Brad Delp of Boston

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Brad Delp of Boston

Postby minstrel on Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:30 pm

... committed suicide.

We don't have a thread about this yet, and it happened a few days ago, and I don't want it to pass without a mention.

Boston was HUGE when I was in high school. Delp's incredible, soaring voice was part of the soundtrack of my adolescence.

I hate having to write obits, especially when it involves suicide, but I was a fan, so I'm doing this out of respect.

He was an amazing singer and deserved much better than what he got.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:35 pm

Their first album was the #1 album until Micheal Jackson went and made Thriller.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby pomeroy on Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:41 pm

I LOVE playing "More Than A Feeling" on Guitar Hero.
pomeroy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:42 pm

I was never a Boston fan, but its really sad to hear that.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:43 pm

Wolfpack wrote:Their first album was the #1 album until Micheal Jackson went and made Thriller.

I loved Delp's voice. What's even more tragic is that it's another mental illness-related suicide (not that any suicide is good). It's a shame he wasn't able to get the help he needed.

And song for song, Boston crushes Thriller (still a great album) in my opinion. No weak songs at all on Boston.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:47 pm

All Boston's music reminds me of is 6th grade school dances. Blech!! :)
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:51 pm

Boston's music reminds me of eleventh grade, in which most of my classmates first got driver's licenses (I was a year younger than most of them). So that was the year that, for the first time, my friends and I could come and go as we pleased, without adults driving us everywhere. The sense of freedom was intoxicating, and Boston was always on the car stereo.

That was a beautiful time for me, and Boston contributed to some wonderful memories.
minstrel

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:53 pm

I spent many a high school afternoon with Boston blaring from my car stereo. The first album is truly a classic. My fave was always "Cool The Engines" from the Third Stage album. I think it was Delp on vocals for that one as well...

It's not always been "cool" to like Boston, but they've always been in some kind of rotation for me. Tom Scholz created one hell of a sound, and Delp's voice was fantastic.

EDIT: Heh, looks like minstrel and I had similar high school experiences!
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby buster00 on Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:12 pm

That is a shame. "Classic Rock" radio has totally run Boston into the ground, but it really is solid music.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:17 pm

His death actually affects me financially. He was the singer for another band, Beetlejuice (not sure on the spelling). They were to be performing at a function hall this coming Saturday in a nearby town. My fiancee recently lost her job, and was just hired by said function hall as a bartender for that show. Now the band isn't going to be playing, which means she doesn't get to work, meaning that I get to cover her half of the rent this month. Ah well.

Beyond that, it's sad to hear that it was a suicide. I don't know many of their songs off the top of my head. But when any artist dies, it sucks.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:19 pm

R.I.P. should be added to the thread title...
Otherwise we might only get a few actual BOSTON fans reading this...

As opposed to people who at least would check it out to (hopefully) pay their respects...

Once again...one sad/tragic death in the news is quickly followed by another one...

'tis a shame...

Somebody should've told Delp that his depression was more than a feeling - and hopefully got him some help before it was too late...

Alas...RIP dead buddy...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby minstrel on Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:29 pm

Fawst wrote:His death actually affects me financially. He was the singer for another band, Beetlejuice (not sure on the spelling). They were to be performing at a function hall this coming Saturday in a nearby town. My fiancee recently lost her job, and was just hired by said function hall as a bartender for that show. Now the band isn't going to be playing, which means she doesn't get to work, meaning that I get to cover her half of the rent this month. Ah well.

Beyond that, it's sad to hear that it was a suicide. I don't know many of their songs off the top of my head. But when any artist dies, it sucks.

And for you it sucks twice over! I feel for you, dude.
:(
minstrel

Postby monorail77 on Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:48 pm

Juat heard about this today. Been blasting Boston in tribute, while I work, ever since. That's still great music, even today. RIP. Poor bugger.
monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:01 pm

Sad news.

But hey!
Monorail's in the house!
Nice to see you again.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:14 pm

No disrespect to the topic of this thread but I have to say:

Vicar: That may be the funniest avatar Ive ever seen!!!

ROTFL! :lol:
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby monorail77 on Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:25 pm

The Vicar wrote:Sad news.

But hey!
Monorail's in the house!
Nice to see you again.

Nice to see you too, Vicar. In response to your question of several weeks back, my Jillian is fine, thanks. How is yours?

And I agree with winslow that your av is particularly hilarious, sir.
monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby LegoKenobi on Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:12 pm

yeah, i haven't listened to boston since high school, but i've always loved them. really fantastic music, completely unique sound, and brad's soaring voice was just amazing.

i found this story linked from his wikipedia entry, and it has the most info about his suicide that i've seen anywhere: http://www.wmur.com/entertainment/11253135/detail. html.

interesting to see that he cared about other people even in his final act, but couldn't find a way to spare them the grief they are now going through because of his suicide. every article i've read about this talks about what a super nice, friendly guy he was, but it now seems clear that he was really immensely sad on the inside. the lyrics for several of their lyrics are having deeper, darker meanings for me these days: "i closed my eyes and i slipped away...", "all i want is to have my peace of mind", "more than a feeling", "i hide in my music, forget the day".... it just goes on and on.

RIP, brad -- you were awesome in life, i hope you now have peace in death. my heart goes out to his family and friends, and especially his fiancee, who must really be going through hell right now.
- LegoKenobi
LegoKenobi
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby minstrel on Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:30 pm

LegoKenobi wrote:yeah, i haven't listened to boston since high school, but i've always loved them. really fantastic music, completely unique sound, and brad's soaring voice was just amazing.

i found this story linked from his wikipedia entry, and it has the most info about his suicide that i've seen anywhere: http://www.wmur.com/entertainment/11253135/detail. html.

interesting to see that he cared about other people even in his final act, but couldn't find a way to spare them the grief they are now going through because of his suicide. every article i've read about this talks about what a super nice, friendly guy he was, but it now seems clear that he was really immensely sad on the inside. the lyrics for several of their lyrics are having deeper, darker meanings for me these days: "i closed my eyes and i slipped away...", "all i want is to have my peace of mind", "more than a feeling", "i hide in my music, forget the day".... it just goes on and on.

RIP, brad -- you were awesome in life, i hope you now have peace in death. my heart goes out to his family and friends, and especially his fiancee, who must really be going through hell right now.

Thanks for that link, Lego. I appreciate the info. :)
minstrel

Postby brabs on Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:31 pm

pomeroy wrote:I LOVE playing "More Than A Feeling" on Guitar Hero.

Seconded.

RIP fella.
brabs
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Orcus on Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:03 pm

I've just caught up with the news today. I was going through some unread issues of Entertainment Weekly when I came upon this story. Sad indeed
"Where's you're God noooooow???!!"
Orcus
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Return to Music