2007 Music Journo-Blag! (now/w top-10's&25's&50's!)

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby Seppuku on Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:44 pm

:D


Wow! You really are a finger and a tongue man, Brock. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly as well.

Brocktune wrote:yes.
Mutantes is their second album, and yes it is good. it does feel a little derivative in places though. and if i didnt know any better, at times it seems like Os Mutantes were the only people in brazil who had heard the beatles, and were hoping to lift a riff or two before it caught on with the rest of the folks, you know? but i think those first two albums are the only ones with the female. I think her name is rita. after those two, she left, and i think the band took on a more traditional (for lack of a better term) "prog rock" sound. you know they are actually playing here in a month or two. i hope i have some cash then, i'd like to see them. but overall, "Mutantes" is a fantastic slice of psychede... er.... tropicalia.


The original sounded pretty derivative in a way too, but it's almost as if they were forced into filling in the gaps in their psychedelic record collection (which was no fault of their own, just a matter of geography), and came up with something completely their own in the process. Don't, whatever you do, tell me what the hell they're singing either! It'll probably be some crap about dandelions, that'll completely distract me from the rest of the record. :wink:

Brocktune wrote:honestly, i wasn't too into it. i measn, its ok, but i wouldnt really listen to it too often. it is to rooted in music that i hated back in the 80's.. i had heard one track of his previously that i loved. i forget what it was called, but b-chan played it in the first hour of her 12/4/05 Nippon Music Champ broadcast, if that does anything for you. but overall, i would only really listen to neo fascio if i was scanning it for songs to put in my retro 80's flick soundtrack, you know? a lot of cheesy John Carpenter synths, and big contemporary adult listening from the mid 1980's drum tracks.


Sounds like I might have had a case of listening to a record drunk off my skull, and spending the next two years imagining how good it was. I still might give it a listen, but at least I'll be prepared now!

Brocktune wrote:indeed i have. i really dig Burning Spear. its probably my fave out of all of your recs. i do try to get to everyones recs sooner or later, it just takes some time. right now, im seriously overdue in telling KC exactly what i think of his tastes. then its on to St. A. i dont know if i will ever get to that fountains of wayne record at this rate. and as far as SFG goes, well, i have no idea where to begin, so im picking those at random.


And you know what, just one day after I made that highly-successful reggae thread, I picked up Handsworth Revolution, and adored it. I don't know why, but I always thought of Steel Pulse, and British reggae in general, as being kind of like a synthy, Omary, Aswad sort of deal, i.e. utter crap, but Steel Pulse schooled me good and proper. I even played it to a producer friend of mine, who ended up sampling a couple of seconds of it. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing, I haven't heard the track yet, but thanks all the same.


Oh, and good luck with Fountains of Wayne... :shock: Not even Steve-O would subject himself to such pain so flippantly.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Image
User avatar
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION
 
Posts: 7872
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:52 am
Location: Limeyland

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:29 pm

Brocktune wrote: and as far as SFG goes, well, i have no idea where to begin, so im picking those at random.


I pick at random too =p.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:49 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:I pick at random too =p.


update your journal, dammit!

I think I'm the only one who still is...

so very, very lonely.

:cry:
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:24 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:I pick at random too =p.


update your journal, dammit!

I think I'm the only one who still is...

so very, very lonely.

:cry:


Hows that :wink:
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby doglips on Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:40 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:I pick at random too =p.


update your journal, dammit!

I think I'm the only one who still is...

so very, very lonely.

:cry:


I update mine weekly, you just never look. :cry:
User avatar
doglips
MOD FAIRY
 
Posts: 6288
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:08 am

Postby doglips on Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:44 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
doglips wrote:SFG! What's the New Young Pony Club LP like? It was supposed to come out here monday, but did not appear......


It's pretty sweet electro-disco goodness.


That is some great news, I thought it might just be a 'singles' record, but I read some positive reviews last week, glad to get the SFG thumbs up too. It comes out here next Monday, so I get that and Interpol on the same day - sweet!
User avatar
doglips
MOD FAIRY
 
Posts: 6288
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:08 am

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:05 am

doglips wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
doglips wrote:SFG! What's the New Young Pony Club LP like? It was supposed to come out here monday, but did not appear......


