What was your first concert?

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Postby oisin5199 on Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:15 pm

Moriarty wrote:
oisin5199 wrote:Well, when I was five years old, I saw the original Jackson 5 in 1975. I remember the fros, the platform shoes, the dry ice. And Michael was still human. And Janet was practically a toddler. In my early teens, my brother took me to see Men at Work (Cargo Tour) and the Eurythmics (Touch tour). Just a year or so earlier, he had been lucky enough to see the English Beat, with REM opening! Since it was out of state, I wasn't old enough for that yet. I think my first without a family member was Prince's Purple Rain tour, complete with the bathtubs and flowers falling from the ceiling. Though my true high school concert going started with Tears For Fears, Big Chair tour. Soon after, I'd be seeing the classics Depeche Mode (both Black Celebration and Music For the Masses), OMD (Crush and Pacific Age), the Smiths (Queen is Dead), Erasure (The Innocents), New Order (Brotherhood), Peter Murphy (Love Hysteria - who oddly enough, did a cover of Purple Rain). What a great time!

You are my motherfucking rock and roll hero.

I wish I could claim I'd seen half those shows. The Men At Work tour. The Eurythmics tour. Prince's PURPLE RAIN tour. Holy fuck, man. The Tears for Fears tour. I prefer the first album, but I would have loved to have seen them at that one moment they were "huge."

Seriously. I hate you. I want to eat your brain and absorb the memories of these shows.

Yeah, that TFF show was pretty incredible, especially at 14. Too bad when I saw them this past year (for their 'reunion' show) they sucked ass. The crowd was all former frat boys and sorority girls who didn't shut up the whole show. And the sad thing was the band knew that was their audience and they played up to them like a bunch of whores. They even joked about being sick of playing 'Shout' but they knew we expected it. And their version of Mad World was much more like the Gary Jules' Donnie Darko version. In my mind, they totally disrespect those days and the early fans and make fun of themselves for being too 'earnest' - yet that earnestness produced some of the best emotional pop of the 80s (and not that weak Beatles ripoff stuff now). That 4 piece lineup on SFTBC was definitive TFF, never to be repeated.

In another irony, my tour shirts from the TFF show and Depeche Mode's Black Celebration have now shrunk beyond wearing and my 12 year old stepson wears them now.
oisin5199
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby minstrel on Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:34 am

I looked at a lot of the answers in this thread and something bothered me. Why are so many people ashamed of their first concerts? Why are so many people ashamed that, when they were young, they liked so-and-so who was popular back then? The fact that you liked it when you were young does not mean it was bad music. Of course, you may listen to other stuff now, but that does not mean that what you listened to in your youth is lousy.

I'm 44, and I've found myself going back to many of the bands and records I used to love as a teenager, and I find that I still love them. I was a big prog-rock fan in the early 70s, and I don't care how far that kind of music has fallen out of fashion; I still love it. I also have tons of other stuff in my collection, from Celtic folk music to classical to Huey Lewis to CCR to Van Morrison to Phish to REM. I like it all.

Embrace it all, everything you've ever loved. It all counts and it all has its virtue, and someday when you're a lot older than you are now, you may find yourself going back to it and lovng it the way you did when you were 13. There's no reason to be ashamed.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:57 am

well of course you'd say that, what with the Huey and Phish stuff :wink:.

or you could be going through a mid-life crisis.

it's more like looking back at a self you aren't anymore...sure, our sum experiences is what makes us, but that also means we're constantly evolving, no?

Am I embarrassed I spent my parents hard earned cash on Poison, Cinderella, some damn version of "Funkytown" (no, not the original, i ain't THAT old)...no. More upset that back then I didn't know 'bout Gang of Four, Can, the Fall 'cuz my dumb ass new nuthin' 'bout rock mags, the writings of Lester Bangs.

I try to imagine the person I would be today spending my formative years listening to with that sorta music...I COULD BE EVEN MORE PRETENTIOUS!!!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:50 pm

While I am admittedly going through a mid-life crisis, and have been for some years, and there is no end in sight, I think my central point still stands. Of course we evolve as we grow older, but that doesn't mean that we should be ashamed of what we chose when we were younger. I would like to think that as I've grown older, I've become more inclusive in what I like, looking for quality, but not genre or style. Even lousy artists sometimes do a good song, and even great artists put out crap sometimes.

My point wasn't that we don't or shouldn't evolve. My point was that we don't have to be ashamed of what we liked when we were younger. When I was a kid I liked ice cream and hated asparagus. Now I like asparagus, but I'm not ashamed that I used to like ice cream. (I still DO like ice cream, in fact, but I hardly ever eat it.)

