Bonnaroo 2007!!!

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Bonnaroo 2007!!!

Postby Bean on Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:11 pm

Hey guys, I got back from Bonnaroo last night but had no time to post about it cause the 15 hour drive was exhausting. I went straight to bed to wake up at 6am this morning for work! What a killer! To avoid a long post detailing everything that happened, here are convenient power-point-bullet-points for ya!

- Took two cars down, my brother and cousin and I in my car, my cousin's two friends in another. Thank god we did, because 10 hours into the trip near Roanoke, Virginia my car overheated! We got it to a GM dealership with a garage but had to wait 5 hours till they opened.

- So we lost five hours, to make up for it we pushed the speed limit. Bad idea.... Close to the end of Virginia we got pulled over by a total asshole cop. He told us they were pulling over any car from out of state cause they knew they were going to Bonnaroo and they KNEW everyone had drugs. Yeah... okay. I got us out of it (we were carrying) by reminding him of our rights and he couldn't search the car.

- We wait 4 hours to move 4 miles once we get to the festival. On the way in, we pass a car that needs a jump. We offer to help and get their car working. The two girls are incredibly nice but have a lame kid with them. We decide to camp together once we get in.

- We set up camp, by now it's 7pm and we're exhausted. Turns out the kid they were with was Fran's boyfriend, and they broke up because he was going crazy or something. He went to stay with his friends, they stayed with us. The awkwardness of sharing a campsite didn't last long with them, all of us were real chill. Ended up friending both of them during the weekend, the three of us went and saw Dr. Dog, Regina Spector and Spoon on Saturday. One of them lives in NYC and we'll probably chill sometime this summer. I love making new friends and to find people so randomly was just awesome!

-Drugs: absolutely. Anything you wanted. Real cheap too. I did a tab of acid that probably got evaporated by the 100 degree heat, so I didn't have a crazy trip. We got DMT on Saturday, and were laying around waiting for the 15-20 minute trip to start when two guys came over and asked if they could smoke with us. I thought they were the rudest dealers I had met at Bonnaroo and managed to get out "Fuck you man this is--" and was going to say DMT but one of them flashed a badge.

Yeah a badge. We got busted for smoking weed as they were too ALF to notice the difference. They were nice enough to draw up a 400 dollar citation for pocession of a marijuana pipe, instead of a 900 dollar citation for pocession of weed. As they were drawing it up, they asked "So did ya'll see Tool!?!?" I wanted to shake my head and sigh but instead played along and said we could hear them from our camp and they sounded pretty good.

We told everyone we met to look out for two shaved-head-military-types in tie dye shirts at the campsites.

- Sunday I tripped on mushrooms and had an ego death. For the first time my mind was in control of my body, which I realized only wanted to consume and keep itself alive while the mind just wanted to explore and see the world and understand. I somehow got to Bob Weir, where I sat on the ground for an hour before they started. I peaked, and I saw myself existing outside of time and space. I could actually see time move across me and propel me forward in it. Everything that was, is and will be existed simultaneously. It was a whole new way to view my life. Me at two years old existed with my current self and future self. Later I came back to my body and spent time digging at the ground, colors would bleed out from where my fingers had made lines and grass would flow out after it.

- Bob Weir started and I couldn't understand what was wrong. I realized after a while that each instrument and each individual note that was played I was hearing separately. I had to focus on the drums and bass to put together the puzzle of each song.

Suddenly I came to and realized they were playing 'Help on the Way' and I got up and cheered and danced my ass off for the rest of the show. It was the best one I saw.

-Sleeping there sucked. Would wake up at 7am every morning because it was far too sunny and was all ready 90 degrees at that time. Crazy.

- Run down of what I saw in order:

- Friday

-Spearhead. AMAZING show! They played a diverse set, but the theme was the same: end the war, bring peace to the world, co-exist! Stand out songs: Stir it Up (Bob Marley cover), Sesame Street jam (as Franti said, the only song that everyone, hippie, metal head, gangsters all would sing together.)

- Lily Allen. Incredible voice. Great stage personality. She drank Yaeger for the five songs I stayed for. I danced the whole time her music is so infectious!

- The Roots. Saw their last few songs as Lily Allen was scheduled at the same time. The show was jumpin and they encored with Roxeanne with ?uestLove singing.

-String Cheese Incident. This was scheduled at 11-3:30am with SuperJam. I was so pissed, how could I split time between them? And how could I stay awake that late when I was only getting 5 hours of sleep a night? We saw their first few songs, but it sucked... they just weren't into it. We left for John Paul Jones and SuperJam.

