Metallica (Now w/ DEATH MAGNETIC!)

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Metallica (Now w/ DEATH MAGNETIC!)

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:55 pm

If you haven't heard, Metallica is currently working on their ninth studio album. They have "parted ways" with long-time producer Bob Rock, and the current album is being produced by Rick Rubin (who has helped with some awesome album as of late, ranging from the Chili Peppers to System of a Down).

If you saw SOME KIND OF MONSTER, you know the troubles that the band went through while making the St. Anger album, including James' alcohol addiction/rehab and finding a new bassist to replace Jason Newstead.

Long story short, the album had promise, but seemed underproduced and shoddy. Many of the songs seemed to be on the right track, but just lacked polish, and the infamous "tin can" sound of the snare was atrocious.

The new album seems like it may return Metallica to it's roots. Rob Trujillo's bass seems the best since Cliff Burton, and the songs that have been leaked so far seem to harken back to inspirations such as The Misfits. It certainly has a "Kill 'em All" feel with the lyrics of the later albums. And, solos have returned!!!

Check them out, and remember: these are live perfomances (so it doesn't have a studio-type mastering) of songs without finalized lyrics, arrangements, or even titles.

New song 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieHXwXhOZCQ

New song 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGcGU3Euk8c

Not bad. Some of my faith has actually been restored, and I'm actually anticipating the next album. Could the Masters of Metal be back?

Waits for someone to come in and bash Metallica, say how bad they suck, and how they haven't been the same since Puppets.
Last edited by Nachokoolaid on Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Fawst on Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:58 pm

St. Anger was a good song. Horrible album, but that at least wasn't bad.

This could be good.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lurker Johnson on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:01 pm

Like Sampson, Metallica lost all of it's strength when their rock locks were shorn.

Here's hoping it rocks for all of you Metallica faithful out there.
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Dark Knight on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:03 pm

Hope there's another documentary to go along with the album. Some kind of monster = genius stuff
El Wray will find the missing reel, just watch...
Dark Knight
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Re: Metallica-- Studio Album # 9

Postby Brocktune on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:09 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:The new album seems like it may return Metallica to it's roots.

hahahahaha

the battle cry of the disenfranchised metallica fan.

the worst part is how pathetically the band themselves seem to indulge this notion.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:12 pm

I won't say they haven't been the same since Puppets... but I will say that they took a turn for the worse with the Black Album.
When the new one comes out, I'll download a torrent of it.... it'll be my wink & a kiss to Lars.
NAPSTER BAAAADDDDD!!!!!!

I won't really download it. I don't even want it. I'm more of a Corey Hart fan, myself.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Vegeta on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:15 pm

Yeah, they've pretty much blown goats for the last 15 years. They would have to really "wow" me to get me to spend a nickel on one of their albums now.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Lurker Johnson on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:17 pm

Fievel wrote:I won't really download it. I don't even want it. I'm more of a Corey Hart fan, myself.

Don't mess around with the guy in shades, ohh no!

Damn straight, Fievel. Rock on, lil' buddy. :)
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby unikrunk on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:18 pm

They would have to build a time machine, put me in it, and send me back to the release of Ride the Lighting, and I would still think they were kind of pussies.

Motorhead and Sabbath would have sodomized that gaggle of idiots.

Oh, sorry.

YAY METALLICA!
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:29 pm

So did anyone actually listen to the songs? Or is this more general hate?
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby unikrunk on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:29 pm

for me, general hate.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:31 pm

I'll give anything Rick Rubin produces a shot. Even Metallica. That guy for me can do no wrong.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:34 pm

Brocktune wrote:
Nachokoolaid wrote:The new album seems like it may return Metallica to it's roots.

hahahahaha

the battle cry of the disenfranchised metallica fan.

the worst part is how pathetically the band themselves seem to indulge this notion.

The two songs they've been demoing so far sound more like Kill 'em All than any other album they've put out, even RTL and MOP. It has a cool speed/thrash/punk thing going that I'm sort of digging.

Some really nice riffs too, which are nice after their relative absence in St. Anger. Again, it's good to see Kirk soloing again too.

And Lars actually has some nice double bass going most of the time.

Listen to about the 2:40 mark in song two. That's nice.

Again, overall I'm impressed. And I almost feel as if I have to defend them, because judging from what I've heard, I'm anticipating this album more than any other Metallica album (granted, I discovered their early albums after their release).
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby unikrunk on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:38 pm

okay, now I have to give it a listen, good work Nacho.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:43 pm

unikrunk wrote:okay, now I have to give it a listen, good work Nacho.