It's pretty sweet electro-disco goodness.


That is some great news, I thought it might just be a 'singles' record, but I read some positive reviews last week, glad to get the SFG thumbs up too. It comes out here next Monday, so I get that and Interpol on the same day - sweet!


Ive heard good word on that Interpol. Havent listened for myself yet though.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:51 pm

I just counted how many albums Ive listened to from 2007 so far and its 358.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby St. Alphonzo on Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:01 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:I just counted how many albums Ive listened to from 2007 so far and its 358.


Woah. Do you ever listen to one multiple times? I'm a huge music fan, but I can only handle a couple of new releases a week... I need to to immurse myself in a new album.

Damn stereo, that's like two new albums per day... with no days off!

EDIT: I assume you are talking about new albums, right?
ImageImage
User avatar
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint
 
Posts: 2060
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:20 pm
Location: Stumptown

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:13 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:I just counted how many albums Ive listened to from 2007 so far and its 358.


Woah. Do you ever listen to one multiple times? I'm a huge music fan, but I can only handle a couple of new releases a week... I need to to immurse myself in a new album.

Damn stereo, that's like two new albums per day... with no days off!

EDIT: I assume you are talking about new albums, right?


Yeah all 2007. I listen to over 90% more than once. I try to go through all of it everyonce in awhile see if anything has slipped through the cracks that I really like, but if im not immediately interested in an album or have a history with the band or past releases than i hardly give them time to grow.

Basically I tend to binge on some stuff for a bit then move on.

Overall Ive been pretty disappointed this year. Lots of solid albums but very few great ones.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby tapehead on Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:22 am

doglips wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
doglips wrote:SFG! What's the New Young Pony Club LP like? It was supposed to come out here monday, but did not appear......


It's pretty sweet electro-disco goodness.


That is some great news, I thought it might just be a 'singles' record, but I read some positive reviews last week, glad to get the SFG thumbs up too. It comes out here next Monday, so I get that and Interpol on the same day - sweet!


It's real good. real, real good, and doesn't rely as much on 'cute' as other elctro disco I could mention *Cough*css*hurmm...
User avatar
tapehead
BALLS!!!
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: OZ

Postby doglips on Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:41 am

It sure is real real good. I can't stop listening to The Get Go - great track. I don't really put NYPC under the new rave banner like the UK press. The album is like some kind of new WAVE museum and whilst some will shout pastiche the band seem to know exactly what they are doing, impressive all round.
User avatar
doglips
MOD FAIRY
 
Posts: 6288
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:08 am

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:31 am

Aw man, NYPC rock hard. I thought the album had been out a while though, such a throwback record but it really works it's not so homogenised as other retro acts, a purer form if you will. Plus it errs far more on the side of dance than rock which is definitely a more contemporary move. Giving it a solid 8 here.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
User avatar
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow
 
Posts: 9155
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:45 am
Location: A Drained Swimming Pool

Postby tapehead on Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:57 am

agreedgious - cowbell cowbell cowbell...
User avatar
tapehead
BALLS!!!
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: OZ

Postby doglips on Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:45 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:The Go! Team - Proof of Youth


SO?!1! I'm jealous.
User avatar
doglips
MOD FAIRY
 
Posts: 6288
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:08 am

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:30 am

doglips wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:The Go! Team - Proof of Youth


SO?!1! I'm jealous.


Basically more of the same. I was hoping for something more considering all the collaborators they had on this one, but for the most part you can't really hear them. Chuck D is the only person that really stands out. Im making it sound bad but it isn't. If you love the first one you'll love this one. It's just I was a victim of my own expectations.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby doglips on Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:02 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
doglips wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:The Go! Team - Proof of Youth


SO?!1! I'm jealous.


Basically more of the same. I was hoping for something more considering all the collaborators they had on this one, but for the most part you can't really hear them. Chuck D is the only person that really stands out. Im making it sound bad but it isn't. If you love the first one you'll love this one. It's just I was a victim of my own expectations.


Oh, I'm probably in for a let down too then....

Word is good on the new M.I.A. I shall have to move my heavy expectation onto that.....
User avatar
doglips
MOD FAIRY
 
Posts: 6288
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:08 am

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:07 am

doglips wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
doglips wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:The Go! Team - Proof of Youth


SO?!1! I'm jealous.


