2007 Music Journo-Blag! (now/w top-10's&25's&50's!)

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby doglips on Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:52 pm

I actually acquire all my music legally, via my local emporium, Itunes or E-music. I'm having a thin year on music this year, spent way too much last year - whoops.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby St. Alphonzo on Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:06 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
St. Alphonzo wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:February recs:
Panda Bear

Is this the same sort of feel as the rest of the Animal Collective stuff? I've been considering picking it up on e-music, 'cause of the acclaim I've been hearing... but I'll be damned if I can get into the Animal Collective sound.

Not really like the Animal collective stuff more like experimental Brian Wilson/Beach Boys stuff. The songs are long and can change quite a bit over their runtime.

Got it today, listening to it now... geez, you weren't kidding. Some of this stuff sounds like it was lifted right out of the Pet Sounds sessions. Hypnotic, and amazing use of sonic space (especially on "Take Pills").
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:28 am

St. Alphonzo wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
St. Alphonzo wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:February recs:
Panda Bear

Is this the same sort of feel as the rest of the Animal Collective stuff? I've been considering picking it up on e-music, 'cause of the acclaim I've been hearing... but I'll be damned if I can get into the Animal Collective sound.

Not really like the Animal collective stuff more like experimental Brian Wilson/Beach Boys stuff. The songs are long and can change quite a bit over their runtime.

Got it today, listening to it now... geez, you weren't kidding. Some of this stuff sounds like it was lifted right out of the Pet Sounds sessions. Hypnotic, and amazing use of sonic space (especially on "Take Pills").

Glad you like it.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:48 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Y.A.C.H.T. - I Believe In You. Your Magic Is Real.

ooh, how is that? Beck-lite, or does he create his own little niche sound?

this doesn't really belong here, but I don't feel like making another post.

can't. get. this. out. of. my. head.

c/o of Stereogum, Vampire Weekend, "Oxford Comma"

oh, and if ANYONE can hook a brother up with an illicit mp3 of "Baby, It's You" by Smith (from Grindhouse), I'll be your BEST FRIEND FOR LIFE!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:56 am

That link won't work for me.

As for the YACHT I find a lot of it quite boring but there are some cool songs on there.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:57 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:That link won't work for me.

workin' fine over here.

Hype Machine or Elbo 'em, at least three tracks or so have been blogged about, two of 'em are pretty good.

sounds kinda like mid to late era Talking Heads...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:08 pm

I listened to a coupole songs at hypemachine. You are completely right about the Talking heads thing.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:17 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:Panda Bear - Person Pitch 6.5/10

much like my shorn johnson, that albums a grower.

I kinda blew off "Take Pills" 'cuz the intro is rather tepid, but at about the halfway point, when the chorus kicks in...wow.

Mellow can be breathtaking.

thedoglippedone wrote:Kings of Leon - Because of the Times 5/10

ooh, you were really looking forward to that, no?

what went wrong? I heard it was a bit more "experimental" for them...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:09 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
thedoglippedon e wrote:Panda Bear - Person Pitch 6.5/10

much like my shorn johnson, that albums a grower.

I kinda blew off "Take Pills" 'cuz the intro is rather tepid, but at about the halfway point, when the chorus kicks in...wow.

Mellow can be breathtaking.

thedoglippedone wrote:Kings of Leon - Because of the Times 5/10

ooh, you were really looking forward to that, no?

what went wrong? I heard it was a bit more "experimental" for them...

I've been listening to Panda Bear quite a bit, might have to adjust that score up by .5

Kings of Leon whilst trying to create a bigger (ie - U2, groan) forgot where they came from, no real energy and contrived lyrics. I've only listened to it twice, not bothered to go back to it.

Modest Mouse really is quite excellent.

Still can't stop listening to The Shins, they appear to have recorded the album whist high on essence of Finn and I love me some Crowded House.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon May 14, 2007 8:23 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Dungen - Tio Bitar

oh. snap. Didn't even know it had leaked. Thoughts? I adored his last album.

stereosforgeeks wrote:Bonde Do Role - With Lasers

is that the new one set to drop on Domino? If so, is it originals, or stuff that's on their previous releases? Regardless, sentiments?

stereosforgeeks wrote:Dan Deacon - Spiderman of the Rings

heh, the gf couldn't stand it, and I thought it sounded a tad too tinny with not enough bass on first listen, but it's growing on me, specially the 10+minute freakout that is "Wham City". Heard he's nuts live.

looks like it's just you and I keepin' up with this stereo.

