Led Zeppelin Reuniting!

Sigur Ros is the greatest living band. Discuss.

Led Zeppelin Reuniting!

Postby Fievel on Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:22 pm

Led Zeppelin Reuniting for Concert

"How did you find out about this?" asked Plant when asked about the prospects of a reunion show by the autograph hunter. "Well, we've got a band meeting about it this afternoon about it. There's not a lot to work out as it's only going to be one-off gig."

NME.com has also learned from a music industry source that the show, possibly to take place in November at the 02 in London, will be a charity gig organized by promoter Harvey Goldsmith.

I still don't see why they just didn't include John Paul Jones in the Page/Plant stuff in the 90's. Hopefully they all still "have it".
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Mighty Manfred on Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:24 pm

Someone I worked with back then told me Jones just wasn't interested. I dont' know if that's accurate, but as bumpy a ride as they had the first time around I can see wanting to keep life quiet and simple.
Hey, kids! Draw right on your computer screen!
Mighty Manfred
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Re: Led Zeppelin Reuniting!

Postby minstrel on Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:25 pm

Fievel wrote:Led Zeppelin Reuniting for Concert

"How did you find out about this?" asked Plant when asked about the prospects of a reunion show by the autograph hunter. "Well, we've got a band meeting about it this afternoon about it. There's not a lot to work out as it's only going to be one-off gig."

NME.com has also learned from a music industry source that the show, possibly to take place in November at the 02 in London, will be a charity gig organized by promoter Harvey Goldsmith.

I still don't see why they just didn't include John Paul Jones in the Page/Plant stuff in the 90's. Hopefully they all still "have it".

Holy shit!!!!

Actually, I kind of expect to be underwhelmed by this. John Paul Jones, I'm sure, has maintained his skills, but the last I heard, Page is a shadow of his 70s self, and who knows if Plant has the voice he had 35-40 years ago. My guess is that he hasn't.

I hope this doesn't turn out to be an embarrassment.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Re: Led Zeppelin Reuniting!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:28 pm

minstrel wrote:I hope this doesn't turn out to be an embarrassment.

That's the more likely situation. Comparatively anyway.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fievel on Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:32 pm

Plant has seemingly taken decent care of himself. As he gets older and older, you can still see the happy youth inside of him.

Page, however....
When I saw Page & Plant in 1995, I was disgusted by Page's lack of skills. I don't know if he was intoxicated or just out of shape, but every solo he had was a boring and pathetic disaster.

I can see JPJ maintaining his proficiency.

But overall, I agree Mistrel - I'm not preparing to be wowed. I guess the only hope is that they're decent enough to be remembered positively for playing together again.

Kind of like Pink Floyd last year - not a perfect performance by ANY means, but good enough.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby tapehead on Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:37 pm

John Paul Jones was actually busy collaborating, producing and arranging for everyone from REM to the Foo Fighters to Brian Eno. He might be the most musically talented of the three of them, and certainly seems to be the one least content to rest upon his laurels.

This will make you tired just looking:

http://www.johnpauljones.com/bio.html
Last edited by tapehead on Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby DennisMM on Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:38 pm

What I've heard is that Page is simply in bad shape because of drugs. Plant, though fit, is 59 years old. You can't sing "Rock and Roll" night after night without straining. You see the strain with operatic tenors as they age. Pavarotti was a prime example and I suspect Plant won't be able to keep up, though I hope he can.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:20 am

Who's going to be playing for John Bonham?

This is badass news though.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby DennisMM on Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:27 am

His son has worked with Page/Plant. Wonder if it will be Jason again?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:03 am

tapehead wrote:John Paul Jones was actually busy collaborating, producing and arranging for everyone from REM to the Foo Fighters to Brian Eno. He might be the most musically talented of the three of them, and certainly seems to be the one least content to rest upon his laurels.

This will make you tired just looking:

http://www.johnpauljones.com/bio.html

Gibby Haynes of the Butthole Surfers said that JPJ was the only producer they ever had that made them write down and keep track of what they did in the studio. Which is probably why Independent Worm Saloon sounds so coherent for a Surfers record.

I wish someone would release a recording of the 1993 VMA performance with Lenny Kravitz. I caught every repeat of that show I could because that performance of "Are You Gonna Go My Way" was so good. I'm jonesing to hear it now that I think of it.