Basically more of the same. I was hoping for something more considering all the collaborators they had on this one, but for the most part you can't really hear them. Chuck D is the only person that really stands out. Im making it sound bad but it isn't. If you love the first one you'll love this one. It's just I was a victim of my own expectations.


Oh, I'm probably in for a let down too then....

Word is good on the new M.I.A. I shall have to move my heavy expectation onto that.....


Some friends have good words to say on the MIA album, but they said it took a few listens.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:50 am

I cannot stop listening to The Stage Names by Okkervil River.

6 spins since Tuesday.

most awesome.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby doglips on Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:54 am

Is it on Emusic? I have some downloads to use up. I'll check.

I can't stop listening to Citrus by Asobi Seksu, a perfect St Etienne / shoegazing hybrid. 'Thusrday' will end up as one of my tracks of '07. Before you ask it does lean towards twee-ness.

EDIT - uploading to ze IPod as I type.
User avatar
doglips
MOD FAIRY
 
Posts: 6288
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:08 am

Postby Brocktune on Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:13 pm

doglips wrote:I can't stop listening to Citrus by Asobi Seksu, a perfect St Etienne / shoegazing hybrid. 'Thusrday' will end up as one of my tracks of '07. Before you ask it does lean towards twee-ness.


i wasn't quite as into it as you. however, i was pleasantly surprised. i was expecting some really cheesy, saccharine jpop. how wrong i was.
Image
User avatar
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6490
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: Pico & Sepulveda

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:37 pm

doglips wrote:Is it on Emusic? I have some downloads to use up. I'll check.

I can't stop listening to Citrus by Asobi Seksu, a perfect St Etienne / shoegazing hybrid. 'Thusrday' will end up as one of my tracks of '07. Before you ask it does lean towards twee-ness.

EDIT - uploading to ze IPod as I type.


Wasnt that Asobi Seksu out last year?
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby doglips on Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:27 pm

Well I got it off Emusic, which said it was released or added this June, but if you say it was last year I'll go with you. Thursday has only just been released as a single over here though.
User avatar
doglips
MOD FAIRY
 
Posts: 6288
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:08 am

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:22 pm

doglips wrote:Well I got it off Emusic, which said it was released or added this June, but if you say it was last year I'll go with you. Thursday has only just been released as a single over here though.


yeah that could be it too.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:34 pm

Updated with Septembers new albums and beginning of Oct.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:46 pm

625 albums for the year of 2007.

I am currently working on my year end list.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:08 pm

Top 50:
Menomena - Friend and Foe
LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?
Marnie Stern - In Advance Of The Broken Arm
Apples In Stereo - New Magnetic Wonder
Jesu - Conqueror
Feist - The Reminder
Battles - Mirrored
Ola Podrida - Ola Podrida
Moonbabies - Moonbabies At The Ballroom
The National - Boxer
Grails - Burning Off Impurities
David Thomas Broughton - It's In There Somewhere...
Mixtapes and Cellmates - Mixtapes and Cellmates
Dinosaur Jr - Beyond
Black Moth Super Rainbow - Dandelion Gum
Amiina - Kurr
Apparat - Walls
Dizzee Rascal - Maths and English
Okkervil River - The Stage Names
Josh Small - Tall
Caribou - Andorra
The Tough Alliance - A New Chance
Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam
Sunset Rubdown - Random Spirit Lover
Jens Lekman - Night Falls Over Kortedala
Akron/Family - Love Is Simple
M.I.A. - Kala
Pinback - Autumn of the Seraphs
Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass
Beirut - the flying club cup
The Dirty Projectors - Rise Above
The Avett Brothers - Emotionalism
Les Savy Fav - Let's Stay Friends
Baroness - Red Album
Jose Gonzalez - In Our Nature
The Shocking Pinks - The Shocking Pinks
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
Muscles - Guns Babes Lemonade
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Yeasayer - all hour cymbols
CunninLynguists - Dirty Acres
Alcest - Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde
Burial - Untrue
Ghostface Killah - The Big Doe Rehab
Black Lips - Good Bad Not Evil
Robert Wyatt - Comicopera
Radical Face - Ghost
Liars - Liars
Basia Bulat - Oh My Darling