Seriously, let me know what you think. I'm not the biggest Metallica fan ever, but this stuff is honestly getting me excited.

After James finds the lyrics for the "whoas" and "yeahs" which he always uses as fillers, I think these songs have real potential.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Fawst on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:51 pm

These better still be online by the time I get home from work in 2 hours.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:54 pm

Fawst wrote:These better still be online by the time I get home from work in 2 hours.

You shouldn't have to worry about that. They've been out for awhile now.

Also, rumor has it that this will hit stores sometime around the summer.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Fievel on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:56 pm

Listened to both.

It seems to me that with And Justice For All, they reached a crossroads - to go in their own direction or go towards the mainsteam, and they chose mainstream. They changed their sound after that point and became more accessible. They were still hard rock, but a LOT lighter, a LOT more polished, and a LOT slower. They went into that mid-tempo funk that grunge would popularize for a while.
Now a lot of bands (mainstream and underground) are playing fast tempos again. Really fast. If these two songs would have followed And Justice For All, that would have been another step on their own path and away from mainstream music. Now (today) it's just another step in the mainstream, trying to keep up with the kids.

Hopefully the band has a metronome in the studio. They couldn't hold a steady tempo in either song to save their lives.

Lars is still one of the worst drummers who gets way more credit than he desrves. But, he's playing to thousands, so I guess I'll shut up on that.

Hopefully for the diehard fans, this new album will be everything they've been waiting for.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:04 pm

Funny that you say it, because I think that Load had some of the most musically complex stuff that Metallica has put out. I'm not sure I'd call it mainstream. I'm mainly talking about stuff like "Bleeding Me." It's probably my third favorite Metallica song, after Creeping Death and Enter Sandman, although Fade to Black Master of Puppets are up there.

I always saw it as a sort of ballsy thing to try to attempt something musically that supported what they turning into as a band, but what would at the same time alienate a lot of their fanbase. I never really saw the mainstream aspect.

Still not sure if I agree with that (maybe because I'm one of those that liek the later album too), but I see your point.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Fievel on Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:10 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:Seriously, let me know what you think. I'm not the biggest Metallica fan ever,

It's okay... you can come out of that closet now. :D
I was really into them back in 88-91. When the Black Album came out, my interest just drained and I moved on to other bands/genres. It should be interesting to hear studio versions of these (And the rest of it too), as that sound/style could bring back older fans that lost faith. But not me.
Corey Hart for life! Never Surrender!!!!!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Vegeta on Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:11 pm

I can't listen to it till I get home, hust hoping James still isn't finishing almost every word with an "a" (example: "It ain't my bitch-a")
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Fievel on Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:12 pm

Yeah... there was an obvious lack of James Growls.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:15 pm

Vegeta wrote:I can't listen to it till I get home, hust hoping James still isn't finishing almost every word with an "a" (example: "It ain't my bitch-a")

Well, it's weird because on one of the vids, he even says there's no definate lyrics yet. He's playing around with it, so he can't "fuck it up" yet. So it will be interesting to see what comes out of the studio.

Supposedly there are about 25 songs they're working on, and the best 12-14 are going on the album. I'd love to hear a bass solo a la "Pulling Teeth" to show us what Rob is really capable of.

I'm pretty sure these two released songs will show up in some form or another. I'm really digging the theme of song two (which has been dubbed "Vulturous" or "Vulturus") and how it talks about picking the bones clean, etc. I think there's some cool potential there.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:19 pm

Fievel wrote:Yeah... there was an obvious lack of James Growls.

You know he blew out his voice a few years ago at a live show, right? He's been working to get it back.

He's been sounding fairly solid lately--much better than the early albums, no where near AJFA and Black.

I guess it's promising that he does sound better in those two live links than he did on the entire last album. I guess I'm excited to see what comes out of the studio, because they can really master and tweak the sound and the band has already said they won't be going for the "garage" sound they were aiming for (mistakingly, in my opinion) in the last album.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby ONeillSG1 on Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:07 pm

I miss the old Metallica. I have all the albums in one form or another and I think this is a step in the right direction.

But, James seriously needs to either retool the voice or give the reigns to someone else. His voice left us somewhere in 2000.

Is Dio available?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby buster00 on Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:36 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:
Is Dio available?

Maybe after he gets off the road with his old Black Sabbath mates...with a capital OLD Black Sabbath mates.