Last I heard about Page he had a great time touring with The Black Crowes because having the extra guitar players freed him up to go nuts but he hurt his back and had to drop out. I think the back problem is what has kept him out of the spotlight the last few years. It might help if he stopped playing those 11 pound Les Pauls.

I'm curious to see who the drummer will be. Jason would be a good choice. I know there was a big push a couple years back for them to hire Dave Grohl, which wouldn't bother me a bit. I'd crawl over your dead grandmother to get tickets to that show.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:11 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Last I heard about Page he had a great time touring with The Black Crowes because having the extra guitar players freed him up to go nuts but he hurt his back and had to drop out. I think the back problem is what has kept him out of the spotlight the last few years. It might help if he stopped playing those 11 pound Les Pauls.

Damn right! Also, if he's going to insist on playing Les Pauls (which he should do if he wants to preserve the sound of the Zep originals) he shouldn't hang the bloody thing so bloody LOW!! This below-the-knees guitar shit just KILLS the spine! Les Paul himself never dreamed of wearing his guitar that low. It may look cool when you're young, but when you're old, nothing looks less cool than being carted off stage by emergency medical technicians because your guitar sprained your back.
minstrel

Postby vicious_bastard on Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:25 am

DennisMM wrote:His son has worked with Page/Plant. Wonder if it will be Jason again?

Apparently so according to nme.com. I would do anything to make it to this show, apart from quit my job and spend 600 quid on a return flight. I still maintain that Zep are far better live than in the studio. The BBC Session they did is incredible.

Jimmy Page is second only to Hendrix IMO. I learned lead guitar by playing The Stone Roses Second Coming note-for-note over the course of three years or so before getting into Zeppelin - ten years later I am still trying to do the same with Jimmy.

Heheh, my mate's missus looks like Robert Plant which makes for many hilarious song-related quips. Funnily enough I haven't spoken to him in two years ;)
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:04 pm

Mick Jagger is 60, he still seems to be able to bring down the house.

I would expect the same from Plant.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Chilli on Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:05 pm

Oh no...

Good times, bad times, you know I had my share...

I'm feeling it...
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Maui on Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:07 pm

Chilli wrote:Oh no...

Good times, bad times, you know I had my share...

I'm feeling it...

It's been a long time since I rock and rolled
It's been a long time since I did the Stroll
Maui
WoWie

Postby Chilli on Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:09 pm

Great band. Wouldn't say they're my favourite, or the best, but when they were good they were very good, and when they were bad... well, they had their share.

Going To California is, for me, the most beautifully fucked up song of all time.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby minstrel on Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:14 pm

Maui wrote:Mick Jagger is 60, he still seems to be able to bring down the house.

Vocally, though, Jagger never does anything remotely as demanding as Plant, and never has. Sure, Jagger is an amazingly energetic performer, but he doesn't push his voice much. I'm not sure Plant can still scream the way he used to.
minstrel

Postby Maui on Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:15 pm

Chilli wrote:
Going To California is, for me, the most beautifully fucked up song of all time.

I truly enjoy Going to California!!!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:17 pm

minstrel wrote:
Maui wrote:Mick Jagger is 60, he still seems to be able to bring down the house.

Vocally, though, Jagger never does anything remotely as demanding as Plant, and never has. Sure, Jagger is an amazingly energetic performer, but he doesn't push his voice much. I'm not sure Plant can still scream the way he used to.

Seems to be alot of these bands resurfacing after many years of downtime. A friend of mine is going to see the Scorpions next weekend. It will be interesting to hear his comments, how they sound. The lead singer had (maybe still has) an incredible voice. They are all likely in their late 50s as well.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:51 pm

Tickets are by lottery, go here to throw your name in the pot. I'd like to but at $250 for just the ticket and then airfare and lodging I'll have to wait for their next show. Yeah, I know.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:20 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Tickets are by lottery, go here to throw your name in the pot. I'd like to but at $250 for just the ticket and then airfare and lodging I'll have to wait for their next show. Yeah, I know.

$250? That's nuts - no way I'm paying that to see ANY band.
Maui
WoWie

Postby minstrel on Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:33 am

Maui wrote:
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Tickets are by lottery, go here to throw your name in the pot. I'd like to but at $250 for just the ticket and then airfare and lodging I'll have to wait for their next show. Yeah, I know.