:oops:
Last edited by Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Mon May 14, 2007 8:30 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

heh, the gf couldn't stand it, and I thought it sounded a tad too tinny with not enough bass on first listen, but it's growing on me, specially the 10+minute freakout that is "Wham City". Heard he's nuts live.

I've only heard one track: "The Crystal Cat". It's just a bit too cacophonous. I'm not one to shy away from musical anarchy, but I just can't find much to latch on to there. I'd also agree with KCBC on the tinniness...
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue May 15, 2007 3:36 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Dungen - Tio Bitar

oh. snap. Didn't even know it had leaked. Thoughts? I adored his last album.

stereosforgeeks wrote:Bonde Do Role - With Lasers

is that the new one set to drop on Domino? If so, is it originals, or stuff that's on their previous releases? Regardless, sentimenst?

looks like it's just you and I keepin' up with this stereo.

:oops:

Tio Bitar is a bit more on the psych rock thing than the folk this time around but its a sweet album. Very 70s!

I just got into Bonde Do Role but the album is fun as hell.

The Dan Deacon is tinny but I still like it. I dont mind there not being a THUMP to it because it still delivers the fun. Snake Mistakes is a sweet song.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat May 19, 2007 5:51 pm

Brocktune wrote:MAY
The Boredoms - "Super Ae"

'bout damn time!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Sat May 19, 2007 5:59 pm

i know.

it's real good too.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat May 19, 2007 6:12 pm

Brocktune wrote:it's real good too.

:D

for me, after Pavement kinda changed sounds with the departure of original drummer Gary Young, they were the best band on the planet.

it either bespeaks my varied taste, or an omen of my potentially marijuana fueled schizophrenia, that I went from Pavement to Boredoms as my FBoaT.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Sat May 19, 2007 6:31 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:it either bespeaks my varied taste, or an omen of my potentially marijuana fueled schizophrenia, that I went from Pavement to Boredoms as my FBoaT.

im sure it's a little of column a and a little of column b.

but either way you slice it, variety IS indeed the spice of life. ive got this buddy, and all he fucking listens to is reggae. he has good taste and a lot of rare records, but it is all reggae all the fucking time. BOOOO-RING! i cant handle that shit, and you obviously cant either. i am a man of many moods and colors, and i require a vast library of music to accommodate such personality fluctuations, you know.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon May 21, 2007 9:45 am

Brocktune wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:it either bespeaks my varied taste, or an omen of my potentially marijuana fueled schizophrenia, that I went from Pavement to Boredoms as my FBoaT.

im sure it's a little of column a and a little of column b.

but either way you slice it, variety IS indeed the spice of life. ive got this buddy, and all he fucking listens to is reggae. he has good taste and a lot of rare records, but it is all reggae all the fucking time. BOOOO-RING! i cant handle that shit, and you obviously cant either. i am a man of many moods and colors, and i require a vast library of music to accommodate such personality fluctuations, you know.

Totally aggree with both you guys. Listening habits depend on mood. Angry toss on something agressive. Happy a little indiepop or dance music. Intellectual some classical or instrumental.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Brocktune on Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:45 pm

allright, i know i have been real half assed about this shit. but im going to try and break that streak, by posting my may recommendations. hopefully, i wont be too ALF to continue to do so in the future.

allright, well, i kind of talked about them allready, but my first rec for may would be "Aman Iman" by Tinariwen. so good. really, so very good. i know that when i spoke of these guys in another thread, i mentioned the ignorance that so often goes hand in hand with culture from other countries. i have not been surprised by how frequently that occurs. what i have been surprised by is how many people that i have played Tinariwen's records for, that have reacted overwhelmingly positively. and not all of them were potheads either! imagine that. so yeah, Tinariwen gets my heartiest recommendation. seriously, check this one out, you shant be disappointed.

