cranked up!!

Re: Best (discoveries) of 2006

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:15 pm
by mistertim
Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
So are they still trying to be the loudest band ever? I really dug their older CD back in the day and went to a concert they were playing at. Little did I know that they are know to be one of the loudest bnds on the stage today. I could not even enjoy the show cause I could not hear it. All I could hear was ringing....

And this is when I was in my early 20's and really liked it cranked up!!


Yup.. I saw them a couple of weeks ago (actually twice, it was at a festival - they headlined saturday night and played again sunday lunch time as the venue had been packed out the night before) I managed to see both shows, and christ... my ears. However J Mascis does play through the biggest ampliifier rig I have ever seen, so it wasn't like I couldn't have seen it coming. However, it did sound bloody good - loud, but really clear.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:20 pm
by MonkeyM666
mistertim wrote:
MonkeyM666 wrote:All the stuff in Tapes thread of best music of 2006...


mistertim wrote:Ok, I know we've already got a 'best of 2006' thread, but I've been rubbish and not really listened to as much new music as I should have done this year. However, There's been lots of older stuff I've discovered, that would easily be in my top ten had they been new releases. What bands / albums / songs have you got into and loved this year, that aren't new releases?


Point taken, but since Tape's thread is ostensibly about *new* music, I thought it might be both entertaining and educational to find out what people have been listening to this year that isn't, strictly speaking, a new release. Sorry if I didn't make this clear....


Oh it was clear, I have just been really enjoying a whole lot of new tunes that I heard about through that thread. I've been pretty lame myself as I haven't heard any new music before now for about 18 months (I'm not a big radio listener), hence my excitment :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:23 pm
by mistertim
MonkeyM666 wrote:Oh it was clear, I have just been really enjoying a whole lot of new tunes that I heard about through that thread. I've been pretty lame myself as I haven't heard any new music before now for about 18 months (I'm not a big radio listener), hence my excitment :D


Ah, sorry man.... completely misunderstood you! I thought you were pointing out that Tape had already started a thread on the same topic. All becomes clear... :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:26 pm
by MonkeyM666
no, no no... just pointing out that Monkeys don't like the radio ;)

Oh, hang on I've got a call...

Image

Hello....

NO I DON'T WANT TO CHANGE MY LONG DISTANCE CARRIER!

<hangs up>

bloody stupid telemarketing...
(it's been a long day.... :? )

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:30 pm
by godzillasushi
MonkeyM666 wrote:Oh, hang on I've got a call...

Image

Hello....

NO I DON'T WANT TO CHANGE MY LONG DISTANCE CARRIER!

<hangs up>

bloody stupid telemarketing...
(it's been a long day.... :? )


:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:50 pm
by Vegeta
d_the_sandman wrote:I discovered a lot of new stuff this year, thanks for asking. I know this is my first post ever, but I'm just gonna continue like ya'll know me. It's better that way.

In rock I discovered Joshua Homme, and everything that comes with that name. Kyuss, Queens of the Stone Age, The Desert Sessions, etc. It's all amazing. The album that started it all for me was the first self-titled QOTSA album. That album is just so...........RAW. I left it on my shelf over-night, and woke up the next morning to discover it had came to life and murdered all the other CD's in my collection. Blood everywhere. It was kinda strange.


Yeah, Josh Homme, pretty much rules. All his stuff sans Eagles of Death Metal are always in heavy rotation for me.

Lately I have been on a huge Bob Dylan kick. Just cranking the hell out of all his Greatest hits albums (of which there is plethora) and his new album "Modern Times", which is excellent.

Also, I can't stop listening to Coheed and Cambria, just love all there albums!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:36 pm
by Ribbons
Where have you been, mistertim?!!?!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:51 pm
by mistertim
Ribbons wrote:Where have you been, mistertim?!!?!


I know, shameful, isn't it? In my defence, I did know Iggy and the Stooges and Dinosaur Jr before this year, it's just that I never really fully appreciated them....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:53 pm
by unikrunk
Music - The Sword 'Age of Winters'- Should be the soundtrack to Conan the Barbarian.

Tech - ipod nano (I loves it so muches, my precious)

Life - Car / Driving - Got my first car, a Mazda 626, and started driving, at 33. Late bloomer or anxiety laden phobiast? You decide.

Life - Marriage - it’s all that it is cracked p to be. I love my wife, and I love being a husband.

And last, but not least, The Zone.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:53 pm
by Proinsias
DEVO!!!

I had never heard of them until earlier in the year. Fucking Awsome.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:58 pm
by mistertim
Proinsias wrote:DEVO!!!

I had never heard of them until earlier in the year. Fucking Awsome.


Hello! This is! Devo! We would like! To say! Please go! Away!
Great stuff...

They sell replicas of their conical red plastic hats in forbidden planet.... I'm hoping for one from santa!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:00 pm
by tapehead
mistertim wrote:
MonkeyM666 wrote:All the stuff in Tapes thread of best music of 2006...


mistertim wrote:Ok, I know we've already got a 'best of 2006' thread, but I've been rubbish and not really listened to as much new music as I should have done this year. However, There's been lots of older stuff I've discovered, that would easily be in my top ten had they been new releases. What bands / albums / songs have you got into and loved this year, that aren't new releases?