I'd pay $250 for Led Zeppelin. I'd also pay it to see The Who, if Entwistle and Moon were still alive. I'd pay it to see Genesis - the OLD Genesis, before Phil Collins took over and turned them into a pop nightmare. Give me Genesis with Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett, and I'm there with big money for my ticket.

I'd pay big money to see Yes (with Rick Wakeman on keys), or a version of Jethro Tull that included Barriemore Barlow on drums. I'd pay big money to see Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, if Keith Emerson wasn't suffering from the hand ailments that have prevented him from amazing me these past years.
minstrel

Postby Maui on Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:43 am

minstrel wrote:
Maui wrote:

I'd pay $250 for Led Zeppelin. I'd also pay it to see The Who, if Entwistle and Moon were still alive. I'd pay it to see Genesis - the OLD Genesis, before Phil Collins took over and turned them into a pop nightmare. Give me Genesis with Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett, and I'm there with big money for my ticket.

I'd pay big money to see Yes (with Rick Wakeman on keys), or a version of Jethro Tull that included Barriemore Barlow on drums. I'd pay big money to see Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, if Keith Emerson wasn't suffering from the hand ailments that have prevented him from amazing me these past years.

Yeah but Squirrelly, you are nuts!

I know they are legends just too much money for me. In a way, I like to remember them in their prime as well.
Maui
WoWie

Postby minstrel on Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:51 am

Maui wrote:Yeah but Squirrelly, you are nuts!

I know they are legends just too much money for me. In a way, I like to remember them in their prime as well.

I'm NOT nuts!!

At least not much ... :)

You're young, Maui. When you're old and you have more money and you want to recover your youth, you will find yourself willing to pay large amounts for whoever you love right now.

:wink:
minstrel

Postby Maui on Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:14 pm

minstrel wrote:
Maui wrote:Yeah but Squirrelly, you are nuts!

I'm NOT nuts!!

At least not much ... :)

You're young, Maui. When you're old and you have more money and you want to recover your youth, you will find yourself willing to pay large amounts for whoever you love right now.

:wink:

hahaha, perhaps! Who knows, right now, I'm only willing to fork out $50 or so for a concert ticket! ;)
Maui
WoWie

Postby bluebottle on Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:17 pm

minstrel wrote:
Maui wrote:

You forgot DLR Van Halen... You should edit your post and put it back in, because clearly... you forgot.

:)
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:58 pm

$250 tickets are ridiculous. i wanted to see the police, but when i saw they were asking $225 a ticket, i said forget it. as it turns out, one of my favourite newer bands, who are still in their prime, are playing the same night, and for only about $15 a ticket. easy choice.

about the only band i'd be willing to pay $250 for is if the beatles reunited, including john and george. probably i'd pay it to see the smiths reunite too. or if xtc ever decided to play a live show. i'd resent them for charging so much though.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Maui on Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:08 pm

TheBaxter wrote:$250 tickets are ridiculous.

What he said!
Maui
WoWie

Postby DennisMM on Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:32 pm

I paid eighty bucks for Lyle Lovett and k.d. lang and thought that was outrageous, but it was a theater show and a double-headline sort of program. But $250 is sheer highway robbery. Springsteen with the E. Streeters in 2000 was only $75!
DennisMM

Postby The Todd on Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:34 pm

I would pay $250 to see the Beatles, if Lennon and Harrison were still alive. But that's about it.....
i reject your reality and substitute my own
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby bluebottle on Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:03 pm

In general, I think that reunions ruin whatever legend status a band might have.

I would have hated a Beatles reunion. McCartney's voice is shit now. Lennon's would have been worse from all the smoking.

Did anyone see McCartney's cavern club gig, where he played with David Gilmour?

Ugh.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:14 pm

I saw The Police. Paid $250 a ticket (my wife and I went). Outstanding show. Not sure if it was $500 worth of outstanding, but I'm glad I went.

I'd pay $250 for Led Zeppelin tickets, but only everyone sans Bonham, including John Paul, were there. No Plant/Page for me, thanks.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Fawst on Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:22 pm

The Todd wrote:I would pay $250 to see the Beatles, if Lennon and Harrison were still alive. But that's about it.....