- SuperJam = amazing. Heard Dazed and Confused live and that's as close to Zepp as I'll ever be I guess. John Paul Jones is my god.

- Saturday:

- Dr. Dog. Never heard of them, but Mer wanted to hang out that day so I saw what she wanted to see. Glad I did! Had a lot of fun with her, but was introduced to bands I never would have watched. Dr. Dog was great, we danced to them the entire show.

- Mer really wanted to see Regina Spektor, I had never heard of her but she told me of I liked Lily Allen because of her voice, I would dig Spektor's. We got there early and got to the front! Mer was real excited to be so close, apparently she sees her on the subway a lot and is always too shy to say hi. But damn we were close! Mer didn't lie, her voice is incredibly haunting and beautiful. She transformed simple city living into beautiful lyrics which read like poetry. She had such a cute personality, when she messed up she screamed and said "This never happens when I'm playing by myself in my room!!!"

- Ziggy Marley. Music must be inherited through genes. Rocked out just like his dad did.

- Keller Williams and the WMD'S. Saw a few songs, but it wasn't the Keller I had expected, so I left to see Spoon.

- Spoon. Great time, danced the whole show and got to like them even more.

- The Police. Missed a few songs because I helped Mer and Fran get out of the camping area so Mer could catch a flight home. The Police were amazing, I never was a big Police fan but they really did rock the place. The downside? They finished an entire 50 minutes early. Ouch.

- Gov't Mule (and friends). Michael Franti, Lewis Black (yeah Lewis Black) and JOHN PAUL JONES all contributed. JPJ played No Quarter and I could die happy.

- Sunday

- Bob Weir and Ratdog. Incredible, added to the shroom trip. It was like seeing the Grateful Dead, (I saw the Dead a few years ago and it could not compare to this show). Help on the Way > Slipknot! > Minglewood Blues > She Says > Money for Gasoline, Hell in a Bucket > The Other One > solos > Come Together > Throwing Stones > Slipknot > Franklin's Tower, E: Samson and Delilah. WOW!

- We could leave happy after seeing that show, so we skipped out on the White Stripes and Widespread Panic. It was a great choice because there was no traffic.

- I drove to Roanoke, got there at 2:30am. I couldn't stand sleeping in the car so my cousin and I decided to lay out a blanket by the side of the car, and fit the rain tarp over us as a lean-to. When I woke up at 7am there were several people staring at us wondering what we were doing.

- Got to the dealership where we said good bye to my car. Got everything we wanted out of it, and even siphoned half a tank of gas out of it. It's going to end up in a demolition derby an excitable employee told us.

- Got home around 7:30 that night.

WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP ITS BEEN!
Last edited by Bean on Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:20 pm

Fear & Loathing in Tennessee: The Riotous, Rollicking Saga of a Drug-Guzzling Democrat.

Glad to see you had a good time, Bean.

And seeing as how brock's currently AWOL, it'll have to be me chiming in with the slobbering seediness:

Did

You

Get

Any

More

Scratchin'

Action?

If you know what I mean...
Last edited by Seppuku on Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Re: Bonnaroo 2007!!!

Postby Fievel on Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:29 pm

Bean wrote:Suddenly I came to and realized they were playing 'Help on the Way' and I got up and cheered and danced my ass off for the rest of the show. It was the best one I saw.

Bob brought you back.
That is SO awesome!!

That line I quoted sounds like me multiple times in the mid-1990's. Too bad you couldn't see Widespread Panic. They tend to put on a great show. But the best part is reading how members of the Grateful Dead are still bringing smiles to young people's faces after all these years. Glad you ended up having a safe time.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:35 pm

Bean wrote:I got us out of it (we were carrying) by reminding him of our rights and he couldn't search the car.

risky my man...couldn't he have said his "suspicion" was based on ya'll going to Bonnaroo? Glad you escaped that unscathed. One trick I've always pulled is to keep a prescription bottle that's not in your name in plain sight, and with it with just regular tylenol. They see that, that ask questions, and then generally don't snoop around the rest of the car...

Bean wrote:Spoon on Saturday.

did Brit beatbox? I've seen 'em in small clubs, how were they in that environment?

Bean wrote:but one of them flashed a badge....Yeah a badge.

