RIP Luciano Pavarotti

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

RIP Luciano Pavarotti

Postby minstrel on Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:04 am

Pavarotti just died.

I know opera isn't popular around here, but my mom was a big fan of his.

And he recorded with a bunch of rock stars.

And he hit the high Cs like nobody else.

RIP, sir.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:11 am

my lord. I didn't realize he'd been diagnosed with cancer last year.

CNN story: here

He was a legend. Rest in Peace.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:13 am

Sad day indeed.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby vicious_bastard on Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:30 am

Genuinely sad. I can't listen to Nessun Dorma without welling up at the memory of the 1990 World Cup. An absolute legend.

Opera gets a bad rap because of all the pretentious toffs who spend a fortune on tickets but I seriously recommend giving it a chance. If you like movies there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to enjoy an opera, just make sure you read up on the basic story first. A little bit of effort for a big pay off.

RIP.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:40 am

Most everyone here has heard something that he recorded.
He was a legend.

RIP.

p.s. Good call on Nessun Dorma, VB. I have zero emotions regarding the World Cup, but that piece itself can make me crumble - especially when performed as masterfully as Pavarotti did.

Nessun Dorma

Pavarotti & James Brown
Last edited by Fievel on Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Lady Sheridan on Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:50 am

Opera is beautiful when performed right, and Pavarotti was a master. Anyone who can hold his own with the classics AND Bono deserves praise.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby buster00 on Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:47 am

Aaayy, I coulda hadda da V8, eh?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby banthafodderUK on Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:22 am

RIP big fella!

(only 12 months til the jokes are acceptable :()
wii code 0186 4330 3469 8398 use it mofo's!
banthafodderUK
AIRWOLF

RIP Luciano Pavarotti

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:31 am

Im really bummed about this one.

Im not an opera guy, fuck if the man didnt have the voice of a god! takes a lot to hit those high notes.

Not to mention that he always reminded me of John Rhys-Davies
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:10 am

Never really like that flavour ice cream, but man it's said it's gone anyway.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby vicious_bastard on Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:22 am

Movie making is child's play compared to writing operas. If you only ever listen to one, it should be Wagner's 'Der Ring des Nibelungen'. Singlehandedly, it took him 26 years to write and score (for a full orchestra) the full fifteen hour epic. One of the greatest achievements in any artform ever IMO. Wagner EVEN designed the concert hall where the first performance was held and created a few new instruments for the orchestra. Mindboggling.

Just humming Nessun Dorma (which I have been doing all day) sends shivers down my spine. Still, Pav had a good run - 71 is a good innings for a man of his size.

edit: Nessun or Nessum? I have read about six conflicting spellings in various obits. Dino?
Last edited by vicious_bastard on Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:31 am

vicious_bastard wrote:Movie making is child's play compared to writing operas. If you only ever listen to one, it should be Wagner's 'Der Ring des Nibelungen'. Singlehandedly, it took him 26 years to write and score (for a full orchestra) the full fifteen hour epic. One of the greatest achievements in any artform ever IMO. Wagner EVEN designed the concert hall where the first performance was held and created a few new instruments for the orchestra. Mindboggling.

Just humming Nessun Dorma (which I have been doing all day) sends shivers down my spine. Still, Pav had a good run - 71 is a good innings for a man of his size.

edit: Nessun or Nessum? I have read about six conflicting spellings in various obits.

It's his fault for writing 15 hours worth of music. Jesus, did he even think of radio airplay when he released it? How were the PD's going to slot in something that long?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby vicious_bastard on Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:33 am

Heheh, it would have made a good pitch.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:07 am

Very sad news indeed.
Even if you weren't an opera fan, you had to respect the skills, because they were undeniable.
Listening to Ms Sarajevo right now.
damn that boy could make noise.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby papalazeru on Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:53 am

I've got tickets for his funeral for a tenor.

*ba-bom tshhhh!*
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby banthafodderUK on Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:05 am

papalazeru wrote:I've got tickets for his funeral for a tenor.

*ba-bom tshhhh!*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

A man goes up to the barman and says that he can fart the nation anthem. "Go on then," he said. the man jumped on to the bar, and shat all over it. "What the f**k are you doing?" said the barman. "Hey, even Pavarotti needs to clear his throat before a performance!"
wii code 0186 4330 3469 8398 use it mofo's!
banthafodderUK
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:09 am

at least he won't be harrassing wild animals anymore........wha............wrong thread???

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby vicious_bastard on Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:09 am

I wonder if he has begun Pavarotting yet?
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:13 am

I wonder if the queen's going to break a bottle of champagne over the bow of the coffin before they slide it into the grave?
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:56 am

OK, I don't listen to a lot of his stuff but still....... living legend in his own genre and regarded as one of the best, so it's sad that his presence here with us is now gone. Hope he didn't suffer too much too.

We'll miss him no longer being around.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby LaDracul on Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:30 am

I'm imagining he's up there, doing a duet with Beverly Sills...
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:12 am

I remember watching the 3 Tenors with my parents. He was such a talent. This is so sad. First I've heard of this today.

May he rest in peace!
Maui
WoWie

Postby PF Moon Deux on Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:26 am

RIP, uomo grande.

PF Moon Deux

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:23 am

stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:33 am

Inna case a you missed it alla'ready when a the Feivel, he posted it (like a the stereos, he apparently did), here it is again, eh?