I don't even like the Beatles that much, but I would pay $250 to see them reunited and play simply because watching Zombie Lennon and Zombie Harrison would entertain the SHIT out of me.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:04 pm

...Plus maybe we could get Zombie Lennon to eat Yoko's brains...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby bluebottle on Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:05 pm

tapehead wrote:...Plus maybe we could get Zombie Lennon to eat Yoko's brains...

this is all just so stupid.

i would pay WAY more than 250 to see that!
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:13 pm

well, as long as we're talking fantasy gigs...

i'd pay $250 to see someone... anyone... punch dave matthews in the mouth repeatedly.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Maui on Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:16 pm

Bluebottle wrote:In general, I think that reunions ruin whatever legend status a band might have.

There you go, listen to the Canadian, he knows what he is talking about!
Maui
WoWie

Postby The Vicar on Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:28 pm

Those ticket prices are insane.
For that kind of money, I full well expect to see undead members of the band pony up for the fans. I want the original gorram lineup, not the one dude who sat in with the band for an album & 1/2 with a bunch of pikers.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby tapehead on Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:31 pm

TheBaxter wrote:well, as long as we're talking fantasy gigs...

i'd pay $250 to see someone... anyone... punch dave matthews in the mouth repeatedly.

That would Rock!

...more than the Dave Matthews Band
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby DennisMM on Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:16 am

"Crash into me ... baby ...

NO, NOT REALLY! AAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!"
DennisMM

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:54 pm

If you pre-order The Complete Led Zeppelin or the new collection Mothership from iTunes you are entered into a drawing for tickets to the show, tickets to the dress rehearsal, round-trip airfare, and three days accommodation in London. You have until November 12. Legal mumbo jumbo, which also has details on how to enter without a purchase.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:10 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:If you pre-order The Complete Led Zeppelin or the new collection Mothership from iTunes you are entered into a drawing for tickets to the show, tickets to the dress rehearsal, round-trip airfare, and three days accommodation in London. You have until November 12. Legal mumbo jumbo, which also has details on how to enter without a purchase.

WOW, now that's a fucking prize package!

you don't need to buy the complete collection... that mumbo jumbo link has an "enter for free" link (twich I did).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:04 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:If you pre-order The Complete Led Zeppelin or the new collection Mothership from iTunes you are entered into a drawing for tickets to the show, tickets to the dress rehearsal, round-trip airfare, and three days accommodation in London. You have until November 12. Legal mumbo jumbo, which also has details on how to enter without a purchase.

dude, no matter what i search for on iTunes nothing by Led Zeppelin comes up, only cover bands like Dred Zeppelin and Led Zepagain
Last edited by Peven on Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby tapehead on Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:17 pm

Peven wrote:

dude, no matter what i search for on iTunes nothing by led Zepplein comes up,

You're spelling it wrong.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Peven on Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:18 pm

tapehead wrote:
Peven wrote:

dude, no matter what i search for on iTunes nothing by led Zepplein comes up,

You're spelling it wrong.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

i didn't spell it wrong when i did the search, which i have done many times on itunes and still.....nothing by Led Zeppelin

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby tapehead on Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:45 pm

:-P

I get these 'new music tuesday' emails from ITunes, the last one got the Led out

http://www.apple.com/itunesnews/us/

I think the deal is you can only pre-order their songs at this point
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Peven on Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:59 pm

aaahhh, that clears that up

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:19 am

The show has been postponed until December 10 because Page broke his finger. He's also been making comments that they may tour.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:24 pm

The general consensus appears to be that the show was phenomenal. *crosses fingers for a tour*

Set list:
Good Times, Bad Times
Ramble On
Black Dog
In My Time of Dying
For Your Life (first time ever played live)
Trampled Under Foot
Nobody's Fault but Mine
No Quarter
Since I've Been Loving You
Dazed and Confused
Stairway to Heaven
The Song Remains the Same
Misty Mountain Hop
Kashmir

Encore:
Whole Lotta Love
Rock and Roll
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:04 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:The general consensus appears to be that the show was phenomenal. *crosses fingers for a tour*

Set list:
Good Times, Bad Times
Ramble On
Black Dog
In My Time of Dying
For Your Life (first time ever played live)
Trampled Under Foot
Nobody's Fault but Mine
No Quarter
Since I've Been Loving You
Dazed and Confused
Stairway to Heaven
The Song Remains the Same
Misty Mountain Hop
Kashmir

Encore:
Whole Lotta Love
Rock and Roll

We know someone who knows someone who was THERE.

Dale- when your friend gets back we need a full report! Of the show itself and your friend's band's performance at the after party.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Next

Return to Music