And BTW, it's perfectly ok to be pretentious when you're young. It may annoy others, but heck, we're all pretentious when we're young. People who are pretentious when they're old kinda make me sick. :)
minstrel

Postby MiltonWaddams on Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:08 pm

my first concert was 'less than jake' at some shitty bar. i don't know if it's the nostalgia or the fact that they're one of the best live bands ever, but that was the best concert i've ever been to. sigh.

good times..
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON

Postby Brocktune on Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:18 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote: some damn version of "Funkytown" (no, not the original, i ain't THAT old)...no.

the band was called "pseudo echo" if memory serves.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:29 pm

minstrel wrote:My point wasn't that we don't or shouldn't evolve. My point was that we don't have to be ashamed of what we liked when we were younger. When I was a kid I liked ice cream and hated asparagus. Now I like asparagus, but I'm not ashamed that I used to like ice cream. (I still DO like ice cream, in fact, but I hardly ever eat it.)

i am proud to say i've hated asparagus my entire life.

and Ice Cream is one of the best tracks off of arguably the greatest Wu-Tang solo album.

minstrel wrote:And BTW, it's perfectly ok to be pretentious when you're young. It may annoy others, but heck, we're all pretentious when we're young. People who are pretentious when they're old kinda make me sick. :)

damn that smiley emoticon, your comment still stings :(.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:32 pm

Brocktune wrote:the band was called "pseudo echo" if memory serves.

heh. good call.

Never knew they were Aussies

PSEUDO ECHO’S sensational chart topping achievements in the Eighties, kept them on an exciting rollercoaster ride through one of the most prominent music decades of our time.

:shock:
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:53 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:
PSEUDO ECHO’S sensational chart topping achievements in the Eighties, kept them on an exciting rollercoaster ride through one of the most prominent music decades of our time.

:shock:

ipampilash!
thats too funny
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Hollywood_Bob on Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:39 pm

MY first concert was Janet Jackson....wasn't to bad
Hollywood_Bob
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Maui on Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:12 pm

ZZ Top Afterburner Tour - Vancouver Coliseum
Maui
WoWie

Postby minstrel on Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:29 pm

Boy, Maui, you sure are resurrecting long-dead threads around here, aren't you? Nobody'd posted in this one for over eighteen months!

:)
minstrel

Postby Hollywood_Bob on Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:33 pm

Janet Jackson....the Janet Tour...o how I wanted to be the dud holding her boobies on that album cover...

CRAP....I forgot I posted in this thread....a few posts above no less...crap crap crap...thats what I get for being zoned out here at work...
"The only way to rid yourself of tempation...is to yeild to it." Oscar Wilde

Hollywood_Bob
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Maui on Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:35 pm

minstrel wrote:Boy, Maui, you sure are resurrecting long-dead threads around here, aren't you? Nobody'd posted in this one for over eighteen months!

:)

well, I'm diggin' around a wee bit.
Maui
WoWie

Postby yaz67 on Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:50 pm

Husker Du in 1984. Small club. My ears are still ringing a bit I think. Nice thread. Like to see some new entries.
yaz67
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby minstrel on Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:32 pm

Genesis in '77, I think. "Wind And Wuthering" tour, when Steve Hackett was still in the band.

Also Jethro Tull, around the same time, in support of their "Heavy Horses" album.
minstrel

Postby Fievel on Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:21 pm

First 5 concerts:
Metallica - 2/1/93 Saginaw, MI
Jerry Garcia Band - 4/16/93 - Los Angeles, CA
Grateful Dead 6/8/93 - Auburn Hills, MI
Primus - 10/19/93 - Detroit, MI
Pink Floyd - 7/15/94 - Pontiac, MI (first complete performance of Dark Side of the Moon since 1975)
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby wonkabar on Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:49 pm

Hmmm, I'm gonna try to remember my first ten...

Depeche Mode-Violator tour--San Diego Sports Arena

I almost totally forgot the first festival-concert that I went to called "X-Fest" in San Diego. Featuring..
Ziggy Marley, They Might Be Giants, The Cramps, The B-52's
and some other stuff I don't remember at San Diego State University.

Megadeth/Judas Priest...uh, Rust in Peace and... whatever that was-tour at the San Diego Sports Arena

Pearl-Jam/Nirvana/Red-Hot-Chili-Peppers together at the Del Mar Fairgrounds

another 91X-show with
Big Country and Social Distortion... the Sports-Arena

U2. Achtung-Baby/Zoo-TV tour-San Diego Jack Murphy/Qualcom Stadium. Along with The Sugar-Cubes and Public Enemy

Smashing Pumpkins and "Shudder to Think" also in Del Mar

Lollapolooza...3 I think, with
Primus, Alice in Chains, Dinosaur Jr., Fishbone, Arrested Development, Rage Against the Machine and Tool up in...by a dam south-east of Arcadia CA

Nirvana again, with Bobcat Goldwait at the San Diego Sports Arena.

