Forgotten Soundtracks

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:00 am

I desperatley want to get hold of the Fandango soundtrack together with complete score.

I don't think it ever existed though. Any ideas?

Also still trying to get my hands on the Artificial Intelligence Complete Score too. Apart from the obvious palces, Ebay etc. any other ideas?

Oh, and Agent Alonzo? Don;t worry about what OMD are doing now. One of the band members did a wonderful, miraculous thing for the world but especially me, and that was to give us ATOMIC KITTEN.

I still hold them right here in my heart.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Dataslave on Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:43 am

Well, I first thought of Tangerine Dream's Legend soundtrack, but it's already been mentioned.
Honestly though, I like James Horner's Willow Soundtrack. A little melodramatic in places, but also quite beautiful and haunting.

Off topic... Still thinking Val Kilmer would have done better as Robin Hood than Kevin Costner (well almost anybody would have really...)
Dataslave
GLIB

Time After Time

Postby DrCaligari on Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:05 am

I love Miklos Roza's score for "Time Afte Time." The music for the chase scene between H.G. Wells and Jack the Ripper through San Fransisco kicks all sorts of ass.
DrCaligari
GLIB

Postby Seppuku on Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:12 am

I got a lot of love for Vangelis' Blade Runner symphony.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby magicmonkey on Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:19 am

Come on guys, Ennio Morricones scores to all the Leone films. Ohhhh, shiver. Put it on your IPOD nanny-o and make every little mundane thing you do epic.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Seppuku on Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:35 am

magicmonkey wrote:Come on guys, Ennio Morricones scores to all the Leone films. Ohhhh, shiver. Put it on your IPOD nanny-o and make every little mundane thing you do epic.

I agree that they're things of beauty, but they're not exactly forgotten. I was listening to a Cypress Hill song the other day that sampled the Harmonica bit from Once Upon a Time in the West. And hot damn, if I hear that quivering Good, Bad and the Ugly lick one more time I'm gonna have to shoot somebody :evil:
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby magicmonkey on Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:43 am

seppukudkurosawa wrote:I agree that they're things of beauty, but they're not exactly forgotten. I was listening to a Cypress Hill song the other day that sampled the Harmonica bit from Once Upon a Time in the West. And hot damn, if I hear that quivering Good, Bad and the Ugly lick one more time I'm gonna have to shoot somebody :evil:

ANy chance I get to blag that soundtrack... As for forgotten, I like the title, but all the soundtracks I've seen here are pretty well remembered on the whole, but I'll certainly try a little harder for ya!

Dirty Dancing, forgotten, maybe for a reason. Patrick Swayze crooning "She's like the wind" makes you wonder how he never launched a successful music career and Billy Ray Syrus did. You gotta love the music cue in the film where "Overload" kicks in as he smashes the window of the car to drive to the place with that fallen log and then swim in what looks like a very cold lake, all the while revealing Jennifer Greys little moist mounds.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby buster00 on Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:59 am

Pretty in Pink also has Suzanne Vega & Joe Jackson doing "Left of Center." EXCELLENT song.

Here's some 80's Velveeta:

Better Off Dead soundtrack -- available on CD! Woo your own personal Beths and Moniques with the same synth fluff you wore out on VHS, yawned out mostly by "poor man's Howard Jones" Rupert Hine. Plus the title song, performed by E.G. Daily!

Summer School soundtrack -- out of print on CD. Maybe you can find a used copy or download the good stuff, like Boingo's "Happy"... or "Mind Over Matter" by the ever present E.G. Daily (she kept busy when she wasn't being Dottie opposite Pee Wee Herman).
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DirtyRatBastard on Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:16 am

Um...I would have to say that a forgotten gem would have to be, the christmas soundtrack of Toys.

Simply ethereal music that will get even the biggest grinch in the mood for a little Yuletide cheer.

Bitches.
They hate you because they wish they could have seen half the things you have...
DirtyRatBastard
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:22 am

Tangerine Dreams Near Dark score
Neil Young's score for Dead Man is absolutely brilliant, hypnotic and mythic.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Hermanator X on Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:46 pm

The spawn soundtrack is awesome. Some great collaborations, but ive never seen the movie cos it looks shite.

Judgement night was another in the same vein. Faith no more tune is great.

Same with event horizon, a lotta my favorite soundtracks are to movies i dont like. Ive just realised that its kind of odd.

Oh yeah, and The taking of pelham 123 theme gives me goosebumps.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Cineister Jim on Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:53 pm

Extreme Prejudice - excellent Jerry Goldsmith synth score that never pusses out and becomes kitchy 80's synth. Cool neo-western too.

Jackie Brown - this Tarantino soundtrack seems to get no love...except from me.

King Kong (1976) - Don't know if it's forgotten, but seems to unfairly suffer it's association with the title film.
J.W. Grant: You bastard.

Rico: Yes sir. In my case an accident of birth. But you, you're a self-made man.
Cineister Jim
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby tapehead on Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:21 pm

Man-in-the-Box wrote:The second Crow movie had a cool soundtrack, (another one that I never saw the movie).
And I don't know how I forgot to mention Repo Man.

was a bigger fan of the first Crow soundtrack - but the soundtrack to Repo man is definitely one of my faves (was beginning to think I was too old for the zone) both this and Grosse Point Blank were done by Joe Strummer, right? although John Cusack (as is the case with High Fidelity) had alot of input
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby griff311 on Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:35 pm

Agent Alonzo wrote:Didn't Simon LeBon get lost on a boat once? Or did I dream that...