Top 25:
LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?
Marnie Stern - In Advance Of The Broken Arm
Battles - Mirrored
Moonbabies - Moonbabies At The Ballroom
David Thomas Broughton - It's In There Somewhere...
Amiina - Kurr
Okkervil River - The Stage Names
Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam
Sunset Rubdown - Random Spirit Lover
Jens Lekman - Night Falls Over Kortedala
Akron/Family - Love Is Simple
M.I.A. - Kala
Pinback - Autumn of the Seraphs
Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass
The Avett Brothers - Emotionalism
Les Savy Fav - Let's Stay Friends
Baroness - Red Album
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
Muscles - Guns Babes Lemonade
Alcest - Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde
Burial - Untrue
Robert Wyatt - Comicopera
Liars - Liars
Basia Bulat - Oh My Darling
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:16 am

Should we start our 2008 list here too?
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:36 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Should we start our 2008 list here too?


nah, someone should start a new thread.

3,2,1 not it!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:40 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Should we start our 2008 list here too?


nah, someone should start a new thread.

3,2,1 not it!


I guess that means me!
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:29 pm

final list - I listened to roughly 75 albums or so, pretty much the same as 2005 and 2006 - that sounds like a decent number, until you realize stereo has a top 50(!) list, and it kinda puts your supposed consensus to shame.

One thing I certainly noticed about my listening habits is my preference for slavish genre re-appropriations (King Khan & The Shrines (garage rawk), Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings (soul/funk), The Budos Band (funk/r 'n b)) and "commercial" forays (certainly the most accessible Liars & White Stripes albums in their respective catalogs) rather than the new electronic glitch-shit (Muscles, Justice, Simian Mobile Disco - no matter how "rah-rah PART-AY!", none of 'em did it for me). Don't know whether that's me showing my age with my firmly ensconced listening habits, but it was certainly cause for much alarm and soul searching on my part. I (eventually) came to the conclusion that it's not me, it's the kids who are wrong...

And I'm not going to ring the death bell for hip-hop of the rap variety just yet, but when my favorite hip-hop album of the year is from a duo that could just as easily fall into arty underground experimental noise (Dalek), well, let's just say it wasn't a good year for commercial hip-hop.

Band - Album - Rating

!!! - Myth Takes - ***1/2

The 1900s - Cold & Kind - **

A Place to Bury Strangers - S/T - **1/2

Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass - ***1/2

Amy Winehouse - Back to Black - **

Antibalas - Security - ***

The Arcade Fire - Neon Bible - ****

Art Brut - It's a Bit Complicated - ***

Battles - Mirrored - ***

Black Lips - Good Bad not Evil - ***

Blitzen Trapper - Wild Mountain Nation - ***1/2

Bloc Party - A Weekend in the City - *

Bonde Do Role - With Lasers - **1/2

Boris with Michio Kurihara - Rainbow - ***1/2

Brother Ali - The Undisputed Truth - ***1/2

The Budos Band - The Budos Band II - ***1/2

Busdriver - RoadKillOvercoat - **1/2

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Some Loud Thunder - **

The Cool Kids - Totally Flossed Out EP - ***1/2

Dalek - Abandoned Language - ****

Dan Deacon - Spiderman of the Rings - ***

Deerhoof - Friend Opportunity - ***1/2

Deerhunter - Cryptograms - ***1/2
Deerhunter - Fluorescent Grey EP - ***

Devin the Dude - Waitin' to Inhale - ***1/2

Devin the Dude Presents the Coughee Brothaz - Waitin' Our Turn - ***

Dizzee Rascal - Maths + English - ***1/2

Dungen - Tio Bitar - ***1/2

El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead - ***

Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone - ***1/2

Feist - The Reminder - ***1/2

The Field - From Here We Are Sublime - **

Ghostface Killah - The Big Doe Rehab - ***1/2

Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova - Once (not quite original sndtk) - ***1/2

