I Refuse To Accept The Official Interpretation Of THE WALL

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

I Refuse To Accept The Official Interpretation Of THE WALL

Postby Nordling on Fri May 18, 2007 10:17 am

Listening to it this week, I think the album (not the film) plays perfectly in these post-911 days of isolation and paranoia. I'd really like to see someone make another film of THE WALL but instead of it being about some pampered rock star's sense of isolation from his fans, it being about a family trying to sort out their lives after 9/11, and touch upon the various themes resonating throughout the album and apply them to today's modern political sensibilities.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Re: I Refuse To Accept The Official Interpretation Of THE WA

Postby magicmonkey on Fri May 18, 2007 10:20 am

Nordling wrote: apply them to today's modern political sensibilities.

Impeach Bush?
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby The Todd on Fri May 18, 2007 10:21 am

Oh!! Official Interpretation OF The Wall!

For a minute there, The Todd thought you wanted a new interpretation of Michael Jackson's overlooked masterpiece Off The Wall.....
i reject your reality and substitute my own
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Fri May 18, 2007 10:22 am

The Todd wrote:Oh!! Official Interpretation OF The Wall!

For a minute there, The Todd thought you wanted a new interpretation of Michael Jackson's overlooked masterpiece Off The Wall.....

Me too

:oops:
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby silentbobafett on Fri May 18, 2007 10:24 am

Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....SHAMON!!!!!
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Nordling on Fri May 18, 2007 10:24 am

Seriously, to me the whole album from beginning to end makes me think of the state of the United States today, from 9/11 to the self-isolation to the refusal to deal with issues to the end, being dragged kicking and screaming to deal with the rest of the world (or one can only hope that's how it will play out in reality).
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Fri May 18, 2007 11:19 am

The Thin Ice is about global warming.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Fri May 18, 2007 11:29 am

tapehead wrote:The Thin Ice is about global warming.

:D Yeah- Goodbye, cruel world!
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby King Of Nowhere on Fri May 18, 2007 11:33 am

i always hated the film.
i think its cause the album stands so well on its own, isn't the purpose of the film to screw with peoples opinions of the album?
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Nordling on Fri May 18, 2007 11:38 am

king_of_nowhere wrote:i always hated the film.
i think its cause the album stands so well on its own, isn't the purpose of the film to screw with peoples opinions of the album?

I never liked it either, although I do like Alan Parker as a director.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby havocSchultz on Fri May 18, 2007 11:40 am

The film's much better if you're completely stoned out of your fucking mind...

Then again, I could probably say that about most films...
So I guess that doesn't really help...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Fri May 18, 2007 11:43 am

Hilarious!. So much of this works... I can imagine an entire musical production based around this.

"Another Brick in the Wall Part 2" - No Child Left Behind
"The Happiest Days of Our Lives" - George's days on booze and coke
"Mother" - An ode to Barbara Bush
"Goodbye Blue Sky" - George's environmental policies
"Young Lust" - The Bush Twins nightly escapades
"One of My Turns" - George goes off the wagon
"Don't Leave Me Now" - Laura has had enough
"Goodbye Cruel World" - Wolfowitz resigns from the World Bank (or any number of other staffers who have resigned over scandal)
"Hey You" - The last thing you remember hearing right before Cheney shoots you in the face
"Is There Anybody Out There?" - George pleads for understanding and support as his approval ratings drop further
"Nobody Home" - :lol: A look at George's inner-thoughts
"Bring the Boys Back Home" - 'nuff said
"Comfortably Numb" - Laura's swan song on stage
"The Show Must Go On" - The morning staff meeting
"Run Like Hell" - 'nuff said
"Stop" - America finally wakes up?
"The Trial" - Impeach Bush!
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby magicmonkey on Fri May 18, 2007 11:47 am

I <3 Cha-ka.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri May 18, 2007 11:53 am

I'm quite happy with The Wall as it is, rather than try to fit it around 9/11.

Reworking Waters' "Amused To Death" to 9/11, however, would be pretty cool.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Fri May 18, 2007 12:04 pm

silentbobafett wrote:Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....SHAMON!!!!!