second, "Chrominance Decoder" by April March. most of you know who she is. at least you should if you have seen Grindhouse. She is the one that sings the Gainsbourg penned "Chick Habit" over the end credits. i loved that song so much, i decided to investigate a little further. holy shit! this chick is like the girl of my fuckin dreams. OMGZ0rZ! she is super cute (like you couldn't tell from her voice) but check this shit out. Assistant to Steve Ditko (yes, THAT steve ditko) principal animator, and writer for Ren & Stimpy (the original John K. years), AND she makes music like this?! Be still my throbbing heart. so yeah, i acquired the full length "Chrominance Decoder", and gave it a spin. The first time, there was only one or two tracks that stood out to me. but obviously, the more i listened to it, the more it grew on me. Now, im close to calling the record a masterpiece. Not quite yet, but this chick has in spades what just about every single female "artist" on Billboard's top 200 doesnt. real talent, and a killer sense of style and fashion. and im not just talking about her wardrobe. this girl is alomst like a one woman Pizzicato Five, only with fewer electronic, and breakbeats. a little less of an emphasis on danceability than pizzicato five, but the two of them sort of go hand in hand. but it doesnt stop there, there is so much going on in there. a little ye-ye, a little Patty Donahue, a little Astrud, and maybe a hint of Air from time to time. fuck i even felt a slight Meat Puppets vibe in a song or two, if you can believe that. there are no drastic genre or style changes on the album, but there are many slight ones. which is MORE of an accomplishment, if you ask me. its totally easy to write a song that is say metal, and then write on that is funk, and then write one that is power pop, with a very clear distinction between the style in every song. but a clever, more subtle blending, and switching of styles displays much more creativity, technical ability, intelligence and panache. thats what this record does. it changes and blends styles without slapping you the fuck in the face with it. man, the way she sings the chorus on "Mignonette" instantly turns me into a melting candle. like to be clad in leather, and dragged about town on a leash by her would be heaven. i dont fall in love with chick singers easily, like a lot of guys do. i may think they are hot, but thats not the same. April March made me absolutely fall in love with her. she has qualities that transcend mere looks, without sacrificing them (like its important anyways). and i dont mean to sidetrack this piece of praise by making it all come down to the fact that in a sick fetishistic way, i wish to be dominated by this girl. i assure you, that the record is so good, and way beyond the endorsement of my overstimulated, and undernourished libido. I know many of my recommendations to people dont really take too well, but im telling you, this chick has got the fucking goods!

3. "The Ditty Bops" by The Ditty Bops
heh, it must be spring. :roll:
so yeah, i was buying tix to go see CSS, when i stumble upon another band that is playing at the same club a month and a half later. two chicks sitting side by side wearing outfits that look like they were from the 1880's or some shit, called The Ditty Bops. hmmm i gotta check this one out. guess what? loved it. ok, it's nothing too groundbreaking. in fact, it's quite the opposite, as these two seem to excel at blending old styles of music. this is basically how it breaks down. the two girls write very intelligent lyrics, and have two very pretty voices, that sound great. but they sound even better when performing sugary sweet harmonies together. the music is sort of a blend of various styles of country, or bluegrass tinged georgia dust bowl in the 1930's sounding stuff.
the record starts:

With just one kiss
you could change the world
might not get much better
but it certainly couldn't hurt

and that sort of feeling really sums up the whole record. this shit aint going to change the world, but for 35 minutes, it's definitely going to be a little better. its just a very enjoyable, well crafted and performed album. and the ladies really eat these girls up too. i have had more inquiries from females here at work while playing this record than ever before. very simple, very american sounding music that i cant imagine anyone disliking. im just bummed, because im going to miss out on their show because im going to be at comic con :sad:. if the record is any indication (which i guarantee you it is), then im sure their live show trumps any record tenfold. these two are one of those bands that i just know that if i like the record, im going to LOVE the live show. maybe give them a try. i dont think you will regret it.

oh yeah, and di i mention that i am totally ion love with these girls too? well i should have, because i am.
Last edited by Brocktune on Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:37 pm

The Ditty Bops rule. "Angel With An Attitude" is an unbelievably fun song.