Grinderman - Grinderman - ***1/2

Health - HEALTH - ***1/2

Hope For Men - Pissed Jeans - **

Imperial Teen - The Air The TV The Baby and the Band - ***

James Murphy & Pat Mahoney - Fabric Live 36 - ***

Jay-Z - American Gangster - **1/2

Jens Lekman - Night Falls Over Kortedala - **1/2

Justice - Cross - **1/2

King Khan & The Shrines - What Is?!? - ***

LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver - ****1/2

Liars - Liars - ****1/2

Lil Wayne - Da Drought 3 - ***

Los Campesinos! - Sticking Fingers Into Sockets - ****
Los Campesinos! International Tweexcore Underground - **

Low - Drums and Guns - **

Lupe Fiasco - The Cool - **

M.I.A. - Kala - ****

Makes Nice - Candy Wrapper - *

Marnie Stern - In Advance of the Broken Arm - ***

Matt and Kim - S/T - ****

Mavis Staples - We'll Never Turn Back - ***

Maximo Park - Our Earthly Pleasures - *

Menomena - Friend and Foe - ***1/2

Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank - ***

Muscles - Guns Babes Lemonade - **

No Age - Weirdo Rippers - ***

Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? - **1/2

Okkervil River - The Stage Names - *****

Panda Bear - Person Pitch - ***1/2

The Ponys - Turn the Lights Out - **1/2

Prodigy - Return of the Mac - **1/2

Quentin Tarantino's Death Proof - ****1/2

Radiohead - In Rainbows - ***1/2

Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings - 100 Days, 100 Nights - ***1/2

The Shins - Wincing the Night Away - **

Shocking Pinks - Shocking Pinks - ***1/2

Simian Mobile Disco - Attack Decay Sustain Release - **

Spoon - Ga ga ga ga ga - ****

Sunset Rubdown - Random Spirit Lover - ***1/2

Turf Talk - West Coast Vaccine - ***1/2

The Twilight Sad - 14 Autumns and 15 Winters - ***

UGK - Underground Kingz - ***1/2

The White Stripes - Icky Thump - ****

White Williams - Smoke - **1/2

Wu-Tang Clan - 8 Diagrams - ***

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Is Is {EP} - ****

Top 10!

10). Matt & Kim - S/T (yeah, yeah, late 2006, but no one really heard it/reviewed it when it came out, so it stands!)

9). Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga

8). The White Stripes - Icky Thump

7). Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

6). Dalek - Abandoned Language

5). M.I.A. - Kala

4). Quentin Tarantino's Death Proof

3). Liars - Liars

2). LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver

1). Okkervil River - The Stage Names
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby tapehead on Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:02 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:James Murphy & Pat Mahoney - Fabric Live 36 - ***


Been meaning to get this for a while, so your 3* rating has tipped the scales - having a 'IDM' revival of late thanks to my D&B fan buddies, presumably this will fit well into to my current dance-heavy playlists. On that note, I think The Chemical Brothers 'We Are the Night' was criminally overlooked amongst last year's releases*.
(90's extacy abuser threatening to make a nu-rave comeback)
User avatar
tapehead
BALLS!!!
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: OZ

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:23 am

you digging the Italian-Disco revival that's currently in vogue tapes?

p4k's review here.

I cherry picked a couple tracks from it, not too shabby, if you're into the retro-synths, at any rate...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby tapehead on Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:27 am

I actually get exposed to a lot more Drum and Bass to breaks to hip hop - listening to the Fabric mix now, I can see it's heavily skewed to 70's Italian sound.

Do I like it? well, I can dance to it, but I've never been a fan of disco-choir singing, and the tempo becomes monotonous - I'll be happier when soul breaks and the old 'build it up, tear it down' makes a comeback to dj's sets.
User avatar
tapehead
BALLS!!!
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: OZ

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:20 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Top 10!

10). Matt & Kim - S/T (yeah, yeah, late 2006, but no one really heard it/reviewed it when it came out, so it stands!)

9). Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga

8). The White Stripes - Icky Thump

7). Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

6). Dalek - Abandoned Language

5). M.I.A. - Kala

4). Quentin Tarantino's Death Proof

3). Liars - Liars

2). LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver

1). Okkervil River - The Stage Names


Question for Keepcool and all t'other music buffs here: supposing I liked M.I.A.'s new album, what other artists/CDs are out there that I might also enjoy?
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13966
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:47 am

depends a lot on what it is that you like about her music, I reckon.

does it have to be rah-rah revolution, socially conscious sloganeering - or does lyrical content not matter?

is it the polyglot pan-ethnic beats and riddims?

or do you like her creamy luscious skin, eyes like caramel jolly ranchers, her sultry, slinky dance moves fabulous, colorful fashion that hides that sweaty lush...and ..oh, yes, where was I?

part of her appeal is that there isn't anyone really like her - she created, with lots of help, her own little musical niche...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:58 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:does it have to be rah-rah revolution, socially conscious sloganeering - or does lyrical content not matter?

is it the polyglot pan-ethnic beats and riddims?


In general I guess I'm thinking the beats and riddims, although similarities in terms of lyrics or sloganeering might be worth giving a look-see to.

It's kind of hard for me to think of similar artists, and I was going to use last.fm or something, but I know that's not accurate all the time.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13966
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:29 am

well, the mostly Timbaland produced 2002 outing GIRL INTERRUPTED by Ms. Jade pre-dates M.I.A. - Tims was still big-time into his Indian phase, so you've got some of the ethnic flavor. It's more straight up hip-hop than M.I.A. - but try "Get Your Big Head on the Floor" (unless you loathe Missy Elliot, who guests - I was surprised this sitar flavored bouncer wasn't flat out just given to her, as it fits her and Tims m.o. to a T).

Jade is more pure rapper (pretty darn good one to boot), and she's kinda "hard", so expect some expletives, slang and the like.

WAY ahead of it's time - I only came across it while reading reviews of PIRACY FUNDS TERRORISM and, like you, was curious for anything that sounded like M.I.A.

Speaking of the Diplodocus produced PIRACY - his DJ stuff with Hollertronix is pretty impressive, bringing the favela to established dance/hip-hop/soul tracks.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:13 am

I would also like to offer the big up to Hollertronix. There is some serious fun to be had there.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:30 am

Ribbons wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:does it have to be rah-rah revolution, socially conscious sloganeering - or does lyrical content not matter?

is it the polyglot pan-ethnic beats and riddims?


In general I guess I'm thinking the beats and riddims, although similarities in terms of lyrics or sloganeering might be worth giving a look-see to.

It's kind of hard for me to think of similar artists, and I was going to use last.fm or something, but I know that's not accurate all the time.


Ribbons you should check out Mahjongg as well. They are a chicago arty dance rock band that does the tribal thing really well. It isnt as "pop" as MIA but it will get the booty shakin'.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:01 pm

Cool, thanks for the recommendations, guys
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13966
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:27 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:They are a chicago arty dance rock band that does the tribal thing really well. It isnt as "pop" as MIA but it will get the booty shakin'.


or you could just go to the source of pretty much all "tribal arty" music, the late, great Fela Kuti. More jazz/soul/funk infused than M.I.A., and the tracks, they are looooong, but dayum!, could he and his huge crew lock a groove. Plus, his exultations/chants, in broken, pidgin English, are rather similar to M.I.A.'s rhetoric.

intimidating catalog, start with "Zombie" & "Expensive Shit" and see if you dig him.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:32 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:They are a chicago arty dance rock band that does the tribal thing really well. It isnt as "pop" as MIA but it will get the booty shakin'.


or you could just go to the source of pretty much all "tribal arty" music, the late, great Fela Kuti. More jazz/soul/funk infused than M.I.A., and the tracks, they are looooong, but dayum!, could he and his huge crew lock a groove. Plus, his exultations/chants, in broken, pidgin English, are rather similar to M.I.A.'s rhetoric.

intimidating catalog, start with "Zombie" & "Expensive Shit" and see if you dig him.


I forgot about Fela Kuti, but I only have sporadic tracks by him I think anyway. I will have to delve deeper.

Another suggestion Ribbons would be Konono No. 1.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:35 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Another suggestion Ribbons would be Konono No. 1.


Oh man, I'm feeling my n00bish-ness more than ever right now, but is that a song or a person?

EDIT: This guy?
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13966
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:38 pm

Ribbons wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Another suggestion Ribbons would be Konono No. 1.