Point taken, but since Tape's thread is ostensibly about *new* music, I thought it might be both entertaining and educational to find out what people have been listening to this year that isn't, strictly speaking, a new release. Sorry if I didn't make this clear....


Ahem, my thread is Best Albums 2006, and I wuz just copying off one I saw last year, any excuse to see zoners talk about music they like is a good one - I've been reading this with interest

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:01 pm
by tapehead
Proinsias wrote:DEVO!!!

I had never heard of them until earlier in the year. Fucking Awsome.


and it was 'Gut Feeling', right?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:03 pm
by Proinsias
Hehehe, i just bought one for my old flatmate, he's crazy for them. You need to hear a 50 yr old heavily accented Swede shouting 'Are we not Men?!'

Tape - Yep, Gut Feeling on the Life Aquatic soundtrack and then the Mark Mothersbaugh score...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:25 pm
by Ribbons
mistertim wrote:
Ribbons wrote:Where have you been, mistertim?!!?!


I know, shameful, isn't it? In my defence, I did know Iggy and the Stooges and Dinosaur Jr before this year, it's just that I never really fully appreciated them....


No I meant, where have you been? We barely see you 'round these parts anymore.

Re: Best (discoveries) of 2006

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:44 pm
by Brocktune
Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
mistertim wrote:Dinosaur Jr
Another candidate for the Iggy Pop "old men who still know how to rock out" award, but bloody hell, that guitar playing! How I didn't get into them sooner is beyond me.


So are they still trying to be the loudest band ever? I really dug their older CD back in the day and went to a concert they were playing at. Little did I know that they are know to be one of the loudest bnds on the stage today. I could not even enjoy the show cause I could not hear it. All I could hear was ringing....

And this is when I was in my early 20's and really liked it cranked up!!


thats ok.

even if you were able to hear them, you would have been bored off your ass. watching dinosaur jr. live is like watching trees grow. boring with a capital O. i know j mascis is like some sort of indie guitar icon or something, but its just too bad some of that talent couldnt have manifested itself in the form of stage presence. you are better off with the records.

now Sebadoh on the other hand...
you wanna talk about stage presence. FUCK! :wink:

Re: Best (discoveries) of 2006

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:36 am
by Keepcoolbutcare
mistertim wrote:Neu!
2006, the year I finally 'got' Krautrock. Listening to Fujiya and Miyagi (easily one of my top new albums of the year) tempted me to go back and listen to some of their more obvious influences, and it's great, timeless stuff.


heh, call me Mr. Me Too, 'cuz I had the same urge to explore just what all the hubbub w/r/t Krautrock was all about.

and what a fucking epiphany those discoveries were. You already mentioned Neu!, but how about Can?
Belatedly, I had discovered that Spoon ripped their name from a Can tune (off Ege Bamyasi) so I went a cyber-searching for their catalogue, and it ain't just Spoon who jacked these foward thinking Germans.

Check Damo Suzuki's (where Moody Suzuki jacked their name) spoke sung lyrical nonsense on such brilliant tracks like the 18+minute "Halleluwah" and you can hear just what Sean Ryder was acid-channeling.

The band themselves lock onto an organic funk groove that few bands have ever so much as sniffed. Amazing band, I prefer them to Neu!, but they both got tons of belated listens this year.

mistertim wrote:So, which older musical gems did you discover / revisit this year?


After being blown away by Liars Drum's Not Dead, and catching whispers that they were channeling the avant-garde post-punkers This Heat, I made it my mission to track down(steal) everything I could from these cats. Plus, Papa Murphy gave them the first name-check on "Losing My Edge", so I kinda figured it would be something I could at least dance (i.e. clean apartment) to.

At first, I turned up (Dick)butkus, but then, serendipity stepped the fuck up, as 2k6 saw the release their full discography, all in one box set.

I dunno if I can just outright recommend it, as the music itself is quite challenging to get a grasp of, but when they actually cut out all the wankery, goddamn they lock onto a discordant sound that few art-fucks have ever matched.

For the neophytes, check out the smoking hot riot of "Health and Efficiency", the double drum sturm und drang tribal drumming pryotechnics of "Horizontal Hold"*(speaking of serendipity, it's the leadoff sample on Buck 65's quality back-to-the-bedroom mix-cd Strong Arm), the blisteringly qweird smack you upside the dome melodies of "Rimp Romp Ramp", the 20minute andrenalchrome endurance test that is the cacophony of "Repeat" (seriously, these guys give noted avant-jazz master Ornette Coleman a run for the demented rhythm crown).

Not all of their tracks are that rockin', there are many a snore-inducing languid lazy beat drifting up through the scuzz tracks that (singles guy that I am) can frankly do without, the ratio of dreck to epiphany runs about 3:1, but the tracks resonate with me are some of the most unique, powerful music I've ever come across.

I'll be back to post some more stuff later, great thread idea, btw.

*best version is the 6:55 proper album version, the others just don't measure up.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:56 am
by mistertim
Ribbons wrote:No I meant, where have you been? We barely see you 'round these parts anymore.



Aah, ok! yeah, sorry, I've been lurking for quite a while... was trying to cut down on my internet banter, but couldn't quite seem to kick the habit! anyway, good to be back....