Dude... that's from Thriller.
Mama say mama sa ma-ma coo sa!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Fri May 18, 2007 12:05 pm

Cha-Ka Khan wrote:

Hilarious!. So much of this works... I can imagine an entire musical production based around this.

"Another Brick in the Wall Part 2" - No Child Left Behind
"The Happiest Days of Our Lives" - George's days on booze and coke
"Mother" - An ode to Barbara Bush
"Goodbye Blue Sky" - George's environmental policies
"Young Lust" - The Bush Twins nightly escapades
"One of My Turns" - George goes off the wagon
"Don't Leave Me Now" - Laura has had enough
"Goodbye Cruel World" - Wolfowitz resigns from the World Bank (or any number of other staffers who have resigned over scandal)
"Hey You" - The last thing you remember hearing right before Cheney shoots you in the face
"Is There Anybody Out There?" - George pleads for understanding and support as his approval ratings drop further
"Nobody Home" - :lol: A look at George's inner-thoughts
"Bring the Boys Back Home" - 'nuff said
"Comfortably Numb" - Laura's swan song on stage
"The Show Must Go On" - The morning staff meeting
"Run Like Hell" - 'nuff said
"Stop" - America finally wakes up?
"The Trial" - Impeach Bush!

Holy crap! That's REALLY good!!! And that's coming from someone who thinks The Wall is a crappy Pink Floyd album along with anything after Wish You Were Here.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby silentbobafett on Fri May 18, 2007 12:12 pm

Fievel wrote:
silentbobafett wrote:Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....Gotta ta be starting something....SHAMON!!!!!

Fuck man! Really! shit

Mama say mama sa mama coo sa!

WHAT WAS THAT ALL ABOUT!?! I never got that? I dug it... but never got it! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri May 18, 2007 12:23 pm

silentbobafett wrote:
Fievel wrote:

Fuck man! Really! shit

Mama say mama sa mama coo sa!

WHAT WAS THAT ALL ABOUT!?! I never got that? I dug it... but never got it! :-)

Hush now baby, baby - don't you cry...
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Fri May 18, 2007 12:24 pm

What's so special about the 9th of November?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Fri May 18, 2007 12:51 pm

Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough Keep on with the force don't stop Don't stop 'til you get enough
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby minstrel on Fri May 18, 2007 1:07 pm

I never liked The Wall much.

However, David Gilmour's guitar solo at the end of Comfortably Numb is one of the pinnacles of the art of rock music. I don't think they should make a new movie version of The Wall. But they should definitely consider a movie of Comfortably Numb, and bring Gilmour in to do the music for it.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri May 18, 2007 2:36 pm

minstrel wrote:David Gilmour's guitar solo at the end of Comfortably Numb is one of the pinnacles of the art of rock music.

I remember reading that this solo, she was a pieced a together from a number of a the solos that a the Gilmour, he had a recorded, eh? From a the "Greatest Guitar Solos" thread there was a the link to a the Top 100 list, anna the Comfortably Numb, she's a like, Number 4 onna the list. From a the details about a the solo:

David Gilmour wrote:"I just went out into the studio and banged out five or six solos. From there I just followed my usual procedure, which is to listen back to each solo and mark out bar lines, noting which bits are good. In other words, I make a chart, putting ticks and crosses on different bars as I count through - two ticks if it's really good, one if it's good, and a cross if it's no go. Then I just follow the chart, whipping one fader up, then another fader, jumping from phrase to phrase and trying to make a really nice solo all the way through".
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby minstrel on Fri May 18, 2007 2:42 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
minstrel wrote:David Gilmour's guitar solo at the end of Comfortably Numb is one of the pinnacles of the art of rock music.

I remember reading that this solo, she was a pieced a together from a number of a the solos that a the Gilmour, he had a recorded, eh? From a the "Greatest Guitar Solos" thread there was a the link to a the Top 100 list, anna the Comfortably Numb, she's a like, Number 4 onna the list. From a the details about a the solo:

David Gilmour wrote:"I just went out into the studio and banged out five or six solos. From there I just followed my usual procedure, which is to listen back to each solo and mark out bar lines, noting which bits are good. In other words, I make a chart, putting ticks and crosses on different bars as I count through - two ticks if it's really good, one if it's good, and a cross if it's no go. Then I just follow the chart, whipping one fader up, then another fader, jumping from phrase to phrase and trying to make a really nice solo all the way through".