He didn't get lost, but he did almost drown when his boat "The Rum Runner" (which was the name of the first bar Duran played at) capzised during a race. I was a huge Duranie during the 80's and still retain a lot of Duran trivia!
griff311
GLIB

Postby Vegeta on Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:40 pm

I have to admit The Devi's Rejects had a great soundtrack.

Streets of Fire was definetly good.

Judgement Night - Rap/rock combos long before Limp Bizkit and linken park
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby cap on Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:40 pm

I haven't seen it mentioned, the soundtrack for "Singles" is really good as well. Captured the Grunge Rock thing real well.
cap
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:41 pm

griff311 wrote:I was a huge Duranie during the 80's and still retain a lot of Duran trivia!

That's a sad, paisan... Very sad...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby griff311 on Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:42 pm

And my favorite John Hughes movie and Soundtrack: Ferris Bueller's Day Off. First movie to use Yellow's "Oh Yeah". Also a great song by Madness "March of the Swivelheads", the music playing during Ferris's sprint home at the end of the movie. Classic stuff!
griff311
GLIB

Postby Vegeta on Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:42 pm

Jackie Brown - this Tarantino soundtrack seems to get no love...except from me.

Me too!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby griff311 on Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:45 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
griff311 wrote:I was a huge Duranie during the 80's and still retain a lot of Duran trivia!

That's a sad, paisan... Very sad...

Oh come on... we all geek out over something when we are kids, give me a break if I can recall stuff from my pre-teens. Atleast I can remember my youth!
griff311
GLIB

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:47 pm

griff311 wrote:Atleast I can remember my youth!

I would IPAMPILASH iffa I was not a too busy wiping away a the tears...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby RoyBatty on Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:12 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:
Man-in-the-Box wrote:And I don't know how I forgot to mention Repo Man.

"We all gotta duck / when the shit hits the fan". That's a sublime punk rock collection. Even the spanish-language cover version of Secret Agent Man kicks ass on that thing.

Pity it doesn't include the song the Circle Jerks performed on stage the way they did it in that one scene (shooby do wop wop say yeah)

Some other notables:

Heat. Definitely one of the soundtracks to match a movie's mood.

Blade Runner. I found a copy of a version different from the official one Vangelis released, which I also have. It includes the "Roy meets with Tyrrell" elevator music. I think the writing on the disc is Checkoslovakian (sp?).

Strange Days - while the movie wasn't great (I'd call it an unofficial sequel to Brainstorm), the soundtrack is. The final song sounds like Peter Gabriel singing in Esperanto, but he isn't listed as the singer.

Until the End of the World - U2, Talking Heads, and some other great music there.

Conan The original movie soundtrack is a good orchestral and choral composition.
Last edited by RoyBatty on Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoyBatty
GLIB

Postby RoyBatty on Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:16 pm

Oh yeah, most of the Tangerine Dream soundtracks were cool, but I'll mention the one for Miracle Mile as one of my favorites, too.
RoyBatty
GLIB

Postby Fievel on Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:23 pm

Lost Boys - The INXS/Jimmy Barnes tune is still great. Autoerotic-what?

Judgement Night - Like it was said above - ahead of its time.

Any John Hughes, although Pretty In Pink gets my top vote.

Die Hard - Why isn't this a wide release, and why are the only copies available on eBay for over $100? I love the way that Michael Kamen (RIP) messes with Beethoven in this one.

Beverly Hills Cop - Axel-F Theme alone is worth the price.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby wonkabar on Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:08 pm

STEALING BEAUTY is awesome
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby oisin5199 on Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:11 pm

Some of my favorite 80s instrumental soundtracks were the early work of Mark Isham. On vinyl, I had a release called Film Music, with music from 'Never Cry Wolf,' a documentary on Harvey Milk, and a little remembered film called Mrs. Soffel, starring Mel Gibson, Diane Keaton and Matthew Modine. For a practically unknown film, this had one of the most haunting piano themes I've ever heard for a movie. Just brilliant. I'm also a fan of his OST for another little known film called The Moderns, with Keith Carradine, Linda Fiorentino, Geraldine Chaplin and Wallace Shawn. Some great work that evokes Paris of the 20s.

For song soundtracks, I'll echo Wim Wenders' Until the End of the World, and add the two angel masterpieces Wings of Desire and Faraway, So Close. Great use of Nick Cave, Lou Reed, Laurie Anderson, Crime and the City Solution, House of Love, Jane Siberry and more (oh yeah, and that U2 song - makes much more sense in context with the film).
oisin5199
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby DrillerKiller on Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:04 pm

Didn't even check if these were already posted or not, but the following soundtracks are fucking deadly....

Dazed & Confused (and Even More....)
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
Demon Knight
Strangeland (if you like metal that is)
Judgement Night
Singles
Easy Rider
The Deer Hunter
The Big Lebowski
Bordello of Blood
Tales From the Crypt
Wellycome....in jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby RoyBatty on Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:35 pm

Heavy Metal!!! How could I forget this one??

It has Devo, the only Sammy Hagar song I like, Cheap Trick, Blue Oyster Cult, among others.
RoyBatty
GLIB

Previous

Return to Music