I've never seen a picture of them... but I imagine they're sexy as hell.

I practice my religion as I'm
Stepping on your toes.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Brocktune on Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:57 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:I've never seen a picture of them... but I imagine they're sexy as hell.

yes, indeed they are.
sexy as hell, only if hell were like at least a million times hotter.

i strongly urge you to view their website. plenty of photos there!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:04 pm

Just took a look. Very hot, in that "smart-girl-with-a-nasty-streak" kinda way. I'm a sucker for that! :wink: 8)

Cool piece of trivia: I read somewhere that they did a cross-country tour traveling exclusively by bike.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Brocktune on Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:22 pm

oh yeah, i forgot i have one more from may. Dejeuner Sur L'Herbe by Les Breastfeeders. now i dont remember how or why the fuck i ended up getting turned onto this one. i dont even fucking speak french :wink:. but the fact of the matter is that i was seriously surprised by how much i enjoyed this record. it's sort of this bastard hybrid of like american "punk" from the 90's, meets like kind of a 60's beat. throw in just a sprinkle of stereolab (the chick in this band reminds me of the chick from stereolab) and you have one hell of a record, that totally fuckin rawks. not in a super heavy or slow way either. anyways, yeah, i really liked this record in may too!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:54 pm

Brocktune wrote:oh yeah, i forgot i have one more from may. Dejeuner Sur L'Herbe by Les Breastfeeders. now i dont remember how or why the fuck i ended up getting turned onto this one. i dont even fucking speak french :wink:. but the fact of the matter is that i was seriously surprised by how much i enjoyed this record. it's sort of this bastard hybrid of like american "punk" from the 90's, meets like kind of a 60's beat. throw in just a sprinkle of stereolab (the chick in this band reminds me of the chick from stereolab) and you have one hell of a record, that totally fuckin rawks. not in a super heavy or slow way either. anyways, yeah, i really liked this record in may too!

Sounds intriguing, I'm in.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Brocktune on Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:10 pm

im very keen to get your take!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:15 pm

I'll go to my local emporium on Monday.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:43 pm

Stereo, can I shout a FIRST on the new Spoon?

or did you manage an early listen last year?
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:57 pm

What, 'Ga ga ga ga ga ' ?

We ALL managed that last year.

So Bonde do Role - any good? Can't decide whether to get it.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Brocktune on Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:10 pm

doglips wrote:So Bonde do Role - any good? Can't decide whether to get it.

its ok.

i mean it's good, but it wears thin kind of quickly. it's great for parties, but in your car, after a few good listens, you will probably be looking to put a different record on.

at least thats my two cents.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:15 pm

Yeah, I kinda got that feeling when I listened to some snippets of each track.

I'll put my two cents towards Les Breastfeeders tomorrow.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Brocktune on Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:19 pm

can't wait.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:18 pm

doglips wrote:What, 'Ga ga ga ga ga ' ?

We ALL managed that last year.

why must you be the screen door on my submarine?
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:15 am

Haha, because my lame jokes aren't good enough to be classed as torpedoes?

The new Matthew Dear is excellent, reminds me of Feng Shui by Q-burns abstract message. A real hotchpotch of styles, but the laid back core remains the same throughout.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby talkbacker with no name on Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:27 pm

Thanks Doglips. Sorry i'm not used to where to post things and in what area is right just yet.

Just going to throw a few things out there and see what happens :)

The new Shellac album is great.

Battles are a new band I'm getting into (drummer from Helmet and some dudes from Don caballero on Warp records),

Lightning Bolt are awesome. Mainly still listening to The Jesus Lizard (my favourite band of all time), Nomeansno, fugazi etc.

By reading these posts hopefully i can be turned on to some great new stuff.
"You're crazy to know who I am, aren't you? All right! I'll show you!"
talkbacker with no name
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby doglips on Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:39 pm

Yeah, you'll find some love for Battles round here, Mirrored is an excellent record. We are awaiting the lord and master of the music forum ( Keepcoolbutcare ) to award it stars out of five on his blag - hint hint.

