The Police Reunite

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

The Police Reunite

Postby Fievel on Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:56 pm

I didn't see any other Police threads, which is sad.

So they reunited on the Grammy's tonight. I thought they sounded AMAZING. All three are still at the top of their game. Sting's voice hit the high notes with as much ease as he did back in the day. Stewart Copeland is a god - period. I like how they reworked the second verse of "Roxanne". Good stuff.

So tomorrow, rumor has it that they'll be announcing a tour.

Sign me up.
Now.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby buster00 on Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:06 am

We tuned in the opening just to see them; they sounded terrific. Then we turned it back over to "The Simpsons."

I'm sure it goes without saying that ticket prices for their shows are gonna be through the roof.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:31 am

This is just another example of the New World Order in full swing... oh, um, you mean the band... Dang...
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Re: The Police Reunite

Postby minstrel on Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:53 am

Fievel wrote: Sting's voice hit the high notes with as much ease as he did back in the day.

Sting is a FAAAARRRR better singer now than he was "back in the day". Hitting the high notes was a big problem for him back then; it shouldn't be now.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Bean on Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:54 am

Don't stand... don't stand so... don't stand so close to me!

....seriously Kirk your way to fucking close!!!
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:06 am

buster00 wrote:We tuned in the opening just to see them; they sounded terrific. Then we turned it back over to "The Simpsons."

I did the exact same thing!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:00 am

N.W.A. said it best...

"Fuck tha Police!"
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:01 am

I love The Police!!! 8) Looks like theyre selling out everywhere they go too. Id love to go see them.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:20 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:N.W.A. said it best...

"Fuck tha Police!"

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Don't knock Copeland though - he's a genius. Anyone who wrote the theme tune to The Equalizer is ok by me!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:28 am

WinslowLeach wrote:Looks like theyre selling out everywhere they go too.

that makes sense, 'cuz, after all...

Sting's been selling out for years now!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:34 am

HAHAHA! True, true. But still I never thought those guys would get together again. Esp when Sting and Stewart were beating the crap out of each other all the time.

Its funny because hearing The Police are back on tour makes me really excited but when I hear about VH and Dave, I dont even care.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:54 am

Seeing them tonight! Can't wait! For what I paid, it better be worth it...
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Nordling on Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:00 pm

Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:21 pm

Nordling wrote:My thoughts: http://blog.myspace.com/nordling

Good thoughts on the Police. I've been a Police fan from way back also, having all their albums, as well as their boxset with the B-sides. Did they happen to play Born in the 50's?

They were the finale at the Live Earth concert. The concert ended with Message in a Bottle, with the help of Mayer on guitar. Kanye West came out and screwed up the song with his ridiculous off key rap though.

Anyhoo, liked your review, Gordon Sumner's son, eh? Neat!
Maui
WoWie

Postby St. Alphonzo on Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:24 pm

Kanye West served absolutely no purpose out there.

Yeah... uh... yeah...uh...yeah....uh....yeah....uh...

Total joke.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Fawst on Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:26 pm

"Kanye West hates music-loving people!"
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:31 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:Kanye West served absolutely no purpose out there.

Yeah... uh... yeah...uh...yeah....uh....yeah....uh...

Total joke.

hahahah, it was painful to watch, it really was. Sting did a good job of hiding the unbearable pain he must have been feeling from Kanye's voice.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Nordling on Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:33 pm

Maui wrote:
Nordling wrote:My thoughts: http://blog.myspace.com/nordling

Good thoughts on the Police. I've been a Police fan from way back also, having all their albums, as well as their boxset with the B-sides. Did they happen to play Born in the 50's?

They were the finale at the Live Earth concert. The concert ended with Message in a Bottle, with the help of Mayer on guitar. Kanye West came out and screwed up the song with his ridiculous off key rap though.

Anyhoo, liked your review, Gordon Sumner's son, eh? Neat!

No, but they played tracks off their first album, other than ROXANNE.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:36 pm

I thought Kanye West was terrible in his own set. And then he came out and screwed up The Police, too.

The show would have been better without him.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Maui on Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:58 am

minstrel wrote:I thought Kanye West was terrible in his own set. And then he came out and screwed up The Police, too.

The show would have been better without him.

It was such a shame that he butchered Message in a Bottle. They should have just had Mayer on the stage doing his riffs.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:08 am

I'm seeing The Police on the 17th.
Very excited.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:20 pm

Fievel wrote:I'm seeing The Police on the 17th.
Very excited.

Cool, they were here at the Oakland coliseum a while back. The tickets are just too pricey though.

I thought it was very cool their first concert of the reunion tour was in Vancouver, B.C. :D
Maui
WoWie

Postby RaulMonkey on Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:24 pm

Yeah, they figure they might as well work out the kinks on a Canadian stop.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Maui on Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:26 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:Yeah, they figure they might as well work out the kinks on a Canadian stop.

You are just jealous they didn't come to Calgary first. :wink:
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:18 pm

I forgot my review of this show....

July 17 - Palace of Auburn Hills (Auburn Hills, MI)

My fiancee and I got in about halfway through Fiction Plane's set. I knew Sting's son was the singer/bassist and had heard a lot of comparisons to old Police. For what I heard, it was decent. In fact, I really like what I heard... until their last song. The song itself was very cool, but then they went into some sort of a jam and the singer went into some Jim Morrison-esque monotone rant. It was annoying to say the least and the moment lasted WAY too long. Minus cool points for that one, kid.

So then the Police get on stage, and my heart sinks - there was a speaker stand blocking my view of Sting & Andy. Why wasn't this hanging? Who still uses speaker stands!?!?
My annoyance was over by the second or third song when the video monitors popped on and I had some sort of view. Regardless, I had a clear shot of Stewart Copeland the entire night, and that's really what I cared about.

THE GOOD: Tons of energy from these guys! I can't believe they had to wait this long to get back together. Smiles were constantly on all three faces.
Andy Summers had some great solos. I always thought his solos on record sounded like something he recorded on his own and that they just threw into the mix. He had a couple of these solos, but he also had some great rocking solos as well.
Sting's voice was great. Roxanne seemed to be in the original key. If so, it was one of the few songs (see THE BAD).
Stewart - Aside from his regular kit, he had a rack-o-goodies & toys that he went to a couple of times. Tasty stuff from him. Whever he went to the rack, he seemed to completely get a kick out of trying to get back to the drumset at the last possible second. He always succeeded.

THE BAD:
The changes. I understand changing things to keep them fresh for the performers. If they're not having fun, then why do it? But every song that had its key changed seemed to lose most of its natural energy through this change.
Setlist. I never had a "HOLY SHIT!! I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY'RE PLAYING THIS SONG!!!" moment. Not that I can exactly define what song, or type of song, would spark this kind of reaction. I had just hoped to be surprised at some point.
De-Doo-Doo-Doo. I fucking hate that song.
But the thing that disappointed me the most was the use of a click track (pre-programmed drum beat) on the tunes where Stewart would run back to the rack to play. If they're not going to have the backup singers like they did back in the Synchronicity concert, then why have a machine play a beat during three songs??

Overall, I'm glad I went. The tickets were a gift, so I'm not fretting their cost at all. I am still pissed about the $15 parking fee. Disgusting.
Rating - 7/10
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:28 pm

Fievel wrote:De-Doo-Doo-Doo. I fucking hate that song.

Nice review Fievel.

You know that song would have been very good if they had come up with something other than De Doo Doo Doo. I love the Police, I have all their works, but they tend to be a bit repetitive with their lyrics.

Glad you had fun.
Maui
WoWie

Return to Music