I can't even look at Metallica anymore without thinking of Dethklok.

DETHKLOK DETHKLOK DETHKLOK!!

Still, the Rick Rubin connection does intrigue me. I'll give it a listen and come back.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:07 pm

buster00 wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:
Is Dio available?

Maybe after he gets off the road with his old Black Sabbath mates...with a capital OLD Black Sabbath mates.

I can't even look at Metallica anymore without thinking of Dethklok.

DETHKLOK DETHKLOK DETHKLOK!!

Still, the Rick Rubin connection does intrigue me. I'll give it a listen and come back.

So what did you think?
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby buster00 on Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:14 pm

Not bad. I think I like the second one better.

Both songs may sound a lot different after Rubin's in-studio tweaking, but I thought it was pretty rockin'.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:41 am

buster00 wrote:Not bad. I think I like the second one better.

Both songs may sound a lot different after Rubin's in-studio tweaking, but I thought it was pretty rockin'.

Yeah, I'm liking the second one too. I really like that middle section where it gets really chunky and they're saying "Vulturus" or whatever.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:33 pm

Anyone read Danish? I'm just curious as to what the hell this says.

http://www.metallica.com/news/danish_04apr0807.htm

Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby WinslowLeach on Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:05 pm

FI-FI DONG!!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Wed May 30, 2007 9:43 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:But, James seriously needs to either retool the voice or give the reigns to someone else. His voice left us somewhere in 2000.

Actually, it was 1999 after S & M with the San Francisco Symphony. I never thought his voice was really that great, it was the entire band that truly aided his singing.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat May 17, 2008 3:23 pm

Holy Shit. I'm trying not to get too excited. It sounds like James's voice is back, and some of those riffs are fucking killer. Man o man o man. Ok, I'm fucking giddy.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The greatest band returns to form!!!!

http://www.missionmetallica.com/

The album is supposed to drop in September, and I am now officially excited for it.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Bean on Sat May 17, 2008 4:11 pm

Metallica killed Bonnaroo. I hate them for that and will never forgive them for it! They haven't been good since the 90s, and even that is a stretch... they're a mediocre band.

/rant
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon May 19, 2008 12:26 am

How did they kill Bonaroo?
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon May 19, 2008 12:53 am

I gotta disagree with the first post in the thread.

If anything, St. Anger was overproduced & too polished.
To the extent that it sounded much like all the other shit coming out around that time.

I know a few people who thought they put the album out as a joke, to parody the other bands who released stuff like it.
But obviously that wasn't the case.

This MissionMetallica thing seems like an apology to the fans, better late than never i guess.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby getlovefisted on Mon May 19, 2008 6:55 am

The links are taken down...

I might be one of the few fans that admits to liking load and reload, but it may be because I view them as albums from a different band, not the band that released Master of Puppets.
"I learned that from Mick from the Stones. It might be why he cannot be killed by conventional weapons."
getlovefisted
GLIB

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon May 19, 2008 8:24 am

getlovefisted wrote:The links are taken down...

I might be one of the few fans that admits to liking load and reload, but it may be because I view them as albums from a different band, not the band that released Master of Puppets.

The only link you need is the mission metallica one from a few posts up. You can also find them all over youtube if you search for metallica. It's not much, but what little is there sounds awesome.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:41 pm

Some early reviews of 6 of the 10 tracks on the new album (although unfinished).

http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=600942

Also, http://www.metallica.com/ has some images the last few days, and I have to assume that they're bit by bit revealing the album title or art.

And at the bottom of this page are four lips of Metallica working on the album in the studio.

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/article/?id=48459
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Re: Metallica-- (Now w/ DEATH MAGNETIC)

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:16 am

If you've been following along, the Metallica site revealed the title of the new album, DEATH MAGNETIC. Very "80s." Me likey.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/06/16/metallica-title-new-album-death-magnetic/
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:29 pm

Ok, I realize that this is turning into my own personal wank fest, but I really like Metallica, and it looks like people are at least viewing this thread, even if they're not posting.

Anyway, here's the titles of the tracks for the new album. I love how most of these titles seem to be pulled straight from the 80s. And of course, I'm excited to see what they do with Unforgiven III. I like both of the other entries with that title.

Again, I have a very good feeling about this album.