Pavarotti and James Brown
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby unikrunk on Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:38 am

Rest in peace, big guy.

/my dad looks like a weird hybrid of Pavarotti and Dom Deluise.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:43 am

Hey, have any of you seen this?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:46 am

Fried Gold wrote:Hey, have any of you seen this?

Nope I missed it.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:47 am

IPAMPIVU!!
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby RaulMonkey on Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:41 pm

I'd now like to post a superhero story that I wrote when I was eleven years old, where I did Mr. Pavarotti the honour of making him the villain. Not sure why I did. But it goes to show how much a part of the cultural consciousness he was. Rest in peace, good sir.

DAMAGEMAN

CHAPTER 1 THE MAKING OF DAMAGEMAN

"I sure am bored." said Dan Roberts of the Rapid City police. Little did he know that he was about to embark on the adventure of his life.

"Calling all cars, calling all cars, Luiciana Pavorotti seen kidnapping a white female, five foot five, about one hundred and ten pounds at six six five Memorial drive. crakled the raido.

"Thats my house" yelled Dan. Dan picked up the radio and said "This is car one twenty, tell me the suspets license plate, over."

"Car one twenty, the suspects license plate is, A B C dash one two three, over." said the raido.

Luckily as Dan was reving up his car at the local conveince store Luiciana drove by. "Excellent." said Dan, but Luiciana had spotted the police car and was speeding away. Dan started chasing after him.

They ended up in driving into the robot factory parking lot. Then Luiciana ramed his car into Dan's. The car went flying into the robot factory. A bucket of tar (that they use for glueing pieces on) fell on Dan. Robot pieces were flying everywere. A bunch of them fell on Dan. In a big flash of electricity what was left of Dan and a different looking car came flying back out.

In a scare Luiciana screamed and drove away.

CHAPTER 2 THE DISCOVERY

"Whats his problem." wondered Damageman. Damageman got out of the car and surprisedly said "WHOA, what happened here." His white police car had turned into a black Porshe. "It would look better if it was a Corvette." he thought. Sunnenly it turned into a Corvette. Again he surprisedly said "WHOA."

Then he saw status reports in front of eyes. "What." he thought. He looked in the cars rear view mirror then saw what had happened. "NOOOOOOO." he shouted!

He did not like being Damageman. "Look on the bright side..." he thought "...at least now I can fight crime better." but he still did'nt like being Damageman.

Then he heard an alarm, immeadeatly he thought "This is a job for um...er...um Damageman!"

CHAPTER 3 DAMAGEMAN FOILS ROBBERY

Then Damageman turned on his rockets (on his feet) and flew across the street to the bank. When he walked in the robbers and the people screamed. "Don't worry, I'm here to get them" he said as he pointed to the robbers. "Now I can test my powers." said Damageman. The robbers were scared.

He walked up to one of the robbers and kicked him in the face. Immeadeatly he was knocked out. The second robber pulled out a pair of nunchucks in a flash. "Go easy on me, this is my first time." said Damageman in a grueling voice. The robber swung the nunchucks at Damageman but he grabbed them and kicked him in the leg with tremendous force. His legs were broken.

The third robber pulled out a huge sword and yelled out in Chinese. Damageman just shot him with a laser.

Everybody clapped, Damageman bowed and said "Thank you but duty calls." A status report flashed in front of Damageman's eyes that said Luiciana Pavorotti's hide out is the Rapid City Apartments, so he flew there.

CHAPTER 4 REVENGE

When Damageman landed he thougt, "I'm really going to get this guy." He walked in and saw Luiciana eating in the restaurant. Damageman went to Luiciana and said "BOO." Luiciana screamed and ran into the elevator.

The doors closed seconds before Damageman could reach it. Annoyed by the delay he forced the doors open with tremendous strengh and in a firey blue he flew up the shaft.

He busted in through the bottom of the elevator just as Luiciana ran out. Damageman picked up Luiciana and hung him out the window and let go. When Luiciana fell landed on a trampoline that the police set up. (Damageman called)

Damageman ran with excitement to where his girlfreind was tied up and untied her. She said with bewilderment "Who are you?"

"I'm Dan" he replied "I'll explain on the way to the robot factory." he said

CHAPTER 5 THEY LIVED HAPPILY EVER AFTER

Then at the robot factory they gave him a pill. In a flash of electricity there was Dan.

"Will you marry me?" said Dan

"Yes" said his girlfriend

So two months later they got married and lived happily ever after.

THE

END
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby buster00 on Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:37 am

unikrunk wrote:Rest in peace, big guy.

/my dad looks like a weird hybrid of Pavarotti and Dom Deluise.

See, until now, I could never prove that DeLuise and Pavarotti weren't the same person.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby monorail77 on Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:33 pm

RIP Pavorotti. Absolutely brilliant singer, better even than Caruso, I think

And I am one of the 14 people on this fine planet who enjoyed Yes, Georgio. I saw it twice on pay TV when I was about 12, I think. Great film. Good companion piece to So Fine, which I also enjoyed greatly around that time.
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby vicious_bastard on Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:37 pm

Popbitch, this week wrote:We recall a story we wrote about him in 2003. While rehearsing for his farewell performance at Covent Garden, Pavarotti sloped off to his dressing room with two female dancers. And was discovered a little later, by the runner sent to retrieve him, enjoying oral sex from one, while the other held his stomach out of the way.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Return to Music