I'm fairly certain the state of Tennessee thinks of Bonnaroo as free money...they know most of ya'll (who pay. I wouldn't, seeing how I never plan on living in a state that axed the great memflix!) won't contest it and will just send 'em a check.

Bean wrote:As they were drawing it up, they asked "So did ya'll see Tool!?!?"

what you should've said was we just saw two of 'em.

Bean wrote:We told everyone we met to look out for two shaved-head-military-types in tie dye shirts at the campsites.

crickey Bean, I know you were blazed, but if they were wearing Full Blooded Italian shirts would you have caught on?

Bean wrote:Sunday I tripped on mushrooms and had an ego death. For the first time my mind was in control of my body, which I realized only wanted to consume and keep itself alive while the mind just wanted to explore and see the world and understand...I peaked, and I saw myself existing outside of time and space. I could actually see time move across me and propel me forward in it. Everything that was, is and will be existed simultaneously. It was a whole new way to view my life. Me at two years old existed with my current self and future self. Later I came back to my body and spent time digging at the ground, colors would bleed out from where my fingers had made lines and grass would flow out after it.

beautiful.

Bean wrote:and danced my ass off for the rest of the show.

you dirty hippies do give dancing a bad name tho'...

:wink:

Bean wrote:Spearhead.

he puts on a free show in Golden Gate park every year, good stuff...well, aside from the political diatribes.

Bean wrote:Lily Allen.

did the ladies try to grind against you during "Not Big"?

Bean wrote:The Roots.

?uestlove was asked about hippies...

"They pay my bills."

Now go seek out the "original hip-hop band" Stetsasonic!

Bean wrote:Spoon. Great time, danced the whole show and got to like them even more.

ah, there's hope for you yet!

Bean wrote:WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP ITS BEEN!

goddamn it, I wish I was young again...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bean on Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:45 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Fear & Loathing in Tennessee: The Riotous, Rollicking Saga of a Drug-Guzzling Democrat.

Glad to see you had a good time, Bean.

And seeing as how brock's currently AWOL, it'll have to be me chiming in with the slobbering seediness:

Did

You

Get

Any

More

Scratchin'

Action?

If you know what I mean...

Too focused on the music and the fun for that actually. It didn't reall cross my mind, though hippie chicks are HOT as hell. Since it was 100 degrees all weekend, most went with out tops. :wink:
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Bean on Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:55 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Bean wrote:I got us out of it (we were carrying) by reminding him of our rights and he couldn't search the car.

risky my man...couldn't he have said his "suspicion" was based on ya'll going to Bonnaroo? Glad you escaped that unscathed. One trick I've always pulled is to keep a prescription bottle that's not in your name in plain sight, and with it with just regular tylenol. They see that, that ask questions, and then generally don't snoop around the rest of the car...

I could type the whole story out but it's not worth it. He did search the trunk because Brendan let them. When he came to ask to search our bags, I told him flat out he couldn't. He blufffed getting dogs to the car, I stuck with my story that I had nothing to hide and he got pissed enough to let us go. Meredith and Fran got pulled over too and almost got in trouble for having migraine medicine in the car :\

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Bean wrote:Spoon on Saturday.

did Brit beatbox? I've seen 'em in small clubs, how were they in that environment?

Left two songs early, he may have :P

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Bean wrote:but one of them flashed a badge....Yeah a badge.

I'm fairly certain the state of Tennessee thinks of Bonnaroo as free money...they know most of ya'll (who pay. I wouldn't, seeing how I never plan on living in a state that axed the great memflix!) won't contest it and will just send 'em a check.

Yeah they do. No WAY I was driving back to contest that... would spend 400 on gas anyway!

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Bean wrote:As they were drawing it up, they asked "So did ya'll see Tool!?!?"

what you should've said was we just saw two of 'em.

Not that mean :wink:

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Bean wrote:We told everyone we met to look out for two shaved-head-military-types in tie dye shirts at the campsites.

crickey Bean, I know you were blazed, but if they were wearing Full Blooded Italian shirts would you have caught on?

They walked right in because the bowl was out. No way I would've bought from them if they tried to trap us. Not that dumb :wink:

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Bean wrote:Sunday I tripped on mushrooms and had an ego death. For the first time my mind was in control of my body, which I realized only wanted to consume and keep itself alive while the mind just wanted to explore and see the world and understand...I peaked, and I saw myself existing outside of time and space. I could actually see time move across me and propel me forward in it. Everything that was, is and will be existed simultaneously. It was a whole new way to view my life. Me at two years old existed with my current self and future self. Later I came back to my body and spent time digging at the ground, colors would bleed out from where my fingers had made lines and grass would flow out after it.

beautiful.