Oh man, I'm feeling my n00bish-ness more than ever right now, but is that a song or a person?

EDIT: This guy?


Yeah that'd be it. Awesome live show too if you ever get a chance to see them.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:42 pm

MY TOP 10 ALBUMS OF 2007

1. Neon Bible – Arcade Fire
2. Beyond – Dinosaur Jr
3. Hey Venus! – Super Furry Animals
4. New Moon – Elliott Smith
5. In Rainbows - Radiohead
6. Send Away The Tigers – Manic Street Preachers
7. Icky Thump – The White Stripes
8. Because Of The Times – Kings Of Leon
9. Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace – Foo Fighters
10. The Fragile Army – The Polyphonic Spree
11. Challengers – The New Pornographers
12. Memory Almost Full – Paul McCartney
Image
User avatar
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1585
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:35 am

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:43 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:MY TOP 10 ALBUMS OF 2007

1. Neon Bible – Arcade Fire
2. Beyond – Dinosaur Jr
3. Hey Venus! – Super Furry Animals
4. New Moon – Elliott Smith
5. In Rainbows - Radiohead
6. Send Away The Tigers – Manic Street Preachers
7. Icky Thump – The White Stripes
8. Because Of The Times – Kings Of Leon
9. Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace – Foo Fighters
10. The Fragile Army – The Polyphonic Spree
11. Challengers – The New Pornographers
12. Memory Almost Full – Paul McCartney


Good list! Nice to see Dinosaur Jr. so high!
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:50 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:MY TOP 10 ALBUMS OF 2007

1. Neon Bible – Arcade Fire
2. Beyond – Dinosaur Jr
3. Hey Venus! – Super Furry Animals
4. New Moon – Elliott Smith
5. In Rainbows - Radiohead
6. Send Away The Tigers – Manic Street Preachers
7. Icky Thump – The White Stripes
8. Because Of The Times – Kings Of Leon
9. Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace – Foo Fighters
10. The Fragile Army – The Polyphonic Spree
11. Challengers – The New Pornographers
12. Memory Almost Full – Paul McCartney


Good list! Nice to see Dinosaur Jr. so high!


My thanks, sir. And Dinosaur Jr made an album truly worthy of being that high in the list :wink:

EDIT: And Macca made his first good album in 20 years!! I'd even go so far as to say it's his best, most consistent, album since the 70's.
Image
User avatar
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1585
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:35 am

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon May 05, 2008 8:32 pm

one of the problems with list making if you're an uptight wonk for these type of things, like me, is that if you're not a full time critic and thus not being sent promo CD's by the dumptruck full coupled with the the lack $$ to keep buying memory cards to store the teeming ton of music proliferating on the interblag, and, last but certainly not least, obviously, time constraints is that one is bound to miss out on a lot of stuff that might make your pretty well thought out and well researched list obsolete.

'cuz Cafe Tacuba's SI NO and Kevin Drew's SPIRIT IF?

both would've easily cracked my top-10.

I'm not saying this to drum up controversy or anything, but I prefer the mexican radiohead to the real thing.

and Drew's solo album was better than the last full BSS album. Less noisy, less bangers, but still, the return to a lo-fi, not smothering the listener with a full on sonic assault really made a difference.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon May 05, 2008 8:37 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:one of the problems with list making if you're an uptight wonk for these type of things, like me, is that if you're not a full time critic and thus not being sent promo CD's by the dumptruck full coupled with the the lack $$ to keep buying memory cards to store the teeming ton of music proliferating on the interblag, and, last but certainly not least, obviously, time constraints is that one is bound to miss out on a lot of stuff that might make your pretty well thought out and well researched list obsolete.

'cuz Cafe Tacuba's SI NO and Kevin Drew's SPIRIT IF?

both would've easily cracked my top-10.

I'm not saying this to drum up controversy or anything, but I prefer the mexican radiohead to the real thing.

and Drew's solo album was better than the last full BSS album. Less noisy, less bangers, but still, the return to a lo-fi, not smothering the listener with a full on sonic assault really made a difference.


I always felt like Spirit If was Feel Good Lost light.

I too have been finding some 2007 gems since the year ended but alas what can one do ;)
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

PreviousNext

Return to Music

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron