Sgt Pepper to be re-recorded

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Sgt Pepper to be re-recorded

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:55 pm

bbc wrote:Rock stars to recreate Sgt Pepper
The Beatles' Sgt Pepper album cover
The Beatles' original album was voted the best of all time last year
Oasis, The Killers and Razorlight are to cover songs from The Beatles' Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band to mark the album's 40th anniversary.

James Morrison, The Fratellis, Travis and the Kaiser Chiefs are among the other acts taking part in the special recording sessions for BBC Radio 2.

The engineer in charge of the original 1967 sessions will use the same equipment to record the new versions.

The results will be aired on Radio 2 on 2 June, a day after the anniversary.

The original album was released on 1 June 1967 and went on to be regarded as one of the best and most influential releases in rock history.

Last year, it came top of a Radio 2 poll to find the best number one album of all time.

'Unique event'

The modern rock bands will be recorded by audio engineer Geoff Emerick, using the one-inch four-track equipment he captured the original on 40 years ago.

Radio 2 is also celebrating its 40th birthday this year, and the programme will form part of the station's '60s Season.

Radio 2 controller Lesley Douglas said: "This will be not only a unique radio event, but a very special musical moment.

"The range and quality of artists involved ensure that this will be a fitting tribute to one of the great albums of all time."

link
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Brocktune on Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:59 pm

so they take what is arguably (i dont think so) the greatest concept album of all times, and they turn it over to be redone by a bunch of bands that combined wouldnt have even one iota of the talent that the beatles had (except maybe in the drums department)?

gimme a break.

oasis?
the fratellis?
the killers?

please.

bbc wrote:"The range and quality of artists involved ensure that this will be a fitting tribute to one of the great albums of all time."

hahahahaha!

are they trying to be funny?
best april fools joke evar.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:03 pm

Meh. How many music magazines have offered re-recorded versions of albums over the years? I recall Uncut giving the same treatment to Highway 61, The Band and Are You Experienced not so long ago.

Despite being a Beatles fan since the age of 5, and knowing EVERY single one of their lyrics by heart, I was never the biggest Sgt Pepper's fan. It's like Paul sucked the cool out of the Beatles. There are some great songs on there no doubt, but as an album it's nowhere near their best. So desecrate away...
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:03 pm

from what I've heard Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club band's original concept was to have different people doing each song, like when they introduce billy shears, but it never panned out.

in saying that, l cant stand the killers or the fratellis
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Brocktune on Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:09 pm

dude, billy shears was william campbell.

william campbell was paul mccartney's replacement after he died in a car crash in 1966.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:13 pm

I fucking hate William Campbell. He utterly ruined Sliver.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:14 pm

Brocktune wrote:dude, billy shears was william campbell.

william campbell was paul mccartney's replacement after he died in a car crash in 1966.

i know, the clues are in the songs.

seppukudkurosawa wrote:
Meh. How many music magazines have offered re-recorded versions of albums over the years? I recall Uncut giving the same treatment to Highway 61, The Band and Are You Experienced not so long ago.

funny thing is, MOJO magazine done this about a month ago with Sgt. Peppers...
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Seppuku on Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:25 pm

I remember our music teacher sitting the whole class down one day and "enlightening" us about Paul's death. He played that "Cranberry sauce/I buried Paul" bit from the end of Strawberry Fields; he played that reverse snippet at the end of Day in the Life, and re-reversed it, so we'd hear them talking about Paul's death. Then he showed us that Paul flower-guitar on the cover, and played Glass Onion where it mentioned that the Walrus was Paul (walrus', in Somalia, are called "the gatekeepers to Hell"). He genuinely, without a doubt, bought the whole Bill Campbell thing.

But I pose this question: if Paul truly was this William fella, wouldn't he have played that trump card in court with Heather Mills, saying that "their marriage never truly happened, because he was never Paul McCartney to begin with" so he wouldn't have had to pay her a single red cent?

Music teacher=pwned.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Brocktune on Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:32 pm

no.

because then he would be giving away the answers to one of the most tightly guarded secrets in music history.

it was worth whatever he paid heather millions just to keep that secret.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:52 pm

To quote Steve Urkel,

"Allow me to quote the 25th letter of the alphabet...WHY?!"

It shouldn't be messed with, dude.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:57 am

Well - it was 40 years ago today that the album was released......

I still haven't heard any of the new versions - it's quite cool that they used the original mixing desk from the 60s. But, let's face it - they aren't likely to be able to surpass the originals, are they? Anywho -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SGT. PEPPER!

ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:10 am

BAH! Alla you goddamn young putzes... the Dino, he like a it a better when a they re-recorded a the Sgt. Pepper the FIRST time, eh? With a the BeeGees, anna the Frampton, anna the Aerosmith, anna that Alice Cooper guy, anna the Steve Martin, anna the George Burns, hehehe...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby King Psyz on Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:29 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:BAH! Alla you goddamn young putzes... the Dino, he like a it a better when a they re-recorded a the Sgt. Pepper the FIRST time, eh? With a the BeeGees, anna the Frampton, anna the Aerosmith, anna that Alice Cooper guy, anna the Steve Martin, anna the George Burns, hehehe...

HALLE-FUCKING-LUJAH
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:39 pm

oasis has been remaking sgt. pepper pretty much every year since they formed... i don't see any reason to think they'll do a better job of it this time.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Theta on Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:01 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:BAH! Alla you goddamn young putzes... the Dino, he like a it a better when a they re-recorded a the Sgt. Pepper the FIRST time, eh? With a the BeeGees, anna the Frampton, anna the Aerosmith, anna that Alice Cooper guy, anna the Steve Martin, anna the George Burns, hehehe...

And the movie gave new meaning to the term "eyesore." I think that flick might have literally caused a herpes epidemic.

On the other hand, since "Across the Universe" looks filled to the brim with not only crappy Beatles covers but plenty of sanctimony about how awesome the '60s were and how great the Baby Boomers are, I can't really find too much to object to in this case.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Fawst on Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:45 pm

They should have had Muse, Mansun and The Music on there. Talk about a wasted bunch of British "M" bands. They all kick ass a thousand different ways over any of those bands that are doing this (although I put Morning Glory up there with some of the best albums I ever owned, take that how you will).
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Logan5 on Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:12 pm

Fawst wrote:They should have had Muse, Mansun and The Music on there. Talk about a wasted bunch of British "M" bands. They all kick ass a thousand different ways over any of those bands that are doing this (although I put Morning Glory up there with some of the best albums I ever owned, take that how you will).

Muse makes awesome covers. Their versions of House of the Rising Sun, Please Please Please Get Me What I Want, and Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You is frakking excellent.
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby minstrel on Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:19 pm

Does anybody really WANT this album? I mean, besides the people who dreamed it up and are participating?

I mean, Beatles fans are likely to think that these new versions are crap compared to the originals. Non-Beatles fans don't like this music anyway, and probably won't no matter who's playing it. And fans of the bands participating would probably rather hear those bands doing their own stuff.

So who is this album actually FOR?
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby wonkabar on Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:20 pm

TheBaxter wrote:oasis has been remaking sgt. pepper pretty much every year since they formed... i don't see any reason to think they'll do a better job of it this time.

What did Fonze's finger say to his thumb?
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Logan5 on Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:20 pm

minstrel wrote:Does anybody really WANT this album? I mean, besides the people who dreamed it up and are participating?

I mean, Beatles fans are likely to think that these new versions are crap compared to the originals. Non-Beatles fans don't like this music anyway, and probably won't no matter who's playing it. And fans of the bands participating would probably rather hear those bands doing their own stuff.

The PS3 crowd?
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:56 am

I saw the first part of the "making of" documentary last night. It was quite interesting, especially the effect that recording on the 1967 recording machinery - one inch four track tape - and with Geoff Emerick producing it.

It really highlighted the shortcomings of some of the bands involved - especially the Kaiser Chiefs who, after 20 takes which were unsatisfactory for Emerick, had to have a crisis meeting before trying to continue.

Others (Travis, The Fray, Stereophonics) seemed to really be able to fit in and produce songs which were really outstanding.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:36 pm

minstrel wrote:Does anybody really WANT this album? I mean, besides the people who dreamed it up and are participating?

Macca's alimony payout??
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:39 pm

I watched it too and thought it was rather good, The Fray did the best job for my money.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Return to Music