So you like your punk and math rock, anything else? ( btw you might find this thread pretty cool )
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby talkbacker with no name on Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:54 pm

Yeah a big fan of Muddy waters, Jon Lee Hooker, Howling wolf, Captain Beefheart, Tom Waits, The Who, Ramones, Hendrix, Dylan, some Stones stuff, Queen.

Could go on forever. My favourtie era was the post rock stuff of the late 80's/90's - Drive Like Jehu, Girls against Boys, pixies, Gang of Four, Nirvana, Rage against the machine, Minutemen, Sonic Youth, PJ Harvey, The Birthday Party, Unsane, Helmet, Nomeansno, Fugazi, Jon Spencer, Smashing Pumpkins (yeah you are right, the new single is awesome! good to have them back).

There isn't that many new rock bands that interest me much and I do try and get into them. There is quite a good underground scene in the UK at the moment. I can recommend - Monkey Boy. Two bassplayers, singing drummer (nothing else). Punk rock blues type thing.

ah yeah. that link is right up my street! thanks for that!
Last edited by talkbacker with no name on Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
talkbacker with no name
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:04 pm

doglips wrote:Yeah, you'll find some love for Battles round here, Mirrored is an excellent record. We are awaiting the lord and master of the music forum ( Keepcoolbutcare ) to award it stars out of five on his blag - hint hint.

i've had it on as background music and have given it one solid listen, and based on that, 3, maybe 3 and a half out of five. If I'd of caught 'em live, or if I was a musician into loopy time signatures and changes, I'd 'prolly rate it higher, but, I dunno, I think that album is egregiously overrated.

but I've never dug "math" rock.

don't get me wrong, "Atlas" and "Tij" are both great, but they never take off into the stratosphere like they could/should. Could be a sure sign of me becoming old and out of touch with the yoof tho'...not that I touch the youth, 'cuz that's icky.

doglips wrote:So you like your punk and math rock, anything else? ( btw you might find this thread pretty cool )

one of the best threads we have in the entire Zone.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby talkbacker with no name on Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:08 pm

I found the Battles album took a while to grow on me. I loved the EP's but found the vocals on the LP very off putting at first (still not sure about them). They are definitely an acquired taste.

Never really got into the math rock thing in a big way. It's too much like Heavy metal homework on the brain :)
talkbacker with no name
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:16 pm

Check out Lynx one of the guys from that is in Battles as well.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby talkbacker with no name on Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:22 pm

Will do, Stereoforgeeks. Thanks! More got into battles due to John Stanier playing the drums. I'll listen to anything he is playing on, he's unbelievable! Hell, I even got the overrated Mike patton's 'Tomahawk' band just to hear John Stanier and Duane (jesus lizard) Denison's work.
talkbacker with no name
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:25 pm

talkbacker with no name wrote:Will do, Stereoforgeeks. Thanks! More got into battles due to John Stanier playing the drums. I'll listen to anything he is playing on, he's unbelievable! Hell, I even got the overrated Mike patton's 'Tomahawk' band just to hear John Stanier and Duane (jesus lizard) Denison's work.

Yeah they are even better live than on the record too! One of the best shows Ive ever seen.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby doglips on Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:33 am

SFG! What's the New Young Pony Club LP like? It was supposed to come out here monday, but did not appear......
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Brocktune on Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:59 pm

talkbacker with no name wrote:Hell, I even got the overrated Mike patton's 'Tomahawk' band just to hear John Stanier and Duane (jesus lizard) Denison's work.

you know, at first i thought i loved you.
now i just totally hate you.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:05 pm

What's "math rock"?

Sounds like something I might be interested in!
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:22 pm

doglips wrote:SFG! What's the New Young Pony Club LP like? It was supposed to come out here monday, but did not appear......

