ARTHUR RUSSELL - DISCO GOD. (don't be put off by disco)

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

ARTHUR RUSSELL - DISCO GOD. (don't be put off by disco)

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:31 pm

I heard of this guy about 2 years ago. Genius disco producer but he was primarily a cellist apprently. He was around in the late 70's and early 80's and is the one of the most innovative musician I've ever heard. I guess with The DFA, The Rapture et al taking off people will be talking about Russell more. Afro beat, house strings an enchanting unusual voice and beautiful melodies tempered with rough guitar riffs and funky bass...and that's just the start.
Perhaps I'm just really late to the party, I'm somewhat embarassed to admit I only ever bothered to get into his stuff recently due to it's appearance on an advert (It's the one with the houses moving together. Fuck you, I'm not pimping the company) but I haven't heard anyone here mention him.

Any fans?
Last edited by TonyWilson on Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:37 pm

I have a couple of his albums but I never think to throw them on.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:41 pm

You really should, it's great stuff. It's got a really new wavey feel at times.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:44 pm

I KNOW THE ADVERT YOU MEAN!

Funny I just thought of Jose Gonzalez when I saw it, all the ad execs are on the same tip since the Bravia advert.

Which is kinda sad when you look at it as I dismissed it in that context. Does the guy have a myspace? I'm assuming there's a good mix of stuff on there...

(and did anyone actually check out that Ben Cyllus link I put up in a thread I forgot? I'm pimping that guy hard! HARD! Cos he's good!)
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:48 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
(and did anyone actually check out that Ben Cyllus link I put up in a thread I forgot? I'm pimping that guy hard! HARD! Cos he's good!)

Wasn't he in James Blunt's platoon?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:50 pm

No? Not sure what you mean, he's a Detroit indie no-one seems to have heard of. Sadly.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby mistertim on Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:51 pm

I know of him, but I'm not massively familiar with his stuff... I really like a bit of disco, although normally in the giorgio moroder / bobby orlando sort of vein.

There's quite a good selection of his stuff on emusic though, so i might have a listen. Any particular records i should look out for, Tony?
"That's why they sent me I am an expert."
mistertim
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:58 pm

Calling Out Of Context is very very good. It's the more Talking Heads style stuff, but I swear there's stuff that sounds like proto shoegaze too.
TonyWilson

Postby mistertim on Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:09 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Calling Out Of Context is very very good. It's the more Talking Heads style stuff, but I swear there's stuff that sounds like proto shoegaze too.

Aah, cool... I'll look out for that, cheers!
mistertim
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:20 pm

mistertim wrote:There's quite a good selection of his stuff on emusic though, so i might have a listen.

how long have you been a member?

'cuz if you signed up recently and didn't say that maxlovesbigbrother@yahoo.com recommended the site to you, i'm banning you, post haste!

thanks for the intel Tony, will check him out...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:55 pm

TonyWilson

Postby mistertim on Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:11 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
mistertim wrote:There's quite a good selection of his stuff on emusic though, so i might have a listen.

how long have you been a member?

'cuz if you signed up recently and didn't say that maxlovesbigbrother@yahoo.com recommended the site to you, i'm banning you, post haste!

Ha, no.. sorry KCBC, I've been on there for about a year and a half...
mistertim
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:50 am

Cheers for the heads-up Tony - will be checking this out when I get home. I unashamedly love disco, and if Afrobeat is an influence on this guy, I'm even more interested. Fela Kuti is like a God to me...
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:16 am

Has anyone actually ever died after contracting this co called 'Disco-fever' ?????
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Return to Music