I've read several interviews with Gilmour, and that's his usual way of working. Lots of people record that way, actually. I don't really care so long as the final product works.

:)
minstrel

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri May 18, 2007 2:45 pm

If you think "The Wall" works as a parable of post-911 angst and paranoia... try listening to the Floyd's last album with Waters: "The Final Cut".

It's my fave Floyd album, and criminally underheard.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri May 18, 2007 2:49 pm

minstrel wrote:I've read several interviews with Gilmour, and that's his usual way of working. Lots of people record that way, actually. I don't really care so long as the final product works.

Certainly paisan... I was a not implying that a the solo is anything less than a the brilliance... The Dino, he was a just a surprised a to learn that it was a the conglomeration, as it were, of a couple of a pieces. The final product, she is a so smooth anna organic, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Fried Gold on Fri May 18, 2007 2:59 pm

I think The Wall put too much emphasis on the words and not enough on the music. Some of the songs on the album get the balance, other don't. It's something which started with Animals and went full force in The Final Cut.

They seemed to lose the balance and it was detrimental to their songs overall.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Fri May 18, 2007 4:06 pm

Animals is their best album, but only because I haven't heard The Final Cut. I'll have to check that out. Maybe it can dethrone Animals, but... I doubt it ;)
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Fri May 18, 2007 4:24 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:

Wow, that's gotta be the first time I've ever seen that sentence, with regard to Final Cut.

Not that I hate the album or anything; people just don't list that as "Fave Floyd Album."
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri May 18, 2007 4:34 pm

buster00 wrote:
St. Alphonzo wrote:

Wow, that's gotta be the first time I've ever seen that sentence, with regard to Final Cut.

Not that I hate the album or anything; people just don't list that as "Fave Floyd Album."

It actually took me many years to get into it. The first time I heard it, I just thought: "OK... loud, soft, loud, soft, scream, whisper" I think as I got older I started appreciating the emotion, the politics, and the utter fucking despair lying at the bottom of this song cycle. You definately have to be in a certain kind of mood to listen to it.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby monorail77 on Fri May 18, 2007 6:47 pm

Hear hear, St. Alphonzo. The Final Cut is great. So much anger and sorrow. I can only listen to it once in awhile because its too intense.

I remember first really getting into the album around the time of the first Gulf War. When the news of the war broke, my friend and I pictured Roger Waters holed up in some flat and giving some long, soul-piercing primal scream. (We secretly hoped this was true and that he recorded the scream for a later "war is really fucking bad" album. Alas, nothing yet.)
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Re: I Refuse To Accept The Official Interpretation Of THE WALL

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:31 pm

Nordling wrote:Listening to it this week, I think the album (not the film) plays perfectly in these post-911 days of isolation and paranoia. I'd really like to see someone make another film of THE WALL but instead of it being about some pampered rock star's sense of isolation from his fans, it being about a family trying to sort out their lives after 9/11, and touch upon the various themes resonating throughout the album and apply them to today's modern political sensibilities.

The world after the 9th November attacks isn't really as different as it is made out to be.

Survey the world's population and you'll find the majority don't feel any more or less isolated and paranoid as before.

The Wall's theme of isolation from others doesn't just apply to the "rock star" scenario portrayed in the film (although that does obviously play a part in the LP too) - distancing from parents, isolation from peers, from society...they are all covered...

...although Roger Waters does come off as a bit of a twunt in the process.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:16 pm

I never liked The Wall. Always felt it was Roger Waters just being a 'twunt' as my esteemed colleague FG puts it. Wish You Were Here remains my favourite Floyd album.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:14 pm

Wish You Were Here is a masterpiece. The Wall is a bloated piece of egomania, except for "Comfortably Numb", which has one of the greatest guitar solos of all time as its coda.

If Roger Waters hadn't been such a twunt, then Pink Floyd wouldn't have disintegrated, and the combination of Waters' lyrics and Gilmour's music would have resulted in more classic Floyd albums.
minstrel

Return to Music