Full track list:

That Was Just Your Life
The End Of The Line
Broken, Beat & Scarred
The Day That Never Comes
All Nightmare Long
Cyanide
The Unforgiven III
The Judas Kiss
Suicide & Redemption
My Apocalypse

and if you didn't know, head on over to missionmetallica.com. There's still new videos each day of them working on the album.

So, what does everyone else think?
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Droncz92 on Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:30 am

Last night at the Ozzfest they played new song Cyanaide, it rocked hard. You can youtube it, granted its some crappy quality but you get the jist of it.
Droncz92
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:55 pm

Here's Metallica playing their new song at Ozzfest.(as mentioned before).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOVX6nMhf9A

Here's a shorter clip, but better quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPOgLxW-ThU&feature=related

I'm now officially excited about the new album. (As if I wasn't excited enough!)

I almost went to this show, but work prevented it. Looks like they rocked the house.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:40 am

Metallica released the first single. It's on iTunes. It's called "The Day That Never Comes." It's the fourth track on the album, and like all the fourth tracks on their albums, it's more melodic. (i.e. Fade to Black, Sanitarium, One, Unforgiven, etc.)

I like it, it gives me a Fade to Black feel, and that's a good thing. And lyrically, this is the best Metallica has been in a long time. And a great solo/jam to end the song. Great stuff. I can't stop listening to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UNfNpjWz-Y

Born to push you around
You better just stay down
You pull away
He hits the flesh
You hit the ground
Mouths so full of lies
Tend to black your eyes
Just keep them closed
Keep praying
Just keep waiting

Waiting for the one
The day that never comes
When you stand up and feel the warmth
but the sunshine never comes
No the sunshine never comes

Push you cross that line
Just stay down this time
Hide in yourself
Crawl in yourself
You'll have your time
God I'll make them pay
Take it back one day
I'll end this day
I'll splatter color on this gray

Waiting for the one
The day that never comes
When you stand up and feel the warmth
but the sunshine never comes
No the sunshine never comes

Love is a four letter word
And never spoken here
Love is a four letter word
Here in this prison
I suffer this no longer
I put it into
This I swear!
This I swear!
The sun will shine
This I swear!
This I swear!
This I swear!

EDIT:
I just noticed that Metallica.com has 12 second clips of the first 6 tracks up. Good stuff. Looks like there's a new clip each day.

http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=601104
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Raziel on Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:16 pm

UK+Ireland and anyone else with BBC, they're on The Culture Show tonight (Sun 31 Aug, 11PM).
Raziel
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Morzongo on Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:41 pm

I've been waiting this new album for years. I didn't like the last one. It was to monotone and fast for me. It was like Kill Em All, and although it's one of the favorites of Metallica's fans, it's not an album I like.

When is going to be released?
Cinemavip - The community for movie proffessionals and amateurs.
Morzongo
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:54 am

Sept. 12 which is a Friday.

I just heard "My Apocalypse." It certainly reminded me of something like "Damage, Inc." Speed-thrash stuff that we haven't heard from Metallica in ages. I've like all three songs so far, but my fave is still "The Day That Never Comes."

Good stuff.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:23 am

Album leak welcomed by Metallica

Hey Lars, how's that big bowl of crow taste?
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:43 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Album leak welcomed by Metallica

Hey Lars, how's that big bowl of crow taste?

Right on, Tyrone.

Napster Baaaad! - Man, it's been years since I watched that. Good times.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:00 am

Anyone actually listen to the album?

HOLY SHIT!

Calling it right now. Death Magnetic = rock album of the year and it will contend for album of the year.

I'm having a hard time choosing which Metallica album I like best. This is that good. On days, it's Master of Puppets. Other days it's And Justice for All. Some, it's Ride the Lightning. Others is the black album or Kil 'em All. Death Magnetic is making a case to be included as well. Damn, it's good.

I can see a future Metallica live show playing at least 8/10 of these tracks. Fans are going to demand these. They fucking rock. And you get the feeling that some of them are going to absolutely rock live.

It puts its foot on your throat and doesn't let up.

That was Just Your Life:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55hbWn9huuU
The End of the Line:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvqLVSZBD-w
Broken, Beat and Scarred:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5pGiZ1xGH0
The Day that Never Comes: (video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlahvvymkxc
All Nightmare Long:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOx1z1OFVfo
Cyanide:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP06rsXF72I
The Unforgiven III:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax1RBYzjOaI
The Judas Kiss:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9eZA7lTDrw
Suicide and Redemption:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMzeHAiteMU
My Apocalypse:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o-k_OONt0w

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Next

Return to Music