Yes it was, I only wish I could've video taped it.

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Bean wrote:and danced my ass off for the rest of the show.

you dirty hippies do give dancing a bad name tho'...

:wink:

Take. That. Back! :P

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Bean wrote:Spearhead.

he puts on a free show in Golden Gate park every year, good stuff...well, aside from the political diatribes.

That's what makes it good though :wink:

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Bean wrote:Lily Allen.

did the ladies try to grind against you during "Not Big"?

LOL they were all cheering after Lily spent 10 minutes explaining the story for that song. It got to the point where the three guys I was with were like "okay... yeah guys suck... get on with the music..."

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Bean wrote:The Roots.

?uestlove was asked about hippies...

"They pay my bills."

Now go seek out the "original hip-hop band" Stetsasonic!

Sting is also a douche, but when the music goes on I could care less... apparently the singer for Tool hates his fans and is (for lack of a better word) a tool, they don't mind for some reason.

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Bean wrote:Spoon. Great time, danced the whole show and got to like them even more.

ah, there's hope for you yet!

I was digging all of it man so much good music.

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Bean wrote:WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP ITS BEEN!

goddamn it, I wish I was young again...

You should. :wink:
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Bean on Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:03 pm

Fievel wrote:
Bean wrote:Suddenly I came to and realized they were playing 'Help on the Way' and I got up and cheered and danced my ass off for the rest of the show. It was the best one I saw.

Bob brought you back.
That is SO awesome!!

That line I quoted sounds like me multiple times in the mid-1990's. Too bad you couldn't see Widespread Panic. They tend to put on a great show. But the best part is reading how members of the Grateful Dead are still bringing smiles to young people's faces after all these years. Glad you ended up having a safe time.

Bob rocked my world man! I love Panic a lot but could deal missing them. Apparently it wasn't too great a show anyway.

Phil Lesh and Friends also put on a great show (too bad they weren't there!), but for some reason the Dead never seems to do it. I can still jam out to all the concerts they put on back in the good ol' days!
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:11 pm

Bean wrote:Phil Lesh and Friends also put on a great show (too bad they weren't there!), but for some reason the Dead never seems to do it. I can still jam out to all the concerts they put on back in the good ol' days!

All post-Jerry incarnations of the Dead (The Other Ones, The Dead, Phil & Friends, even Ratdog) have been more solid than the Grateful Dead were the last 10-15 years out. The members have been pretty upfront and said that they just stopped rehearsing as a group. Pity.
Give me some good ol' 1971-1974 any day of the week.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Bean on Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:23 pm

Fievel wrote:
Bean wrote:Phil Lesh and Friends also put on a great show (too bad they weren't there!), but for some reason the Dead never seems to do it. I can still jam out to all the concerts they put on back in the good ol' days!

All post-Jerry incarnations of the Dead (The Other Ones, The Dead, Phil & Friends, even Ratdog) have been more solid than the Grateful Dead were the last 10-15 years out. The members have been pretty upfront and said that they just stopped rehearsing as a group. Pity.
Give me some good ol' 1971-1974 any day of the week.

My favorite years! My friend swears by the Mydland years but Jerry just sounded so awful in the 80s and 90s and I can't listen to it. It's depressing. Weir's voice still rocks almost as good as it did in the 70s!
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby The Ginger Man on Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:05 pm

DUDE!!!!! I am soooo fucking jealous. I made it to Bonnaroo in '04...Dylan was there...and the effin' Dead...god, I loved it. Sucks that you ran into a narc, though. You never like to see that happen at such a massive drug fest. Still, sounds like you had a great time. Wish I could have been there. Hopefully in '08!!!
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Fievel on Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:17 pm

Bean wrote:My favorite years! My friend swears by the Mydland years but Jerry just sounded so awful in the 80s and 90s and I can't listen to it. It's depressing. Weir's voice still rocks almost as good as it did in the 70s!

Ewwww. Brent is soooo 1980's. He is cheese to me, and not the good stuff. And you're right - Jerry's voice was shot during those years. I blame Brent partially for the change in sound from the mid-70's. I was/am just a bigger fan of the jazz/funk exploration years that peaked with the Blues For Allah album. Man, could you imagine the shitstorm if an American band came out with a CD called "Blues For Allah" these days?
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Return to Music