It's pretty sweet electro-disco goodness. To compare it to other recent dance albums, Id say I like it better than YACHTs new album but less than justices.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Brocktune on Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:25 pm

minstrel wrote:What's "math rock"?

its a style of music that involves playing patterns in complex and polyrhythmic time signatures. not completely unlike the minimalism of guys like glass, but the patterns arent usually as simple. so i suppose it isnt really minimalism at all then is it? if you are curious, check out Don Caballero. they are essentially the Scott Joplins of math rock.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:31 pm

Brocktune wrote:
minstrel wrote:What's "math rock"?

its a style of music that involves playing patterns in complex and polyrhythmic time signatures. not completely unlike the minimalism of guys like glass, but the patterns arent usually as simple. so i suppose it isnt really minimalism at all then is it? if you are curious, check out Don Caballero. they are essentially the Scott Joplins of math rock.

What Burns Never Returns and American Don are my favorite Don Cab records.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:35 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:What Burns Never Returns

lies!

ask anyone with a nasty S.T.D. about that...i.e. your momma!

OOH, S1K BRN!

:wink:
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:58 pm

So now that Brock is Back, I wonder if you'll answer a couple of questions:

1) I've got Oz Mutantes' debut (Oz Mutantes), which I fucking love- but I've got no idea where to go from there, seeing as how we're talking about a band who are so lost in the fringes of time, that their parents probably haven't even heard of them. Is Mutantes another album of theirs, and if so is it any good? Muchas gracias.

&

2) Neo Fascio by Kyosuke Himuro, you like? I heard Flowers for Algernon at a friend's house a year or two ago, and always meant to check him out, but totally forgot about his existence until I saw his name on your list.

Also, I'm glad to see you've systematically scouted down my three favourite reggae albums: Marcus Garvey/Garvey's Ghost, Return of the Super Ape and Perry's deepest, most irie groove, Heart of the Congos.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Brocktune on Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:13 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:So now that Brock is Back, I wonder if you'll answer a couple of questions:

soitinly

seppukudkurosawa wrote:1) I've got Oz Mutantes' debut (Oz Mutantes), which I fucking love- but I've got no idea where to go from there, seeing as how we're talking about a band who are so lost in the fringes of time, that their parents probably haven't even heard of them. Is Mutantes another album of theirs, and if so is it any good? Muchas gracias.

yes.
Mutantes is their second album, and yes it is good. it does feel a little derivative in places though. and if i didnt know any better, at times it seems like Os Mutantes were the only people in brazil who had heard the beatles, and were hoping to lift a riff or two before it caught on with the rest of the folks, you know? but i think those first two albums are the only ones with the female. I think her name is rita. after those two, she left, and i think the band took on a more traditional (for lack of a better term) "prog rock" sound. you know they are actually playing here in a month or two. i hope i have some cash then, i'd like to see them. but overall, "Mutantes" is a fantastic slice of psychede... er.... tropicalia.

seppukudkurosawa wrote:&

2) Neo Fascio by Kyosuke Himuro, you like? I heard Flowers for Algernon at a friend's house a year or two ago, and always meant to check him out, but totally forgot about his existence until I saw his name on your list.

honestly, i wasn't too into it. i measn, its ok, but i wouldnt really listen to it too often. it is to rooted in music that i hated back in the 80's.. i had heard one track of his previously that i loved. i forget what it was called, but b-chan played it in the first hour of her 12/4/05 Nippon Music Champ broadcast, if that does anything for you. but overall, i would only really listen to neo fascio if i was scanning it for songs to put in my retro 80's flick soundtrack, you know? a lot of cheesy John Carpenter synths, and big contemporary adult listening from the mid 1980's drum tracks.

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Also, I'm glad to see you've systematically scouted down my three favourite reggae albums: Marcus Garvey/Garvey's Ghost, Return of the Super Ape and Perry's deepest, most irie groove, Heart of the Congos.

indeed i have. i really dig Burning Spear. its probably my fave out of all of your recs. i do try to get to everyones recs sooner or later, it just takes some time. right now, im seriously overdue in telling KC exactly what i think of his tastes. then its on to St. A. i dont know if i will ever get to that fountains of wayne record at this rate. and as far as SFG goes, well, i have no idea where to begin, so im picking those at random.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:42 pm

Brocktune wrote:right now, im seriously overdue in telling KC exactly what i think of his tastes

i've been told I taste tangy.

but I've been eating a lot of pineapple lately...

:wink:
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Music