Van Halen ON TOUR!!

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Will Dave Return?

Might As Well Jump! Go Ahead And Jump! (Yes)
61%
I Don't Feel Tardy! Class Dismissed! (No)
28%
I Can't Drive 55! (Fuck Dave! Hagar Man!)
11%
More Than Words... okay, I got nothing. (Gary Cherone Forever!)
No votes

Total votes : 18

Postby Peven on Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:39 pm

Maui wrote:Nice to see all this love for VH.

:roll: :wink:

1984 is a big album for me, as it was easily one of the most played albums of my high school years. every party you could guarantee hearing it at last once, everyone owned it, and the first time i got high it was playing. (believe it or not it is a vivid memory :wink: )

so, i may poke some fun at how old and decrepit they look now, but that does not mean i am making fun of their work back when they were in their prime.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby minstrel on Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:49 pm

Look, I respect EVH's instrumental virtuosity. But he should have been playing in a better band.

Jeez. I can't listen to VH these days. Their music sucks and their attitude is juvenile to the point of being creepy. I just don't want to hear DLR singing about being hot for teacher. Not now. And, quite frankly, not then, either.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Maui on Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:53 pm

hahahah

Well, some bands that you grew up with - you just like them because they bring back memories, parties, whatever. They weren't fabulous songs - but they didn't suck either. Kinda in the middle and that was ok, considering the altered state you might have been in at the time. ;)

I can remember listening to Good Times Roll by the Cars. Not the greatest song, repetitive lyrics - but hey, we all loved it and it worked.
Last edited by Maui on Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Peven on Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:54 pm

Minstrel, for me, in the 80's as a high schooler, Van Halen was the right fit for the time. like you say, they had a juvenile attitude. plus, they fit in with the culture of the 80's so well, and it was something like a perfect storm of ingredients.
teenage boy+ juvenile wild rock band with shredding guitarist + the narcissistic 80's = good times, goooooood times.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby minstrel on Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:01 pm

Peven wrote:Minstrel, for me, in the 80's as a high schooler, Van Halen was the right fit for the time. like you say, they had a juvenile attitude. plus, they fit in with the culture of the 80's so well, and it was something like a perfect storm of ingredients.
teenage boy+ juvenile wild rock band with shredding guitarist + the narcissistic 80's = good times, goooooood times.

You know, I respect this. I've said in another thread somewhere that there's all kinds of music from my youth that I love unconditionally, even if I recognize now that it isn't very good. It was the music of my teen years, dammit! It's in my bones and nothing's going to get it out!

So defend your music, Peven! It's your right! Even if I think it sucks!

:wink:

I'm a bit older than you. I graduated high school in 1979. We listened to Boston (still pretty good!), Kansas (ditto-ish), Supertramp (ditto), Meat Loaf (not so good), Aerosmith (I hated them, but my friends loved them), KISS (I hated them, most of my friends hated them, but we listened anyway because we were sheep), Pink Floyd (classic then, and still classic), Yes (I loved them, my friends tolerated them), Jethro Tull (mostly great!), early Genesis (mostly great!), and so on.

It was a different era.
minstrel

Postby Peven on Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:19 pm

Kansas and Boston "pretty good"??? blech!!!!!! :-P :wink: :lol:

if it makes you feel better, Minstrel, by the time i was in 12th grade, '86, i was listening to nothing but older 70's/60's stuff; Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Stones, Allman Brothers, etc.

dig me some "Breakfast in America" too, though i am surprised that ELO isn't on your list somewhere. for my money a great 70's group.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:45 am

minstrel wrote:
Maui wrote:Image

Here they are!!! The kid on the left is EVH's kid, Wolfgang!

Wolfgang looks like a rock star.

That's a funny, eh? A 'cos a the Dino, he thought that a the Wolfie, he looks a like a the Valerie Bertinelli, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Maui on Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:02 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
That's a funny, eh? A 'cos a the Dino, he thought that a the Wolfie, he looks a like a the Valerie Bertinelli, eh?

Yeah, he most definitely does look like his mom.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:15 am

Reporter: "Eddie, you've had an amazing career, continuing to rock on while successfully recovering from hip surgery, cancer treatment, alcoholism, and divorce. As you're gearing up to go on tour again, do you have any advice for young, aspiring musicians?"

Eddie: "Eat more fiber and pack a sweater. The tour bus can be quite drafty. And shoehorns with long handles make it easy to get your shoes on without having to bend over. You get them free through Medicaid!"
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Maui on Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:00 pm

Cha-Ka Khan wrote:Reporter: "Eddie, you've had an amazing career, continuing to rock on while successfully recovering from hip surgery, cancer treatment, alcoholism, and divorce. As you're gearing up to go on tour again, do you have any advice for young, aspiring musicians?"

Eddie: "Eat more fiber and pack a sweater. The tour bus can be quite drafty. And shoehorns with long handles make it easy to get your shoes on without having to bend over. You get them free through Medicaid!"

Uh huh, his face/body truly show the hardships he has been through in his life.
Maui
WoWie

Postby bluebottle on Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:14 pm

He's looking ok on stage, and that's all that matters.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:20 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Image

Yeah, he does look good. Short hair is much better!
Maui
WoWie

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:03 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Image

when did david lee roth become a bullfighter?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby minstrel on Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:13 pm

TheBaxter wrote:when did david lee roth become a bullfighter?

He's probably always been one in his own mind. The guy isn't so much a singer as a showman - just a guy who gets his rocks off by being onstage, by being the center of attention. So he acts outrageous, dresses outrageous - anything that gets attention, that screams "Look at ME!!"
minstrel

Postby Maui on Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:28 pm

minstrel wrote:He's probably always been one in his own mind. The guy isn't so much a singer as a showman - just a guy who gets his rocks off by being onstage, by being the center of attention. So he acts outrageous, dresses outrageous - anything that gets attention, that screams "Look at ME!!"

So, what's your point? ;)
Maui
WoWie

Postby minstrel on Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:31 pm

Maui wrote:
minstrel wrote:He's probably always been one in his own mind. The guy isn't so much a singer as a showman - just a guy who gets his rocks off by being onstage, by being the center of attention. So he acts outrageous, dresses outrageous - anything that gets attention, that screams "Look at ME!!"

I don't have one. I wasn't aware that we had to have points in order to post in the Zone.

minstrel

Postby Maui on Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:41 pm

Maui
WoWie

Postby Peven on Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:50 pm

minstrel wrote:
Maui wrote:
minst rel wrote:He's probably always been one in his own mind. The guy isn't so much a singer as a showman - just a guy who gets his rocks off by being onstage, by being the center of attention. So he acts outrageous, dresses outrageous - anything that gets attention, that screams "Look at ME!!"

I don't have one. I wasn't aware that we had to have points in order to post in the Zone.

you just don't like 'ol Diamond Dave, do you Minstrel? :wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Maui on Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:57 am

I may just try and get some tickets for this. Dec 22nd show.

Be so cool to see these guys.
Maui
WoWie

Previous

Return to Music