Another 91X-Fest with
Stone Temple Pilots, Butthole-Surfers, Firehose, some other shit, and Johnny Rotten as the MC
This show was on Coronado-Island right on the beach. Probably one of the coolest locations I've ever been to for a show.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Seppuku on Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:57 am

First Concert was a Glastonbury festival, where I was concieved apparently.

First non-foetus concert was...I think Public Enemy. It was probably a local cover band or something, but that sounds so much cooler so I'll stick with that.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby wharto on Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:17 am

Radiohead 1995.
Suck My Balls!
wharto
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby unikrunk on Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:36 am

Fugazi - Repeater tour - 1990? That is the first concert I remember going to, at least. I may have been to a Circle Jerks concert before that, but memory does not serve in this case.

And for the record, I have seen Fugazi every time the opportunity has presented itself - the best was the last time I saw them, they did a weird combo set of Instrumental (the new album at the time), a little off of Red Medicine, but most of the set was from In on the Kill Taker...and it was fucking gold, I tell ya.

/unikrunk wishes he could have seen The Minutemen, but D. Boon had to go and die. Damn it.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby yaz67 on Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:20 am

unikrunk wrote:/unikrunk wishes he could have seen The Minutemen, but D. Boon had to go and die. Damn it.

I will 2nd that.

I'm sure you have it, but the DVD "We jam econo" is excellent. Highly recommended.
yaz67
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby unikrunk on Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:40 am

yaz67 wrote:
unikrunk wrote:/unikrunk wishes he could have seen The Minutemen, but D. Boon had to go and die. Damn it.

I will 2nd that.

I'm sure you have it, but the DVD "We jam econo" is excellent. Highly recommended.

I just saw that a couple weeks back; a friend has it. Beautiful -

/San Pedro, San Pedro
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:39 am

minstrel wrote:Genesis in '77, I think. "Wind And Wuthering" tour, when Steve Hackett was still in the band.

You know Genesis is on tour again. They are calling it the Genesis - Turn it on Again 2007 Reunion Tour. I imagine the tickets will be as pricey as the Police tickets were.
Maui
WoWie

Postby minstrel on Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:49 pm

Maui wrote:
minstrel wrote:Genesis in '77, I think. "Wind And Wuthering" tour, when Steve Hackett was still in the band.

You know Genesis is on tour again. They are calling it the Genesis - Turn it on Again 2007 Reunion Tour. I imagine the tickets will be as pricey as the Police tickets were.

The rotten thing is, after Hackett left the band, Phil Collins assumed control and turned Genesis into just another stupid pop band. Sure, they had their biggest hits after that, so it was financially a good move, but the music became intolerably dull. I prefer their earlier, more adventurous stuff. And I bet there won't be much of that on this reunion tour.

Unless they can get Peter Gabriel to show up ...
minstrel

Postby Seppuku on Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:51 pm

minstrel wrote:
Maui wrote:
minst rel wrote:Genesis in '77, I think. "Wind And Wuthering" tour, when Steve Hackett was still in the band.

The rotten thing is, after Hackett left the band, Phil Collins assumed control and turned Genesis into just another stupid pop band. Sure, they had their biggest hits after that, so it was financially a good move, but the music became intolerably dull. I prefer their earlier, more adventurous stuff. And I bet there won't be much of that on this reunion tour.

Unless they can get Peter Gabriel to show up ...

Minstrel, start a prog-thread. Seriously. :twisted: Do eeeeeeeet!

(Unless Bean already made one.)
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Zarles on Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:40 pm

My first show was The Grateful Dead, but only because my friend had an extra ticket and convinced me to go. Didn't care for the music, the people, the smell, etc. Might be different now, but hey - I was 15 at the time.

My first REAL concert, though, was Hole, Nirvana, and Dinosaur Jr. at the Hollywood Palladium, two weeks before 'Nevermind' came out. I remember trying desperately to get my friends into Nirvana after the show, but none of them paid any attention to me at all. They paid a little more attention two weeks later, though. Heh.

REVENGE WAS MINE!
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:36 pm

18 months later, as this thread has been reborn, I can expiate my sin. When the exchange below occurred I had never seen, read, nor heard much about American Psycho. I shall go and sin no more.

DennisMM wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Do you like Huey Lewis and the news? Their early work was too new wave for my tastes, but when sport came out in eighty three,I think they came into their own. The whole album has a clear crisp sound, that gives the songs a big boast. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a much more bitter, cynical sense of humour. In eighty seven, Huey released this, fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is hip to be square, a song so catchy, most people don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformiting, it's a personal statement about the band itself.

The resemblance to Costello is not surprising. Costello's first album, "My Aim is True," was recorded not with The Attractions but with Clover, the precursor of The News, not including Huey.

I'd have to disagree about the sense of humor, though. At times, early Costello is about as nasty and cynical as you could get in 1978.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Previous

Return to Music